Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. 07:11 - Sep 28 with 5452 viewsMattinLondon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66942985
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:12 - Sep 28 with 1666 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:04 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

I struggle to take a nationalist seriously on such matters. Before Darth barks, yeah I know: 'civic nationalism' and all that.

I missed Labour's reaction to the Braverman - they must have said something?

You struggle with a lot. No offence taken.

Pronouns: He/Him

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:21 - Sep 28 with 1619 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The privately educated are vastly over represented in politics, including those that rally against them but quietly send their kids there. Hardly a surprise that there’s little appetite to enact any detrimental policies.
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:21 - Sep 28 with 1617 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:12 - Sep 28 by Darth_Koont

You struggle with a lot. No offence taken.

Yes indeed - the world is a very strange an complicated place.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:26 - Sep 28 with 1604 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:21 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Yes indeed - the world is a very strange an complicated place.

Indeed!

And must be an impenetrable mystery if you rarely know what you're talking about. Better to make up a world that fits to your own thoughts, prejudices and self-interest.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:26 - Sep 28 with 1600 viewsBasuco

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 08:34 - Sep 28 by DJR

I imagine this will have no impact on public schools proper (eg. Ipswich School) because of the wealth of those who send their children to such schools.

It is the less prestigious private schools that I assume will be more affected because my understanding is that the parents tend to be less affluent. Indeed, speaking recently to someone who works as a bursar at such a school, I understand the cost of living crisis is having an adverse effect on some of the parents' ability to pay.

Although I believe it no longer exists, Everton House School in Humber Doucy Lane springs to mind as an example of such a school.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 8:37]

There are two levels of private schools, the top ones, Culford and King School Ely are two that spring to mind in our area, with big reputations and fees to match, but I think that there are quite a few "lesser" private schools, with parents or grand parents who are prepared to push themselves financially to get the best possible education for their children. My guess is that there are a much greater number of parents who choose to pay for education like this but struggle to find the fees, than many would think.
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:34 - Sep 28 with 1572 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:26 - Sep 28 by Darth_Koont

Indeed!

And must be an impenetrable mystery if you rarely know what you're talking about. Better to make up a world that fits to your own thoughts, prejudices and self-interest.

That makes you a lot easier to understand fella - thanks for the insight.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:37 - Sep 28 with 1557 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:34 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

That makes you a lot easier to understand fella - thanks for the insight.

QED

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:40 - Sep 28 with 1532 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:37 - Sep 28 by Darth_Koont

QED

Yes indeed.

Thanks. its been fun.

Login to get fewer ads

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:41 - Sep 28 with 1533 viewsleitrimblue

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:04 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

I struggle to take a nationalist seriously on such matters. Before Darth barks, yeah I know: 'civic nationalism' and all that.

I missed Labour's reaction to the Braverman - they must have said something?

Hi there Mr Stow. Was just wondering what makes him a nationalist that you can't take seriously? Is it that you see everyone who wants independence for Scotland a nationalist or is it something specifically that this bloke as said an done?
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:54 - Sep 28 with 1506 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:41 - Sep 28 by leitrimblue

Hi there Mr Stow. Was just wondering what makes him a nationalist that you can't take seriously? Is it that you see everyone who wants independence for Scotland a nationalist or is it something specifically that this bloke as said an done?

Hi Leitrim, I guess my problem is with the SNP blaming all ills on 'Westminster' - it 'others', just like the Tories other immigrants and foreigners.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:57 - Sep 28 with 1488 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:54 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Hi Leitrim, I guess my problem is with the SNP blaming all ills on 'Westminster' - it 'others', just like the Tories other immigrants and foreigners.

Jesus wept.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:09 - Sep 28 with 1442 viewsleitrimblue

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:54 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Did you listen to the video? What aspects of it do you disagree with?
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:29 - Sep 28 with 1406 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:09 - Sep 28 by leitrimblue

Did you listen to the video? What aspects of it do you disagree with?

No I didn't listen to it I'm afraid. Like I said above, I don't really want to hear such stuff (trusting DJR's intro) coming from people who use the same othering tactics as the Tories. From your upvote above, I take it you disagree, but how come?

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:54 - Sep 28 with 1358 viewsHerbivore

Yes, it's not like a lot of power and decision making is concentrated in Westminster or anything.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 12:08 - Sep 28 with 1348 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:29 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

No I didn't listen to it I'm afraid. Like I said above, I don't really want to hear such stuff (trusting DJR's intro) coming from people who use the same othering tactics as the Tories. From your upvote above, I take it you disagree, but how come?

This whataboutery is too delusional and self-serving even for a Telegraph or Mail editorial.

You could probably pitch it to GB News though.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 13:58 - Sep 28 with 1252 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:54 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

Yes, it's not like a lot of power and decision making is concentrated in Westminster or anything.

Some power is held at Westminster, yeah obviously, but devolution has left the Scottish Parliament with plenty of its own power too - enough to raise income taxes for example, but as far I'm aware, the SNP have only dared bump it a little.

