Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th 01:16 - Aug 1 with 3740 viewsquirkie

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/07/championship-2023-24-season-predictions-opta/

What was it a ZX81 they ran it on?

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:28 - Aug 1 with 507 viewsITFCBlues

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:02 - Aug 1 by BiGDonnie

We have improved the squad, we signed Hutchinson, Taylor and Hirst?

Are you making things up to fit your negative narrative?

Hirst was here last season. Taylor and Hutchinson I'll give you, although remains to be seen what kind of upgrade they'll offer.

But we certainly need more than that if we're serious about being challengers for the top 6.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:31 - Aug 1 with 504 viewsGuthrum

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:30 - Aug 1 by ITFCBlues

Mid table probably right. Unfortunately, we've still not improved the squad from last season. No idea how anyone can have us any higher than mid table based on this.

We haven't improved the team from last season (tho we have, by signing Taylor), but that is the same lot which beat Rotherham 4-1 and only lost to runaway Champ winners Burnley in the last minutes of a replay, before beating Preston and drawing with last season's playoff winners Luton during preseason.

Which gives us roughly P5 W2 D2 L1 GD+3. Extrapolated out, that would give us rougly 73 points and a hefty positive goal difference. Last season that would have got us in the playoffs (similar to Coventry's performance).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:35 - Aug 1 with 487 viewsDarth_Koont

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:44 - Aug 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I do personally think some people are underrating the challenge this season. I don’t think an anecdotal watch of the odd Championship game reflects the upgrade on the L1, and obviously a long season to keep up any momentum.

Think we will be comfortable, but surprised how many are expecting top 6. Happy to eat my words, but whilst the first team is strong, I do think some of our squad players will struggle to make the step up. A season of mid table and continuing to build in my humble opinion (and I’ll be very happy with that!).

Agreed.

Clearly, we can be ambitious and see how far a settled, upwardly mobile and confident squad and manager/coaching staff can go. But that unknown works both ways — for example, how will this squad deal with a couple of iffy results when they’’ll have to turn things around with a much tougher fixture list?

Staying in or close to the play-off battle for the majority of the season will be a good achievement and something to build on. Anything above that is a bonus.

On the lower end of expectations, I think we’ll comfortably survive. But 15th is looming again if we don’t hit the ground running.

Pronouns: He/Him

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 12:08 - Aug 1 with 450 viewsibbleobble

I have us top 8 so that computer’s algorithm is already questionable as it hasn’t taken into account qualitative insight.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 12:17 - Aug 1 with 441 viewsITFCBlues

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:31 - Aug 1 by Guthrum

We haven't improved the team from last season (tho we have, by signing Taylor), but that is the same lot which beat Rotherham 4-1 and only lost to runaway Champ winners Burnley in the last minutes of a replay, before beating Preston and drawing with last season's playoff winners Luton during preseason.

Which gives us roughly P5 W2 D2 L1 GD+3. Extrapolated out, that would give us rougly 73 points and a hefty positive goal difference. Last season that would have got us in the playoffs (similar to Coventry's performance).

Is Taylor an upgrade on Luongo?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 12:27 - Aug 1 with 428 viewstractorboy1978

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:35 - Aug 1 by Darth_Koont

Agreed.

Clearly, we can be ambitious and see how far a settled, upwardly mobile and confident squad and manager/coaching staff can go. But that unknown works both ways — for example, how will this squad deal with a couple of iffy results when they’’ll have to turn things around with a much tougher fixture list?

Staying in or close to the play-off battle for the majority of the season will be a good achievement and something to build on. Anything above that is a bonus.

On the lower end of expectations, I think we’ll comfortably survive. But 15th is looming again if we don’t hit the ground running.

I think it is perfectly fine to be optimistic but people need to remain realistic as well. If we finish in the top half with our current squad, that is an good achievement.

The danger is that too many fans believe the hype and start thinking not being in/really close to the top 6 by the end of this year is an underachievement.

We are still 2/3 'proper' signings away from a squad I'd say is serious promotion contender.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 12:41 - Aug 1 with 399 viewsGuthrum

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 12:17 - Aug 1 by ITFCBlues

Is Taylor an upgrade on Luongo?

Seems to have been extremely highly rated by Peterborough - and by McKenna enough to have pursued him for some time. On that basis, probably. Moreover, Luongo has suffered injury issues in the past.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 15:52 - Aug 1 with 333 viewsmarcus1642

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:28 - Aug 1 by Naylorsrightboot

This is probably quite accurate. The task this season is going to be a lot harder than people think. It's already proving difficult to get signing in as we are seeing. The season will be a hard slog and a big learning curve l fear.

Exactly this. I think we're good enough to stay out of the bottom 6, but I'm quite sure we will not trouble the top 6. In my opinion, the right side of our squad (RB, RWB, RW, RM depending how we setup) needs to be strengthened. We need a CB also and maybe a striker. As we are, I estimate 12th-15th league finish which I would be happy with. It will take a couple of transfer windows to become truly contenders in this league.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024