Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group 09:22 - Nov 14 with 16088 viewsunbelievablue

Should he have?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 08:46 - Nov 15 with 2152 viewsWeWereZombies

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 03:55 - Nov 15 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Morgan has done a pretty good job having lots of voices from both sides since Hamas broke the ceasefire last month with their brutal massacre. From Shapiro to Corbyn, you can’t really get much more contrasting than that.

Of course he loves clicks and ratings but that’s the business he’s in.

What is more than apparent than ever and highlighted by some of his guests, it’s clearly not a fraction of the far right that is the biggest threat to the Jewish people when it comes to discrimination and racism, it’s the hard left.

Yep, the calls for a new holocaust are definitely coming from the left, I mean anyone wanting a republic is left wing, aren't they ? So when a Republican says 'kill'em all' (typical, copycat language from thirteenth century Inquisition, why can't they find their own phrases...) that must be the hard left speaking:

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2023/11/11/yes-florida-lawmaker-really-said-kil

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 15:23 - Nov 15 with 2024 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 06:59 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

I don’t doubt you believe that. You’re a gullible fool who swallows anything and everything that serves your own pretty self-interested view of the world.

Do you want to try and back that up with any evidence?

So I do sometimes have the unfortunate situation where I read your posts before I login at which time you appear blocked.

I’ve unblocked you so that I can say this quite clearly and hopefully it puts any further interactions to bed. I don’t even mind engaging in debates with people that disagree with me, hell there’s plenty on here with how this board leans.

However, I find you a quite a nasty piece of work whose views are offensive when commentating on this subject. From your defense of known anti semites, offending Jewish posters and the way you even talk about Hamas now. I don’t want any further interactions with someone like this. So please don’t bother responding to my posts, it will clearly only get more personal as you’ve already tried to start here.

So feel free to piss off. Hope that’s cleared this all up for you!
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 15:34 - Nov 15 with 1991 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 15:23 - Nov 15 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

So I do sometimes have the unfortunate situation where I read your posts before I login at which time you appear blocked.

I’ve unblocked you so that I can say this quite clearly and hopefully it puts any further interactions to bed. I don’t even mind engaging in debates with people that disagree with me, hell there’s plenty on here with how this board leans.

However, I find you a quite a nasty piece of work whose views are offensive when commentating on this subject. From your defense of known anti semites, offending Jewish posters and the way you even talk about Hamas now. I don’t want any further interactions with someone like this. So please don’t bother responding to my posts, it will clearly only get more personal as you’ve already tried to start here.

So feel free to piss off. Hope that’s cleared this all up for you!

I prefer not to have interactions with those who take the side of a far-right Israeli regime and can justify killing children as the best way forward.

So I will still counter your posts when you keep pushing those knee-jerk views.

Pronouns: He/Him

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 15:50 - Nov 15 with 1941 viewsCrayonKing

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 08:11 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

It furthers the ability to take the side of the Israeli government and give cover to its extremist aims.

We know that dismissing opposition as terrorism or support for terrorism works. It’s what kept Northern Ireland unresolved for so long, and kept apartheid in South Africa going for at least a decade longer.

But the people who were pushing the terrorism line and trying to police/delegitimise opposition were wrong. As they are now.

People aren't calling Hamas terrorists to delegitimise opposition. They're calling them terrorists because they murdered 1000+ civilians in a truly barbaric attack. It really is that simple.
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:08 - Nov 15 with 1888 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 15:50 - Nov 15 by CrayonKing

People aren't calling Hamas terrorists to delegitimise opposition. They're calling them terrorists because they murdered 1000+ civilians in a truly barbaric attack. It really is that simple.

But it isn’t that simple. The more we single out Hamas and make them the root of this the more innocent civilians die as we’re not taking into account the racist extremism of those who will kill tens of thousands of civilians and displace millions more to achieve their aims. A regime that thinks Palestinians are the problem not just Hamas, and who have been increasingly guilty of destabilising the situation and illegally oppressing Palestinians even before October 7th.

