Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My concern is the downward trend of performances 08:46 - Nov 8 with 2817 viewsiamipswich

We've picked up results against Bristol City and Plymouth, arguably both had an element of fortune. Followed by the draws with Birmingham and Rotherham, again both way off it.

Swansea will be very interesting. At home against a team that will look to play. That should suit us down to the ground. If we're sluggish and struggle to create again, then I will just have a sliver on concern about where this season is heading.

Don't want to be overly negative and hope that when we have Wes back, the usual balance will be restored; but the underperformance has just started to move from an aberration to a streak.

Poll: Who will return first?

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:51 - Nov 8 with 2514 viewsPrideOfTheEast

There are so many different types of games at this level and it must be hard for the players to adapt almost constantly, including in-game. That is a big strength of ours to be fair and most of the second half yesterday was us with the ball but lacking a broadhead type to pull a goal out of nothing.

Our immediate run of fixtures now is pretty much all against teams that want to play so will be interesting to see how we do. Will be loads of goals that’s for sure.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:53 - Nov 8 with 2492 viewspointofblue

I think yesterday was an uptick on the last three in terms of control of possession and getting the ball into the final third. The final product let us down. In other games it’s been the other way round - we’ve been pretty clinical with the chances created.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:54 - Nov 8 with 2482 viewsBlueBoots

It's a streak where we've won 7 and drawn 3 of our last 10 league games; I'll be happy with that for the next 10 games too.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:58 - Nov 8 with 2448 viewsSwansea_Blue

One game at a time for me. It was never going to be easy in this division and we’ve far exceeded any reasonable expectations so far. And we’re still in a cracking position.

I think people will be surprised by the change to Swansea. Duff has done a real hatchet job on them. They don’t look to play this season. It’s not clear what they are trying to do; they’re a real mixed bag with no clear playing style. Sometimes a bit of football breaks out, but there’s a lot of long balls and fighting for scraps now. They are quite resilient though, so it won’t be easy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:59 - Nov 8 with 2423 viewsRyorry

We were missing Broady as well as Wes, and there was illness in the camp which may have meant some players on the pitch when they were physically below par.

I really think many posters aren’t taking enough account of that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:04 - Nov 8 with 2377 viewsSwansea_Blue

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:51 - Nov 8 by PrideOfTheEast

There are so many different types of games at this level and it must be hard for the players to adapt almost constantly, including in-game. That is a big strength of ours to be fair and most of the second half yesterday was us with the ball but lacking a broadhead type to pull a goal out of nothing.

Our immediate run of fixtures now is pretty much all against teams that want to play so will be interesting to see how we do. Will be loads of goals that’s for sure.

Very varied games aren’t they. Last night was a hark back to League 1 park the bus and attritional football. I don’t think we’ll quite get that in the upcoming run, but I saw Swansea set up that way against Leicester (still lost) so who knows. Coventry aren’t too expansive either this season, so it’ll be interesting to see how these team tackle us at home.

You’d think we’ve a good chance to pick up a chunk of points, but we’ll have to be bang on it to do so.

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:12 - Nov 8 with 2342 viewsvilanovablue

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:59 - Nov 8 by Ryorry

We were missing Broady as well as Wes, and there was illness in the camp which may have meant some players on the pitch when they were physically below par.

Wholeheartedly agree with this, I've been saying for 3 weeks that we are clearly missing Burns. Broadhead out yesterday was another big miss. If any other team in this division was missing players of that calibre they'd be affected.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:18 - Nov 8 with 2276 viewsSwansea_Blue

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:59 - Nov 8 by Ryorry

And Brandon and blooding Tuanzebe. Yep, we’ve no idea of the impact of illness. Broady travelled up with the group, so who knows if that means he’ll have spread it to others.

There’s a lot of reasons to explain why we weren’t at our best yesterday. All reasonable ones, which is why I’m not worried about it. It’s obviously been a tricky little spell. I’m getting a tiny bit nervous about possible tournament call ups now. We don’t have that much depth, so it’ll be interesting to see if we address that in the January window. It’d be a shame to lose momentum due to foreseeable absences.

Login to get fewer ads

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:22 - Nov 8 with 2194 viewsMookamoo

What we're doing is finding our level, which is a good, hard working Championship team that plays good football and can beat anyone or grind out a result.

