Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neighbour issues 17:35 - Aug 14 with 4385 viewsPaul

Not a frequent poster here but would appreciate a view from others.

Whilst on holiday, our neighbour has taken it upon themselves to cut back the trees and hedges that run along the shared boundary. No issues with this, except that they have
a) done a rubbish job,
b) come over the boundary line into our grounds by over 6 foot in places, and
c) killed 2 nesting birds (doves) that were in one of the trees in the process.

This follows a disagreement a couple of weeks ago when the neighbour in question asked when I would have the shrubs and trees trimmed as they were coming over the fence. I told them it would be in the autumn (as we have done every year for years) but they could cut back any overhanging branches from their side up to the boundary as it's their right. However, they weren't happy and threatened to cut them all down and the conversation ended on heated terms. Nothing further happened until we went away and came home to all the cuttings dumped on our lawn.

From my understanding the Criminal Damage Act 1971 provides that unless you have a lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly causing damage to “any property belonging to another” amounts to a criminal offence. That includes a hedge. Therefore, what they have done equates to criminal damage. If so, what should I do about it (serious responses please)? Police? As much as I want to confront them about it, there's no point as the damage has been done but I want to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Neighbour issues on 17:40 - Aug 14 with 3273 viewsthe_toff

Each to their own and all that but personally I would think trying to go down the criminal route might be futile, cause you stress and headaches (perhaps cost) and ultimately not really achieve anything other than further souring the relationship.

I would certainly make a point about C though. Perhaps put the bodies of the 2 birds in a box and return them to your neighbour for burial. At the very least mention it, and how disappointed you were to see what had happened.
Neighbour issues on 17:48 - Aug 14 with 3187 viewsHARRY10

I am not sure what you have been issued with, buit the problem would be in proving your neighbours cut down what you have said

It is fairly obvious from what you have said they are the culprits, but without proof you are probably farked.

If you take it to a small claims court the judgement is made on the balance of probability. You can never tell which way things will go either. If you don't win it will cost you, and the likelihood of having a smug cnt living next door. Even if you win I don't think you would get much in the way of compensation.

Let it rest for a week then decide.

Very rarely are there winners in neighbour disputes. Stuff escalates as one side is all too often totally unreasonable and blows up stuff beyond reasonable behaviour, and thinks they are right. No matter the evidence to the contrary.

Some folk in life are cnts. A hard lesson to learn. To me years to learn, and at cost too.
Neighbour issues on 17:48 - Aug 14 with 3176 viewsDJR

This indicates that they could have committed two offences, one under the Criminal Damage Act and one under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

https://www.blbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/hedge-law-uk/

I am not sure if the police will want to get involved in what they might regard as a boundary dispute, but you could try, if you think involving the police would stop their behaviour, as opposed to raising tensions.

The other option would be to contact someone like the RSPB who may well be willing to act given what they have done to the pigeons, although they may only be interested in more endangered species.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/policy-insight/working-with-the-law/investigati
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 17:52]
Neighbour issues on 17:49 - Aug 14 with 3169 viewsRyorry

Most homeowners are I think covered for a certain amount of legal advice & work in their buildings/household insurance. I'd check on that, as it could be that lay advice might worsen the situation.

Something to also consider is that you wouldn't want to build up ongoing hostilities with the neighbours, as you may be stuck with them for years. Maybe your insurers also cover negotiaton services?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Neighbour issues on 17:51 - Aug 14 with 3148 viewsPerublue

I’d let it go, my parents had hell with something similar which spanned a couple of decades and outlived some of the people … as an aside I do remember when working on the hedge cutting gang with council many many moons ago we weren’t allowed to start our rounds until the end of the nesting season which I’m sure was late June julyish but my brain is like jelly so could be wrong.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Neighbour issues on 17:59 - Aug 14 with 3084 viewsHerbivore

The proportionate response would be to slash their tyres.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Neighbour issues on 18:00 - Aug 14 with 3082 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Very unusual to have a genuine shared boundary, unless its a party wall, as the boundary is a line of zero thickness meaning that the fence/hedge always sits on someones property.

Check your deeds and make sure there is a 'T' on both sides of the boundary line.

They've definitely committed an offence under the Wildlife Act as it's clear no survey took place before cutting. However, they'll just deny doing it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Neighbour issues on 18:01 - Aug 14 with 3071 viewsRyorry

Neighbour issues on 17:59 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

The OP shouldn't sink to their level - and they sound the sort to have CCTV ...

Login to get fewer ads

Neighbour issues on 18:04 - Aug 14 with 3049 viewsMattinLondon

Have you previously been on good terms with them or are they relatively new?
Neighbour issues on 18:04 - Aug 14 with 3031 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Neighbour issues on 18:01 - Aug 14 by Ryorry

.....and a 'friend' on the council....
.....and the local neighbourhood watch.....

