Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak 09:37 - Oct 19 with 3831 viewsStokieBlue

So in Sunak's press conference this morning after he landed in Israel he said:

"In an early statement, he said the Gaza hospital blast on Tuesday that caused mass Palestinian casualties should be “a watershed moment for leaders in the region and across the world to come together to avoid further dangerous escalation of conflict”, adding that Britain would be at “the forefront of this effort”.

Sunak will also urge the opening up of a route to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza from Egypt as soon as possible, and to enable British nationals trapped in Gaza to leave."
[1]

Yet yesterday he directed our representatives at the UN to abstain on a resolution which called for humanitarian corridors and a ceasefire.[2]

SB

[1]. https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/oct/19/israel-hamas-war-live-news-to

[2]. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/18/us-vetoes-un-call-for-humanitarian

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 13:55 - Oct 19 with 1241 viewslowhouseblue

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 13:46 - Oct 19 by WeWereZombies

I presume you are referring to Humza Yousaf. I certainly think he could be put in a difficult position if he had to take a lead on protecting British Jews, whether he would be up to the job remains to be seen as he isn't in the most likely róle to be given the responsibility in our four nations There are indications that he has the gravitas to rise to it though.

But if a British politician had extensive family connections to Putin or within the ruling regime of Iran or the Taliban I would be completely suspicious of them.

trouble is that if you believe that politicians with extended family abroad are likely to have 'divided loyalties' that's going to be disproportionately politicians who are of a recent immigrant background. sunak being an example.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:08 - Oct 19 with 1183 viewsWeWereZombies

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 13:55 - Oct 19 by lowhouseblue

trouble is that if you believe that politicians with extended family abroad are likely to have 'divided loyalties' that's going to be disproportionately politicians who are of a recent immigrant background. sunak being an example.

The divided loyalty I specified was his wife, in my view man and wife have s special bond. You would not expect them to testify against each other in court for example. You then went on to test my point with another one about extended family, which I believe I answered in a fair and balanced manner. You have now elided the first point with the second and brought up Sunak's immigrant background up despite my not having mentioned it (I would be more concerned that he may have considered at least a couple of states for citizenship and plumped for the United Kingdom on economic grounds but no politician would ever admit to that.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:14 - Oct 19 with 1176 viewslowhouseblue

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:08 - Oct 19 by WeWereZombies

The divided loyalty I specified was his wife, in my view man and wife have s special bond. You would not expect them to testify against each other in court for example. You then went on to test my point with another one about extended family, which I believe I answered in a fair and balanced manner. You have now elided the first point with the second and brought up Sunak's immigrant background up despite my not having mentioned it (I would be more concerned that he may have considered at least a couple of states for citizenship and plumped for the United Kingdom on economic grounds but no politician would ever admit to that.)

i've been polite. but i am pretty uncomfortable with the uk's first non-white prime minister being accused of divided loyalties. his immigrant background is not unrelated to him having a wife who is an indian citizen.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:17 - Oct 19 with 1150 viewsWeWereZombies

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 09:57 - Oct 19 by WeWereZombies

Maybe we should be sending Mo Salah in place of Sunak:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67149156

'Salah, 31, said humanitarian aid to Gaza must be allowed "immediately".

"There has been too much violence, heartbreak and brutality," he said...All lives are sacred and must be protected. The massacres need to stop. Families are being torn apart.

"I am calling on the world leaders to come together to prevent further slaughter of innocent souls.

"Humanity must prevail.'

And as an aside to what looks like it might be developing into yet another nasty spat I just want to bump this post to highlight, perhaps, the only sensible voice I have heard from the World of football in the last two weeks.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:45 - Oct 19 with 1096 viewsWeWereZombies

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:14 - Oct 19 by lowhouseblue

i've been polite. but i am pretty uncomfortable with the uk's first non-white prime minister being accused of divided loyalties. his immigrant background is not unrelated to him having a wife who is an indian citizen.

So, having taken five minutes out (because I don't think you have noticeably been that polite) let me come back to this and ask you to read my posts soberly.

You may feel uncomfortable with the United Kingdom's first non-white Prime Minister being accused of divided loyalties but I am not doing that. I am saying that it is inevitable that a citizen of one state married to the citizen of another state will have divided loyalties should those states pull in different directions on issues. Whether that Prime Minister is a recent immigrant is irrelevant, he or she could have a family tree going back to William The Conqueror but if they married someone who was a dedicated agent of North Korea I would be worried.

