Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Acts of Kindness. 12:09 - Oct 10 with 1245 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Currently in Athens. A pregnant Greek lady obviously down on her luck has been invited by an American couple to join them for lunch at the table next to us.
Not enough nice stories shared nowadays but thought I’d share as it’s kind of restored my faith in human nature somewhat.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Acts of Kindness. on 12:12 - Oct 10 with 1221 views_clive_baker_

Good on them. Say what you like about American people but they don't half get an unfair rep at times. Like anywhere with a population of 300m you're going to get some nutters, but from my experience I've met some lovely yanks over the years.
Acts of Kindness. on 12:39 - Oct 10 with 1103 viewsZx1988

Acts of Kindness. on 12:12 - Oct 10 by _clive_baker_

Good on them. Say what you like about American people but they don't half get an unfair rep at times. Like anywhere with a population of 300m you're going to get some nutters, but from my experience I've met some lovely yanks over the years.

Agreed.

I think a lot of one's perception can be coloured by the environments in which we encounter people.

I dare say someone whose experiences of British tourists consisted solely of experiences in places such as Benidorm/Magaluf would have a wholly different impression to someone who had met Brits abroad in far more cosmopolitan locations.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Acts of Kindness. on 12:52 - Oct 10 with 1067 views_clive_baker_

Acts of Kindness. on 12:39 - Oct 10 by Zx1988

Agreed.

I think a lot of one's perception can be coloured by the environments in which we encounter people.

I dare say someone whose experiences of British tourists consisted solely of experiences in places such as Benidorm/Magaluf would have a wholly different impression to someone who had met Brits abroad in far more cosmopolitan locations.

I expect that's quite true. We're very exposed to American people through the media. When it comes to political figures and celebrity it's always the negative side that sells, and we see many more images of racist coppers and Donald Trump than we do the ordinary folk.

I lived over there for a bit, once you see the real people you realise there's a lot of good people with a strong sense of community and care for others. Probably much like here really, if your only exposure to Brits is the football hooligans, Nigel Farage's and Prince Andrew's you're probably never really going to get sight of the real folk who make up the 70m people living here.
Acts of Kindness. on 13:01 - Oct 10 with 1019 viewsIllinoisblue

Acts of Kindness. on 12:52 - Oct 10 by _clive_baker_

I expect that's quite true. We're very exposed to American people through the media. When it comes to political figures and celebrity it's always the negative side that sells, and we see many more images of racist coppers and Donald Trump than we do the ordinary folk.

I lived over there for a bit, once you see the real people you realise there's a lot of good people with a strong sense of community and care for others. Probably much like here really, if your only exposure to Brits is the football hooligans, Nigel Farage's and Prince Andrew's you're probably never really going to get sight of the real folk who make up the 70m people living here.

This is an obvious point but the thing about America that continues to fascinate me is the vastness of the country and how different states and regions are. The laid back South is different to the more pragmatic Midwest is different to the ‘coastal elites’ on either side etc etc. There’s just too much going on to think of a typical American. Countries within a country.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Acts of Kindness. on 13:17 - Oct 10 with 950 views_clive_baker_

Acts of Kindness. on 13:01 - Oct 10 by Illinoisblue

This is an obvious point but the thing about America that continues to fascinate me is the vastness of the country and how different states and regions are. The laid back South is different to the more pragmatic Midwest is different to the ‘coastal elites’ on either side etc etc. There’s just too much going on to think of a typical American. Countries within a country.

100%. A fairer comparison would be US vs. Europe. Similar in size, and as you say very different from state to state (or country to country in Europe's case).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024