Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What did we do before cashpoints? 19:14 - Feb 26 with 2356 viewsYallop2

I vaguely remember my first circular 92 TSB Cornhill
What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:23 - Feb 26 with 2090 viewsazuremerlangus

Mostly got paid in cash, and of you didn’t then you probably went into the bank and cashed a cheque on pay day.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:24 - Feb 26 with 2089 viewsgainsboroughblue

Can recall a weekly trip to the TSB or Lloyd's on Bramford Road (before they merged) to withdraw a ton in cash. Once it was gone, it was gone. No nasty surprises looking at my statements wondering why £30 came out at 3 in the morning.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:36 - Feb 26 with 2043 viewsbluelagos

Young enough to have always lived with ATMs in the Uk. But in Nigeria, Liberia and Malawi never had access to ATMs.

In Nigeria opened a local bank account and would cash a cheque every couple of weeks. Malawi and Liberia I got paid in cash (monthly)

In all three I invested in a small safe (or lockable tin) - wonder if people did the same back in the day?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:41 - Feb 26 with 2024 viewsYallop2

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:24 - Feb 26 by gainsboroughblue

Can recall a weekly trip to the TSB or Lloyd's on Bramford Road (before they merged) to withdraw a ton in cash. Once it was gone, it was gone. No nasty surprises looking at my statements wondering why £30 came out at 3 in the morning.

I feel we may be of the same era. I left Holywells High in 92
What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:57 - Feb 26 with 1976 viewsOldsmoker

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:36 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

Young enough to have always lived with ATMs in the Uk. But in Nigeria, Liberia and Malawi never had access to ATMs.

In Nigeria opened a local bank account and would cash a cheque every couple of weeks. Malawi and Liberia I got paid in cash (monthly)

In all three I invested in a small safe (or lockable tin) - wonder if people did the same back in the day?

I helped my mum turn the mattress on her bed once and there was about 50quid there. After that, I used to sneak in from time to time and slide my hands under the mattress but never found anything.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

What did we do before cashpoints? on 21:28 - Feb 26 with 1832 viewsDJR

Cash points (or ATMs) have been around since the mid-60s, but I am not sure that I used one until Barclays brought out the debit card in the mid-80s.

The debit card was a wonderful invention because it largely dispensed with the need to use cheques.

On a related issue, I well remeber the drive in-bank that the Royal Bank of Scotland operated at their branch next to Admiralty Arch. It has since gone, but I can't imagine there was another in the UK.
What did we do before cashpoints? on 21:40 - Feb 26 with 1815 viewsjontysnut

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:23 - Feb 26 by azuremerlangus

Mostly got paid in cash, and of you didn’t then you probably went into the bank and cashed a cheque on pay day.

If was running short of funds and had exceeded my overdraft, I would buy something from Marks and Spencers by cheque and immediately take it to another counter and ask for a cash refund.
What did we do before cashpoints? on 22:24 - Feb 26 with 1764 viewsmonkeymagic

What did we do before cashpoints? on 21:28 - Feb 26 by DJR

Cash points (or ATMs) have been around since the mid-60s, but I am not sure that I used one until Barclays brought out the debit card in the mid-80s.

The debit card was a wonderful invention because it largely dispensed with the need to use cheques.

On a related issue, I well remeber the drive in-bank that the Royal Bank of Scotland operated at their branch next to Admiralty Arch. It has since gone, but I can't imagine there was another in the UK.

Colchester (Stanway) had a drive through NatWest. Despite it not being particularly convenient for me, I used it for the novelty factor. Pre ATM days/overdraft I remember getting anxious if I’d had a heavy weekend, as I’d need to cut back during the week ahead of pay day on Friday. There was something magical about those little brown pay day envelopes, and pound notes always felt more valuable than the coins that replaced them. TWTD.
Login to get fewer ads

What did we do before cashpoints? on 22:34 - Feb 26 with 1748 viewsBluespeed225

What did we do before cashpoints? on 21:28 - Feb 26 by DJR

Reg Varney opened the first one! About 67' I believe.
What did we do before cashpoints? on 22:43 - Feb 26 with 1733 viewshoppy

What did we do before cashpoints? on 22:34 - Feb 26 by Bluespeed225

Reg Varney opened the first one! About 67' I believe.

