Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let's put this stat off to bed 18:21 - Jan 17 with 7671 viewsTalkingBlues

On Matchday 21, December 10th v Peterborough (2-1 win) we were top of the table, 1 point ahead of Plymouth and 3 points ahead of Wednesday, having all played the same number of games.

By Matchday 27, January 14th v Plymouth (1-1 draw) we are in 3rd place, 7 points behind Plymouth and 4 points behind Wednesday, having played 1 game less than Plymouth and same as Wednesday.

I'm getting pretty fed up of people criticising those that make comment on our extremely disappointing recent run of games, we have given away a HUGE amount of ground on our 2 main rivals and there's nothing wrong with bemoaning the fact and commenting on how we might improve our situation.

I don't care what way you slice it, for a couple of months, we have been well, well below the performance levels required to be in contention for the automatic promotion places come the end of the season and it has been a progressive decline, with no sign of reversing as yet, perhaps the new signings may help the impetus?

Any of you about to give the "20 games to go" malarkey, well, you said that before at 35, 30, 25, at what point do we stop using that excuse? 10 games? 5? forget the games to go nonsense, we need to see improvement on the pitch, NOW.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 18:32]

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:27 - Jan 17 with 3963 viewsbobbyramsey

Town and Sheff Weds have a game in hand on Plymouth……

But I share your concerns.
Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:27 - Jan 17 with 3969 viewstractor_lady

Haven’t we played one less than Plymouth?
Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:32 - Jan 17 with 3897 viewsTalkingBlues

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:27 - Jan 17 by bobbyramsey

Town and Sheff Weds have a game in hand on Plymouth……

But I share your concerns.

*edited

was looking at wrong matchday

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:33 - Jan 17 with 3896 viewsHerbivore

Think this bit is over the top: "we have been well, well below the performance levels required to be in contention for the automatic promotion places come the end of the season".

Performances have largely been decent, probably the only game we've not dominated was against Plymouth at the weekend where we got a draw that was about right on the balance of play. Results clearly haven't been good enough over that time, for a few reasons, but the performances have been very much what you'd expect from an automatic promotion contender.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:35 - Jan 17 with 3867 viewsDubtractor

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:33 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

Think this bit is over the top: "we have been well, well below the performance levels required to be in contention for the automatic promotion places come the end of the season".

Performances have largely been decent, probably the only game we've not dominated was against Plymouth at the weekend where we got a draw that was about right on the balance of play. Results clearly haven't been good enough over that time, for a few reasons, but the performances have been very much what you'd expect from an automatic promotion contender.

Also, I'm fairly sure no one is denying we've had a disappointing run of results, and that we need to improve, it's just that not everyone is sh1tting the bed about it.

edit: Also, the fact that the points can move that significantly over 5 games should reassure people that we can claw back the deficit in the next 20.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 18:37]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:37 - Jan 17 with 3854 viewsTalkingBlues

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:33 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

We have dominated virtually every game this season from a possession perspective, our issue has been getting 3 points at the end of that dominance.

It doesn't matter where our stats sit against most of the table, they're not in the running, but we are failing miserably against the teams where it does count.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:37 - Jan 17 with 3840 viewsHerbivore

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:35 - Jan 17 by Dubtractor

Also, I'm fairly sure no one is denying we've had a disappointing run of results, and that we need to improve, it's just that not everyone is sh1tting the bed about it.

edit: Also, the fact that the points can move that significantly over 5 games should reassure people that we can claw back the deficit in the next 20.

Well indeed. I'm having a wobble myself to be fair but I can still see there's plenty of positives and that we're still well in this.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:38 - Jan 17 with 3855 viewshomer_123

I see no issue with discussing the merits of our current form.

My issue lies with those that are so negative, as if the season is over. Or are coming at it as if we are about to be relegated.

Football is fine margins and our current form is marginally the wrong side of the line.

The wheels haven't come off, we are not suddenly being stuffed by teams.

In fact, in the space of a week. We've beaten a championship team in a Cup we haven't played well in for God knows how long....with a reserve XI and drawn against the league leaders.

How I see it is that most posters are objective and can see that whilst current form isn't great...its not needing a major overhaul. As I say fine margins.

However, some posters appear to not want to accept this and seem only to see any and all negatives even if they are not there.

For some the season appears over. Which it most certainly isn't.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 18:40]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:39 - Jan 17 with 3835 viewsTalkingBlues

I can tell you there's not a board of a football club in the land, or indeed manager, that would look at the numbers presented and think they're ok, they'd be very worried that the train is coming off the rails and they'd be right to think that.

*edit response - ah, the good old "20 games to go" routine
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 18:56]

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:41 - Jan 17 with 3813 viewsHerbivore

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:37 - Jan 17 by TalkingBlues

We have dominated virtually every game this season from a possession perspective, our issue has been getting 3 points at the end of that dominance.

It doesn't matter where our stats sit against most of the table, they're not in the running, but we are failing miserably against the teams where it does count.

Failing miserably? We were a deflection away from beating Plymouth and we're continuing to dominate almost every game. Bad luck and bad decisions and execution in the final third have been costing us but we are nowhere near as far off performance wise as you are making out.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:43 - Jan 17 with 3802 viewshomer_123

THIS.....'failing miserably' ... how the feck do you see it that way?

