Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People who go to the football for a scrap 13:30 - Aug 7 with 8528 viewsTresBonne

It's so weird! Atmosphere in that Wheatsheaf yesterday was quality, both sets of fans having a drink, colours out no issues, everyone having a great time with the weird but hilarious entertainment.

Then after the game, walking back to car park and a group of 10 Burberry scarf wearing sixteen year old Sunlun kids start trying to pick a fight with everyone, eventually succeed and manage to somehow not beat up a fellow sixteen year old Ipswich fan 6v1!

It's just so daft and it makes me laugh every time. Fighting someone because the 11 men which you support wear a different colour shirt to the 11 men they support

Anyway, on the whole, a brilliant day with some very welcoming and friendly mackems. Wish them all the best for the season!
People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:32 - Aug 7 with 6909 viewsDJR

As someone who grew up with football hooliganism in the 70s, I never show my colours away from the ground at away games because it only takes one idiot.
People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:37 - Aug 7 with 6823 viewsthe_toff

They’ve always travelled to us well too. Good numbers, generally respectful. Remember the days when they used to take over the inkerman when the landlord was a Mackam before he ran off with the Christmas club money.
People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:41 - Aug 7 with 6769 viewsWeirdFishes

Every person we came across was overwhelmingly nice, even some kid who can’t have been older than 10 congratulated us on our walk back.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:41 - Aug 7 with 6776 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yeah the Wheatsheaf was good fun.

I walked in colours with my boy from the ground to the Metro, about 1k, in the middle of Sunderland fans with no issues. No problem on the platform waiting for about 15 minutes and no issues in the rain ti Newcastle.

I thought the majority were really nice people.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 13:45]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:48 - Aug 7 with 6665 viewsblueasfook

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:32 - Aug 7 by DJR

As someone who grew up with football hooliganism in the 70s, I never show my colours away from the ground at away games because it only takes one idiot.

I thought genuine hoolies have a a "code" not to pick on people wearing colours (scarfers)? But having said that, most of them are idiots with small penis issues so a bit much to expect them to follow some kind of code I guess.

There was the case of a Cambridge Utd fan who got beaten up in Southend and ultimately died after being left severely disabled. Middle aged bloke just trying to enjoy the football and got a kicking from some Southend "hardmen". Absolute idiocy.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:57 - Aug 7 with 6575 viewsStevieH

I remember having a good drink in the Harbour View pub in Roker before a match a few years ago. Sunderland fans are generally a good bunch.
I also saw the chubby, Burberry wearing school kids trying to pick fights on the bridge after the game. It was pathetic.
To be fair, some Sunderland fan went over and told them to pack it in
People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:58 - Aug 7 with 6547 viewsTresBonne

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:41 - Aug 7 by WeirdFishes

Every person we came across was overwhelmingly nice, even some kid who can’t have been older than 10 congratulated us on our walk back.

Just a shame there is ALWAYS dckheads at every single club. Was one of the friendliest experiences I've had waiting in line for the ticket office, Sunlun fans all having a chat with me and a mate in our shirts.

Saying that, one of them did mug my pal right off - told him away fans could go to the front of the queue last season (much to the anger of the locals who had been waiting for ages) . He was quite rightly kicked to the back!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 13:59]
People who go to the football for a scrap on 14:01 - Aug 7 with 6505 viewsbenrhyddingblue

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:41 - Aug 7 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah the Wheatsheaf was good fun.

I walked in colours with my boy from the ground to the Metro, about 1k, in the middle of Sunderland fans with no issues. No problem on the platform waiting for about 15 minutes and no issues in the rain ti Newcastle.

I thought the majority were really nice people.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 13:45]

Your last sentence is pretty much my experience of yesterday.

Parked up at the University and then walked to Roker before heading to the SoL. Chatted to a few Sunderland fans who were all friendly and then after game no issues walking back to the car. Even had a few say safe trip home and well done for coming.

I’d say they have a minority of idiots like every club, even us, but the vast majority are just there for the football
Login to get fewer ads

People who go to the football for a scrap on 16:22 - Aug 7 with 5831 viewsDJR

People who go to the football for a scrap on 13:48 - Aug 7 by blueasfook

I thought genuine hoolies have a a "code" not to pick on people wearing colours (scarfers)? But having said that, most of them are idiots with small penis issues so a bit much to expect them to follow some kind of code I guess.

