Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium Catering 15:06 - Aug 29 with 4723 viewspops

Kiosk under the Magnus Stand near entrance to blocks H,G etc had no prices shown. I think I know why as the cost of refreshments have been raised to shameful levels and would put you off. Until something changes will bring my own food.
Stadium Catering on 07:54 - Aug 30 with 1027 viewshawess

I was reflecting today with my son that in thirty years of watching football I think the only beverage or food I have bought at a football ground is a bovril at Oakwell and a burger at Bury Town (Suffolk). Same with cinema. Take my own stuff.
Stadium Catering on 08:13 - Aug 30 with 1001 viewsChurchman

Stadium Catering on 21:08 - Aug 29 by Radlett_blue

Hmm...depends where you live. Unless you find a Wetherspoons, beer in & around London is much more expensive. I do baulk at stadium or event prices approaching £8 for a not very good pint of lager, but almost everyone wants to fleece a captive audience. I was impressed at a Middlesex cricket match at Radlett recently when I paid only £6 for a decent pint.

This is my experience too.

Met an old chum in London near Victoria the other day in the sports bar there. £19 for three beers. The glasses weren’t full and the default on the card payment machine (no cash) was a 15% tip on top. I asked the bloke to take it off. The surly bloke’s expression was even surlier.

Events - similar experience. Prices at outlier cricket grounds reasonable including Canterbury and most recently Blackpool for the Lancashire Essex game. Oval and Lords were ‘event pricing’. Facilities at Spurs ground are great (went for the NFL game) and Wembley is pretty good, but it isn’t cheap!

For Portman Road, I have to say that catering needs to be better. The West/Pioneer facilities are cramped, don’t look too clean, expensive and to me a just a bit shabby, it’s an old stand, facilities are poor. I accept catering has to be brought in so will be more expensive. I also expect the club to profit on it, but surely it can be improved in every way?
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 9:01]
Stadium Catering on 10:21 - Aug 30 with 949 viewsFifeITFC

Stadium Catering on 21:35 - Aug 29 by TractorWood

Does one really 'need' to eat between 3-4:50pm? Every other Saturday.

Stuff is expensive these days. Don't buy it if you don't want to, doesn't seem to affect the enormous queues at ITFC.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 21:36]

Agreed. It's not "new" news that the prices inside any stadium are horrendous. Why not grab something to eat outside the ground from the burger vans or even grab a McDonalds/KFC/BK en route?

I was at Hampden Stadium recently and realise why there was a huge range of different food vans outside the ground. The food inside the stadiums were absolutely disgusting, overcooked, overpriced and inedible. The drinks were equally as bad.

Will never buy food/drink inside the stadium anymore. It's just exploitation. With a little preparation, get yourself something outside.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Stadium Catering on 10:44 - Aug 30 with 939 viewsLower_North

Stadium Catering on 20:38 - Aug 29 by stonojnr

which is a flippin cheek imo, the average price of a pint of ale is £4.30 nationwide.

it tasted like they hadnt spent much time cleaning their dispense system either given it was first game of the season, it should have been near as damn perfect, but maybe it was the lukewarm dishwasher temp glass that gave it its off flavours.

its stupid from the club though, at £4.30 Im probably thinking of maybe a couple of pints per game.

at £6.25, especially if the beer doesnt taste right, Im spending my money in pubs away from the ground instead

and GK specifically make low volume cask pins now, 36 pints to help sports clubs and venues like this sell the beer and not worry about wasting what you cant shift.

and it could be crazy, packed stadium and we end up selling less beer and food because of the prices, than when we were in L1.

£6 for a pint of Red Stripe in the Black Horse before the game.

They're all at it..
Stadium Catering on 11:43 - Aug 30 with 902 viewsFrimleyBlue

No idea how this compares

but last night
3 sausage and chips and 2 drinks
£28

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Stadium Catering on 12:01 - Aug 30 with 880 viewshoppy

Stadium Catering on 11:43 - Aug 30 by FrimleyBlue

No idea how this compares

but last night
3 sausage and chips and 2 drinks
£28

Is that 3 x sausage, 1 x chips, or 3 x sausage and 3 x chips?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Stadium Catering on 12:04 - Aug 30 with 875 viewsFrimleyBlue

Stadium Catering on 12:01 - Aug 30 by hoppy

Is that 3 x sausage, 1 x chips, or 3 x sausage and 3 x chips?

ah 3 x sausage and 3 x chips

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Stadium Catering on 12:08 - Aug 30 with 868 viewsChurchman

Stadium Catering on 10:21 - Aug 30 by FifeITFC

Agreed. It's not "new" news that the prices inside any stadium are horrendous. Why not grab something to eat outside the ground from the burger vans or even grab a McDonalds/KFC/BK en route?

