Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! 08:50 - Feb 10 with 2348 viewsbrazil1981

Just been named SkyBet Manager of the Month! Maybe next Town Manager?
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:17 - Feb 10 with 2257 viewsMiaow

I’m pleased they seem to have turned things around - although a bad run and they could be right back in it. If they were to go down I’d struggle to see them coming back up. I also hope Southend can get themselves sorted out. Essex not having even one Football League club would be a bit mad.

My dad, despite always being an Ipswich fan, actually went to Layer Road before Portman Road and then watched Colchester quite a lot during the ‘80s. I usually look out for their results, as well as Braintree Town’s. It’s rather sad how some of their fans try to create a (one-sided) rivalry when I think many of us have always looked at them with no disdain. Rob Chandler even read out the Colchester half-time scores until relatively recently.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:28 - Feb 10 with 2196 viewsSharkey

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:17 - Feb 10 by Miaow

I’m pleased they seem to have turned things around - although a bad run and they could be right back in it. If they were to go down I’d struggle to see them coming back up. I also hope Southend can get themselves sorted out. Essex not having even one Football League club would be a bit mad.

My dad, despite always being an Ipswich fan, actually went to Layer Road before Portman Road and then watched Colchester quite a lot during the ‘80s. I usually look out for their results, as well as Braintree Town’s. It’s rather sad how some of their fans try to create a (one-sided) rivalry when I think many of us have always looked at them with no disdain. Rob Chandler even read out the Colchester half-time scores until relatively recently.

Who do you reserve your disdain for?
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:36 - Feb 10 with 2169 viewsdavblue

Turned it around well so far, encouraging signs on the pitch certainly since January. The culture at the club was the biggest challenge. Think there's a few senior players who weren't a great influence on some of the younger players hence they've been either moved on or pushed to the side.

I wonder if we are keeping an eye on Tchamadeu the right back, there was a bid from a Championship club and KVY will probably be on his way out in the summer.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:12 - Feb 10 with 2085 viewsdickie

I can see Matt being a good manager, was really bright in school - one of those annoyingly good at everything kids! Academic, good at sport, good looking, and nice lad as well
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:18 - Feb 10 with 2066 viewsBloomBlue

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:17 - Feb 10 by Miaow

West Ham
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:30 - Feb 10 with 2028 viewsSharkey

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:36 - Feb 10 by davblue

Turned it around well so far, encouraging signs on the pitch certainly since January. The culture at the club was the biggest challenge. Think there's a few senior players who weren't a great influence on some of the younger players hence they've been either moved on or pushed to the side.

I wonder if we are keeping an eye on Tchamadeu the right back, there was a bid from a Championship club and KVY will probably be on his way out in the summer.

Obviously one of the senior players you're talking about is Noublé, and it's a shame that his time at the club has 'ended in tears', because I think he thought he'd finally found a club to call home, and under John McGreal had certainly been a mentor to young players, most notably Kwame Poku, and then Brendan Wiredu. Whether Eastman is at the club next season remains to be seen. He seems to have gone from being 6th-choice centre-back at Colchester to first-choice at Harrogate,.

In the group photo published yesterday to celebrate the MOM award, other notable absentees are Huws and Sears. They may be injured (the photo was taken after training). and the club does not give out much injury news except in the match day program, where the medical people actually provide commendably detailed updates.

Unsurprisingly, Judge isn't in the photo, and in fact isn't listed in the squad that was published this week. But he still shows up to watch every game, and I wouldn't be surprised if the chairman, contrary as he is, says that he should have a new contract if he wants one, since he got crocked playing with total commitment on an icy pitch. (He played every game for Bloomfield until he got injured.)

I note that Matt Bloomfield often praises young players for being 'humble' , and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the word, I must say. I wonder what he would have made of Lomana Lua Lua, for example.

Rumour has it that Luton offered a million+ for Tchamadeu.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 10:34]
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:46 - Feb 10 with 1962 viewsKeno

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:12 - Feb 10 by dickie

I can see Matt being a good manager, was really bright in school - one of those annoyingly good at everything kids! Academic, good at sport, good looking, and nice lad as well

that a burden many of us have to bear, but like Matt, I try to do it with humility and not make too much out of it
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 10:47]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:48 - Feb 10 with 1937 viewsdavblue

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:30 - Feb 10 by Sharkey

Obviously one of the senior players you're talking about is Noublé, and it's a shame that his time at the club has 'ended in tears', because I think he thought he'd finally found a club to call home, and under John McGreal had certainly been a mentor to young players, most notably Kwame Poku, and then Brendan Wiredu. Whether Eastman is at the club next season remains to be seen. He seems to have gone from being 6th-choice centre-back at Colchester to first-choice at Harrogate,.

In the group photo published yesterday to celebrate the MOM award, other notable absentees are Huws and Sears. They may be injured (the photo was taken after training). and the club does not give out much injury news except in the match day program, where the medical people actually provide commendably detailed updates.