There was the case of a Cambridge Utd fan who got beaten up in Southend and ultimately died after being left severely disabled. Middle aged bloke just trying to enjoy the football and got a kicking from some Southend "hardmen". Absolute idiocy.

I don't think such a code existed in the 70s, and, if it exists these days, I suppose I've never really wanted to test it on the way to grounds like Millwall, West Ham, Chelsea and the like.

As regards Sunderland, I went there in (I think) 1985 to see Ipswich and ended up in a pub full of retired ship workers. They were the loveliest people you could meet, but there was a bit of a language barrier.

EDIT: there was an incident last season where a Blackpool fan in his fifties died after an incident involving Burnley fans.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 17:51]
People who go to the football for a scrap on 16:41 - Aug 7 with 5683 viewscressi

People who go to the football for a scrap on 16:22 - Aug 7 by DJR

I don't think such a code existed in the 70s, and, if it exists these days, I suppose I've never really wanted to test it on the way to grounds like Millwall, West Ham, Chelsea and the like.

As regards Sunderland, I went there in (I think) 1985 to see Ipswich and ended up in a pub full of retired ship workers. They were the loveliest people you could meet, but there was a bit of a language barrier.

EDIT: there was an incident last season where a Blackpool fan in his fifties died after an incident involving Burnley fans.

As someone said I was brought up on football in the 70s where fighting was rife. Depending how you travel I always go casual no colours. Went to Forest a few yrs ago all the police waiting at train station every Town fan with shirts rounded up took to ground at half 11. While we went to hooters and a few pubs with no hassle at all even went in the Forest supporters bar at trent end no hassle with friendly banter.
People who go to the football for a scrap on 16:52 - Aug 7 with 5627 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Heard about some Burberry boys after the game and thought it was a joke, oh dear.

Found pretty much everyone to be great - got the park and ride in which was probably 60% Sunlun fans. A few stares but mostly friendly and a bit of gentle ribbing.

Did have a boy of about seven or eight playfully shout "tudee yee die Eepswich" as he ran past outside the ground. Watch out for that one in a few years time.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

People who go to the football for a scrap on 16:53 - Aug 7 with 5616 viewsMullet

There's been some where fans have just been set upon so there's no time to defend themselves etc. Believe that's what happened to a chap who was left so disabled he died a year or more later (possibly a Cambridge fan?)

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

People who go to the football for a scrap on 17:05 - Aug 7 with 5489 viewsjontysnut

There is a 'casual' youth culture where young teenagers in labelled gear try and get involved. I've seen it at non league games with crowds in the low hundreds and year 7s giving it large. I blame Instagram. There a was a funny stand off on a bus recently where some Burberry kids tried to get half fare but the driver said they'd got a carrier bag full of Carling.
People who go to the football for a scrap on 17:33 - Aug 7 with 5312 viewsyellowrider

You're right about Mackems. My niece is engaged to one and he has adopted us as his 'second' team so obviously I like the guy! Seriously, though, he is one of the most decent people you'll ever meet as are his family. Had no problems with them last season wandering round the ground before the game or afterwards despite (like you) beating them! Sheff Wed fans too have been no bother on the many occasions I've been to Hillsborough. Totally different to that undercurrent of hostility at Bramall Lane!.
People should just behave themselves and have banter by all means but at the end of the day just laugh it off. I bear no malice to any Ipswich fan and the thought of looking for a scrap on December 17th will be the last thing on my mind!
People who go to the football for a scrap on 17:41 - Aug 7 with 5269 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I bet they aren’t even proper footie fans, reckon the general chavscum you get in every town, and spend just as much time trying to start a fight outside a pub on Saturday night.

Take up combat sports if you want a fight. They’ll teach you respect, if not you’ll get a good pasting in sparring!
People who go to the football for a scrap on 17:53 - Aug 7 with 5172 viewsDJR

People who go to the football for a scrap on 17:33 - Aug 7 by yellowrider

You're right about Mackems. My niece is engaged to one and he has adopted us as his 'second' team so obviously I like the guy! Seriously, though, he is one of the most decent people you'll ever meet as are his family. Had no problems with them last season wandering round the ground before the game or afterwards despite (like you) beating them! Sheff Wed fans too have been no bother on the many occasions I've been to Hillsborough. Totally different to that undercurrent of hostility at Bramall Lane!.
People should just behave themselves and have banter by all means but at the end of the day just laugh it off. I bear no malice to any Ipswich fan and the thought of looking for a scrap on December 17th will be the last thing on my mind!

