Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds 10:38 - Feb 19 with 6256 viewsunstableblue

Comparing Ipswich’s starting 11 and Sheffield weds is really telling, and their loan status

Walton 27
Davis 23
Wolfenden 24
Burgess 27
Clarke 21
Morsy 31
Humphreys 19
Broadhead 24
Chaplin 26
Burns 28*
Hurst 24 (loan but will be bought)

Dawson 27
Famweo 24
Flint 33 (loan)
Iorfa 27
Palmer 31
Johnson 32
Byers 26
Bannan 33
Vaulks 29
Smith 31
Windass 29

We’re following a completely different strategy to them, their squad is more expensive in terms of wages, and it’s going to get promoted. Their’s at it’s prime now. Ours in 2-3 seasons. We have 4 or 5 players some way from their prime, with value to increase.

They’ll have to start from scratch and it is key players who will soon be past it. For ourselves our energies need to start to turn to finding the next Morsy.

And yet we played them off the park for 40mins and were far better than then at Hillsborough.

I think my point is that we are a longer term bet and project, and some of our fans need to consider this.

To be critical of McKenna perhaps we’ve got the mix wrong, for example I think Clarke is going to be a brilliant player, but he’s still young and learning. Could we have brought in a 28 year old, better than Donacien.

To finish Luongo showed the point yesterday of mature, high quality players fixing today (but not tomorrow)… he was head and shoulders above anyone when he came on. Looked a different level. If we’d had him all season and fit, we’re top. If Evans had stayed fit perhaps we stay top. If Ball had stayed fit we’d be in a different place.

I think Luongo could change our season if he stays fit, but he may not, and he’s certainly not an option for next season. Like a huge chunk of the Sheffield Weds team!

* Note - it strikes me Burns is a senior pro at 28, a Windass equivalent. No way we are getting the consistency we need, love the guy… but like Morsy he needs to be putting 7+ in every week.

[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 14:01]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 10:51 - Feb 19 with 6099 viewsSparky85

Whilst I see your point, I still think it would be a catastrophic failure if we don’t go up this season. Whilst our football is more than good enough for the championship, I fear we are not horrible or clinical enough to get out of league 1 this year.

Also just a note, Michael Smith was picked up on a free transfer, not loan
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 10:56 - Feb 19 with 6050 viewsSlimitfc91

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 10:51 - Feb 19 by Sparky85

Whilst I see your point, I still think it would be a catastrophic failure if we don’t go up this season. Whilst our football is more than good enough for the championship, I fear we are not horrible or clinical enough to get out of league 1 this year.

Catastrophic ?, come on, it’s football, the recent earthquake was catastrophic
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 11:26 - Feb 19 with 5930 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 10:51 - Feb 19 by Sparky85

I think catastrophic failure is rather dramatic but also not quite correct

Failure to make the top two is very disappointing, that was the goal, we have funded the team to a scale that mean it should have been achieved. Illness and injury are valid factors, Camara and Ball and a consistently fit Evans, we’re a different team. Camara was one of Plymouths best performers last term.

I think failure is not making top two, major failure is not having a strong showing in the play-offs.

I never thought we’d finish first, Sheff Weds squad is as I hope I explained have a different squad profile that is far stronger, and pragmatic* their fans (who include my family) haven’t enjoyed much of the football at times..) but they’ve built a resilience and confidence we don’t yet have.

Plymouth as I’ve stated have had a continuity to their project that many just don’t understand.

Anyway the season is far from over, I don’t think we’ll make top two.

But I really hope we can make it through the play-offs.

I actually think we’ve still got work to do on our big game confidence and strength - and for me we to build that with McKenna, over time. Rather than throwing everything in the bin and starting again.

But again we are a longer term strategy and plan… and people need patience and some resilience.

There was a caller on BBC Suffolk saying we’ve spend millions on fees and therefore we should guarantee promotion - but much of that was Clarke, Davis, Broadhead… we may not see these players best for 2-3 seasons FFS

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 11:30 - Feb 19 with 5892 viewswrightsrightglove

We’re a championship ready team / squad, they’re a league 1 winning team / squad. If you put both of us straight into the championship now and didn’t allow any squad alterations, we’d finish much higher than them in the championship. But they’ve worked out how to get out of this league and built a squad to do just that. It’s great that we’re building for the future but we also need the players to get us into the championship first.

Luongo, as you’ve mentioned, is a great example of that. You need those sort of players who can get stuck in and be a bit of a battering ram in this league and have the experience to back it up. That’s the major difference between us and Wednesday this season and I’m sure with a few additions in the closed season they’ll do well in the championship.
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 12:29 - Feb 19 with 5641 viewsWestcountryblue

Totally agree about Luongo. He still looks about 3-4 games off being fully match fit.

Since Ball's injury, Morsy has looked like a player with a little too much responsibility on his shoulders and has had to do a lot of nastiness that Humphreys perhaps isn't ready to do.

