Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview 12:44 - Nov 22 with 7141 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I have an interview tomorrow for a job as a virtual Health Coach, with a London/Stockholm-based, virtual healthcare, start-up company who are operating in the UK and a few European countries.

The advert simply stated 'competitive compensation package' so I am guessing they might ask me what my salary expectations are. I have no idea how to answer this in an interview, so can anyone please give me some recommendations?

They know from my application that I would be bringing knowledge and experience through working as a physiotherapist. If I were still in the NHS I'd probably be a Band 6 by now, which would be £35,392.

Although this role isn't specifically that of a physiotherapist, I'd not like to be relatively highly underpaid for the transferable skills and knowledge that I'd be bringing, although I'm not imagining that they would be offering £35k for this role.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:47 - Nov 22 with 3956 viewsfactual_blue

Say what you've just written. Honesty is the best policy and all that.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:51 - Nov 22 with 3925 viewshomer_123

So, in regards to work, money is not everything, far from it.

I've changed jobs to do something I enjoy/ enjoy more or a better work/life balance and taken a pay cut to do so and cut my cloth to suit.

That being said, you still need to earn enough and know what your worth is.

You need to have a figure in mind that you are happy with.

I echo Facters on this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:54 - Nov 22 with 3915 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:47 - Nov 22 by factual_blue

Say what you've just written. Honesty is the best policy and all that.

Good suggestion. I'd not want to appear unrealistic and risk creating a bad impression and shooting myself in the foot, however.

I just Googled 'virtual health coach salary' and the results showed an average of £26,736 in the UK generally, and an average of £28,513 in London.

I suppose it goes back to the idea of asking for more than you realistically want/expect, to show some 'compromise' when they subsequently want to bring it down.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:56 - Nov 22 with 3908 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:51 - Nov 22 by homer_123

So, in regards to work, money is not everything, far from it.

I've changed jobs to do something I enjoy/ enjoy more or a better work/life balance and taken a pay cut to do so and cut my cloth to suit.

That being said, you still need to earn enough and know what your worth is.

You need to have a figure in mind that you are happy with.

I echo Facters on this.

Agree with you completely. I really am happy as long as I can pay my way in the world and ideally have a bit left over for fun.

I've already considered the fact that I'd also save a reasonably substantial amount of money per month on fuel and vehicle costs, for example, by working virtually.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:59 - Nov 22 with 3891 viewsfactual_blue

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:54 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

Good suggestion. I'd not want to appear unrealistic and risk creating a bad impression and shooting myself in the foot, however.

I just Googled 'virtual health coach salary' and the results showed an average of £26,736 in the UK generally, and an average of £28,513 in London.

I suppose it goes back to the idea of asking for more than you realistically want/expect, to show some 'compromise' when they subsequently want to bring it down.

Exactly. Stress your qualifications and spell out your transferable skills. Then go on to the 'having said that...' bit where you can emphasise that the job isn't an exact match with your skill set, but you're keen to move into this area of work, blah, blah....

So, realistic and flexible. And ideally, let them be the ones to talk numbers first.

Good luck.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 13:11 - Nov 22 with 3830 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:59 - Nov 22 by factual_blue

Exactly. Stress your qualifications and spell out your transferable skills. Then go on to the 'having said that...' bit where you can emphasise that the job isn't an exact match with your skill set, but you're keen to move into this area of work, blah, blah....

So, realistic and flexible. And ideally, let them be the ones to talk numbers first.

Good luck.

Thank you.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 13:44 - Nov 22 with 3734 viewsbluelagos

One golden rule when negotiating is to get the other guys to name a figure first. If asked, a polite "I am hoping for the market rate" will leave the ball in their court.

Imagine if they are happy to pay you £30k? By stating you are after £25k you've just lost £5k. If they are only willing to pay £20k, you're still no worse off.