We can't expect them to keep up the early season performances all year, plus we had a fair chunk of luck which will even itself out over the course of a season
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:26 - Nov 8 with 2175 viewsiamipswich

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 08:54 - Nov 8 by BlueBoots

It's a streak where we've won 7 and drawn 3 of our last 10 league games; I'll be happy with that for the next 10 games too.

This would be valid if I my post was about results not performances. The results are still undeniably good.

Poll: Who will return first?

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:27 - Nov 8 with 2171 viewsNutkins_Return

1. Our start of season form is exceptional and outstanding. It's not maintainable realistically so please don't set that as our 'par'. We're not going to get 120+ points on that trend.
2. We will have a period where results go against us and performances dip (with injuries, different types of opponents and challenges).
3. We are on 36 points through 15 games. Incredible. Away draws and home wins is a recipe for promotion.
4. It's not going to be failure to finish top 6 still. All we can do is support the team and give as much positive energy even during dips to keep getting results. If we get too 2 in will be insane.

We're doing great. Keep the belief ;)
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:30 - Nov 8 with 2138 viewsHerbivore

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:22 - Nov 8 by Mookamoo

What we're doing is finding our level, which is a good, hard working Championship team that plays good football and can beat anyone or grind out a result.

We can't expect them to keep up the early season performances all year, plus we had a fair chunk of luck which will even itself out over the course of a season

What luck did we have?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:36 - Nov 8 with 2107 viewsBlueOura

Really, dont worry about it. We have a great football team, a great Manager and a fantastic positive vibe around the whole club, there really is nothing to be 'concerned' about, just enjoy the ride and go with the flow.

We are going to have bumps in the road, a slight downturn in form was inevitable, no team can maintain the form we were on forever, especially a newly promated one.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 9:40]
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:39 - Nov 8 with 2084 viewsSwansea_Blue

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:36 - Nov 8 by BlueOura

Really, dont worry about it. We have a great football team, a great Manager and a fantastic positive vibe around the whole club, there really is nothing to be 'concerned' about, just enjoy the ride and go with the flow.

We are going to have bumps in the road, a slight downturn in form was inevitable, no team can maintain the form we were on forever, especially a newly promated one.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 9:40]

Absolutely.

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:46 - Nov 8 with 2044 viewsBlueOura

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:39 - Nov 8 by Swansea_Blue

Absolutely.

I think it is quite likely we will drop out of the top 2 at some point and I am absolutely at ease with that, if we finish in the top 6 this season i will be over the moon. Top 2 would be an incredible acheivement but still unlikely in my view, despite the current gap.

People need to remember where we have come from in such a short space of time, if you align your expectations accordingly then there really is nothing to stress or worry about.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:46 - Nov 8 with 2042 viewsMookamoo

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:30 - Nov 8 by Herbivore

What luck did we have?

Mumba's ridiculous own goal

Bristol City keeper letting one go right through his body and that ball that rolled right across the goal line and stayed out.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:50 - Nov 8 with 2025 viewsHerbivore

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:46 - Nov 8 by Mookamoo

Bristol City keeper letting one go right through his body and that ball that rolled right across the goal line and stayed out.

Your post implied you were talking about earlier in the season. You could equally argue that we would have been unlucky if that had gone in against Brizzle, it hit the post and then hit Hladky on the back so would have been an unfortunate own goal. Burgess scored an unfortunate own goal himself at the weekend. We've been denied a number of stonewall pens and poor old Chappers has been denied goals of the season twice by the wood work. I don't think we've been especially lucky, some things have gone our way but just as much (if not more) hasn't gone our way. We are more or less where we deserve to be right now.

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:55 - Nov 8 with 1999 viewsNutkins_Return

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:46 - Nov 8 by Mookamoo

Brum miss hitting a hot which fell to their man...Burgess own goal not a million miles from Mumba in luck stakes, numerous pens not given, Sunderland not getting another red...you get the point. This is just football as it's ever been.

I really don't think we've been overly lucky at all. We've been fantastic.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:00 - Nov 8 with 1972 viewsHerbivore

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:55 - Nov 8 by Nutkins_Return

Brum miss hitting a hot which fell to their man...Burgess own goal not a million miles from Mumba in luck stakes, numerous pens not given, Sunderland not getting another red...you get the point. This is just football as it's ever been.

I really don't think we've been overly lucky at all. We've been fantastic.

