Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist 14:13 - Mar 2 with 11290 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436

Assuming we're allowed to talk about this now the case has finished, finding her guilty seems harsh to me, let alone 3 years of prison. Partially sighted person gets cross at a cyclist on a pavement.... except no one seems to know if its a pavement or shared track. Isn;t the council ultimately at fault?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:35 - Mar 2 with 3993 viewsmo_itfc

In the article:

"He said that she had given a "dishonest account in interview" and there was "not a word about remorse until today"."

That would be a factor in the sentancing.

But yes, the council should also take blame as that cycleway wasn't clearly marked.

Had it have been clearly marked as a footpath only, forcing someone into moving traffic like that would still be an offence. IMO the guilty verdict is correct.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:35 - Mar 2 with 3993 viewsClapham_Junction

The fact that she showed no remorse after the cyclist died (and left the scene rather than trying to help after the cyclist was hit by a car, and then apparently lied about the situation) is pretty shocking and I would have imagine contributed to the outcome.

Even if it wasn't a shared pavement/cycleway, it should not be unacceptable for vulnerable cyclists who are not confident being on the road to be on the pavement (young kids and elderly people).
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:43 - Mar 2 with 3942 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:35 - Mar 2 by mo_itfc

In the article:

"He said that she had given a "dishonest account in interview" and there was "not a word about remorse until today"."

But yes, the council should also take blame as that cycleway wasn't clearly marked.

Had it have been clearly marked as a footpath only, forcing someone into moving traffic like that would still be an offence. IMO the guilty verdict is correct.

Yeah the pedestrian doesn;t seem like a lovely person.

I looked at the video and I'm not sure that it was clear that the cyclist was forced onto the road by the pedestrian's actions personally. To me, its a tragic accident, but accept that's just my uninformed opinion.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:46 - Mar 2 with 3929 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:35 - Mar 2 by Clapham_Junction

The fact that she showed no remorse after the cyclist died (and left the scene rather than trying to help after the cyclist was hit by a car, and then apparently lied about the situation) is pretty shocking and I would have imagine contributed to the outcome.

Even if it wasn't a shared pavement/cycleway, it should not be unacceptable for vulnerable cyclists who are not confident being on the road to be on the pavement (young kids and elderly people).

I think your second para is overweighting the needs of a vulnerable cyclist compared to the needs of a vulnerable, partially sighted walker. That's why I'd blame the road setup and call it an accident personally.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 14:47]

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:48 - Mar 2 with 3901 viewsronnyd

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:35 - Mar 2 by mo_itfc

In the article:

Looked at the CCTV footage earlier this morning and no way was that poorly surfaced pavement anywhere near wide enough to be classed as a cycle way as well as a pavement. Just another cop out by police, (no pun) and the local council. I don't think the pedestrian shouting at the cyclist to "get off the f'in pavement helped her case mind.
Added 'Don't' to hopefully make more sense of what i meant.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 15:07]
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 15:00 - Mar 2 with 3801 viewsClapham_Junction

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:46 - Mar 2 by giant_stow

I think your second para is overweighting the needs of a vulnerable cyclist compared to the needs of a vulnerable, partially sighted walker. That's why I'd blame the road setup and call it an accident personally.

If the pedestrian had not tried to force the cyclist off the pavement (verbally or otherwise), and the cyclist had had to veer off simply because there was not enough space, I would agree with you. However, having seen the video, I personally think it's quite clear that the cyclist ended up in the road because of unneccessary actions of the pedestrian (hence why the judge made the decision they did).
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 15:10 - Mar 2 with 3753 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 15:00 - Mar 2 by Clapham_Junction

If the pedestrian had not tried to force the cyclist off the pavement (verbally or otherwise), and the cyclist had had to veer off simply because there was not enough space, I would agree with you. However, having seen the video, I personally think it's quite clear that the cyclist ended up in the road because of unneccessary actions of the pedestrian (hence why the judge made the decision they did).

I think you could describe the pedestrians actions as defensive and a reaction to perceived danger personally. Basically, there too much room for interpretation and opinion in this for such a serious conviction to be safe, again in my opinion.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 15:56 - Mar 2 with 3653 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 15:10 - Mar 2 by giant_stow

I think you could describe the pedestrians actions as defensive and a reaction to perceived danger personally. Basically, there too much room for interpretation and opinion in this for such a serious conviction to be safe, again in my opinion.

She's walking in the middle of the pavement, and if anything slightly over to the cyclist's side. So a "defensive reaction to perceived danger" would be to move over to the right. No, she was clearly being aggressive towards the cyclist and confronting her rather than avoiding her. No "interpretation and opinion" for me.

If that wasn't bad enough, then the fact that she went off to do grocery shopping before the emergency services even arrived, gave a "dishonest account in interview", there was "not a word about remorse until today", AND it was a shared cycleway anyway - absolutely no debate.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:14 - Mar 2 with 3619 viewsEwan_Oozami

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 15:56 - Mar 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

She's walking in the middle of the pavement, and if anything slightly over to the cyclist's side. So a "defensive reaction to perceived danger" would be to move over to the right. No, she was clearly being aggressive towards the cyclist and confronting her rather than avoiding her. No "interpretation and opinion" for me.