So keep your final figure close to your chest - by giving it away all you've done is potentially given away a chunk of salary. If the employer has a problem with that - just call their bluff. They'll be very used to an employee not wanting to state their exact salary expectations early on in the interview process.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 13:58 - Nov 22 with 3691 viewsEddyJ

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 13:44 - Nov 22 by bluelagos

One golden rule when negotiating is to get the other guys to name a figure first. If asked, a polite "I am hoping for the market rate" will leave the ball in their court.

Imagine if they are happy to pay you £30k? By stating you are after £25k you've just lost £5k. If they are only willing to pay £20k, you're still no worse off.

So keep your final figure close to your chest - by giving it away all you've done is potentially given away a chunk of salary. If the employer has a problem with that - just call their bluff. They'll be very used to an employee not wanting to state their exact salary expectations early on in the interview process.

"Anchoring" is the theory that whatever the first bid is in negotiation creates a range of acceptable counter offers around it.

For example, if the first bid is £40k, someone might find it acceptable to counter with £30k, but not £10k. If the first bid is £60k, you might counter with £45k but not £30k.

For that reason, its generally best practice to offer first.

That said, you don't want to go so high that you price yourself out of the market.
Login to get fewer ads

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:01 - Nov 22 with 3675 viewsElderGrizzly

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 13:58 - Nov 22 by EddyJ

"Anchoring" is the theory that whatever the first bid is in negotiation creates a range of acceptable counter offers around it.

For example, if the first bid is £40k, someone might find it acceptable to counter with £30k, but not £10k. If the first bid is £60k, you might counter with £45k but not £30k.

For that reason, its generally best practice to offer first.

That said, you don't want to go so high that you price yourself out of the market.

Too high, I also would think if you were perfect for the job you are going to leave within 12 months for a better paid job.

Recruitment is a pain in the arse, so I want someone in for a decent period of time.

Look to show growth, ask them what their plans are for the company, where your opportunities are, so if you are taking a 'cut' you know where the potential is to grow.
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:09 - Nov 22 with 3637 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Replying to the last three posts simultaneously.

So if/when they ask me, I could say something like:

'I am considering the transferable skills and knowledge that I would bring in to the company from my practice as a physiotherapist, which could help the company to develop and for myself to be able to continue to grow in this role. If I were currently pursuing a new role as a physiotherapist in the NHS my expected salary at the moment would be around £35k. However, I understand that this is a different role for which the market rate may not be as high as this. I am flexible with regards to salary as I'm very interested in this role, so I'd be hoping for at least the market rate'.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:12 - Nov 22 with 3607 viewsitfc_bucks

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 12:56 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

Agree with you completely. I really am happy as long as I can pay my way in the world and ideally have a bit left over for fun.

I've already considered the fact that I'd also save a reasonably substantial amount of money per month on fuel and vehicle costs, for example, by working virtually.

I remember those days.

I genuinely sat down with my then manager and said that I reckoned, as a newly married man, if I earnt £x, I think I'd be happy and able to sustain the essentials, have a bit of fun money left over.

How wrong was I?!
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:15 - Nov 22 with 3580 viewsgordon

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 13:44 - Nov 22 by bluelagos

Completely agree with this advice. I've always just said:

"I expect to be appropriately rewarded given my level of experience and the responsibilities of the role, and I'm happy to consider an offer from you if you are keen for me to be part of the team."

If you say a number higher than what they're willing to pay you won't get it - if you say a number lower, you will - so you won't win by saying a number first!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:17]
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:17 - Nov 22 with 3567 views_clive_baker_

The first thing I would say is not to read too much into what Google tells you by way of a range. Salaries can vary significantly depending on a lot of factors, and while start-ups can sometimes be higher in risk, they can compensate in reward. Not just in terms of salary, but potentially equity too, so it's important to understand the full package.

Salaries in Sweden are also a touch higher than the UK, so their rooting in Stockholm & London might mean their expectations with regards to compensation are higher than yours and your NHS experience.

The point I'm making is one others have made, and that's to not show cards to the extent you undersell yourself. I would bat it back without putting a number on it personally, a bit of filler then something along the lines 'I would be interested to hear from you where you see this role sitting with regards to the compensation' if you are asked that question directly.