Obviously I am less worried than that about Akshata Murthy but the status of Sikhs, Muslims and Christians in india is threatened by the more radical elements in the BJP (because of a couple of personal encounters I have a bit of a soft spot for Sikhs) and, especially in light of Justin Trudeau's recent attempt to moderate Modi, I worry that the United Kingdom may blindside these unpleasant trends when carrying out diplomatic missions.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:12 - Oct 19 with 1050 viewsHerbivore

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 14:14 - Oct 19 by lowhouseblue

I think he probably does have divided loyalties, between his own self-interest and the interests of the country he purports to govern. That's nothing to do with his wife or family background though, the same is true of all recent Tory PMs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:17 - Oct 19 with 1031 viewsBlueschev

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:12 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

I think he probably does have divided loyalties, between his own self-interest and the interests of the country he purports to govern. That's nothing to do with his wife or family background though, the same is true of all recent Tory PMs.

I think you'll find it's divided as follows in order of priority: Self - Donors - Party - Country.
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:26 - Oct 19 with 1002 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 13:38 - Oct 19 by lowhouseblue

so these divided loyalties, what about politicians who have extended family abroad rather than foreign spouces? also potentially unpatriotic?

I didn’t read it that way, but would question the patriotism of anyone in a party that took donations from people close to the Kremlin. Appreciate that probably wasn’t him personally, but the whole thing stank and has been quietly brushed under the carpet by those at the helm.
Login to get fewer ads

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:26 - Oct 19 with 1001 viewsGlasgowBlue

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:12 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

I have Zombies on ignore, due to his recent erratic posting and defence of XYZ’s disgusting post that saw him banned. But from what I can tell from Lowhouse’s replies, his posts have been the sort of thing you would expect from the likes of Farage.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:32 - Oct 19 with 988 viewsHerbivore

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:17 - Oct 19 by Blueschev

I think you'll find it's divided as follows in order of priority: Self - Donors - Party - Country.

That hierarchy looks about right.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:33 - Oct 19 with 980 viewsWeWereZombies

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:17 - Oct 19 by Blueschev

Steady on now.

But that did make me laugh.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:35 - Oct 19 with 982 viewsHerbivore

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:26 - Oct 19 by GlasgowBlue

I have Zombies on ignore, due to his recent erratic posting and defence of XYZ’s disgusting post that saw him banned. But from what I can tell from Lowhouse’s replies, his posts have been the sort of thing you would expect from the likes of Farage.

I don't think the characterisation is entirely fair but I can see how it's potentially somewhat dodgy ground. There was a general consensus of a conflict of interest when it turned out his wife had non-dom status whilst he was chancellor and I'm not sure there's a reasonable case to be made that the consensus then was based on racism.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:37 - Oct 19 with 979 viewspositivity

you might have to add a "people-who-have-incriminating-information-on-you" category to some usa politicians...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:44 - Oct 19 with 966 viewsWeWereZombies

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:35 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

I don't think the characterisation is entirely fair but I can see how it's potentially somewhat dodgy ground. There was a general consensus of a conflict of interest when it turned out his wife had non-dom status whilst he was chancellor and I'm not sure there's a reasonable case to be made that the consensus then was based on racism.

I would like to make it clear that my wife, who is actually my ex.wife, does not, to my knowledge, have non-dom status...and that I have never been Chancellor...of anything. Although I was appointed a Scrutineer a few years back.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:51 - Oct 19 with 963 viewsBlueschev

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:26 - Oct 19 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I didn’t read it that way, but would question the patriotism of anyone in a party that took donations from people close to the Kremlin. Appreciate that probably wasn’t him personally, but the whole thing stank and has been quietly brushed under the carpet by those at the helm.

The Tory media played on public ignorance and portrayed Corbyn as Putin's man.

Russia = Commie = Corbyn + Slightly Leniny hat = Corbyn Loves Putin. That was enough to distract people from the numerous connections between dodgy Russian money and the governing party.
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 17:14 - Oct 19 with 935 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:51 - Oct 19 by Blueschev

The Tory media played on public ignorance and portrayed Corbyn as Putin's man.

Russia = Commie = Corbyn + Slightly Leniny hat = Corbyn Loves Putin. That was enough to distract people from the numerous connections between dodgy Russian money and the governing party.

I mean his half-witted response to Salisbury didn’t help. It’s not hard for the press to assassinate someone when they are always holding a gun to their own head.
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 17:22 - Oct 19 with 921 viewsBlueschev

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 17:14 - Oct 19 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I mean his half-witted response to Salisbury didn’t help. It’s not hard for the press to assassinate someone when they are always holding a gun to their own head.

Oh there are many ways in which he didn't help himself, but the way that even the very Tories swimming in Russian money made Corbyn out to be a Russian stooge was quite staggering. But much like every other lie Johnson et al told up until around early 2021, the public largely lapped it up.