Neighbour issues on 18:04 - Aug 14 with 3030 viewsMattinLondon

Neighbour issues on 18:01 - Aug 14 by Ryorry

I’m pretty sure that he was joking.
The OP specifically.... on 18:07 - Aug 14 with 2958 viewsBloots

Neighbour issues on 18:04 - Aug 14 by MattinLondon

....asked for serious responses.

Otherwise I would have suggested dog crap through the letterbox.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Neighbour issues on 18:08 - Aug 14 with 2940 viewsRyorry

Yeah - even so, OP Paul did ask for "serious responses".

Neighbour issues on 18:10 - Aug 14 with 2915 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yeah. Slashing tyres is actually incredibly hard.
Far easier to snip of the air valves with a pair of secateurs.

Neighbour issues on 18:14 - Aug 14 with 2862 viewsRyorry

Neighbour issues on 18:10 - Aug 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Yeah. Slashing tyres is actually incredibly hard.
Far easier to snip of the air valves with a pair of secateurs.

The OP specifically.... on 18:16 - Aug 14 with 2841 viewsMattinLondon

The OP specifically.... on 18:07 - Aug 14 by Bloots

....asked for serious responses.

Otherwise I would have suggested dog crap through the letterbox.

Yeah, because people on here never post piss take responses.
People need to grow up. (n/t) on 18:21 - Aug 14 with 2801 viewsBloots

The OP specifically.... on 18:16 - Aug 14 by MattinLondon

Yeah, because people on here never post piss take responses.

Luke, chapter four, verse twenty-three (n/t) on 18:25 - Aug 14 with 2779 viewsfactual_blue

People need to grow up. (n/t) on 18:21 - Aug 14 by Bloots

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Neighbour issues on 18:26 - Aug 14 with 2772 viewsEEJB

Neighbour issues on 17:59 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

That would be a criminal offence. Why would he do that?
Were you in that bit? (n/t) on 18:27 - Aug 14 with 2759 viewsBloots

Luke, chapter four, verse twenty-three (n/t) on 18:25 - Aug 14 by factual_blue

Neighbour issues on 18:31 - Aug 14 with 2752 viewsPaul

Have you previously been on good terms with them or are they relatively new?

We started off on good terms, but the relationship deteriorated when they started texting us regularly complaining about all manner of things such as our kids playing in the garden during the day (apparently they shouldn't because the neighbour works nights), our decades old oak tree that drops acorns into their garden and then the plants in our garden that grow and block light. We got so fed up with the near constant whinging we blocked them on our phones and social media so any interaction now is face to face.

We are having CCTV put up and are determined to be the bigger people in this despite the upset caused.
Neighbour issues on 18:37 - Aug 14 with 2698 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Neighbour issues on 18:31 - Aug 14 by Paul

We started off on good terms, but the relationship deteriorated when they started texting us regularly complaining about all manner of things such as our kids playing in the garden during the day (apparently they shouldn't because the neighbour works nights), our decades old oak tree that drops acorns into their garden and then the plants in our garden that grow and block light. We got so fed up with the near constant whinging we blocked them on our phones and social media so any interaction now is face to face.

We are having CCTV put up and are determined to be the bigger people in this despite the upset caused.

Trouble with neighbour disputes is there is no winning and they can trundle on for years and years.

It might be worth having a chat with a local solicitor for some legal advice. Especially as there is some level of harassment involved too via text.

Neighbour issues on 18:38 - Aug 14 with 2684 viewsgiant_stow

Feel for you mr - I have neighbour issues which have nearly come to blows - not nice. I'd look to calm the situation down: tell him he's done wrong, but you don't want a battle - just a promise from him to come speak to you about any further strife. If he breaks that, then get heavy. No one needs a long-running thing with a neighbour - can really eat a person up.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Neighbour issues on 18:41 - Aug 14 with 2637 viewsPaul

Neighbour issues on 18:37 - Aug 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Trouble with neighbour disputes is there is no winning and they can trundle on for years and years.

It might be worth having a chat with a local solicitor for some legal advice. Especially as there is some level of harassment involved too via text.

Thanks.

Yeah, I can't be doing with the hassle really. We have very different lifestyles to each other but there is a line and they have crossed it. Hopefully the CCTV is enough of a deterrent moving forwards.
People need to grow up. (n/t) on 18:49 - Aug 14 with 2572 viewsBlueBadger

People need to grow up. (n/t) on 18:21 - Aug 14 by Bloots

Calm down fella, it's just banta. Like Blueas does.

Be Kind.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024