Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric cars 14:11 - Jun 28 with 5223 viewsDJR

I am not sure whether anyone has posted this before but I was wondering what experience people have had with purely electric cars, and especially long distances.

The reason I ask is that a friend bought one a year ago, and has come to the conclusion that long distances are a no-no because of the difficulty of charging away from home. Indeed, he mentioned to me that there are fewer charging points this year than last.

The contrast couldn't be greater with Norway, where I have recently come back from. The tax system there makes electric cars cheaper than non-electric cars, and virtually all car sales are electric these days.

And when it comes to infrastructure, the person I was visiting owned a Tesla, and because of difficulties charging at home due to works being carried out, they were able to drive to a garage nearby which had 20 charging points, with they being the only user.

When it comes to the UK, I don't think I've ever seen more than two charging points in one place.

Of course, if all you do is drive within range, they are obviously ideal, but I don't think I'd want to use one on the two hour (or often more) drive to Town games when the trains are up the creek.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2023 14:16]
Electric cars on 14:13 - Jun 28 with 3425 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not direct experience, but we did see quite a lot of frustrated EV drivers at service stations when we went on holiday last year. A few years ago charging points were rarely used, whereas these days there often seems to be a queue (and no additional charging points).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Electric cars on 14:16 - Jun 28 with 3400 viewsWeekender

I am very happy with my (non Tesla) EV. I have a charge point at home which makes things very much easier.

For long distances Id say it depends on how many unplanned journeys you are doing. I.e if you routinely do the same journey then you will soon get to know when/where to charge on the way and its no issue. If however you are doing unfamiliar journeys charging can be more of an issue as you have to find chargers that are free/working etc. Numerous charging providers are also a pain as you have to set up accounts/download apps to get the charger going.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Electric cars on 14:20 - Jun 28 with 3363 viewshatch

Was in a supplier's electric car last night driving around sites and had a lengthy chat about it as he's recently received it as his company car. Summary points of conversation:

- To charge at home via 3 pin is treacle slow but costs around £16 for a 'full tank'. His company won't pay for this or for a electric charge point to be installed at home.
- His sat nav screen tells him where the nearest charge points are and how many available bays. They seem to be defined as 'quick' or 'rapid'. Quick takes 2-3 hours I think and rapid is 80 minutes.
- He has had to introduce additional planning to his life. He often sets off much earlier for meetings then works from his car whilst it is charging.
- At weekends he has found a charge near Lidl and does his food shop whilst it charges
- A full rapid charge still costs around £40-45 for him I think.
- The car itself drives well and is comfortable, although he did conserve the A/C last night which felt another faff.

My overall view is that we will continue to move towards EV for all the right reasons but there is a huge inconvenience to it all in a world where everyone wants everything immediately. We have technology leading to same-day delivery and all restaurants delivering to our door but it also means sitting around for over an hour waiting to charge our cars. If we can find a way past that time delay then I think the pros will well outweigh the cons.
Electric cars on 14:32 - Jun 28 with 3297 viewsSaleAway

The problem in the UK is that the BIK business tax system has made EVs very favourable, so new car sales have been very EV focused, but the charging infrastructure hasn't kept up, so there is definitely an issue with potentially not being able to find chargers. Obviously as well, a large proportion of UK home owners don't have drives, which makes home charging very difficult.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Electric cars on 14:36 - Jun 28 with 3263 viewsjontysnut

A friend of mine works for a company which provides risk analysis to insurance companies. People parking on the street and running a cable across paths is a new sources of trips and slips.
Electric cars on 14:38 - Jun 28 with 3244 viewsSwansea_Blue

Despite the money manufacturers are throwing at battery technology and new EV models, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we end up going down the hydrogen route in the longer term. We probably need a more secure source of renewable energy to cover the large energy demands of producing hydrogen, but once we do it's got many advantages over EVs.

Electric cars on 14:41 - Jun 28 with 3227 viewsSwansea_Blue

Electric cars on 14:36 - Jun 28 by jontysnut

A friend of mine works for a company which provides risk analysis to insurance companies. People parking on the street and running a cable across paths is a new sources of trips and slips.

i wonder how long it'll be before people find ways to tap into their neighbour's supply, if they haven't already

Electric cars on 14:44 - Jun 28 with 3203 viewshomer_123

EV owner - Polestar.

It's been excellent so far, 2 years in.

Journeys have varied from short regular to cross country trips.

Honestly, it requires a smigden more planning and yes, sometimes you have to wait if a super charger isn't available. Charge times on the super chargers is very quick, you can easily get to 80% in a very short space of time - grab a coffee, sandwich and a walk and you'll be ready to head off.

There is an issue with the number of non-working charges and that can be an issue sometimes, though not one that has caused me a 'major' issue...more an inconvenience, think turning up to petrol station and the tanker is and it's closed, you gotta nip to the next one.