Unsurprisingly, Judge isn't in the photo, and in fact isn't listed in the squad that was published this week. But he still shows up to watch every game, and I wouldn't be surprised if the chairman, contrary as he is, says that he should have a new contract if he wants one, since he got crocked playing with total commitment on an icy pitch. (He played every game for Bloomfield until he got injured.)

I note that Matt Bloomfield often praises young players for being 'humble' , and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the word, I must say. I wonder what he would have made of Lomana Lua Lua, for example.

Rumour has it that Luton offered a million+ for Tchamadeu.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 10:34]

What does Nouble give though? He's not a goal scorer, not great at holding up the ball. If you haven't got that as a striker in a role as a target man you aren't going to be much use.

I can't see how Eastman is there next year, he's not played for Bloomfield and was sent out on loan.

Sears i can't see him being there either. Judge will be a hard one, as you say he injured himself playing for the club and Colchester have to look after him, whether he gets a new contract, they might give him a 6 month one until he's back and see how he is then extend it until the end of the season but i would be surprised if they give him a full year straight off the bat.
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:59 - Feb 10 with 1834 viewsSharkey

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:48 - Feb 10 by davblue

What does Nouble give though? He's not a goal scorer, not great at holding up the ball. If you haven't got that as a striker in a role as a target man you aren't going to be much use.

I can't see how Eastman is there next year, he's not played for Bloomfield and was sent out on loan.

Sears i can't see him being there either. Judge will be a hard one, as you say he injured himself playing for the club and Colchester have to look after him, whether he gets a new contract, they might give him a 6 month one until he's back and see how he is then extend it until the end of the season but i would be surprised if they give him a full year straight off the bat.

I don't disagree about Noublé's contribution. I'm just sorry he leaves under such a cloud.

I doubt Eastman will come back, but he's very much from these parts. Colchester play with three centre halves, so probably need five. If Smith leaves, then there would maybe be room for Eastman, but I agree that it seems that Bloomfield has not taken to him at all. (McGreal loved him, and improved him hugely.)

Sears was at least on the bench until a week or two ago ( and is always the first player to turn up for a home game!) Personally I'd still have him in or around the team and can't see that the window brought any upgrades, but he'll surely be off at the end of the season , if not to the National League before then.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:08 - Feb 10 with 1781 viewsMiaow

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 09:28 - Feb 10 by Sharkey

Who do you reserve your disdain for?

Norwich and West Ham, mostly.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:10 - Feb 10 with 1774 viewsdavblue

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:59 - Feb 10 by Sharkey

I don't disagree about Noublé's contribution. I'm just sorry he leaves under such a cloud.

I doubt Eastman will come back, but he's very much from these parts. Colchester play with three centre halves, so probably need five. If Smith leaves, then there would maybe be room for Eastman, but I agree that it seems that Bloomfield has not taken to him at all. (McGreal loved him, and improved him hugely.)

Sears was at least on the bench until a week or two ago ( and is always the first player to turn up for a home game!) Personally I'd still have him in or around the team and can't see that the window brought any upgrades, but he'll surely be off at the end of the season , if not to the National League before then.

sometimes it's not the player but a refresh of personnel to get the dressing room on edge.

Chambers is 37, Smith 33 next month, Eastman is 31. the lads they got in are a few years younger so i can see why that decision was made plus is Eastman at Chambers and Smith's level, probably not.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:13 - Feb 10 with 1753 viewsmrfixit426

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:12 - Feb 10 by dickie

I used to coach Matt when he was a "yoof" so I'm naturally going to take full credit, until it all falls apart.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:27 - Feb 10 with 1703 viewsSharkey

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:10 - Feb 10 by davblue

sometimes it's not the player but a refresh of personnel to get the dressing room on edge.

Chambers is 37, Smith 33 next month, Eastman is 31. the lads they got in are a few years younger so i can see why that decision was made plus is Eastman at Chambers and Smith's level, probably not.

Yes, - and it's certainly a major statement to exile someone who's played 400 games for the club and been POTY a record number of times and who has always been perceived as an affable character . Decisive management, certainly.

You'd struggle to find any Colchester fans who think Smith is better than Eastman. (For some of us older supporters, this is partly (and unfairly) coloured by Smith's first stint for the club, on loan as a young player, when he was comically bad.) But I do know that Smith is very well liked around the club.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:45 - Feb 10 with 1628 viewssolemio

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 10:46 - Feb 10 by Keno

that a burden many of us have to bear, but like Matt, I try to do it with humility and not make too much out of it
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 10:47]

I shall have to revise my view in the light of your information.

I'd always thought of you as thick as two short planks, ugly, a sporting incompetent and as good looking as rugby international of the '60s Fran Cotton.

I've clearly slightly under-estimated you. {I would say tic, except that I look less than my usual god-like self with my tongue in my cheek.}
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:58 - Feb 10 with 1576 viewsitfcjoe

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:27 - Feb 10 by Sharkey

Yes, - and it's certainly a major statement to exile someone who's played 400 games for the club and been POTY a record number of times and who has always been perceived as an affable character . Decisive management, certainly.

