Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? 20:09 - Nov 20 with 1089 viewsBent_double

I bought a pair of Hoka running shoes on a whim about 3 months ago, after I received a spam email from a company claiming that these were the best shoes for road runners because of their incredible cushioning.

So, bought a pair, cost around £80, so definitely in the budget range, they arrived a couple of days later, so I put them on and went out for my first run.

A few kilometers later, I was in absolute agony, every part of my legs and feet were hurting, but somehow I managed to finish the run, but I was seriously considering putting them back in the box and returning them.

Well, I didn't, and after a couple of months 'breaking-in' I now find them incredibly comfortable and I'm glad I persisted with them, but I've never know a shoe take so long to break-in - if you have a pair you'll know the soles are really thick, which is probably why.

Anyone else got them or thinking of getting them? Have the same problems breaking them in? To be honest, I'm put off buying them again, unless I just wear them around the house for a few months first.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 20:45 - Nov 20 with 1043 viewsBrianTablet

When I was doing high mileage, I always aimed for the shoe with the least cushioning and heel drop. A running shoe shouldn't cover up issues with your running form. If you run in flatter 'race' shoes, your body will grow stronger and less injury prone.

I went down heel drops to 4mm or zero in my racing flats. It has to be done steadily, but I believe it's worth it in the long-term.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 21:09 - Nov 20 with 1018 viewsunbelievablue

Hokas are class. I love them. I hate Adidas. A friend loves Adidas, hates Hokas. Another friend hasn't worn anything but Nike for 15 years. Horses for courses

Re: breaking in, don't recall those problems. Was it a hard/fast/difficult terrain run? I always do about 5km nice and slow with new shoes to minimise potential effects.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 21:11]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 21:20 - Nov 20 with 994 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not a brand I've ever used. I did buy a pair of Nike Vaporfly running shoes specifically for racing though. They are extremely fragile. The uppers feel like paper and thr soles like Marshmallow, and they would fall apart if I used them for any other reason than an official race. They are also next to impossible to walk in as it feels like you are walking on ice skates.

Fantastic running shoe though. Took three minutes off my half marathon time and was the most comfortable run I'd ever done.

Highly recommended but you wont get more than 200k out of them.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 21:21]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 21:58 - Nov 20 with 920 viewsBent_double

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 21:09 - Nov 20 by unbelievablue

Hokas are class. I love them. I hate Adidas. A friend loves Adidas, hates Hokas. Another friend hasn't worn anything but Nike for 15 years. Horses for courses

Re: breaking in, don't recall those problems. Was it a hard/fast/difficult terrain run? I always do about 5km nice and slow with new shoes to minimise potential effects.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 21:11]

No, wasn't a hard run, just my usual road run and distance. All previous shoes have been Nikes or Adidas, with absolutely no breaking-in issues at all.

I've still got a few hundred k's to do in the Hokas, so will see in a few months if its worth going for a second pair.

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 22:01 - Nov 20 with 909 viewsunbelievablue

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 21:58 - Nov 20 by Bent_double

No, wasn't a hard run, just my usual road run and distance. All previous shoes have been Nikes or Adidas, with absolutely no breaking-in issues at all.

I've still got a few hundred k's to do in the Hokas, so will see in a few months if its worth going for a second pair.

Best of luck with them.

FWIW I use Hoka Arahis, not Cliftons, sorry.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 22:16 - Nov 20 with 895 viewsBent_double

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 20:45 - Nov 20 by BrianTablet

When I was doing high mileage, I always aimed for the shoe with the least cushioning and heel drop. A running shoe shouldn't cover up issues with your running form. If you run in flatter 'race' shoes, your body will grow stronger and less injury prone.

I went down heel drops to 4mm or zero in my racing flats. It has to be done steadily, but I believe it's worth it in the long-term.

What do you call high mileage? My runs are usually 10k, sometimes just 6k if I can't be bothered....but as I say, just bought these on a whim, I had no idea they were so high compared to my previous shoes.

Question for TWTD runners: anyone wear Hoka Clifton shoes? on 07:01 - Nov 21 with 791 viewsEly_Blue

Never had Hokas I’m afraid, surely a shoe shouldnt take that long to break in or be that thick/heavy soled? ive alway worn Nike pegasus until a couple of weeks before i did a 10k event in October when i purchased a pair of Saucony Endorphin Speed 3, my word what a difference, first time i wore them it took 30 seconds off my average split time over 5k! they have a nylon (the pro version has carbon fibre) plate along the middle of the sole and they are the lightest and least hard wearing shoe ive ever owned but they are so comfortable to run in. i would thoroughly recommend them but at around £150-£160 they werent cheap

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024