Blaming 'Westminster' is code designed to speak to their target audience, just like 'uncontrolled immigration' does the same job for Tories. It passes the buck for their own failings onto an external bogeyman for everyone to hate - this is what nationalists do everywhere.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:02 - Sep 28 with 1243 viewsHerbivore

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 13:58 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Some power is held at Westminster, yeah obviously, but devolution has left the Scottish Parliament with plenty of its own power too - enough to raise income taxes for example, but as far I'm aware, the SNP have only dared bump it a little.

Blaming 'Westminster' is code designed to speak to their target audience, just like 'uncontrolled immigration' does the same job for Tories. It passes the buck for their own failings onto an external bogeyman for everyone to hate - this is what nationalists do everywhere.

I kind of admire the brass neck it takes to double down on such obvious false equivalence, but to be frank this is a load of old boll0cks.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:08 - Sep 28 with 1232 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 10:09 - Sep 28 by Darth_Koont

Tell us again why voting in more self-interested right-wingers is going to change the underlying issues facing the UK.

Re: a genuine Opposition getting elected, there's always an uphill battle against the right-leaning establishment (the one in the Labour party most of all). It doesn't mean we should hide behind party politics and the democratic deficit of the FPTP system when talking about the right policies for the UK and its people. Or doesn't that actually matter?

It's this constant brainless sliding right that's apparently in the name of the voters that's making the UK a worse place to live and grow up in. Yet as Corbyn showed when he moved the party back to an actual centre-left position there were millions of voters attracted back to the party after it had been shedding votes ever since 1997.

Pragmatically, offering those kinds of policies to bring us more in line with our neighbours needs to be part of the political debate. When they aren't, there's nothing at all to our politics except some shadowy notion of market-based growth as the panacea for everything socio-economic and ignorant populism.

‘Right wingers’ - complete nonsense

2nd paragraph - yes it matters, but so does, you know, actually getting elected and being able to do things in practice. Otherwise you’re just smugly typing words on a messageboard about how wonderful you are and everyone else is wrong

Sliding right - we’ve slid right as we have had a succession of Conservative governments, no slide bigger than the one we’ve seen since they were able to decisively win the last election. Labour winning the next election would be a move to the left, a repeat of the last election would see us slide ever further right

Millions attracted back - not sure you’ve noticed but in this social media age our electoral system has become even more of a two party system than it was before. In that context gaining voters is inevitable but useless when the other party gains significantly more. Corbyn’s Labour lost 2 elections, the second catastrophically

Pragmatically… - pragmatically, we need an opposition that is able to appeal to voters and actually win an election, otherwise everything is just empty grandstanding

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:09 - Sep 28 with 1230 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:02 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

I kind of admire the brass neck it takes to double down on such obvious false equivalence, but to be frank this is a load of old boll0cks.

Thanks Herbie, but I notice that all I'm getting back on this whole page is ridicule - no actual counter argument.

I'm sure someone will answer with more of the same, but thats fine - fill your boots - time for work.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:12 - Sep 28 with 1220 viewsHankScorpio

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 13:58 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

I expect nothing from you, except to die and be a very cheap funeral.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:15 - Sep 28 with 1206 viewsgiant_stow

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:12 - Sep 28 by HankScorpio

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:32 - Sep 28 with 1169 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:08 - Sep 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Right wingers’ - complete nonsense

2nd paragraph - yes it matters, but so does, you know, actually getting elected and being able to do things in practice. Otherwise you’re just smugly typing words on a messageboard about how wonderful you are and everyone else is wrong

Sliding right - we’ve slid right as we have had a succession of Conservative governments, no slide bigger than the one we’ve seen since they were able to decisively win the last election. Labour winning the next election would be a move to the left, a repeat of the last election would see us slide ever further right

Millions attracted back - not sure you’ve noticed but in this social media age our electoral system has become even more of a two party system than it was before. In that context gaining voters is inevitable but useless when the other party gains significantly more. Corbyn’s Labour lost 2 elections, the second catastrophically

Pragmatically… - pragmatically, we need an opposition that is able to appeal to voters and actually win an election, otherwise everything is just empty grandstanding

You clearly need to pay a lot more attention.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:38 - Sep 28 with 1144 viewsHerbivore

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:09 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Thanks Herbie, but I notice that all I'm getting back on this whole page is ridicule - no actual counter argument.

I'm sure someone will answer with more of the same, but thats fine - fill your boots - time for work.

There's nothing to counter. You're comparing the Tories blaming immigrants - who are literally powerless - for the country's problems with the SNP blaming the actual UK government, whose responsibility it is to run the country. It's such laughable false equivalence that ridicule is the most apt response.

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:41 - Sep 28 with 1129 viewsleitrimblue

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 11:29 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Sorry, was busy there for a while. I watched the video and agree with much of what is said. I would suggest watching the video first and then commenting on what is said.
Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:44 - Sep 28 with 1121 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess it was only a matter of time Labour backtracked on private schools. on 14:09 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

You’re describing the SNP’s long-standing opposition to the systemic and structural imbalances that are part and parcel of the UK being the most centralised country in the OECD. Which negatively affects all regions, not just Scotland. Not to mention opposition to a UK “representative” chamber and resulting governments based on our outdated FPTP system that actually limit representation.

And you’re calling it “othering like the Tories do to immigrants” ... just gob-smackingly stupid stuff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024