Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ULEZ.... 08:12 - Jul 21 with 7711 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Considering that 90% of Londoners will be better off.... that's one strange result!

"Yet 90% of people within the ULEZ don't have to pay anything and get the benefit of less air pollution.
So clearly the average bod within the ULEZ is benefitting given they don't pay."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

ULEZ.... on 20:46 - Jul 21 with 1747 viewsLord_Lucan

ULEZ.... on 19:32 - Jul 21 by HARRY10

You don't need to read the Mail when there's this paranoid rightie stuff.

If you carry a phone about with you, this supposed big brother kns exactly where you are every minute of the day. If you pay by card or phone he also knows what you have bought/paid for, where and exactly when.

90% of cars will not be affected. Cameras that monitor your road usage in these areas have long been in use, just as they are in every major shopping area, pub shop, petrol station etc.

Of course the real sheep are those that spout whatever their betters tell them, unquestionably. It was the same rightie paranoia that told us the smoking ban in public buildings would soon criminalise smoking itself. It would kill off pubs, theatres football grounds, even trains. I suspect they were bleating out the same paranoia when the move to end smog in London as introduced.

So why would 'their betters' want to over excite their sheep. Because they always have had a convenient scapegoat at hand, when needed. Perhaps these paranoids might wish to vent their anger at the man who suggest all this. That big brother (well big, in the sense of fat), one Boris Johnson.

"The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “The world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone is an essential measure to help improve air quality in our city, protect the health of Londoners, and lengthen our lead as the greatest city on earth. Together we can ensure everyone who lives, works in, or visits our city has the cleanest possible air to breathe.”

"Prime Minister David Cameron said: “I welcome this announcement which is a world first and great news for London, helping to enhance the quality of life "

I can't be arsed to pick your heap of waffle apart but I have one question.

If you have a partner and you both have a bit of a row over something trivial, say maybe you want an Indian and she wants a Chinese.

Do you stomp your feet and call her / him / they / a big Rightie?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

ULEZ.... on 20:47 - Jul 21 with 1744 viewsSwansea_Blue

ULEZ.... on 10:17 - Jul 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think it is the narrative that rich w@nkers driving Tesla's are going to save us while public transport remains unaffordable is what people have had enough of.

Probably better than rich w@nkers driving luxury 4x4s!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

ULEZ.... on 21:30 - Jul 21 with 1714 viewsDJR

These reputed words by Starmer come from the John Crace in the Guardian, and made me laugh.

“I am also immensely encouraged by our failure to win Uxbridge. For too long, Labour has been seen as the party of the liberal metropolitan elite. This result proves we have broadened our appeal and can also lose in our heartlands. Even when we’re fighting in a constituency whose previous incumbent was the second worst prime minister ever.

“A word on the campaign. I am proud of the way we fought. It would have been all too easy to have said that the Ulez charge was a Tory creation which was forced on Sadiq Khan by Grant Shapps when he was transport secretary. But that’s not who we, as Labour, are. We are much more half-witted than that. So we just said nothing about Ulez and hoped nobody would notice. But never mind. There’s always next time. Hopefully everyone affected by Ulez will have calmed down by the general election.”
ULEZ.... on 01:12 - Jul 22 with 1672 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ULEZ.... on 15:07 - Jul 21 by StokieBlue

How many people are driving from zone 4 to zone 1? That would involve paying for petrol, congestion charge and parking and that's before you talk about the yearly cost of insurance, tax and maintenance.

The cap for a Zone 4 to Zone 1 for a day is 11.70 GBP. Cheaper than using a car in most circumstances and also a lot easier and probably faster. I believe there are also concessions for key workers. That's also the maximum price if you make more than the simple return journey which seems to be 8 GBP.

It would be nice if rather than obfuscating or ignoring points you could answer why public transport in London is the issue here?

SB
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 15:15]

You do realise that people who can't afford cars need public transport to be cheaper than driving a car don't you? Thanks for confirming your disconnect from what is "affordable."

Edit.... https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/london-tube-crime-underground-tfl-fare

It came as Transport for London admitted it was losing £130m a year due to fare dodging – with one in 25 passengers not paying to travel.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 1:21]

ULEZ.... on 01:17 - Jul 22 with 1670 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ULEZ.... on 20:47 - Jul 21 by Swansea_Blue

Probably better than rich w@nkers driving luxury 4x4s!

