Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition 16:11 - Aug 8 with 1671 viewsSarge

I held back from doing one of these for the Sunderland game in case anybody felt like picking up the mantle and submitting a HarryfromBath tribute act but in the absence of any takers I've taken a look at the Bristol Rovers forums ahead of tomorrow night's game:

The Last Game
Bristol Rovers kicked off their season with a game viewed by many in the fanbase as a tough start, away to Portsmouth, at a ground where they haven’t won since 1975. The Gas conceded an agonising what-used-to-be-last-minute equaliser from Kusini Yengi in the 92nd minute, although given the new added time rules, this now falls somewhere around the midpoint of the second half. Despite this though, the result and performance were well received with fans taking heart in the showings of a number of new signings as well as a new style of play imposed by back-alley philosopher turned Gashead-in-chief Joey Barton

"We would have taken a draw at the start. Lots of learning but we have competed and have not looked second rate against a top, top team. Plenty to be happy with."

The Ipswich Connection
Rovers boast three former Ipswich personnel in their ranks, one time hat trick hero Grant Ward signed in January and has since been joined at the Memorial Ground by Luke Thomas, arriving for his second spell at the club from Barnsley, and James Wilson who turned down a new contract at Plymouth and is now, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, back in League One. It’s fair to say that given his leading role in the Pilgrim’s excellent campaign last season, many Rovers fans saw this as some excellent business

"Very happy with this signing , exactly what we’ve missed at the back."

"Experience and leadership in the heart of defence was exactly what we were lacking last season. Good signing, looking forward to seeing him play."

Although not all were convinced, particularly given his provenance as a graduate of the Bristol City academy

"I’ll make my decision when I’ve seen him play a few games, seen too many ex City players come here and flop, especially at the back end of their career, that’s why most were released in the first place. I’m in the fence on this one."

Playing style
Over the summer Barton has instilled a highly organised and drilled style, with players knowing and performing their defined roles to culminate in a team that looks to pass the ball and builds from the back. This relies on having a goalkeeper good with his feet and with previous #1 James Belshaw looking out of favour this job on the opening day fell to 20 year old Brentford loanee Matthew Cox, making his senior professional debut

"I agree, our way of playing out from the back means the keeper has to be comfortable with the ball at his feet, Belly [Belshaw] unfortunately is not.
Cox is part of the new keepers who by and large are comfortable playing this way, plus his skills have been honed at a Premiership club."

"Cox was assured & confident in everything he did"

As with any new style, it will take time for both players and fans to adapt, and there were some signs of first day nerves on the forums for this more gregarious style and tactics the opposition might deploy to negate it

"This ‘playing out from the back’ is going to be the end of me!!"

"Pompey seemed to have worked out that if they press our defence we're more likely to give them the ball back than catch them on the break"

Nevertheless, it seems like the new way is something the Rovers fans can get behind, particularly when the performance and result pass muster as was the case on Saturday

"Love the way players support one another when they make a good tackle or defend well. We are super fit and hunt individuals down when they have the ball. Teamwork at its best. So far, holding out"

"Draw away at Pompey not to be sniffed at. They dominated us second half and it was a stern test for our new look defence. Despite that pressure we persistently played out from the back, it almost cost us a couple of times but you have to admire it."

"Good point on reflection, we looked great going forward. We need to work on stopping crosses tho it was a joke how many crosses we let come in the box especially second half. Portsmouth are a very direct team glad I don’t watch them every week, however they are effective ."

Ipswich
Perhaps unsurprisingly there has been minimal discussion of the game on Wednesday, with the Carabao Cup not exactly whetting the appetites of many football fans, save perhaps for a large proportion of the Indonesian population if they get wind that Elkan Baggott may be starting. Most of the post-match discussion on Gasworks focused on their chances in their next league outing versus Barnsley, who they will surely be hoping wind it in a bit following their 7-0 demolition of Port Vale. Rovers fans weren’t exactly enthralled to see our name pulled out of the hat, although this may be as much down the distance to Portman Road as it is the quality of the team that lives there.

"haha. out in R1 again! "

"Horrendous draw!"

"As grim as it gets"

It’s accepted and expected that both teams will field changed sides, a few changes for Rovers and likely an entire changed 11 for Ipswich

"Fitness test for squad players - likely a 3-0 loss, although we might sneak something if we're solid. Not too bothered!"

"As we still have a few players out injured, I don't expect wholesale changes. However, a lot of those who were on the bench on Saturday should be starting in my opinion. Belshaw, Crama, Taylor, Sinclair and Evans should all be starting.

"Wouldn't be surprised to see 4-5 changes for Ipswich. Would be good to see [Ryan] Jones get a few minutes if he is staying, rather than just EFL trophy games. Would expect Belly to start."
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 17:51 - Aug 8 with 1488 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Thanks Sarge, nicely done!

You've got a very readable style which follows on nicely in Harry's footsteps, whilst being distinctive in its own right.

I would be delighted if you want to keep on doing this for the whole season.
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 17:58 - Aug 8 with 1460 viewscatch74

Great stuff, thank you. Another minor Ipswich connection, Kusini is Tete’s older brother.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 22:04 - Aug 8 with 1253 viewsSarge

Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 17:51 - Aug 8 by ArnoldMoorhen

Thanks Sarge, nicely done!

You've got a very readable style which follows on nicely in Harry's footsteps, whilst being distinctive in its own right.

I would be delighted if you want to keep on doing this for the whole season.

Thank you, that’s very kind and is all the motivation I need to give it a go for every game.
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 22:10 - Aug 8 with 1231 viewsMullet

Reckon he'll love that when he reads it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 22:20 - Aug 8 with 1189 viewsolimar

Good stuff! You should get Phil to put it on the front page!
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 22:20 - Aug 8 with 1188 viewsFreddies_Ears

Excellent preview - thank you!
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 23:40 - Aug 8 with 1067 viewsChurchman

Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 22:04 - Aug 8 by Sarge

Thank you, that’s very kind and is all the motivation I need to give it a go for every game.

That was excellent. Thank you.
Bristol Rovers (H) - A 'busy' look into the opposition on 10:22 - Aug 9 with 817 viewsBrockleyBlue78

Top work!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024