That was at Barclays in Enfield Town.

Having lived there for 20 years, often heard that as an answer to a quiz question in various variants.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

What did we do before cashpoints? on 07:00 - Feb 27 with 1601 viewsPendejo

As other posters have stated cash points had been around for well over a decade before my first job in 1984. I was paid by BACS monthly at a time many of my friends were still getting paid in cash weekly.

So, I've grown up with cash points as have never been paid in cash.

Though was paid by cheque fortnightly in one job, and even the dodgiest company I worked for (no pay slip, didn't pay HMRC) paid by BACS.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What did we do before cashpoints? on 07:09 - Feb 27 with 1590 viewsPippin1970

Remember getting paid at 16 at Sainsbury's wad of cash each week. Used to get 6 weeks profit share in cash each year lol. Went straight out to buy Ford Capri at 18 in cash.
What did we do before cashpoints? on 10:03 - Feb 27 with 1407 viewsGlasgowBlue

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:24 - Feb 26 by gainsboroughblue

There used to be a bloke who came in our local pub in the early to mid 80's who called 'Billy Big B0ll0cks'. He was about 10 to 15 years older than the rest of us.

He would go to the bank on a Friday afternoon and withdraw a load of cash. He'd keep the cash rolled up in his pocket and flash it about when buying a drink, hopin to look like he was rolling in it.

He didn't spend much of it and then used to deposit it back in the bank on Monday morning.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What did we do before cashpoints? on 10:09 - Feb 27 with 1397 viewsPinewoodblue

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:36 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

Still have small safe, disguised as a book, which contains various foreign currencies, mainly $ & €

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What did we do before cashpoints? on 10:17 - Feb 27 with 1361 viewsMerthyrblue

Nat West in the late 70's gave you two cards. The Cornhill branch had a machine which gave you a tenner per card. The cards were then posted back to you
What did we do before cashpoints? on 10:50 - Feb 27 with 1286 viewsEdwardStone

A lot of people were paid in cash

My first "real" job was in CAV, Sudbury.... one of 2500 employees

A Securicor van used to arrive on Thursdays, a couple of beefy guards would hop out the back and look around before giving the ok to the man with the briefcase that was chained to his wrist, then came the walk to the Wages Office.

They would break the money down into wage packets... these would be taken down to the shop floor by the Foreman and he was accompanied by a couple of minders.

And then we would queue outside the Foreman's office, cap in hand, to get handed our wages.

The payroll heist was very much a staple of shows like Sweeny, Softly Softly and even Dixon of Dock Green iirc
What did we do before cashpoints? on 13:13 - Feb 27 with 1170 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

You had to go to the bank during opening hours, and write a cheque for cash. Then I remember at NatWest having a cashpoint card, which was a strange thing with holes in it. The dispenser would give you a sealed envelope with a £10 note in it. More than enough to have a good weekend.
What did we do before cashpoints? on 13:26 - Feb 27 with 1151 viewsPerublue

I think a lot more things were "on tab" before the ATMs and then settled up later when practical.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

What did we do before cashpoints? on 20:55 - Feb 27 with 1028 viewsCoastalblue

What did we do before cashpoints? on 22:24 - Feb 26 by monkeymagic

Colchester (Stanway) had a drive through NatWest. Despite it not being particularly convenient for me, I used it for the novelty factor. Pre ATM days/overdraft I remember getting anxious if I’d had a heavy weekend, as I’d need to cut back during the week ahead of pay day on Friday. There was something magical about those little brown pay day envelopes, and pound notes always felt more valuable than the coins that replaced them. TWTD.

Those little brown envelopes that had a bit cut out at the top? The notes just showing so you could actually count and check before opening the envelope?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What did we do before cashpoints? on 07:25 - Feb 28 with 912 viewshoppy

What did we do before cashpoints? on 13:26 - Feb 27 by Perublue

I think a lot more things were "on tab" before the ATMs and then settled up later when practical.