Why on earth would you prefer a really smug rich w@nker to a smug rich w@nker?

ULEZ.... on 07:21 - Jul 22 with 1625 viewsElephantintheRoom

Alternatively consider the fact that 100% of people are hit by the decision that makes deliveries something of a nightmare - puts up prices for everyone and threatens many businesses with closure. Just to make an expensive political point

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

ULEZ.... on 08:25 - Jul 22 with 1591 viewsDJR

Interesting to note, with Labour blaming ULEZ for its defeat in Uxbridge and throwing Sadiq Khan under a bus (as Lewis Goodall on LBC put it), that the focus on the Today Programme this morning is now green issues.

Instead, Labour should have just said that they had never held Uxbridge which might have meant that the focus on the Today Programme was their astounding victory in Selby. Indeed, I am not wholly convinced ULEZ was the sole reason for their defeat anyway.

Adopting the approach they have appears to me to play into the Tories' hands because it will enable the Tories to further engage in the culture wars against green "crap". And with the timidity of Labour, it will merely mean they start to backtrack on the one issue where they appear to have shown some vision with their green investment plans.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 8:26]
ULEZ.... on 08:28 - Jul 22 with 1577 viewsGlasgowBlue

ULEZ.... on 07:21 - Jul 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Alternatively consider the fact that 100% of people are hit by the decision that makes deliveries something of a nightmare - puts up prices for everyone and threatens many businesses with closure. Just to make an expensive political point

Not sure why your post warranted a down vote.

I’m actually in favour of anything that reduces air pollution. Too many people die each year due to its effects.

However, you have explained supplier costs involved from ULEZ that are passed down to consumers and also the fact that some small businesses rely on passing traffic that will now reduce due to the scheme. Customers speak to small businesses. Those small business owners will point out the impact of ULEZ and that may affect how that customer may vote.

Nothing wrong in openly discussing the negative effects in a grown up manner.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 9:33]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

ULEZ.... on 08:29 - Jul 22 with 1577 viewsStokieBlue

ULEZ.... on 01:12 - Jul 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

You do realise that people who can't afford cars need public transport to be cheaper than driving a car don't you? Thanks for confirming your disconnect from what is "affordable."

Edit.... https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/london-tube-crime-underground-tfl-fare

It came as Transport for London admitted it was losing £130m a year due to fare dodging – with one in 25 passengers not paying to travel.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 1:21]

You're being disingenuous.

I've already shown it's cheaper than driving a car.

Honestly, these constant attempts to score points are becoming embarrassing, you should give it a rest.

SB
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 8:40]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ULEZ.... on 09:25 - Jul 22 with 1531 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ULEZ.... on 08:25 - Jul 22 by DJR

Interesting to note, with Labour blaming ULEZ for its defeat in Uxbridge and throwing Sadiq Khan under a bus (as Lewis Goodall on LBC put it), that the focus on the Today Programme this morning is now green issues.

Instead, Labour should have just said that they had never held Uxbridge which might have meant that the focus on the Today Programme was their astounding victory in Selby. Indeed, I am not wholly convinced ULEZ was the sole reason for their defeat anyway.

Adopting the approach they have appears to me to play into the Tories' hands because it will enable the Tories to further engage in the culture wars against green "crap". And with the timidity of Labour, it will merely mean they start to backtrack on the one issue where they appear to have shown some vision with their green investment plans.

I agree with all of that. Labour need to actually make a policy offering to the less well off which needs to include how to make a green agenda socially just. Promising more of the same is far from inspiring to say the very least.

ULEZ.... on 09:43 - Jul 22 with 1516 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ULEZ.... on 08:29 - Jul 22 by StokieBlue

You're being disingenuous.

I've already shown it's cheaper than driving a car.

Honestly, these constant attempts to score points are becoming embarrassing, you should give it a rest.

SB
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 8:40]

"I've already shown it's cheaper than driving a car."
When did you decide that was the debate? And anyway, good luck with getting tools on the tube if that is what your work requires. Or if you are a cleaner, care worker or midwife needing to get to several locations every day thus needing their own transport. Also 2 or 3 people sharing use of a second hand vehicle costing a few hundred pounds might disagree.