It’s evil against evil. And I’m happy condemning both rather than parroting the Israeli government line that gives them free rein to do whatever they want. Even the US are starting to see the problem with that.

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:19 - Nov 15 with 1858 viewsunbelievablue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:08 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

But it isn’t that simple. The more we single out Hamas and make them the root of this the more innocent civilians die as we’re not taking into account the racist extremism of those who will kill tens of thousands of civilians and displace millions more to achieve their aims. A regime that thinks Palestinians are the problem not just Hamas, and who have been increasingly guilty of destabilising the situation and illegally oppressing Palestinians even before October 7th.

It’s evil against evil. And I’m happy condemning both rather than parroting the Israeli government line that gives them free rein to do whatever they want. Even the US are starting to see the problem with that.

Any reasonable person would condemn Hamas and the Israeli regime for the atrocities committed on both sides. It beggars belief that there are people unwilling to do that, to be honest.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:25 - Nov 15 with 1823 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:19 - Nov 15 by unbelievablue

Any reasonable person would condemn Hamas and the Israeli regime for the atrocities committed on both sides. It beggars belief that there are people unwilling to do that, to be honest.

Indeed. And it truly beggars belief that people are still supporting one side and their “right to self-defence” that involves the killing of thousands of children and the war-criminal collective punishment of 2.3 million civilians.

Such a waste of innocent life and the future security of all civilians caught up in it. But we never seem to learn that lesson so the cycle of violence continues.

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:13 - Nov 15 with 1718 viewseireblue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:19 - Nov 15 by unbelievablue

It is an easy thing to do. Anyone can do it. Lots of people have, Maybe not so Much JC.

But as Roy Hattersley used to say in response to simplistic things, it’s a bit like saying you shouldn’t kick dogs, and you should help elderly people cross the road. It is meaningless.

It isn’t really a debating point. Even if you were to write it in capitals and use exclamation marks, you still aren’t saying anything.

As the wise Mike Tyson used to say, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”

What you do after that is more interesting. Some people want to stick to the same plan, and assume Mike won’t hit them again. He will.
Login to get fewer ads

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:21 - Nov 15 with 1687 viewsphillymark

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 12:10 - Nov 14 by WeWereZombies

Armed wing or terror wing ?

This is the great difficulty with Gaza for some, they can see the wrong of disproportionate response by Israel causing thousands of civilian deaths (and some Hamas deaths) but to show solidarity with Palestine seems to show support of Hamas (given the twenty, thirty or forty percent popular support for Hamas in Gaza according to whose figures you accept and then adjust for Hamas induced pressure to show support.)

So we find ourselves in the position that Great Britain was in from 1916 until the early 1920s with anyone showing support for the Irish Republican Army appearing to be a traitor but anyone with an opposing view appearing to be a stranger to reality. Or anyone who opposed the activities of uMkhonto we Sizwe (the armed wing of the African National Congress) appearing to be a supporter of Apartheid. There are many other instances around the World from current times back through a couple of centuries and perhaps, as a generalisation, we can see this as a result of the establishment of nations careless of the differences within their populations.

What would be a "proportionate response"?

Asked in good faith
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:28 - Nov 15 with 1665 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:13 - Nov 15 by eireblue

It is an easy thing to do. Anyone can do it. Lots of people have, Maybe not so Much JC.

But as Roy Hattersley used to say in response to simplistic things, it’s a bit like saying you shouldn’t kick dogs, and you should help elderly people cross the road. It is meaningless.

It isn’t really a debating point. Even if you were to write it in capitals and use exclamation marks, you still aren’t saying anything.

As the wise Mike Tyson used to say, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”

What you do after that is more interesting. Some people want to stick to the same plan, and assume Mike won’t hit them again. He will.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2023/10/jeremy-corbyn-i-condemn-violence-against-all-ci

“On Saturday, hundreds of innocent people in southern Israel were brutally murdered in a horrifying attack by Hamas. Dozens were taken hostage. Today, and for the rest of their lives, families across Israel will be mourning their loved ones, who were gunned down in a heinous massacre. The fear they must have felt is unthinkable. So too, is the pain and trauma that has been left behind.”