As for Corbyn's response to Salisbury, is he not now being pelted for not responding to the Ahli Arab Hospital bombing in the same manner?
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 18:11 - Oct 19 with 875 viewsDarth_Koont

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 17:22 - Oct 19 by Blueschev

Oh there are many ways in which he didn't help himself, but the way that even the very Tories swimming in Russian money made Corbyn out to be a Russian stooge was quite staggering. But much like every other lie Johnson et al told up until around early 2021, the public largely lapped it up.

As for Corbyn's response to Salisbury, is he not now being pelted for not responding to the Ahli Arab Hospital bombing in the same manner?

You’re way off message.

You must be a wrong ‘un.

Pronouns: He/Him

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 18:23 - Oct 19 with 855 viewsredrickstuhaart

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 10:28 - Oct 19 by WeWereZombies

Isn't Sunak a US citizen, or am I getting him mixed up with Boris Johnson ?

Sorry, an underhand comment but Sunak's international connections (and that includes Modi) do give me the impression that he isn't quite the voice for the United KIngdom that some think he is.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/09/rishi-sunak-to-meet-india-pm-na

'The prime minister was not due to discuss Ukraine, however, as leaders struggled to agree a position on Russia’s invasion. The official G20 leaders’ declaration said countries had “different views and assessments” on the war.

India continues to import oil and weapons from Russia, something Sunak refused to criticise in advance of the talks.'

All these things are connected. We support of Israel whilst turning a blind eye to the behaviour of the Israeli state and the fundamental underlying issues which create an environment where the likes of Hammas seem a reasonable or attractive proposition to people in the area.

The inherent hypocrisy and self interest is increasingly obvious and objectionable to former close allies such as South Africa, India etc, and the developing world such as Brazil. Which opens the door for Putin's "alternative world order, stop being bullied by the West" rhetoric.
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 18:24 - Oct 19 with 851 viewsWeWereZombies

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 16:35 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

By the way, I do realise you are referencing Sunak but thought I could add some much needed amusement to matters by reading it in the way that it replied to another post. Now I have gone back and read the post you replied to a bit more carefully I think there is an error in that post.

I was suggesting that XYZ was not 'trolling' but making a valid point (not one I can say I liked but it did have some traction in the light of the way debate is conducted and often stifled on this forum.) I know that no one else saw it that way and perhaps other things had gone on over the weekend when I was away that I had not read but, all the same, I was the one told to 'feck right off' Rude.

What I suspect few saw was that much later that day, when only a few of us with disrupted sleep patterns were posting, XYZ made a post personally attacking another poster which I down voted. XYZ challenged me on that and I replied that I thought it was ad hominem, in part ill informed and for the rest irrelevant. No idea what happened after that because sleep thankfully overtook me. On Tuesday morning XYZ's posts and my reply (that no doubt said too much about XYZ's accusation) were gone and so was the 'but Corbyn' thread... and so was XYZ. I suspect it was that late night post that was finally too much for Phil.

I never like to see posters banned, I didn't even want people like Belstead and Taximan gone, the only poster I ever put on ignore was Blue_Oyster (for a defamatory post about the United Kingdom's wartime women fighters) so any poster who gets banned is a winnable opportunity lost for me (we'll get Ulla supporting yet, so we will) but some people do make it difficult to freely exchange views.

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 18:29 - Oct 19 with 844 viewseireblue

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 10:28 - Oct 19 by WeWereZombies

Isn't Sunak a US citizen, or am I getting him mixed up with Boris Johnson ?

Sorry, an underhand comment but Sunak's international connections (and that includes Modi) do give me the impression that he isn't quite the voice for the United KIngdom that some think he is.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/09/rishi-sunak-to-meet-india-pm-na

'The prime minister was not due to discuss Ukraine, however, as leaders struggled to agree a position on Russia’s invasion. The official G20 leaders’ declaration said countries had “different views and assessments” on the war.

India continues to import oil and weapons from Russia, something Sunak refused to criticise in advance of the talks.'

Isn’t the U.K. trying to do a trade deal with India?

U.K. PM compromising on stuff to get a trade deal done seems normal.
Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 19:04 - Oct 19 with 800 viewspositivity

Seems to be some rather mixed messaging from Sunak on 17:22 - Oct 19 by Blueschev

i'd say it was pretty similar.

makes knee-jerk/ill informed statement
doesn't retract it even when the evidence piles up against it

it's the boris johnson never explain/never apologise power move. they're more similar than they'd like to admit, only difference is that boris had more of the press behind him...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024