"Public transport in London is excellent and pretty affordable in general."
If you had to pay an hour's wage to get pretty much anywhere in London and back as anyone on minimum/low wage does would you regard that as affordable?
I in 25 users at the very least would disagree.

We initially disagreed about whether ULEZ "disproportionately affects the poorest in society." Do you still disagree, or is it the rich/middle classes that are really suffering here?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 9:45]

ULEZ.... on 11:10 - Jul 22 with 1481 viewsStokieBlue

ULEZ.... on 09:43 - Jul 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

"I've already shown it's cheaper than driving a car."
When did you decide that was the debate? And anyway, good luck with getting tools on the tube if that is what your work requires. Or if you are a cleaner, care worker or midwife needing to get to several locations every day thus needing their own transport. Also 2 or 3 people sharing use of a second hand vehicle costing a few hundred pounds might disagree.

"Public transport in London is excellent and pretty affordable in general."
If you had to pay an hour's wage to get pretty much anywhere in London and back as anyone on minimum/low wage does would you regard that as affordable?
I in 25 users at the very least would disagree.

We initially disagreed about whether ULEZ "disproportionately affects the poorest in society." Do you still disagree, or is it the rich/middle classes that are really suffering here?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 9:45]

"When did you decide that was the debate?"

"You do realise that people who can't afford cars need public transport to be cheaper than driving a car don't you? "

It was literally a point you raised.

Given you're being disingenuous with your responses I'll bid you good day.

SB
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 11:12]

ULEZ.... on 11:39 - Jul 22 with 1458 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ULEZ.... on 11:10 - Jul 22 by StokieBlue

"When did you decide that was the debate?"

"You do realise that people who can't afford cars need public transport to be cheaper than driving a car don't you? "

It was literally a point you raised.

Given you're being disingenuous with your responses I'll bid you good day.

SB
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 11:12]

Yes let's just say that you are correct in everything you say and leave it there then. Good day.

ULEZ.... on 12:50 - Jul 22 with 1423 viewsNomore4

ULEZ.... on 11:39 - Jul 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yes let's just say that you are correct in everything you say and leave it there then. Good day.

I’ve said many times…. It’s what’s happening inside the ULEZ that’s the problem.
20mph zones. Cameras for speed. Cameras at pedestrian crossings. Cameras at traffic lights. Cameras at bus lanes. Cameras at cycle lanes. Cameras on parking spots. Cameras on yellow box junctions. Cameras for ULEZ enforcement. Etc Etc.
Paying the ULEZ charge is the cheap and easy bit. Coming out without a fine for something else is the hard bit.
ULEZ.... on 13:10 - Jul 22 with 1403 viewsgiant_stow

ULEZ.... on 12:50 - Jul 22 by Nomore4

I’ve said many times…. It’s what’s happening inside the ULEZ that’s the problem.
20mph zones. Cameras for speed. Cameras at pedestrian crossings. Cameras at traffic lights. Cameras at bus lanes. Cameras at cycle lanes. Cameras on parking spots. Cameras on yellow box junctions. Cameras for ULEZ enforcement. Etc Etc.
Paying the ULEZ charge is the cheap and easy bit. Coming out without a fine for something else is the hard bit.

When the 20mph first came in I too found it really hard to stick to them, but over time, you basically get conditioned to a slower pace / more sedate driving style. I've had no tickets (bar being done for a dodgy right hand turn) so it is possible - just drive fast on motorways now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

ULEZ.... on 14:01 - Jul 22 with 1374 viewsDJR

ULEZ.... on 08:25 - Jul 22 by DJR

It's much worse than I thought given these words from Starmer in the light of the Uxbridge loss.

“We are doing something very wrong if policies put forward by the Labour party end up on each and every Tory leaflet. We’ve got to face up to that and learn the lessons.”

So not only is he throwing Khan under a bus, and at the same time completely undermining localism, he is now suggesting the only policies that Labour can put forward are those that will not be attacked by the Tories.

The logical outcome of this is that Labour need to adopt only Tory policies, because the Tories will attack, or distort, non-Tory policies whatever they are.

I despair.