What are you expecting exactly?

Genuinely mystified by that comment.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 18:44]

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:46 - Jan 17 with 3784 viewsTalkingBlues

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:43 - Jan 17 by homer_123

We have conceded 8 points to Plymouth and 7 to Wednesday in a handful of games, in what way are we not failing miserably to keep ourselves in contention with them?

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:47 - Jan 17 with 3770 viewsDubtractor

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:43 - Jan 17 by homer_123

It is nonsensical hyperbole, and to be blunt it is fooking boring.

Are the present results good enough? No.

Are we a million miles off? Also no.

Are we failing miserably? Get in the bin you fool.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:49 - Jan 17 with 3750 viewshomer_123

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:46 - Jan 17 by TalkingBlues

We have conceded 8 points to Plymouth and 7 to Wednesday in a handful of games, in what way are we not failing miserably to keep ourselves in contention with them?

4pts from second. But I suspect you won't like that.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:51 - Jan 17 with 3732 viewshomer_123

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:47 - Jan 17 by Dubtractor

It is nonsensical hyperbole, and to be blunt it is fooking boring.

Are the present results good enough? No.

Are we a million miles off? Also no.

Are we failing miserably? Get in the bin you fool.

I just don't get it. No one is denying we are not at the level we were but ruddy hell....its absurd.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:52 - Jan 17 with 3733 viewsbackwaywhen

Let’s put this to bed when we have played every team at home and every team away , then and only then will all become crystal clear !
COYBs
Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:52 - Jan 17 with 3728 viewsTalkingBlues

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:49 - Jan 17 by homer_123

4pts from second. But I suspect you won't like that.

To a team that were 3 points behind us a handful of games ago, that turnaround is astonishing by any standards, let alone the 8 points to Plymouth in the same period.

If you're not concerned, you should be, there's been some very loud alarm bells ringing for a while.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 3716 viewsNutkins_Return

This 100%. People love getting angry that some people aren't panicking and being cross!

We can be frustrated without throwing toys out the pram.

Also what exactly is to be gained by everyone having to share worry and anger about results?
Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 3720 viewsGavTWTD

" We have dominated virtually every game this season from a possession perspective, our issue has been getting 3 points at the end of that dominance. "

So... we've bought two players that will hopefully add a few goals to the team. The manager is being backed this window but the new players will need a few matches to get used to their new system. The window isn't closed either.

I'm looking forward to each match now where I was dreading them before.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 3705 viewshomer_123

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:52 - Jan 17 by TalkingBlues

To a team that were 3 points behind us a handful of games ago, that turnaround is astonishing by any standards, let alone the 8 points to Plymouth in the same period.

If you're not concerned, you should be, there's been some very loud alarm bells ringing for a while.

So...what you are saying is a 4pt gap is easy to overhaul.

Excellent...that's more like it.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:59 - Jan 17 with 3607 viewsTalkingBlues

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:54 - Jan 17 by GavTWTD

" We have dominated virtually every game this season from a possession perspective, our issue has been getting 3 points at the end of that dominance. "

So... we've bought two players that will hopefully add a few goals to the team. The manager is being backed this window but the new players will need a few matches to get used to their new system. The window isn't closed either.

I'm looking forward to each match now where I was dreading them before.

As I said before, hopefully the new signings can make a change and add impetus, but equally they could be massive flops, we don't know yet. To not be concerned about how much ground we've lost so quickly, against our 2 biggest rivals in the division, is the unusual bit, not the other way around.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:06 - Jan 17 with 3533 viewshomer_123

Let's put this stat off to bed on 18:59 - Jan 17 by TalkingBlues

As I said before, hopefully the new signings can make a change and add impetus, but equally they could be massive flops, we don't know yet. To not be concerned about how much ground we've lost so quickly, against our 2 biggest rivals in the division, is the unusual bit, not the other way around.

Again...the negativity.

Could add impetus or could be massive flops. Hardly balanced.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:07 - Jan 17 with 3517 viewsTalkingBlues

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:06 - Jan 17 by homer_123

Again...the negativity.

It’s completely balanced, they could go either way, or they could be no better than what we’ve got, it’s an unknown quantity, the only thing we do know for certain, is that we’ve lost a huge amount of ground to our 2 biggest rivals in a very short space of time and it concerns me, as it should.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:08 - Jan 17 with 3504 viewshomer_123

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:07 - Jan 17 by TalkingBlues

It’s completely balanced, they could go either way, or they could be no better than what we’ve got, it’s an unknown quantity, the only thing we do know for certain, is that we’ve lost a huge amount of ground to our 2 biggest rivals in a very short space of time and it concerns me, as it should.

It isn't...look at the language and terminology you used.

Add impetus vs Flops

That is not balanced.

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:09 - Jan 17 with 3504 viewsDubtractor

Let's put this stat off to bed on 19:06 - Jan 17 by homer_123

Again...the negativity.

These people thrive on it Homer.

Everything is a disaster, a catastrophe, the world is ending.

Just tedious, and drowns out the sensible debate on our results, which we all admit haven't been good enough in the the last month.

But EVERY team goes through spell with poor results - take last season when both Rotherham and Wigan both had a terrible run at the end of the season over 5 or 6 games, when they nearly let MK Dons overtake them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024