Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goal statistics 13:42 - Jun 30 with 847 viewsMeenoITFC

It makes me laugh that everyone judges a player on paper statistics. It's not like KM know's what he's looking for does it?

'Hes only scored 7 in 17 at forest, I wouldn't go near him'

Teams play different styles, players have different play styles, teams with low morale bottom end of divisions don't score a lot of goals etc. Hirst scored 16 in 105 games before coming here, and hes a top class striker.

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Goal statistics on 17:32 - Jun 30 with 719 viewsChurchman

Agreed. Different players offer different things and one would hope KM knows exactly what he’s after.

Interestingly Trevor Whymark, despite four goals against Lazio and WBA was never more than a one in three/four striker. Neither was his partner, the late David Johnson. They both offered so much more than pure goals and nobody would describe them as anything but top players.
Goal statistics on 18:03 - Jun 30 with 680 viewsBigCommon

Totally agree with the OP.. Plus you have to factor in the different managers/coaches and playing styles players have played under..
All I'm interested in, is how our team performs, overall.. If KM thinks a player will improve our squad/dressing room, that's all I need to know.
Goal statistics on 18:21 - Jun 30 with 660 viewsSimonds92

Considering we're meant to be following stats based recruitment, i think the chances are he's on a list of strikers who have some of the attributes McKenna is looking for, compiled by the recruitment team. He then can make a decision on who he is willing to sign off on / make a priority. By what Phil said earlier, he isnt a top target anyway, so what people are saying regarding his stats, McKenna may agree with.
Goal statistics on 18:44 - Jun 30 with 639 viewsmonty_radio

We're a club rising up from L1 backwaters with a better budget than for a long time. And we have a manager who will recruit to a pattern. Having said that, it will still be a compromise between the fee and the talent. Added to which though, McK might well back himself to coach something further out of whomever we eventually land.

We are already seeing strikers linked that currently seem better at pure goalscoring (Sims) Or, they seem to have greater thrust and mobility (Hirst, Surridge). If it's one (or even two) of those three, McK would trust himself to coach in whichever area the eventual purchase seemed less proficient. But the compromise between price and coaching blueprint would remain the area in which a better-than-average coach earns his corn.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Goal statistics on 18:55 - Jun 30 with 619 viewsjayessess

In a division where our budget will be somewhere around 8th to 12th biggest in division, rather than clear 1st like last year, the only way you bridge the gap to the teams above you is by picking out talent that hasn't already been proven in the Championship. You have to find undervalued players, just getting what we pay for isn't going to cut it.

Everyone we sign will inherently come with a question mark, that's how it is.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 18:56]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024