Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another sporting transgender dilemma… 11:38 - Nov 21 with 8516 viewsSitfcB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67482965

Perhaps they should set up a league just for them? Would be fairer.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 11:02 - Nov 22 with 610 viewsBlueDouglas

Oof this issue is not going to go away any time soon, not when people are so divided on it.

Just looking at my friend group I can see some very different opinions. Some people believe that even if a man undergoes gender reassignment surgery, they are still a man. Others believe that if you undergo surgery, you can become a woman. Others believe that if you feel and behave like you are a woman, then you are a woman for all intents and purposes.

Pretty irreconcilable.
Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 11:03 - Nov 22 with 607 viewsitfcjoe

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 18:11 - Nov 21 by DanTheMan

There are certain things you gain if you go through male puberty that aren't reversible, as far as I understand it.

They will have lower levels of testosterone though I believe.

Not 100% certain so if someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

Yep, all studies have shown a reduction in the 'male advantage' as opposed to an eradication of it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 11:39 - Nov 22 with 557 viewsRyorry

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 16:15 - Nov 21 by Kropotkin123

Last season I played in a mixed gender league. I had to hold back on the physicality, but the women still had good control/skills, so it was enjoyable for me and the team. The women know the men hold back more on the physicality and the men know they will be penalised for mild physicality.

The point here is there is agency and agreement to play together in a certain way. Not some telling me or the women to play together. Even at lower participatory levels, this agency is important.

I think at the lower/grass roots levels, local clubs are likely to be able to work out the best resolution themselves, because each person, club, league & therefore 'case' will be different. I think most clubs & leagues would do their utmost to be inclusive, whilst remaining safe & fair.

Totally different in elite, professional sport, where it's been known for trans females to sweep the board in womens' events. You can't have inclusion of a minority over fairness for the majority there, because if you did, cis females would simply stop competing in those events - meaning the very sport that trans women want to compete in would cease to exist anyway.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 14:47 - Nov 22 with 463 viewsVegtablue

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 11:03 - Nov 22 by itfcjoe

Yep, all studies have shown a reduction in the 'male advantage' as opposed to an eradication of it

In addition to the above, identifying as transgender is separate from transitioning. Studies naturally focus on trans athletes who rigidly receive hormone therapy, or have undergone gender affirmation surgery or both, but medically transitioning isn't a necessary part of being trans and it isn't always a linear process either, with hormone treatment sometimes paused and sometimes discontinued

Studies that have received the most media attention in recent years involve intersex athletes, rather than trans athletes, and women's middle-distance running was the epicenter of this controversy. A trans female powerlifter in Canada is currently obliterating her competition and raising national records by a third, which may suggest she is competing without hormone treatment.

Away from elite sport I'd like to see inclusion where safe and it's depressing that Charlie's daughter hasn't been accommodated. If someone isn't compromising player safety and trampling over sporting integrity, i.e. they fit inside the range of the cis women they're competing with, it would clearly be so beneficial for them to continue doing what they enjoy among the gender they identify with. Such decisions shouldn't reside with men though.
Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 15:30 - Nov 22 with 429 viewsitfcjoe

Another sporting transgender dilemma… on 14:47 - Nov 22 by Vegtablue

In addition to the above, identifying as transgender is separate from transitioning. Studies naturally focus on trans athletes who rigidly receive hormone therapy, or have undergone gender affirmation surgery or both, but medically transitioning isn't a necessary part of being trans and it isn't always a linear process either, with hormone treatment sometimes paused and sometimes discontinued

Studies that have received the most media attention in recent years involve intersex athletes, rather than trans athletes, and women's middle-distance running was the epicenter of this controversy. A trans female powerlifter in Canada is currently obliterating her competition and raising national records by a third, which may suggest she is competing without hormone treatment.

Away from elite sport I'd like to see inclusion where safe and it's depressing that Charlie's daughter hasn't been accommodated. If someone isn't compromising player safety and trampling over sporting integrity, i.e. they fit inside the range of the cis women they're competing with, it would clearly be so beneficial for them to continue doing what they enjoy among the gender they identify with. Such decisions shouldn't reside with men though.

And the crazy thing re womens middle distance running, is that because it has only happened at those distances then they were at one point the only events when there was a ban on intersex athletes.....there wasn't enough evidence in other events so they were let until more recently and you saw a number of intersex athletes move from 400 and 800m races to 200m for the Tokyo Olympics

In the 800m Final at the 2016 Olympics, all 3 medalists were intersex - Caster Semenya, Francine Niyonsaba and Margaret Wambui - which when 1 in every 20,000 people are intersex is crazy.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024