First things first though just concentrate on putting yourself in a position where they really want you to join them. That's always going to be the bit in your control that will give you the best chance of getting a compelling offer.

Lycka till
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:18 - Nov 22 with 3549 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:15 - Nov 22 by gordon

Completely agree with this advice. I've always just said:

"I expect to be appropriately rewarded given my level of experience and the responsibilities of the role, and I'm happy to consider an offer from you if you are keen for me to be part of the team."

If you say a number higher than what they're willing to pay you won't get it - if you say a number lower, you will - so you won't win by saying a number first!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:17]

I think not stating a number seems to be the best option.

'I am considering the transferable skills and knowledge that I would bring in to the company from my practice as a physiotherapist, which could help the company to develop and for myself to be able to continue to grow long-term in this role and company. So I hope to be appropriately rewarded given my level of experience, and would be happy to consider the offer if you'd like me to be part of the team'.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:21]

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:25 - Nov 22 with 3493 views_clive_baker_

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:18 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

'I am considering the transferable skills and knowledge that I would bring in to the company from my practice as a physiotherapist, which could help the company to develop and for myself to be able to continue to grow long-term in this role and company. So I hope to be appropriately rewarded given my level of experience, and would be happy to consider the offer if you'd like me to be part of the team'.

Something like that. Positive and upbeat, and vague enough not to put a number on it. Leave them really wanting you in the company and the ball in their court to make you an attractive offer. Certainly don't do the 'I could earn £35k in the NHS but I appreciate this might be lower' bit you proposed.
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 3460 viewsfactual_blue

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:18 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

But end with

'However, if you are considering a derisory offer, please be aware that my associates are currently outside your houses and are experienced kidnappers.'

That's always worked for me.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:31]

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:43 - Nov 22 with 3420 viewsmutters

As somebody who has often changed jobs I'd give you my twopence worth. Firstly where I agree that money isn't everything, there is nothing more frustrating when you find out the person next to you, who does the same role earns more than you due to them negotiating. It's important that you find a number that you are happy with but is also a fair rate for the role within the company you are joining

To that affect I always ask for the range of the salary for the role on offer before replying. Put it back to them to set the numbers and then you can go from there. For me it often depends on what my level of responsibilities are before I could answer that question with a number.

Also know what the market rate is for your role. Private companies will often pay more than the public sector

One more point, I'd normally know the salary range before having an interview to be honest. It saves both sides time and hassle if it turns out they are not paying what I'd consider for that role.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:47]

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:52 - Nov 22 with 3366 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:43 - Nov 22 by mutters

As somebody who has often changed jobs I'd give you my twopence worth. Firstly where I agree that money isn't everything, there is nothing more frustrating when you find out the person next to you, who does the same role earns more than you due to them negotiating. It's important that you find a number that you are happy with but is also a fair rate for the role within the company you are joining

To that affect I always ask for the range of the salary for the role on offer before replying. Put it back to them to set the numbers and then you can go from there. For me it often depends on what my level of responsibilities are before I could answer that question with a number.

Also know what the market rate is for your role. Private companies will often pay more than the public sector

One more point, I'd normally know the salary range before having an interview to be honest. It saves both sides time and hassle if it turns out they are not paying what I'd consider for that role.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:47]

Thank you.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 14:59]

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:56 - Nov 22 with 3342 viewsvilanovablue

Having spent 20 years in recruitment and sales don't discuss salary in an interview unless you have to, the interview is a chance for you to find out about them and vice versa. You may sell yourself short because you don't know what they think is competitive. Happy to answer any DM's
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:59 - Nov 22 with 3313 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:56 - Nov 22 by vilanovablue

Having spent 20 years in recruitment and sales don't discuss salary in an interview unless you have to, the interview is a chance for you to find out about them and vice versa. You may sell yourself short because you don't know what they think is competitive. Happy to answer any DM's

Thanks. I'll go with what I've suggested if asked, and leave it in their court.

