Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EV Company Car advice 15:17 - Dec 20 with 4234 viewsEly_Blue

It’s that time again when the company car is up for renewal, the company have changed providers to Arval from Lex and we appear to now have several EV options available that weren’t around previously.

Nothing too exciting on the list and most of the mid range 60kw battery cars are there in the £42k & under bracket, even at £10 P11d value higher than my current BMW X2 the tax savings are huge, currently paying £340 a month which is 31% BIK, on a £40k EV with 2% BIK tax that takes over £250 a month off my tax bill.

I’ve been looking at a few of the models on the list and wonder if anyone has any experience of these

- Skoda Enyaq Iv60
- VW id4 - not overly sold on this based on the online reviews
- Kia Niro EV 4
- Hyundai ionic 5

Thanks

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

EV Company Car advice on 16:05 - Dec 20 with 3384 viewsPendejo

Out of that list I'd go for Enyaq.

I have driven all of them and think Enyaq is the most car like in terms of space and comfort

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

EV Company Car advice on 16:22 - Dec 20 with 3340 viewsvilanovablue

I've got the MG4 on order just the basic one but they do a full spec one although they are all well kitted out. A surprisingly decent drive. The are also surprisingly cheap for an EV.
EV Company Car advice on 16:49 - Dec 20 with 3294 viewsEly_Blue

EV Company Car advice on 16:05 - Dec 20 by Pendejo

Out of that list I'd go for Enyaq.

I have driven all of them and think Enyaq is the most car like in terms of space and comfort

Thanks, from all of the reviews I’ve seen it’s the one that is appealing the most at the moment, my only concern is the range of 225-230miles on the iv60 which is the one on the list, given it’s a 200 mile each way trip to Ipswich on match days that means a stop en route for a rapid charge in both directions

EV Company Car advice on 17:07 - Dec 20 with 3253 viewsronnyd

EV Company Car advice on 16:49 - Dec 20 by Ely_Blue

Thanks, from all of the reviews I’ve seen it’s the one that is appealing the most at the moment, my only concern is the range of 225-230miles on the iv60 which is the one on the list, given it’s a 200 mile each way trip to Ipswich on match days that means a stop en route for a rapid charge in both directions

If you're doing long journeys, it could be the charging infrastructure that would let you down.
EV Company Car advice on 17:33 - Dec 20 with 3183 viewsblue62

Not got one but I do like the look of the Ionic 5 over the others and it comes out higher in the Top Gear ratings.
EV Company Car advice on 18:00 - Dec 20 with 3120 viewsDeano69

Have you checked delivery times? May impact your choice...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

EV Company Car advice on 19:40 - Dec 20 with 2989 viewsLeithblue

Did the same a few months ago Ely Blue, as you say the tax savings on a company scheme are huge plus of course the environmental benefits. My shortlist was pretty much the same as yours - Enyaq, Ioniq 5, Kia EV6. After test driving all three and reading loads of reviews we went for Ioniq 5 based on range, acceleration, fast charging, interior space and the quirky futuristic design. Would agree that the Enyaq is most similar to a traditional car though. Also agree that delivery times are worth checking as our Ioniq has been pushed back from December to April 23, and the others would have been even worse
EV Company Car advice on 19:44 - Dec 20 with 2980 viewsmarvellous

Personally, I'd stay away from anything from VAG due to the many documented issues with build quality and software. I know they've been mostly surrounding the VW ID models but I doubt their budget brand, Skoda, will fair much better. I know you won't be picking up the bill but being picked up by the RAC isn't much fun either.

Of those I'd go for the Hyundai because it looks like a spaceship!
Login to get fewer ads

EV Company Car advice on 20:06 - Dec 20 with 2965 viewsNBVJohn

I am sorry to tell you this but it’s not the list of cars that will be the problem it will be Lex unfortunately.

They have been the supplier to the company I work for for a number of years and they’re beyond awful.