So he can and does condemn Hamas for the atrocities. His critics, none of whom share his pacifism, demand that he follows them down their performative rabbithole of labelling Hamas as terrorists. The same labelling they use to justify or at least provide cover for the horror of what is happening to civilians in Gaza.

More people should read what he has to say on this. I think it is certainly much closer to the path forward for Palestinian and Israeli civilians than the Israeli government’s response.

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:03 - Nov 15 with 1610 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:28 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2023/10/jeremy-corbyn-i-condemn-violence-against-all-ci

“On Saturday, hundreds of innocent people in southern Israel were brutally murdered in a horrifying attack by Hamas. Dozens were taken hostage. Today, and for the rest of their lives, families across Israel will be mourning their loved ones, who were gunned down in a heinous massacre. The fear they must have felt is unthinkable. So too, is the pain and trauma that has been left behind.”

So he can and does condemn Hamas for the atrocities. His critics, none of whom share his pacifism, demand that he follows them down their performative rabbithole of labelling Hamas as terrorists. The same labelling they use to justify or at least provide cover for the horror of what is happening to civilians in Gaza.

More people should read what he has to say on this. I think it is certainly much closer to the path forward for Palestinian and Israeli civilians than the Israeli government’s response.

What are Hamas if not a terrorist group in your opinion?

Labelling them as such is not just a matter of semantics. Legally prescribing them as such makes it more difficult for them to spread hate and propaganda, raise funding, source weapons, components and commodities, at least in the West.

Given that they are a legally designated terrorist group in the UK (plus EU and the US), it’s actually Corbyn that’s quibbling over not using the term, and in the eyes of the law he’s wrong.. And it’s a little silly really, since there’s nothing to be gained from arguing the toss over it, other than once again giving the media ammunition to paint him as a sympathiser.

So TL:DR - Corbyn sh@t the bed again.
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:08 - Nov 15 with 1584 viewslowhouseblue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:03 - Nov 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Labelling them as such is not just a matter of semantics. Legally prescribing them as such makes it more difficult for them to spread hate and propaganda, raise funding, source weapons, components and commodities, at least in the West.

Given that they are a legally designated terrorist group in the UK (plus EU and the US), it’s actually Corbyn that’s quibbling over not using the term, and in the eyes of the law he’s wrong.. And it’s a little silly really, since there’s nothing to be gained from arguing the toss over it, other than once again giving the media ammunition to paint him as a sympathiser.

it's functional for him. it allows him to pretend that there is a false equivalence between hamas and israel and that the only underlying issue is the israeli "occupation". he does it for a clear political purpose.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:11 - Nov 15 with 1570 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:03 - Nov 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I gave my opinion already. They’re like IRA/Sinn Fein with a terrorist militant wing and a political/governmental side. You can’t really separate the two so I don’t think calling them a terrorist organisation is too far from the truth but it’s unhelpful in a war where that terrorist label is being used to justify the excessive killing of civilians and the displacement of 2.2 million people as a direct result.

The key thing is to condemn Hamas’s actions like the massacre on October 7th. Which is absolutely clear in what Corbyn wrote. He wholeheartedly condemns those atrocities in three or four different places. Don’t you agree?

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:16 - Nov 15 with 1558 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:08 - Nov 15 by lowhouseblue

it's functional for him. it allows him to pretend that there is a false equivalence between hamas and israel and that the only underlying issue is the israeli "occupation". he does it for a clear political purpose.

There isn’t a false equivalence. There is a direct correlation and indeed symbiosis between the violent extremists on both sides.

And of course you don’t consider the underlying injustice of the apartheid that the Palestinian people live under as being the critical factor and obstacle to peace. Of course you don’t.

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:21 - Nov 15 with 1540 viewsGlasgowBlue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:11 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

I gave my opinion already. They’re like IRA/Sinn Fein with a terrorist militant wing and a political/governmental side. You can’t really separate the two so I don’t think calling them a terrorist organisation is too far from the truth but it’s unhelpful in a war where that terrorist label is being used to justify the excessive killing of civilians and the displacement of 2.2 million people as a direct result.

