Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... 09:28 - Jan 17 with 5789 viewsOriginalMarkyP

How are people genuinely feeling?

Personally, bizarrely for me...I'm still quietly confident.

I can't help thinking if this is a our 'dip' then it's not that terrible a dip.

I'd argue Plymouth and Sheff Wed will have their's too.

I think we start a winning run now and we'll reel them in.

But what's everyone else think?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 16:02 - Jan 17 with 1312 viewsOsborneOneNil

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 15:59 - Jan 17 by MattinLondon

They still have to play Sheff W, Peterborough and Barnsley away from home with Derby at home. There’s a lot still to play for. And they won’t win all of their other matches.

I agree on that. What I am slightly nervous about is our ability to get on another run.

I'm sure we can, but it's been a while since we won 3 on the spin.
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 16:07 - Jan 17 with 1295 viewsChurchman

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 10:14 - Jan 17 by leftback

I’m generally the most positive supporter, in fact some would call me a happy clapper! But not just Saturday but our form over the last month has screwed it up for us, can’t see us beating Oxford at weekend and fully expect Plymouth and Sheff We’d to win their games, the gap then will be far to great for us to overturn. There’s always a team that fades in 2nd half of season…….it’s us 🥲

Sadly, while we may scrape by Oxford, I agree with the rest of your post. I thought we would be the strongest of the three, but we are the weakest and are falling away. Plymouth and SW have that confidence, that bottle to get results week in week out. We don’t. Ten games where we have had a lot of the play and have won just three. Panic and collapse against far too many sides in crucial moments. Teams know how to play us.

There are no excuses. I thought we were going to be top two, but we are well short. Quite why we are short, I don’t know. Maybe Hirst will make a difference, but I really can’t see us winning more games than the teams above in what remains of the season.

Fortunately, I’m usually wrong and hopefully we will go on a winning run. There a lot of games to play.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 16:09]
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 16:20 - Jan 17 with 1269 viewspositivity

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 16:02 - Jan 17 by OsborneOneNil

I agree on that. What I am slightly nervous about is our ability to get on another run.

I'm sure we can, but it's been a while since we won 3 on the spin.

we hven't won since we last played oxford.

we haven't won 3 in a row since we last played cambridge and morecambe (and pompey)

it's not impossible; we don't play plymouth or even a wycombe every week in this league

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 17:19 - Jan 17 with 1231 viewsWestSussexBlue

I actually felt physically unwell as the equaliser went in late on Saturday and it changed my mood for the weekend.
I’m not a believer in every team has a blip and so Plymouth or Wednesday or both are due a bad run.
One thing I do know after years of following football is that freak things and results will continue to happen to them and certainly us before the season comes to its conclusion. More points will be dropped and the lower sides will have a big say as they scrap for their lives.
That said we are more than a match for the Two sides above us and have already brought in some serious quality this window to bolster the challenge.
I’ve a feeling with Plymouth’s run in they will take top spot, if we can stay within Four points of Wednesday going in to mid March then we will go up as runners up. Beating them next month is crucial.
If it was to be the play offs, then I can honestly say I think we’ll have enough quality to go up that way. I don’t for one minute think Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Wycombe or Peterborough would do us over Two legs and and a Wembley final against any of those wouldn’t concern me.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 17:28]
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 17:35 - Jan 17 with 1214 viewsLeoMuff

Remarkably I felt calm and resigned to Saturday when it happened, mostly as it has been a frequent occurrence.

I don’t think much can top Charlton, I really did feel unwell after that for a few hours, dread think what the old blood pressure was

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 18:10 - Jan 17 with 1190 viewsTractorWood

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 17:19 - Jan 17 by WestSussexBlue

I actually felt physically unwell as the equaliser went in late on Saturday and it changed my mood for the weekend.
I’m not a believer in every team has a blip and so Plymouth or Wednesday or both are due a bad run.
One thing I do know after years of following football is that freak things and results will continue to happen to them and certainly us before the season comes to its conclusion. More points will be dropped and the lower sides will have a big say as they scrap for their lives.
That said we are more than a match for the Two sides above us and have already brought in some serious quality this window to bolster the challenge.
I’ve a feeling with Plymouth’s run in they will take top spot, if we can stay within Four points of Wednesday going in to mid March then we will go up as runners up. Beating them next month is crucial.
If it was to be the play offs, then I can honestly say I think we’ll have enough quality to go up that way. I don’t for one minute think Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Wycombe or Peterborough would do us over Two legs and and a Wembley final against any of those wouldn’t concern me.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 17:28]

I think it's playoffs now as a default. If we beat Wednesday, who are seemingly on fire, I could be persuaded to be a bit more positive.