Long before the pandemic they consistently over promised and under delivered, and they only seem to get worse.

Sorry.
EV Company Car advice on 20:35 - Dec 20 with 2929 viewsipswich78

Depends on your age and what you're looking for in a car... The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is a very retro looking, but cool car. It's also a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures. I was in a similar situation and was about to go for one then it disappeared from my company car list! Very annoying.

My second choice from your list below would be the Enyaq. A really nice sized and looking car. Reviews very well as well.

One thing to note, is take into consideration range / charging speed etc.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

EV Company Car advice on 21:04 - Dec 20 with 2889 viewsEly_Blue

EV Company Car advice on 20:06 - Dec 20 by NBVJohn

I am sorry to tell you this but it’s not the list of cars that will be the problem it will be Lex unfortunately.

They have been the supplier to the company I work for for a number of years and they’re beyond awful.

Long before the pandemic they consistently over promised and under delivered, and they only seem to get worse.

Sorry.

Moved away from Lex and now it’s Arval for the new car

EV Company Car advice on 22:43 - Dec 20 with 2801 viewslongtimefan

EV Company Car advice on 19:44 - Dec 20 by marvellous

Personally, I'd stay away from anything from VAG due to the many documented issues with build quality and software. I know they've been mostly surrounding the VW ID models but I doubt their budget brand, Skoda, will fair much better. I know you won't be picking up the bill but being picked up by the RAC isn't much fun either.

Of those I'd go for the Hyundai because it looks like a spaceship!

Talking of software on VAG cars, a work colleague has one and can’t go over the Orwell bridge with adaptive cruise control engaged because it always “reads” the 60mph signs as 80mph and goes too fast
EV Company Car advice on 22:52 - Dec 20 with 2792 viewsEly_Blue

EV Company Car advice on 22:43 - Dec 20 by longtimefan

Talking of software on VAG cars, a work colleague has one and can’t go over the Orwell bridge with adaptive cruise control engaged because it always “reads” the 60mph signs as 80mph and goes too fast

I’d say your colleague doesn’t understand adaptive cruise control as that is just a radar control that means when you set your car to a speed on the cruise control if someone enters the space you set in front of you or you come close to someone you auto slow down to their speed and then you speed up once they do or when they get out of your way

EV Company Car advice on 23:23 - Dec 20 with 2749 viewsCoastalblue

My only input here, as Pendejo will know well, avoid the Niro EV.

I spent much of the last two years doing the dreaded and aforementioned RAC pick ups among others, and whilst they may have improved now, and there was probably a large sample size due to Uber, I picked up lots and lots, often with sub 1000 miles on the clock.

Anecdotal I know, and I've (thankfully) not being doing it since the end of August but just my tuppence worth. It's a shame because they are actually a nice drive.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

EV Company Car advice on 00:59 - Dec 21 with 2670 viewsKievthegreat

I work at a Car manufacturer and a lot of engineers were quite effusive about it. Especially as we normally test much higher spec/price vehicles. Seems to be a very well designed and engineered car. Plus I think it looks absolutely fantastic. Much better than the VW offerings from people I talk to.

Not talked to many about the Niro EV as it's a mixed platform (ICE and EV) and most new cars especially in the price range you're talking about are moving to dedicated EV architectures. It will have some commonality with the Ioniq (Hyundai own Kia), but the Ioniq is on the newer architecture along with Kia's new EV6. Biggest advantage on a practical level is faster charging with the Ioniq charging at more than twice the speed.