If that wasn't bad enough, then the fact that she went off to do grocery shopping before the emergency services even arrived, gave a "dishonest account in interview", there was "not a word about remorse until today", AND it was a shared cycleway anyway - absolutely no debate.

Why couldn't the cyclist stop as it appeared to me she was heading straight for the pedestrian?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:20 - Mar 2 with 3584 viewsElderGrizzly

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:46 - Mar 2 by giant_stow

Didn't the say her disability played no part in her actions and shouldn't be used in mitigation.

It was a selfish act by the pedestrian that had tragic consequences.
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:39 - Mar 2 with 3550 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s tragic for everyone involved. But 3 years seems incredibly harsh for yelling at a cyclist.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:46 - Mar 2 with 3523 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:14 - Mar 2 by Ewan_Oozami

Why couldn't the cyclist stop as it appeared to me she was heading straight for the pedestrian?

Looks like there's enough room to me, and in any case the pedestrian could've moved over slightly. The cyclist is already right next to the road, whilst there's plenty of room to the right of the pedestrian.

It's a shared cyclepath so there's no reason the cyclist should have to stop. It's about being considerate of others, not being aggressive because you don't like them sharing your path/ignorance.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:51 - Mar 2 with 3501 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:39 - Mar 2 by Illinoisblue

It’s tragic for everyone involved. But 3 years seems incredibly harsh for yelling at a cyclist.

That was my initial thought, but when you read the full story it's not simply "yelling at a cyclist."
For starters the cyclist was killed.
Then there's the trauma of the driver whose life will never be the same.
The pedestrian went off to do grocery shopping (before the emergency services even arrived). Clearly not bothered that her actions have at least seriously injured someone, and as it turned out killed them.
She gave a "dishonest account in interview".
There was "not a word about remorse until today".
AND it was a shared cycleway. So she had no business shouting at the cyclist anyway.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:01 - Mar 2 with 3460 viewsbluelagos

Have to say am with Dolly on this one.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:38 - Mar 2 with 3363 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:01 - Mar 2 by bluelagos

Yeah I can see the twtd court of opinion is leaning that way, although by no means unanimous, which I think says quite a lot. I reckon watch this space personally.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:02 - Mar 2 with 3296 viewsEwan_Oozami

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:01 - Mar 2 by bluelagos

Agreeing with Dolly? Are you feeling ok BL??

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:09 - Mar 2 with 3261 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:02 - Mar 2 by Ewan_Oozami

naughty!

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:16 - Mar 2 with 3224 viewsbluelagos

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:02 - Mar 2 by Ewan_Oozami

Even a broken clock is right two times a day!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:29 - Mar 2 with 3185 viewsWhos_blue

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 16:39 - Mar 2 by Illinoisblue

Illy, the cyclist died mate.
Your arguement is a little simplistic on this one.
It was found to be more than just "yelling" at someone. That action robbed that family of a loved one.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:34 - Mar 2 with 3167 viewsWhos_blue

Not harsh at all Ulla.
The cyclist responded to the shout and the hand movement and fell in to the road and was killed.
Had she had ridden straight into the pedestrian we'd all behaving a go at cyclists.
I do think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one mate.
The cyclist would still be alive were it not for the actions of the pedestrian.
I'm not sure that can be understated.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:36 - Mar 2 with 3163 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:29 - Mar 2 by Whos_blue

Illy, the cyclist died mate.
Your arguement is a little simplistic on this one.
It was found to be more than just "yelling" at someone. That action robbed that family of a loved one.

I think its important to separate the tragic nature of this with the causes.

I really don't want to upset anyone, but I would say there were various causes to this: the pedestrian's actions, the pedestrian's vulnerability, the 'design' (or lack of) of the pathway / combined with the apparent speed of car traffic and also, I'm really sorry to say, the lack of rider ability.

Blaming the death of the cyclist completely on the pedestrian seems unjust to me.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:39 - Mar 2 with 3156 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:34 - Mar 2 by Whos_blue

Not harsh at all Ulla.
The cyclist responded to the shout and the hand movement and fell in to the road and was killed.
Had she had ridden straight into the pedestrian we'd all behaving a go at cyclists.
I do think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one mate.
The cyclist would still be alive were it not for the actions of the pedestrian.
I'm not sure that can be understated.

This is a very delicate subject, so maybe I ought to pipe down, but thanks all for the debate.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:41 - Mar 2 with 3149 viewsWhos_blue

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:36 - Mar 2 by giant_stow

I really don't want to upset anyone, but I would say there were various causes to this: the pedestrian's actions, the pedestrian's vulnerability, the 'design' (or lack of) of the pathway / combined with the apparent speed of car traffic and also, I'm really sorry to say, the lack of rider ability.

Blaming the death of the cyclist completely on the pedestrian seems unjust to me.

The pedestrian has already stated their intention to apoeal, so we'll see I guess.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:43 - Mar 2 with 3144 viewsWhos_blue

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:39 - Mar 2 by giant_stow

This is a very delicate subject, so maybe I ought to pipe down, but thanks all for the debate.

No offence taken by me.
I just don't agree and I hold the opposite opinion.

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 19:14 - Mar 2 with 3019 viewsEwan_Oozami

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:36 - Mar 2 by giant_stow

I'm with you on this one, ulla...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024