Plymouth will take enormous confidence from Saturday. Not just the late equaliser that adds momentum, but the wider performance which, was pretty excellent given the crowd and occasion.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 18:20 - Jan 17 with 1169 viewsmarcus1642

We need 45 points. We won't get them. My prediction is a grand total of 88 points and the dreaded playoffs.
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 1140 viewsDavoIPB

Was gutted and annoyed by Saturday straight after game. Now more upbeat. Feeling positive about the club. The play and let's be honest league position have hugely improved since last season. The level of football for a league one match was brilliant.
Login to get fewer ads

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 19:05 - Jan 17 with 1147 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I’d feel less gutted if we hadnt dropped points against the likes of Cheltenham Fleetwood Charlton and Lincoln.

It’s inevitable during the course of the season that we are going to fail to hold on to leads, but people are rightly concerned when that appears to become a habit.

Poll: Our final position

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 19:53 - Jan 17 with 1116 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Still pretty positive but I have this nagging doubt that has been growing over the past few weeks. If it is indeed a 3 horse race I would fancy our chances. But Derby and Barnsley are going well at the moment. It it ends up that 4 or 5 teams are fighting for automatic I think it will be a it more of a lottery and you would fancy one of the teams relegated last year to take one of the automatics leaving us fighting for the remaining place.
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 20:57 - Jan 17 with 1070 viewsTalkingBlues

Feel the same, it’s game we had to win and we didn’t.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 22:39 - Jan 17 with 1025 viewsWestSussexBlue

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 20:57 - Jan 17 by TalkingBlues

Feel the same, it’s game we had to win and we didn’t.

We didn’t have to win it. We have to finish top or second to achieve our main objective this season.
It’s mid January and we’re 7 points from top spot with a game in hand.
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 23:03 - Jan 17 with 1015 viewsskinnybob72

An interesting couple of stats that I read are that Plymouth have conceded almost the same number of 'late' goals as we have (we've conceded one more than them after Saturday) and they have also dropped almost as many points as us from a winning position.

The problem for us is that 7/13 points we have dropped from a winning position were against Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday!

The reason we are not closer to those teams is largely down to drawing so many home games, a large number of which we were winning in - Barnsley, Cheltenham, Fleetwood and Plymouth. Start winning more regularly at home in the second half of the season and we will be much closer to top 2.
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 21:16 - Jan 18 with 879 viewsPioneerBlue

We still need 42+ points in 20 games which is the same total we massed over the first 20 league games. There is nothing to say we can’t do that or better. I appreciate the current form doesn’t point to that kind of form however recent form is blighted by injury and illness both of which are clearing up and we have reinforcements.

Upper towen.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 23:54 - Jan 18 with 810 viewsjonbull88

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 22:39 - Jan 17 by WestSussexBlue

We didn’t have to win it. We have to finish top or second to achieve our main objective this season.
It’s mid January and we’re 7 points from top spot with a game in hand.

I believe it was a must win as well. We are in bang average form atm. 6 draws in the last 10 underlines this. We look nervous, and I have to admit until we scored I couldn’t see us doing so. Sheffield are in a rich vein of form, keeping clean sheets and Plymouth have a 7 point lead on us ( yes we have a game in hand, but we’ve got to win it first!).

For a team that is so dominate we are very wasteful and it’s starting to bite us on the arse big time. Like has been mentioned before, when we score, we never usually look like grabbing the game by the scruff and adding 2 or 3 more.

We’ll be in the mix, I hope top 2, however imo we need to be looking at 5-6 wins in the next 6-7 games, 1 of which is vs Wednesday!
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 03:30 - Jan 19 with 740 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I still think we will go up. And I still think we were the better team on Saturday but that a draw was fair.

I’m just sick that I’ve walked out of the ground now about 6 times this season thinking we’ve either been very unlucky or very naive to throw away 2 points.