You'd struggle to find any Colchester fans who think Smith is better than Eastman. (For some of us older supporters, this is partly (and unfairly) coloured by Smith's first stint for the club, on loan as a young player, when he was comically bad.) But I do know that Smith is very well liked around the club.

I had to buy 22 tickets for the Col U v Stockport game yesterday as is getting the time of year where Chambers thinks he will be retired as opposed to choosing to do so! I think he is very much hoping that isn't the case as is enjoying working under Bloomfield and still seems to be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Colchester have needed a good refresh, and made some very good signings in January of players who should be around their prime age opposed to being very old or very young which has helped - and who knew that appointing someone from outside the club may help things with a fresh pair of eyes.

A big shame to see Eastman out on his ear so to speak after such great service, hopefully he can get something sorted which means he doesn't have to totally relocate next season but writing appears to be on the wall. Looks like Smith's days are numbered as well despite being club captain from looking at team sheets and signings which I know he'll be devastated about as really cares about the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:59 - Feb 10 with 1564 viewsKeno

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:45 - Feb 10 by solemio

I shall have to revise my view in the light of your information.

I'd always thought of you as thick as two short planks, ugly, a sporting incompetent and as good looking as rugby international of the '60s Fran Cotton.

I've clearly slightly under-estimated you. {I would say tic, except that I look less than my usual god-like self with my tongue in my cheek.}

"I'd always thought of you as thick as two short planks, ugly, a sporting incompetent and as good looking as rugby international of the '60s Fran Cotton"

in fairness I'd take that

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 12:32 - Feb 10 with 1456 viewsmarvellous

We're obviously from the same area and are the same/similar age. I used to sit next to Matt in maths and played football with him at TRD.

I really wish him the best in his management career.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 12:51 - Feb 10 with 1335 viewsdavblue

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 11:58 - Feb 10 by itfcjoe

I had to buy 22 tickets for the Col U v Stockport game yesterday as is getting the time of year where Chambers thinks he will be retired as opposed to choosing to do so! I think he is very much hoping that isn't the case as is enjoying working under Bloomfield and still seems to be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Colchester have needed a good refresh, and made some very good signings in January of players who should be around their prime age opposed to being very old or very young which has helped - and who knew that appointing someone from outside the club may help things with a fresh pair of eyes.

A big shame to see Eastman out on his ear so to speak after such great service, hopefully he can get something sorted which means he doesn't have to totally relocate next season but writing appears to be on the wall. Looks like Smith's days are numbered as well despite being club captain from looking at team sheets and signings which I know he'll be devastated about as really cares about the club

Will be interesting to see if Chambers and Skuse get new deals as they have been mainstays in the team and Matt has been in a club we’re older players have been appreciated and valued and looked after physically.

I did wonder when Matt was appointed wether they had their noses put out of joint, a manager who had never managed before and hadn’t reached the levels they had in their careers coming in and telling them what to do.

On the flip side I think Matt has a good reputation in the game which probably helped.
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 13:00 - Feb 10 with 1267 viewsDecageBruce

I knew him and his family very well when we were kids and played with him at TRD (he played above his age) and also his Bro Danny.

Really nice family, well grounded and I have followed his career and still speak to some of the family. I know Ipswich is still in his heart and he has major ties to the area so who knows what the future might bring.

He has studied the coaching side and the media side when deciding what to do post playing and I'm sure he will have success and drive in whatever way he moves forward
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 13:02 - Feb 10 with 1246 viewsitfcjoe

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 12:51 - Feb 10 by davblue

Will be interesting to see if Chambers and Skuse get new deals as they have been mainstays in the team and Matt has been in a club we’re older players have been appreciated and valued and looked after physically.

I did wonder when Matt was appointed wether they had their noses put out of joint, a manager who had never managed before and hadn’t reached the levels they had in their careers coming in and telling them what to do.

On the flip side I think Matt has a good reputation in the game which probably helped.

I think players like managers if they are being picked and the team is performing well, and tend not to like them if they are. Think it may have been tougher as both are good friends with Wayne Brown but guess in football you just have to learn to totally compartmentalise eveything!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 14:21 - Feb 10 with 1037 viewsdickie

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 12:32 - Feb 10 by marvellous

We're obviously from the same area and are the same/similar age. I used to sit next to Matt in maths and played football with him at TRD.

I really wish him the best in his management career.

Then you and I attended the same school and are the same age I'd guess! I used live down the road from Matt and we practiced our violins together in primary school 😂
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 16:05]
Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 14:54 - Feb 10 with 941 viewsSharkey

Matt Bloomfield quickly turning things around at Col Utd! on 13:02 - Feb 10 by itfcjoe

I think players like managers if they are being picked and the team is performing well, and tend not to like them if they are. Think it may have been tougher as both are good friends with Wayne Brown but guess in football you just have to learn to totally compartmentalise eveything!

Tomorrow they're up against Paul Hurst (Grimsby). I wonder if they've all 'moved on'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024