If we can get Luongo fit and hopefully have Camara and Ball available from the beginning of next month, we should start to see the best of our skipper again who'll have more a license to make those driving late runs into the box as he did earlier on in the season. Amazed he has managed to avoid a yellow in the last 2 games and a 2 match suspension.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 12:31]
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 12:56 - Feb 19 with 5465 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Only Flint is on loan I think

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:16 - Feb 19 with 5319 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No idea where you get your info from but 3 of the players listed as on loan at SW are permanent players. I’m also quite happy to predict that when this seasons accounts are published next year our wage bill will prove to be higher

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:17 - Feb 19 with 5312 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 11:30 - Feb 19 by wrightsrightglove

We’re a championship ready team / squad, they’re a league 1 winning team / squad. If you put both of us straight into the championship now and didn’t allow any squad alterations, we’d finish much higher than them in the championship. But they’ve worked out how to get out of this league and built a squad to do just that. It’s great that we’re building for the future but we also need the players to get us into the championship first.

Luongo, as you’ve mentioned, is a great example of that. You need those sort of players who can get stuck in and be a bit of a battering ram in this league and have the experience to back it up. That’s the major difference between us and Wednesday this season and I’m sure with a few additions in the closed season they’ll do well in the championship.

I think you’ve summarised the situation well.

I agree we’re probably closer to being Championship ready if promoted, and with a squad with so much more improvement in it, than Weds, and frankly they’re going to have rebuild in the summer. The problem is THEY'RE GOING TO BE A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!

I think what is critical is that we needed another strong centre mid with real quality and strength, and some creativity, ALL SEASON. Ball, Evans, Camara (albeit he’s closer to a 10) and Luongo have fitness issues.

Luongo is probably too little too late, and I’m sceptical he will stay fit for the run-in.

My Owls family members thought he was their best player last season! But injury prone. They’d have kept him.

They also felt that last season they would have folded during our second half onslaught at PR - but they didn’t and that’s the difference.

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:25 - Feb 19 with 5236 viewspointofblue

I can’t find the original post but I made a similar point, post Wednesday I think, about the difference in experience between their current starting XI and ours. Plymouth have more experience as well. I was going to look at Bolton, Derby and Barnsley but my mind wandered at that point. I do think the relative youth of our side has it’s drawbacks - good for the future but for the present, possibly puts us slightly on the back foot.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:42 - Feb 19 with 5078 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:16 - Feb 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No idea where you get your info from but 3 of the players listed as on loan at SW are permanent players. I’m also quite happy to predict that when this seasons accounts are published next year our wage bill will prove to be higher

It was a team website… they have converted 3 loans to permanent, including two older players

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:44 - Feb 19 with 5048 viewschicoazul

Ah so it’s another couple of seasons we need to wait now is it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:50 - Feb 19 with 4991 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:42 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

It was a team website… they have converted 3 loans to permanent, including two older players

I have no idea what any of that means, but Vaulks, Famweo and Smith were never at Sheffield Wednesday on loan, so I have no idea where you got the idea in your OP that they were on loan from

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:56 - Feb 19 with 4921 viewsBigCommon

It would be no where near catastrophic....
It would be slightly disappointing....
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:59 - Feb 19 with 4900 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:44 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

Errrr no…

“ Failure to make the top two is very disappointing, that was the goal, we have funded the team to a scale that mean it should have been achieved. Illness and injury are valid factors, Camara and Ball and a consistently fit Evans, we’re a different team. Camara was one of Plymouths best performers last term.

I think failure is not making top two, major failure is not having a strong showing in the play-offs.

I never thought we’d finish first, Sheff Weds squad is as I hope I explained have a different squad profile that is far stronger, and pragmatic* their fans (who include my family) haven’t enjoyed much of the football at times..) but they’ve built a resilience and confidence we don’t yet have.

Plymouth as I’ve stated have had a continuity to their project that many just don’t understand.

Anyway the season is far from over, I don’t think we’ll make top two.”

Also chicoazul… on 15:43 - Feb 19 with 4291 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 13:44 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

When you write stuff like this, with regard promotion:

“It will be the greatest failure in the clubs history. Worse than relegation worse than losing to Them in the play offs worse than not winning the league in 81. All that will pale in comparison. The single greatest failure in history.
The club is on a knife edge. What would the future hold?”

Do you think Plymouth, Sheff Weds and Derby are like those training mannequins, that just stand there lifeless? Is the fact that one has a more expensive squad and the other more advanced in their progress just pass you by? “The greatest failure in the clubs history?”

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 15:53 - Feb 19 with 4218 viewsSharkey

The Peterborough team that went up in 2021 and then down again in 2022 was (I think) significantly younger than Town's current bunch. The midfield in particular was young. I think most of us were surprised how badly they struggled in the Championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_Peterborough_United_F.C._season
Also chicoazul… on 16:04 - Feb 19 with 4174 viewsmrfixit426

Also chicoazul… on 15:43 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

When you write stuff like this, with regard promotion:

“It will be the greatest failure in the clubs history. Worse than relegation worse than losing to Them in the play offs worse than not winning the league in 81. All that will pale in comparison. The single greatest failure in history.
The club is on a knife edge. What would the future hold?”