Indeed. This "lucky" narrative a few are trying to spin is bizarre. We've had plenty go against us this season as well as some moments of good fortune, on the whole I'd say we're probably in deficit given how many non-decisions we've had on clear pens. The underlying stats have us as one of the very best in the division, we've slipped ever so slightly on the xG table over the past couple of games but we are second on xG and top 6 on xGA with our xG difference being better than Leicester's. The xG table shows Saints and Leeds are genuine contenders too: https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:13 - Nov 8 with 1928 viewsMookamoo

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 09:50 - Nov 8 by Herbivore

Your post implied you were talking about earlier in the season. You could equally argue that we would have been unlucky if that had gone in against Brizzle, it hit the post and then hit Hladky on the back so would have been an unfortunate own goal. Burgess scored an unfortunate own goal himself at the weekend. We've been denied a number of stonewall pens and poor old Chappers has been denied goals of the season twice by the wood work. I don't think we've been especially lucky, some things have gone our way but just as much (if not more) hasn't gone our way. We are more or less where we deserve to be right now.

We've pretty much got what we deserve out of most games, but I think we've had the rub of the green at a few crucial points so far. Burgess' own goal is just an example of how the cosmos balances out. We finish so strongly I would have fancied us to get 3 points, but from 2-0 down it becomes a little too much - I don't think it is a drop in performance which is what the thread is about.

What we haven't been is too unlucky, yet. There will be games we don't get what we deserve.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:16 - Nov 8 with 1909 viewsHerbivore

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:13 - Nov 8 by Mookamoo

We've pretty much got what we deserve out of most games, but I think we've had the rub of the green at a few crucial points so far. Burgess' own goal is just an example of how the cosmos balances out. We finish so strongly I would have fancied us to get 3 points, but from 2-0 down it becomes a little too much - I don't think it is a drop in performance which is what the thread is about.

What we haven't been is too unlucky, yet. There will be games we don't get what we deserve.

We've also not had the rub of the green at a few crucial points though, it's just we've generally picked up points regardless of that.

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:33 - Nov 8 with 1859 viewsMookamoo

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:16 - Nov 8 by Herbivore

We've also not had the rub of the green at a few crucial points though, it's just we've generally picked up points regardless of that.

I take your point, but we've not had anything like that Plymouth own goal go against us yet. Yes, Burgess spooned one into his net, but that was clumsy attempt at a clearance in horrible conditions - those things happen. That Mumba goal and that ball not crossing the line vs Bristol don't happen often.

Yes Hurst should have had a penalty last night, but Taylor's goal just bounced off his leg and went in.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:44 - Nov 8 with 1819 viewsbraveblue

If we underperform and don’t lose it can’t be a bad thing. We were superb against Bristol City and it could have been 4 by half time. Not much wrong I think.
My concern is the downward trend of performances on 11:04 - Nov 8 with 1771 viewsSomethingBlue

Joe has said it best above but I really wouldn't take things too far. We were really good against Bristol City for two thirds of that game, it was total control. Since then it's been three ding-dongs in which we haven't lost and nobody has outplayed us. Pretty standard for this division and what most teams experience every week. We won't have a night like the Hull one, for example, very often – this is a grind and we're doing it superbly.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 11:21 - Nov 8 with 1722 viewsHerbivore

My concern is the downward trend of performances on 10:33 - Nov 8 by Mookamoo

I take your point, but we've not had anything like that Plymouth own goal go against us yet. Yes, Burgess spooned one into his net, but that was clumsy attempt at a clearance in horrible conditions - those things happen. That Mumba goal and that ball not crossing the line vs Bristol don't happen often.

Yes Hurst should have had a penalty last night, but Taylor's goal just bounced off his leg and went in.

Why is one player sticking out a leg to try and deflect the ball away from goal and scoring an own goal considered very lucky but another player sticking out a leg to try and deflect the ball away from goal and scoring an own goal not considered unlucky? Strikes me as double standards. For every instance of "luck" in our favour that you can identify it's possible to identity counter examples where we've been unlucky. We've hit the woodwork ourselves a number of times and the only reason the Brizzle one nearly crept in was because it came back off the woodwork and hit Hladky on the back. That would have been unlucky had it gone in. Just feels that dorm are desperate to paint our good start as being the result of good fortune and I don't see that being the case. The fact we've yet to have a penalty when we've had several nailed on shouts and spend a lot of time in the opposition box suggests we aren't getting the rub of the green with game changing refereeing decisions.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024