Well said.
People who go to the football for a scrap on 19:18 - Aug 7 with 4815 viewsChurchman

One of my best mates is a mackem. He’s now moved back to Sunderland with the gf. He’s been to the odd Ipswich game with me including Charlton away in 2014 and visa versa. I got to know his ex-pat Sunderland chums in London too and they’re all good fun - despite the language barrier!

We swapped messages yesterday before Radio silence. Then the rule is the person whose team loses (usually ITFC at SoL) texts first after a period of mourning. So I heard from him this morning.
People who go to the football for a scrap on 21:43 - Aug 7 with 4304 viewsCarpyBlue

I agree that hooliganism is wrong in the public eye but I think it should be allowed, providing that both sets of fans fight away from the ground and do not cause any damage to property or innocent bystanders.

If people want to get sniffed up and have a punch up on a Saturday why stop them as long as they're not hurting other people?
People who go to the football for a scrap on 21:50 - Aug 7 with 4218 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think your last sentence is pretty much the opinion of the vast majority of fans on both sides to be honest. It really is an idiotic minority, (on both sides), that will ruin it for the rest.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

People who go to the football for a scrap on 23:48 - Aug 7 with 3921 viewsJuggsy

I've lived up here for the last 20 odd years and currently run the control room at Metro. Going to be lovely going in tomorrow working with a load of Makems, been a long time coming to have on over on them. Also, I can confirm the Burberry Crew down there are every bit as brainless and destructive on the Metro system as you'd imagine them to be!
People who go to the football for a scrap on 05:57 - Aug 8 with 3579 viewsIPS_wich

100% agree. My wife grew up between Newcastle and Sunderland - went to school in Sunderland and we had our wedding reception there. The nicest bunch of people on the planet. Been to SoL to watch Ipswich multiple times in the late 90s and had no trouble at all.

Also agree on the Sheffield fans. Always thought the Wednesday fans were decent (until last year's bottle throwing) and the United fans were a bunch of d***heads.

Only trouble I've ever encountered watching Ipswich around the country was outside Brammall Lane (kicked in the shins several times but would have been worse if there weren't a bunch of cops the other side of the road) and chased back to my car after a 1-1 draw at Fratton Park by a bunch of Pompey idiots (that was probably the scariest experience I've had at the football).
People who go to the football for a scrap on 06:20 - Aug 8 with 3540 viewsNewcyBlue

People who go to the football for a scrap on 23:48 - Aug 7 by Juggsy

I've lived up here for the last 20 odd years and currently run the control room at Metro. Going to be lovely going in tomorrow working with a load of Makems, been a long time coming to have on over on them. Also, I can confirm the Burberry Crew down there are every bit as brainless and destructive on the Metro system as you'd imagine them to be!

When’s the new Metro going to be out and about?

We take the bairns for a walk via Tyne Dock metro most afternoons. They sometimes get a wave or a toot of the horn from the drivers.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:20 - Aug 8 with 3538 viewsNewcyBlue

People who go to the football for a scrap on 23:48 - Aug 7 by Juggsy

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

People who go to the football for a scrap on 08:01 - Aug 8 with 3284 viewsMattinLondon

People who go to the football for a scrap on 21:43 - Aug 7 by CarpyBlue

I agree that hooliganism is wrong in the public eye but I think it should be allowed, providing that both sets of fans fight away from the ground and do not cause any damage to property or innocent bystanders.

If people want to get sniffed up and have a punch up on a Saturday why stop them as long as they're not hurting other people?

Because inevitably someone will get seriously injured with the police, paramedics and doctors having to tidy up the mess. And all because a bunch of blokes think it’s manly to have a punch up. It’s all rather pathetic.
[Redacted] on 08:17 - Aug 8 with 3219 viewsvictorywilhappen

People who go to the football for a scrap on 08:01 - Aug 8 by MattinLondon

Because inevitably someone will get seriously injured with the police, paramedics and doctors having to tidy up the mess. And all because a bunch of blokes think it’s manly to have a punch up. It’s all rather pathetic.

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024