EDIT: I have mentioned elsewhere that I didn't think the Uxbridge result was necessarily just down to ULEZ, so interesting to hear that Ben Kentish on LBC also thinks the same. He visited Uxbridge during the campaign and found virtually no enthusiasm for the Labour offering. But blaming ULEZ, and throwing Sadiq Khan under a bus, avoids difficult questions about Labour's offering more generally, especially in the south.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 19:13]
ULEZ.... on 08:09 - Jul 30 with 1058 viewsStokieBlue

New article highlighting the issues with air pollution within the ULEZ and the country in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/28/ulez-key-to-tackling-unaccep

"We would not accept these levels of harm from our drinking water, so why accept it from our air?"

SB

ULEZ.... on 09:08 - Jul 30 with 1020 viewsHerbivore

ULEZ.... on 11:39 - Jul 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

I would say that he's correct about public transport in London generally being cheaper than running a car, particularly an old one that is going to cost a fair whack in repairs and maintenance over the course of a year. Last car I owned I worked out that factoring in fuel, insurance, tax, MOT, and servicing/maintenance cost me about £200-250 a month and that was using it a couple of times a week at most, not daily, annual mileage under 5k. You're a bit out of touch if you think a trades person who needs to lug their tools around qualifies as a low earner these days. There are undoubtedly some low earners who will be affected by ULEZ but the focus should be on targeted support for them, not on scrapping a scheme designed to improve air quality and reduce emissions.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

ULEZ.... on 09:11 - Jul 30 with 1020 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ULEZ.... on 08:09 - Jul 30 by StokieBlue

New article highlighting the issues with air pollution within the ULEZ and the country in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/28/ulez-key-to-tackling-unaccep

"We would not accept these levels of harm from our drinking water, so why accept it from our air?"

SB

So what is needed is a socially just way of implementing it. Just read an article saying that in France for example lower income families can lease an electric car for £88/month which includes insurance and maintenance.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/30/rishi-sunak-and-keir-starm
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 11:45]

ULEZ.... on 09:16 - Jul 30 with 1016 viewswischip

Another side effect of ULEZ roll out near me is that ULEZ compliant cars are getting their registration plates stolen at night presumably to put on non-compliant vehicles. Someone near me went into Halfords to get new plates and the staff told him he was the 4th customer that day replacing stolen plates. Looks like ULEZ plates is the new crime category, easier to pinch than catalytic converters.
ULEZ.... on 09:20 - Jul 30 with 1009 viewsHerbivore

ULEZ.... on 09:11 - Jul 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

So what is needed is a socially just way of implementing it. Just read an article saying that in France for example lower income families can lease an electric car for £88/month which includes insurance and maintenance.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/30/rishi-sunak-and-keir-starm

That's the sort of scheme we need. Although ultimately if we are serious about climate change we also need to be phasing out private car ownership. Electric cars, their production and ongoing use and maintenance, are still polluting. Money needs to go into massively improving the quality, coverage and cost of public transport.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

ULEZ.... on 09:44 - Jul 30 with 991 viewseireblue

ULEZ.... on 08:09 - Jul 30 by StokieBlue

SB

I am slightly surprised that Labour didn’t do one of those Twitter attack ads that it liked a while back.

Rishi doesn’t care about your child’s health.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 9:44]
ULEZ.... on 10:39 - Jul 30 with 965 viewsronnyd

ULEZ.... on 13:10 - Jul 22 by giant_stow

When the 20mph first came in I too found it really hard to stick to them, but over time, you basically get conditioned to a slower pace / more sedate driving style. I've had no tickets (bar being done for a dodgy right hand turn) so it is possible - just drive fast on motorways now.

Do they have motorways in Norfolk Ulla?
ULEZ.... on 10:46 - Jul 30 with 942 viewsronnyd

ULEZ.... on 09:20 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

That's the sort of scheme we need. Although ultimately if we are serious about climate change we also need to be phasing out private car ownership. Electric cars, their production and ongoing use and maintenance, are still polluting. Money needs to go into massively improving the quality, coverage and cost of public transport.

Can't see that private car ownership ending in rural areas being a feasible thing. Rural bus services are being axed as it is. For people living in rural areas, car ownership is a must.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 10:47]
ULEZ.... on 10:56 - Jul 30 with 932 viewsStokieBlue

ULEZ.... on 09:11 - Jul 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

That sounds like something that should be implemented I agree.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024