Do you think Plymouth, Sheff Weds and Derby are like those training mannequins, that just stand there lifeless? Is the fact that one has a more expensive squad and the other more advanced in their progress just pass you by? “The greatest failure in the clubs history?”

He has nothing positive to offer. Ever.

People like this revel in the negative. It's just the way some people are. We only have one life and it doesn't last particularly long. I can't imagine wasting it on spreading misery , but there you go.
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 16:19 - Feb 19 with 4055 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 15:53 - Feb 19 by Sharkey

The Peterborough team that went up in 2021 and then down again in 2022 was (I think) significantly younger than Town's current bunch. The midfield in particular was young. I think most of us were surprised how badly they struggled in the Championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_Peterborough_United_F.C._season

You will never win anything with kids.

The truth is we need to get the balance right and develop a good team. If we can improve players that is always a good plan too. Few players improve much past the age of 30.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 16:51 - Feb 19 with 3888 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 16:19 - Feb 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

You will never win anything with kids.

The truth is we need to get the balance right and develop a good team. If we can improve players that is always a good plan too. Few players improve much past the age of 30.

Yes you need some experience to be successful

And I think McKenna was trying that with Ball and Korean being brought in supplement Morsy and Evans

And now Luongo - I think we needed a Luongo type player from the start.

But coming back to the original thread… Town’s transfer strategy will be get seasoned pro out of contract, on-loan. And transfer fees are going to be 19-24… which I fully support. Sheffield We’d will spend 2.2m on a 28 year old. Maybe they’re right?!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 17:03]

Also chicoazul… on 17:01 - Feb 19 with 3830 viewsunstableblue

Also chicoazul… on 16:04 - Feb 19 by mrfixit426

He has nothing positive to offer. Ever.

People like this revel in the negative. It's just the way some people are. We only have one life and it doesn't last particularly long. I can't imagine wasting it on spreading misery , but there you go.

Agreed. Waste of time even engaging.

There are positive people, people who aren’t naturally belligerent, and then there’s some of the types on this board.

Look everyone’s disappointed about the recent run of draws, everyone should question why we look to have missed out on a top two. But look at the wider picture and just don’t be so feckin negative about the situation.

You hear them in the stands… there’s a guy near me… and jeeze people are just rolling their eyes… he hasn’t a clue about football, his moaning is contradictory, and in essence he just enjoys coming and being negative.

Just stay home?!

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 19:04 - Feb 19 with 3434 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 16:51 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

Yes you need some experience to be successful

And I think McKenna was trying that with Ball and Korean being brought in supplement Morsy and Evans

And now Luongo - I think we needed a Luongo type player from the start.

But coming back to the original thread… Town’s transfer strategy will be get seasoned pro out of contract, on-loan. And transfer fees are going to be 19-24… which I fully support. Sheffield We’d will spend 2.2m on a 28 year old. Maybe they’re right?!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 17:03]

What are you going on about? Sheffield Wednesday spent £0 last season and approximately £200k this season - who on earth are the 28 year olds they are paying £2.2m for?

I have no idea why you keep repeating that their squad is more expensively assembled, when that clearly isn’t the case. We have spent more than that on at least 5 individual players this season alone, not to mention last Summers splurge

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 10:15 - Feb 20 with 2422 viewsfallyblue

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 12:29 - Feb 19 by Westcountryblue

Totally agree about Luongo. He still looks about 3-4 games off being fully match fit.

Since Ball's injury, Morsy has looked like a player with a little too much responsibility on his shoulders and has had to do a lot of nastiness that Humphreys perhaps isn't ready to do.

If we can get Luongo fit and hopefully have Camara and Ball available from the beginning of next month, we should start to see the best of our skipper again who'll have more a license to make those driving late runs into the box as he did earlier on in the season. Amazed he has managed to avoid a yellow in the last 2 games and a 2 match suspension.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 12:31]

We really need Morsy to get that booking sooner rather than later so he misses the easier games and not the Bolton, Derby or Barnsley matches. He may have been playing with a bit of restraint as we had no cover for him for the past few weeks
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 02:19 - Feb 21 with 1680 viewshoppy

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 11:30 - Feb 19 by wrightsrightglove

”But they’ve worked out how to get out of this league and built a squad to do just that. It’s great that we’re building for the future but we also need the players to get us into the championship first.”

But, as we are still in February, they’re not there yet, and we don’t know the outcome of our season yet either.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 10:49 - Feb 21 with 1324 viewsElderGrizzly

This was also a last throw of the dice financially for them, with the league threatening sanctions after this season and their owner of dubious levels of resources.
Ipswich team age is rather telling… Luongo exemplar… Sheffield Weds on 12:08 - Feb 21 with 1174 viewsParsley

Personally I like the building for the future approach but the risk with it is what happens if you're not successful? If Town don't get promoted this season then there might be a couple of players tempted away by the Championship. So far it feels like everyone has bought into the 'project' but there probably reaches a point where players have to do what's best for their career. I think most likely candidates for summer interest would be Chaplin and Davis and if for example they were to go then you need to replace them and with new signings there's always an element of risk.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024