The key thing is to condemn Hamas’s actions like the massacre on October 7th. Which is absolutely clear in what Corbyn wrote. He wholeheartedly condemns those atrocities in three or four different places. Don’t you agree?

"I don’t think calling them a terrorist organisation is too far from the truth".

Christ. Why can't you just say, yes Hamas are a terrorist organisation.

It's fine to condemn them for the atrocities of 7/10 but that's not the only terrorist attack they have committed against Israeli citizens. Don't act like up until 7/10 they were an organization that is dedicated towards the good of the Palestinian people and bringing about long term peace and social justice and political justice in the whole region.

They have been bombing and stabbing innocent civilians for over three decades. I asume you condemn all of those attacks?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:32 - Nov 15 with 1526 viewslowhouseblue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:16 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

There isn’t a false equivalence. There is a direct correlation and indeed symbiosis between the violent extremists on both sides.

And of course you don’t consider the underlying injustice of the apartheid that the Palestinian people live under as being the critical factor and obstacle to peace. Of course you don’t.

any equivalence between hamas and israel is false and is only pushed by people with a one-sided political agenda.

the history of this situation is far more complex than you are prepared to recognise and you continue to push a one-dimensional and one sided version. you are anti-israel and the rest is all just excuses for that.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:32 - Nov 15 with 1526 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:21 - Nov 15 by GlasgowBlue

"I don’t think calling them a terrorist organisation is too far from the truth".

Christ. Why can't you just say, yes Hamas are a terrorist organisation.

It's fine to condemn them for the atrocities of 7/10 but that's not the only terrorist attack they have committed against Israeli citizens. Don't act like up until 7/10 they were an organization that is dedicated towards the good of the Palestinian people and bringing about long term peace and social justice and political justice in the whole region.

They have been bombing and stabbing innocent civilians for over three decades. I asume you condemn all of those attacks?

Sigh.

I condemn violence full stop. So of course I condemn those attacks, even if they want to call it the right to self-defence.

Now your turn. Can you condemn the illegal bombing and collective punishment carried out by the Israeli government in their attack on the Gazan population? Will you call for a ceasefire to prevent more atrocities or are these atrocities a price worth paying for?
[Post edited 15 Nov 2023 18:41]

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:33 - Nov 15 with 1507 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:32 - Nov 15 by lowhouseblue

any equivalence between hamas and israel is false and is only pushed by people with a one-sided political agenda.

the history of this situation is far more complex than you are prepared to recognise and you continue to push a one-dimensional and one sided version. you are anti-israel and the rest is all just excuses for that.

Pathetic. As per.

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:55 - Nov 15 with 1442 viewsWeWereZombies

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:21 - Nov 15 by phillymark

What would be a "proportionate response"?

Asked in good faith

That's a very good question, phillymark. And a difficult one. How did Great Britain (as it was then) respond to The Easter Rising ? With armed force and hardline units such as the Black and Tans (sometimes drawn from recently released prisoners, not a million miles away from what Wagner Group were performing in Russia not so long ago.) That within six years the Irish Free State was formed shows that genuine imbalances in a political state cannot be suppressed by military force (see also Vietnam.)

How did the Apartheid regime respond to terrorist attacks and township violence by Umkhonto we Sizwe and the more extreme ANC activists still inside South Africa (I mentioned the horrific use of tyres full of burning petrol placed on the shoulders of dissenting voices on Noggin's Palestine thread) ? The Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg has an impressive collection of armoured vehicles and other equipment used for repression (razor wire is sometimes put forward as the only invention to come out of that era.) Did it work ? Not for long, the whole World could see the injustice, despite the cruel and vindictive nature of the internal 'disciplining' and the cowardly attacks on isolated farmsteads. The Truth and Reconciliation hearings are, even in small part, a difficult watch - sometimes for the lack of remorse shown by participants.