Does 'competitive wage' usually translate as 'not good enough for us to want to publish it on the advert'?

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 15:24 - Nov 22 with 3240 viewsbluelagos

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:59 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

Does 'competitive wage' usually translate as 'not good enough for us to want to publish it on the advert'?

So most companies will have a salary band for a position. It can be quite wide, say £25 to £35k.

So they won't state as they will wish to get you as cheap as possible. If they advertised at £35k they'll pay £35k.

Also, state £25k and they might lose a very good candidate who expects and is worth £35k.

Also, as above, nothing wrong with not discussing salary until the end of the process By then you know they want you, you are the best option they have. They won't want to start the process again or go to a rejected candidate.

The later in the process you negotiate, the stronger your position imho.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 15:36 - Nov 22 with 3209 viewsvilanovablue

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 14:59 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

It can do I mean it's such a general expression, I see it daily. One man's idea of competitive is another man's idea of cheap. It generally means that they have a range which could be anywhere on the scale you consider competitive. As a general rule any decent hiring manager would never discuss it anyway as it leaves them stranded too. If you impress the range that is competitive can get bigger. I've been involved in about 100 hires over the last 2 years working for a consultancy. As a result I have done a lot of interviews.
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 16:33 - Nov 22 with 3101 viewsNutkins_Return

No. It's fairly normal since they are not public sector with set pay band and likely hire people with different experience levels and so have people on different money so don't want to publish it. Fair enough.

I agree with what someone else said it's not ideal process not to have a salary discussion pre interview (as everyone could be wasting their time). Salary should not be discussed in an interview. Very poor practice as ut puts interviewee in awkward spot and more likely to say lower and this will cause issues for everyone at offer stage.

If asked politely advise you would prefer to discuss specifics if successful. It will do you know harm to mention you are speaking to a few companies with a range of salaries between £30-40k. It's not all about the money of course and this role does sound really appealing. Words to that effect. If you are the guy this will focus their minds not to lowball you.
FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 16:29 - Nov 23 with 2804 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Update: Interview went well. It was just a quick 15 minutes introduction to discuss the company and why I wanted to join. The recruiter at the company who interviewed me said that my profile had jumped out from amongst the applications. So I am expecting a more formal interview to be arranged.

He asked re my salary expectations (as he said that they themselves don't yet know what the salary would be), so I gave the deliberately vague answer that I posted here. But he wanted to know how much I'd be likely to be on back in the NHS so I told him the £35k, but stressed that money isn't the most important thing etc.

Hopefully if future interview goes well then at least they'll know not to completely lowball me.

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 16:40 - Nov 23 with 2773 viewsbluelagos

FAO anyone in recruitment re salary conversation in interview on 16:29 - Nov 23 by ThisIsMyUsername

Update: Interview went well. It was just a quick 15 minutes introduction to discuss the company and why I wanted to join. The recruiter at the company who interviewed me said that my profile had jumped out from amongst the applications. So I am expecting a more formal interview to be arranged.

He asked re my salary expectations (as he said that they themselves don't yet know what the salary would be), so I gave the deliberately vague answer that I posted here. But he wanted to know how much I'd be likely to be on back in the NHS so I told him the £35k, but stressed that money isn't the most important thing etc.

Hopefully if future interview goes well then at least they'll know not to completely lowball me.

Nice one.

You seem to have convinced yourself that £35k is beyond what they'll pay. Wondering why, is that just on the basis of the google search of what similar roles pay?

Am sure "market rate" for the role will be a factor, but so too will the quality of candidate and what you are worth to them.

I remember once holding out for a few more grand from an employer (an internal move) and simply asked "Do you want me to fully focused and committed in this role or looking for another job because I feel underpaid/valued? "

I got what I was after - don't for a moment forget that you and your skills are valuable and shouldn't be undersold. In my experience getting decent rises within a role is a rarity - the time you get them are when changing positions!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024