This week I felt it was unlucky. It’s deflected in the top corner.
Charlton was naive.
Fleetwood was a mix of both.
Sheffield Wednesday was naive to not handle the situation when they made it 2-1.

That’s just four off the top of my head. And I know there’s been others where we’ve conceded late gutwrenching goals.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 3:31]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 05:02 - Jan 19 with 707 viewsTractorWood

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 03:30 - Jan 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I still think we will go up. And I still think we were the better team on Saturday but that a draw was fair.

I’m just sick that I’ve walked out of the ground now about 6 times this season thinking we’ve either been very unlucky or very naive to throw away 2 points.

This week I felt it was unlucky. It’s deflected in the top corner.
Charlton was naive.
Fleetwood was a mix of both.
Sheffield Wednesday was naive to not handle the situation when they made it 2-1.

That’s just four off the top of my head. And I know there’s been others where we’ve conceded late gutwrenching goals.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 3:31]

They did miss a sitter though, Rommers.

Fair result in my book.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 09:11 - Jan 19 with 631 viewsjayessess

Mixed feelings really.

Still think we're good enough to win enough games to top this division and that we'd be top if we'd had a fairly normal share of random variables go our way. I also think it's ridiculous to say you "can't see us beating Oxford" when we brushed them aside pretty easily just 3 weeks ago! Four points is also a gap that can almost disappear in a weekend.

But... concerned at how regularly we allow dominance of possession, territory, shot count, big chances, to turn into 1 point. Concerned that over the past 3 games we've put ourselves into a position where we've now no room for error.

I think the next 9 games will be telling. Plymouth turned around their blip by taking advantage of a comfy run of fixtures. Well, we've got three relatively comfy ones, then 2 tricky ones, then 4 more easier ones. By the end of that lot we'll need to have caught up with 2nd at the very least.

Issue is, it's very easy for those sorts of games to go wrong. Bad refereeing decisions, opposition scoring with their only chance, mad deflections, goalkeeping good days/bad days, finishing off-days etc. etc. and there's absolutely no slack for that to happen.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 9:16]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 09:36 - Jan 19 with 613 viewsHarlestonblue

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 10:06 - Jan 17 by unstableblue

I thought the atmosphere, passion and occasion - the sheer scale of 29k+ fans back in Portman Road - showed how far we’ve come as a club and should be celebrated.

I’m still annoyed on 4 counts:
- the players got overwhelmed by the occasion and were error strewn for the first 20-30mins, Donacien particularly bad, I thought we’d fixed this against Derby/ Pompey
- Harness and Morsy take their chances and we perhaps win
- We sat deep, not helped by the subs and allowed pressure
- Both Humphreys and Burgess could have done better to close the runner and prevent the shot

But how do I feel - upbeat, loving this season, but fully aware that we are up against two very strong teams, one with a very good squad, the other further along in their project. And indeed we didn’t lose Saturday and if they’d scored that sitter perhaps they’d have won.

Will they falter and allow us to capilitise? I’m not so sure. But our two new signings are game changers and we just need to get that run going to put pressure back up.

Very excited to see Broadhead and what he can do.

We need a minimum of 7 points from next 3 league games… then we’ll try again to manage the big occasion against the Owls. Another Huge game in a memorable season.

Am I enjoying going to PR again - too right!

Well said. I agree with most of this.
Re: Sheffield Wednesday, I looked at their line up on Saturday away at Wycombe. No Bannan, injured, no McGuiness, recalled and no Ihiekwe, injured, no Heneghan, injured.
On top of that Byers was carried off!
In spite of this they continue their relentless run of form by winning at Wycombe. I am still waiting for them to falter. Perhaps their blip will start at Portman Road.
Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 09:44 - Jan 19 with 610 viewsjayessess

Now the dust has settled from Saturday... on 09:36 - Jan 19 by Harlestonblue

Well said. I agree with most of this.
Re: Sheffield Wednesday, I looked at their line up on Saturday away at Wycombe. No Bannan, injured, no McGuiness, recalled and no Ihiekwe, injured, no Heneghan, injured.
On top of that Byers was carried off!
In spite of this they continue their relentless run of form by winning at Wycombe. I am still waiting for them to falter. Perhaps their blip will start at Portman Road.

Wednesday have that absolute key to promotion success - a stingy defensive unit.
Concede fewer than 40 goals in a season and you're basically guaranteed to go up.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024