Yes, the infrastructure needs to be better, no question there. But long journeys are not that much more difficult with an EV.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Electric cars on 14:46 - Jun 28 with 3195 viewshomer_123

The better solution for EV is battery swap out.

All batteries are the same, you nip to the garage, battery is swapped in minutes and you are away.

They have these already in China, which I admit would be tough on a single charge to get to.

Or, EV goes and we end up with Hydrogen.

Electric cars on 14:47 - Jun 28 with 3185 viewshomer_123

Electric cars on 14:32 - Jun 28 by SaleAway

The problem in the UK is that the BIK business tax system has made EVs very favourable, so new car sales have been very EV focused, but the charging infrastructure hasn't kept up, so there is definitely an issue with potentially not being able to find chargers. Obviously as well, a large proportion of UK home owners don't have drives, which makes home charging very difficult.

Roadside charging via street lighting is the solution for that.

Easier said than done.

Electric cars on 15:02 - Jun 28 with 3133 viewsDanTheMan

We've got a Corsa EV.

It doesn't have great range and can only really echo what offers have said in the thread. You have to plan a little better if you think you'll need to top up but usually, we aim for top up for 20-30 minutes rather than do a full charge.

Most of the car use is for a commute + pottering around the local area so it's had a very limited impact on us. Might require some patience if you ever need a charger and they are all in use but it's not the end of the world.

If it was up to me, we wouldn't have a car as I prefer to rely on public transport but my wife needs it for commuting.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Electric cars on 15:14 - Jun 28 with 3038 viewsDJR

Electric cars on 14:36 - Jun 28 by jontysnut

A house next to the station where I live, which used to have a charging cable several feet above the pavement which ran from the upstairs bedroom to the electric car, burnt down a year or so ago.
Electric cars on 15:25 - Jun 28 with 2989 viewsBent_double

Electric cars on 14:38 - Jun 28 by Swansea_Blue

Despite the money manufacturers are throwing at battery technology and new EV models, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we end up going down the hydrogen route in the longer term. We probably need a more secure source of renewable energy to cover the large energy demands of producing hydrogen, but once we do it's got many advantages over EVs.

I agree, can't help but think that EVs are a stop-gap before we get hydrogen cars or synthetic fuel gets to the same price as petrol/diesel.

I certainly wouldn't consider buying an EV at the moment, hybrid perhaps, but not pure electric.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Electric cars on 15:29 - Jun 28 with 2975 viewsFreddies_Ears

Most people who own electric cars don't use them for longer journeys, they keep a conventionally-powered car to save the faff.
I recent drove St Malo to Toulon, 12 hours over 2 days, and can only recall seeing one electric car the whole time. Distances in France do not lend themselves to electric.
In UK, the cost of charging at motorway service stations is close to or even above the cost of petrol or diesel, and that's before you add on the cost of the coffee while you wait an hour...
Electric cars on 15:33 - Jun 28 with 2959 viewsvilanovablue

I've got an EV and absolutely love it, waiting on a home charger which will make things easier. I have done a couple of longer trips and have a helpful app which says where chargers are and what speed. The takeaway for me is you just have to think about things a little more.

I was in Scotland in the highlands for 10 days and had a Tesla and managed OK there even in effectively the middle of nowhere.

I think the mish mash of different providers doesn't help at all
[Post edited 28 Jun 2023 15:37]
Electric cars on 15:45 - Jun 28 with 2914 viewsrealprojection

I regularly drive my Tesla from Yorkshire to Ipswich (even more soon now I have season ticket). It's brilliant. There are a 16 Tesla superchargers at Grantham plus a load of new Gridserve ones now too, so easy charging en route. Suffolk isn't great for changing yet, but new fast chargers popping up all the time on A14. There are even Tesla super chargers planned at junction 53 of A14 near Ipswich.

Blog: Desperate Data – the Extreme Numbers That Defined Ipswich Town’s Dismal Season

Electric cars on 15:50 - Jun 28 with 2881 viewsTractorBrew

Literally just having my home charger installed...

I think it is a case of looking at your use, and being sensible. For us, we spend 80% of our time doing 20 miles or less running kids about or short commutes to work/station/airport. We also have a second ICE car (massive estate) which is for big trips, camping etc. To be fair, I am actually considering if we need to keep that, or just sell it and hire the equivalent for when we need to do such a trip.

Our MG 4 has 250 miles range (real world), and it is fair to say if I was to do a long trip I would probably be taking a break before I got to 0. Would just be a case of planning it out and not being overly ambitious.