I could go on listing instances from every continent, some apparent successes (Rwanda, North Macedonia) as well as abject failures (India and Pakistan...and Kashmir in relation to both) but I need to come back to your question of proportionality. Hopefully I have made clear my pragmatic position of disproportionate armed force having an adverse effect. I also need to advance the humanitarian argument, as the United Nations have done, on the unfairness of collective responsibility.

But the Hamas atrocity of 7th October must be addressed as justice needs to be done by bringing the perpetrators to a position where they account for their crimes. To let them die with all guns blazing only makes them martyrs in the eyes of some (I was in Newry a few years ago and passed a placard outside a Republican area that stated 'We Salute The Men Of Violence' with, as usual for Northern Ireland, quite well executed drawings of IRA terrorists) but, I accept, capture is incredibly difficult under the circumstances. Nevertheless an approach that used more of a policing mentality and did not appear to be Biblical vengeance would, in my opinion, have kept the United Nations and significant Muslim nations such as Jordan, Egypt and Turkey (who have recently removed their diplomatic mission from Israel) onside and perhaps enabled progress to be made by cooperation with nations who also stood to gain by the reduction in influence of Hamas.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 20:01 - Nov 15 with 1362 viewsBlueForYou

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 18:16 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

Upvoted in error.
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 22:42 - Nov 15 with 1233 viewseireblue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 17:28 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

Corbyn’s pacifism, to continue the analogy, is to repeatedly get punched, whilst trying to say, “…if you could let me finish..”, but failing.

“I am a pacifist in principle, but I am not an absolute pacifist.”

Said someone once, when noticing something.
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:08 - Nov 15 with 1195 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 16:08 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

Oh Darth!

It is really easy. It is possible to condemn Hamas and Netanyahu's response.

It is possible to support the Palestinian Authority's restraint and abhor those in the UktraZionist Settler movement who have attacked Palestinians in recent weeks.

It is possible to do all that without being an Anti-Semite.

However, it isn't possible to defend Corbyn without supporting someone who calls friends those who call for the death of all Jews, because he has done that in the past,and, sadly, when given an opportunity to distance himself from them in the light of all that has happened in recent weeks, failed to do so.

Which leads to the conclusion that he is at the very least, in TWTD parlance, if not an Anti-Semite, standing very closely (shoulder to shoulder?) to people who are Anti-Semites.

Sue me Corbyn, you pitiful, vain, Brexit enabling tw@.
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:41 - Nov 15 with 1153 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:08 - Nov 15 by ArnoldMoorhen

Oh Darth!

It is really easy. It is possible to condemn Hamas and Netanyahu's response.

It is possible to support the Palestinian Authority's restraint and abhor those in the UktraZionist Settler movement who have attacked Palestinians in recent weeks.

It is possible to do all that without being an Anti-Semite.

However, it isn't possible to defend Corbyn without supporting someone who calls friends those who call for the death of all Jews, because he has done that in the past,and, sadly, when given an opportunity to distance himself from them in the light of all that has happened in recent weeks, failed to do so.

Which leads to the conclusion that he is at the very least, in TWTD parlance, if not an Anti-Semite, standing very closely (shoulder to shoulder?) to people who are Anti-Semites.

Sue me Corbyn, you pitiful, vain, Brexit enabling tw@.

I don't think anyone has addressed this yet. Maybe you can relate your comments to this?

Edit: Should work now.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 0:00]

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:57 - Nov 15 with 1120 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:41 - Nov 15 by Darth_Koont

I don't think anyone has addressed this yet. Maybe you can relate your comments to this?

Edit: Should work now.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 0:00]

Just getting a 404 Page Not Found error.

What do you want me to address?
Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:59 - Nov 15 with 1110 viewslowhouseblue

Corbyn refuses to call Hamas a terror group on 23:57 - Nov 15 by ArnoldMoorhen

Just getting a 404 Page Not Found error.

What do you want me to address?

it's just corbyn saying there's no difference between israel and hamas but it's all israel's fault. same old same old.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024