I was at Hampden Stadium recently and realise why there was a huge range of different food vans outside the ground. The food inside the stadiums were absolutely disgusting, overcooked, overpriced and inedible. The drinks were equally as bad.

Will never buy food/drink inside the stadium anymore. It's just exploitation. With a little preparation, get yourself something outside.

Actually the burger I had from the van behind Kevin Beattie’s statue was nice.

There’s various ways - last Sat it was a home made cheese baguette which was nice. Did have a £5.95 Carlsberg in the ground. Overpriced but I fancied it. As long as prices are there for all to see it’s up people to choose. I do think there’s an opportunity for football clubs to do better though.
Login to get fewer ads

Stadium Catering on 12:53 - Aug 30 with 845 viewsHARRY10

Stadium Catering on 12:08 - Aug 30 by Churchman

Actually the burger I had from the van behind Kevin Beattie’s statue was nice.

There’s various ways - last Sat it was a home made cheese baguette which was nice. Did have a £5.95 Carlsberg in the ground. Overpriced but I fancied it. As long as prices are there for all to see it’s up people to choose. I do think there’s an opportunity for football clubs to do better though.

Nobody is being 'ripped off'. What is being sold is optional. If it was an essential item and the club were charging far more then yes, otherwise no.

As to quality, then along with the price, any club will simply charge what they know they can get. League Cup at home to a PL club will not be the same prices as the League Cup final at Wembley v same PL club.

As long as folk are willing to pay those prices, then the club will charge accordingly.
Stadium Catering on 13:27 - Aug 30 with 821 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Nice of Harry to educate us ‘thicko’s’, I never realised that’s how supply and demand work.

Not a chance he’s ever stepped foot in a football ground with the working class he had so much disdain for…
Stadium Catering on 13:28 - Aug 30 with 821 viewsloyalfan

Stadium Catering on 22:15 - Aug 29 by mrfixit426

Squeezing prices up doesn't make sense if people like me draw a line and decide it's too much. I bought drinks 75% of the time last season. I won't this season.

Totally agree with you. I have stopped buying food and drink inside PR this season. It's one thing to be expensive but the current prices are taking the proverbial. I think the club may have shot itself in the foot on this one.
Stadium Catering on 13:34 - Aug 30 with 815 viewsNumber22

Stadium Catering on 18:13 - Aug 29 by Daninthecampo

Dare I ask how much a pint is?

5.95 I think...
Stadium Catering on 19:13 - Aug 30 with 703 viewsstrikalite

Stadium Catering on 12:53 - Aug 30 by HARRY10

Nobody is being 'ripped off'. What is being sold is optional. If it was an essential item and the club were charging far more then yes, otherwise no.

As to quality, then along with the price, any club will simply charge what they know they can get. League Cup at home to a PL club will not be the same prices as the League Cup final at Wembley v same PL club.

As long as folk are willing to pay those prices, then the club will charge accordingly.

Yep, whilst they're selling nothing will change, I'm sure they're comparable with other Clubs, strange how I don't mind being ripped off by Ipswich Town but anywhere else I'm fuming :)
Stadium Catering on 20:29 - Aug 30 with 670 viewssticklegs

Stadium Catering on 07:54 - Aug 30 by hawess

I was reflecting today with my son that in thirty years of watching football I think the only beverage or food I have bought at a football ground is a bovril at Oakwell and a burger at Bury Town (Suffolk). Same with cinema. Take my own stuff.

I agree... I used to buy the odd pie or Bovril 30 years ago but it's now so overpriced. Not really sure why people can't last a few hours without having to eat something.
Stadium Catering on 20:53 - Aug 30 with 649 viewsitfcpaul

Stadium Catering on 20:28 - Aug 29 by stonojnr

its not that clear cut anymore as the law/rules have changed multiple times over the years.

you are supposed to show consumers sufficient information at the point of sale, so that they are not misled on price.

but its not prescribed how you show or even share that information, or where it needs to be shown

best practice is just to carry on putting up a price list (or equiv) next to the bar, usually an A4 sheet of paper in the corner, most concert venues with multiple bar outlets that operate similarly to football clubs do that

and I suspect the club probably do the same, theres no reason why they wouldnt, but you might have to go hunting for it, which isnt the easiest thing during matches, as it wont be the most obvious bit of paper.

No it hasn't??????

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Stadium Catering on 20:54 - Aug 30 with 648 viewsitfcpaul

Stadium Catering on 21:56 - Aug 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

Lots of folks with ADHD and the like need to get to the ground in plenty of time.

that's a truly awful attitude to people with disabilities

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024