I daren’t even think about how much money I’ve spent on Tabb over the years…

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

What did we do before cashpoints? on 08:15 - Feb 28 with 881 viewsElephantintheRoom

Paid by cheque. As they still do in a lot of places here in France

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What did we do before cashpoints? on 08:57 - Feb 28 with 835 viewsbluelagos

What did we do before cashpoints? on 10:50 - Feb 27 by EdwardStone

A lot of people were paid in cash

My first "real" job was in CAV, Sudbury.... one of 2500 employees

A Securicor van used to arrive on Thursdays, a couple of beefy guards would hop out the back and look around before giving the ok to the man with the briefcase that was chained to his wrist, then came the walk to the Wages Office.

They would break the money down into wage packets... these would be taken down to the shop floor by the Foreman and he was accompanied by a couple of minders.

And then we would queue outside the Foreman's office, cap in hand, to get handed our wages.

The payroll heist was very much a staple of shows like Sweeny, Softly Softly and even Dixon of Dock Green iirc

The payroll heist...

So am often asked if I was scared on my various jobs away, and monthly payroll day in Liberia was always a nervous day. I used to do the payroll of around 25k USD which would be delivered by the bank on a Thursday afternoon and straight into the safe.

Friday am I would have to pack all the wageslips and wages into envelopes for distribution on the Friday afternoon. All good until you remember that Liberia had a 14 year civil war, that guns were everywhere, indeed one of my employees was an ex combatant.

Was a sitting duck if someone walked in to rob us, as the sole key holder for the safe 😬

What did we do before cashpoints? on 09:15 - Feb 28 with 801 viewsEdwardStone

What did we do before cashpoints? on 08:57 - Feb 28 by bluelagos

The payroll heist...

So am often asked if I was scared on my various jobs away, and monthly payroll day in Liberia was always a nervous day. I used to do the payroll of around 25k USD which would be delivered by the bank on a Thursday afternoon and straight into the safe.

Friday am I would have to pack all the wageslips and wages into envelopes for distribution on the Friday afternoon. All good until you remember that Liberia had a 14 year civil war, that guns were everywhere, indeed one of my employees was an ex combatant.

Was a sitting duck if someone walked in to rob us, as the sole key holder for the safe 😬

That sounds slightly worrying Mr BL

That amount of cash in a poor country would be a huge temptation

I doubt that Regan and Carter were on hand to speed to your rescue in their Granada
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 9:15]
What did we do before cashpoints? on 09:37 - Feb 28 with 757 viewsbluelagos

What did we do before cashpoints? on 09:15 - Feb 28 by EdwardStone

That sounds slightly worrying Mr BL

That amount of cash in a poor country would be a huge temptation

I doubt that Regan and Carter were on hand to speed to your rescue in their Granada
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 9:15]

Was defo more at risk in Monrovia than Lagos. The security training was an eye opener (learned about different gun fire, what to do if kidknapped etc.) and was told the most common causes of death for aid workers was road crashes, malaria and shootings only came in third.

Rather sobering was the fact that 37 year old, single men were statistically the most at risk. I turned 37 a week later :-)

What did we do before cashpoints? on 10:01 - Feb 28 with 729 viewsRadlett_blue

What did we do before cashpoints? on 19:23 - Feb 26 by azuremerlangus

I was in Scotland playing golf with 2 friends & suddenyl realised it was Friday & we needed to get to a bank or we'd have no money for the weekend, unless we could persuade a pub to cash a small cheque. I knew the banks shut at 3, we were on a golf course so I told my mate whose car we were using. He refused to hurry up at all as he didn't think we could get to a bank by 3pm so me & my other mate virtually had to drag him to the car. We found a bank in St Andrews, it was a few minutes past 3, so I hammered on the large, wooden door & god bless the Scots, the door opened & I cashed a cheque after stomping in, wearing my metal golf spikes.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024