That said, I probably wouldn't be going full EV if I spent all day up and down motorways - efficiency seems to drop off above about 60 in my limited exerpience
Electric cars on 15:51 - Jun 28 with 2878 viewsScotBlue

Just had my company EV car for 6 weeks and enjoying it. Company installed a home charger and get about 300 miles range. Advantage being that whenever I leave home it is full. Like having your own petrol station. Although living in Scotland and covering the whole of the UK I have not done enough trips yet to get annoyed. Found a few motorway services that have a large number of chargers and are a couple of hours from home when heading back from the South so plug in grab a coffee, d some work reports saving ne from doing when i get home and I am back on the move after around 45 minutes. Also beneficial to make sure when travelling a big distance that I am having a proper break.
It may all change however when I have to start to que up for chargers or they are not available, but so far so good. Just means leaving home slightly earlier when heading out to clients
[Post edited 28 Jun 2023 15:52]
Electric cars on 16:04 - Jun 28 with 2828 viewshomer_123

Electric cars on 15:29 - Jun 28 by Freddies_Ears

Most people who own electric cars don't use them for longer journeys, they keep a conventionally-powered car to save the faff.
I recent drove St Malo to Toulon, 12 hours over 2 days, and can only recall seeing one electric car the whole time. Distances in France do not lend themselves to electric.
In UK, the cost of charging at motorway service stations is close to or even above the cost of petrol or diesel, and that's before you add on the cost of the coffee while you wait an hour...

"Most people who own electric cars don't use them for longer journeys..."

Not sure that is the case....define longer journeys.

For me, I head to Devon, Cornwall and Wales on a fairly regular basis....use EV for that no issues.

Electric cars on 16:19 - Jun 28 with 2799 viewsTractorBrew

Electric cars on 16:04 - Jun 28 by homer_123

"Most people who own electric cars don't use them for longer journeys..."

Not sure that is the case....define longer journeys.

For me, I head to Devon, Cornwall and Wales on a fairly regular basis....use EV for that no issues.

I find some people just can't get their head around the behavioral change required. I have challenged some people who have made this statement to keep track of their "long journeys" and see how many are >200 miles, which in my opinion is a bit of a tipping point. My step dad, retired, tells me how he couldn't drive an EV because of the range. Not sure he ever leaves Suffolk/Essex.

People just fundamentally struggle with the concept of thinking ahead, and not being willing to change their mindset around this
Electric cars on 16:22 - Jun 28 with 2787 viewshomer_123

Electric cars on 16:19 - Jun 28 by TractorBrew

I find some people just can't get their head around the behavioral change required. I have challenged some people who have made this statement to keep track of their "long journeys" and see how many are >200 miles, which in my opinion is a bit of a tipping point. My step dad, retired, tells me how he couldn't drive an EV because of the range. Not sure he ever leaves Suffolk/Essex.

People just fundamentally struggle with the concept of thinking ahead, and not being willing to change their mindset around this

As I said in my original reply. You do have plan a bit more but it's not a major change by any stretch.

Most EV cars will show you nearby chargers and also their availability, so even if you don't plan you are not left in the lurch.

And yes, I've had the same conversation with quite a few.

Electric cars on 18:35 - Jun 28 with 2598 viewsronnyd

Electric cars on 15:45 - Jun 28 by realprojection

I regularly drive my Tesla from Yorkshire to Ipswich (even more soon now I have season ticket). It's brilliant. There are a 16 Tesla superchargers at Grantham plus a load of new Gridserve ones now too, so easy charging en route. Suffolk isn't great for changing yet, but new fast chargers popping up all the time on A14. There are even Tesla super chargers planned at junction 53 of A14 near Ipswich.

A bit out of your way perhaps but there is a row of Tesla chargers at the Elveden Inn on the B1106 BSE to Brandon road. Never seen many cars at them the times i've been past. Probably installed for the rich Tesla owners who go to Centre Parcs.
I believe that 'range anxiety' is quite prevalent among EV owners.
Electric cars on 18:37 - Jun 28 with 2596 viewsmylittletown

I have had a Tesla for over two years. I have a home charger.

I make regular trips from Bristol to Suffolk Nottingham and Glasgow, without any issues. For instance, on my trips to Suffolk, I usually stop and plug in at Birchanger services, get a coffee and a sandwich, consume them in the car, and then, after about 15-20 minutes, I am on my way. That will usually do me for the round trip. If not, I pop into Membury for 10 minutes on the way home.

I think that it would be much more difficult without the Tesla Superchargers, though, as they are very quick and never too busy. I have only ever had to wait once - five minutes at Birchanger.
The other rapid chargers are nothing like as quick, and I have often seen people having to wait for them.
Electric cars on 18:43 - Jun 28 with 2581 viewspositivity

my experience has been very good, if the big services are full, there'll usually be another one a few miles down the road.

you have to plan a bit more, but you get into the habit of it. one issue is the annoying amount of apps you have to download, the charger network needs nationalising!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Electric cars on 18:56 - Jun 28 with 2561 viewsDJR

Electric cars on 18:43 - Jun 28 by positivity

my experience has been very good, if the big services are full, there'll usually be another one a few miles down the road.

you have to plan a bit more, but you get into the habit of it. one issue is the annoying amount of apps you have to download, the charger network needs nationalising!

Do all the the different charging points work for every vehicle?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024