Not sure where you live (guessing it's no longer Ely if you travel 200 miles each way), but worth looking online where the charging points are along your route. My recommendation (from 4+ years personal experience) is to aim for stops with as many chargers as possible. If there are 2 chargers, you are relying on luck to get one. Stop somewhere with 10+ and you can be much more confident. I'd also recommend checking out either P&R or destination chargers where you park. Copdock P&R appears to have plenty of 150kW rapids which means if you have it charge while you are at the game you will come back to a full battery. Meanwhile Crown Street seems to have a lot of free to use 7kW chargers, which won't charge you up a huge amount (just do 7 x number of hours parked to work out), but it's free juice.
EV Company Car advice on 01:07 - Dec 21 with 2669 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

I don't know anything about cars or electric but if I could give any advice it would be to do what feels right in your heart and then make a decision based on that
EV Company Car advice on 05:59 - Dec 21 with 2562 viewsElephantintheRoom

One thing you need to consider is that you’ll need a proper car for long journies. For most people that renders an electric car nothing more than misguided middle class virtue signalling

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

EV Company Car advice on 07:49 - Dec 21 with 2386 viewsEly_Blue

EV Company Car advice on 05:59 - Dec 21 by ElephantintheRoom

One thing you need to consider is that you’ll need a proper car for long journies. For most people that renders an electric car nothing more than misguided middle class virtue signalling

Or something that is going to save me just under £4k a year in tax and with rapid charging points can make longer journeys something that you need to plan properly, but thanks for your constructive feedback and input

EV Company Car advice on 07:51 - Dec 21 with 2384 viewsEly_Blue

EV Company Car advice on 00:59 - Dec 21 by Kievthegreat

I work at a Car manufacturer and a lot of engineers were quite effusive about it. Especially as we normally test much higher spec/price vehicles. Seems to be a very well designed and engineered car. Plus I think it looks absolutely fantastic. Much better than the VW offerings from people I talk to.

Not talked to many about the Niro EV as it's a mixed platform (ICE and EV) and most new cars especially in the price range you're talking about are moving to dedicated EV architectures. It will have some commonality with the Ioniq (Hyundai own Kia), but the Ioniq is on the newer architecture along with Kia's new EV6. Biggest advantage on a practical level is faster charging with the Ioniq charging at more than twice the speed.

Not sure where you live (guessing it's no longer Ely if you travel 200 miles each way), but worth looking online where the charging points are along your route. My recommendation (from 4+ years personal experience) is to aim for stops with as many chargers as possible. If there are 2 chargers, you are relying on luck to get one. Stop somewhere with 10+ and you can be much more confident. I'd also recommend checking out either P&R or destination chargers where you park. Copdock P&R appears to have plenty of 150kW rapids which means if you have it charge while you are at the game you will come back to a full battery. Meanwhile Crown Street seems to have a lot of free to use 7kW chargers, which won't charge you up a huge amount (just do 7 x number of hours parked to work out), but it's free juice.

No longer in Ely now, living between Poole & Bournemouth so most journeys are motorway, starting with M3, M25 so I guess I have options (if not necessarily the cheapest) for fast charging at the major service areas at Fleet, South Mimms & the BP at Chelmsford on a trip to Ipswich

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:33 - Dec 21 with 2281 viewsJohnWarksTash

EV Company Car advice on 05:59 - Dec 21 by ElephantintheRoom

Utter rubbish. Took my EV to Scotland from Suffolk, toured around and got home with no drama.

Nice to see our resident edgelord poking his nose in though.....
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 9:35]
EV Company Car advice on 10:03 - Dec 21 with 2232 viewsWeZBurnZ

Forget the company car.
Get your company to pay you the cash instead then claim tax relief against it for business.
Miles better off and get to drive what you want and not a biscuit tin on wheels.
Company cars are archaic.
EV Company Car advice on 10:24 - Dec 21 with 2145 viewslongtimefan

EV Company Car advice on 22:52 - Dec 20 by Ely_Blue

I’d say your colleague doesn’t understand adaptive cruise control as that is just a radar control that means when you set your car to a speed on the cruise control if someone enters the space you set in front of you or you come close to someone you auto slow down to their speed and then you speed up once they do or when they get out of your way

He tells me it has some form of speed limit sign recognition built into it that is supposed to limit the speed to the max permitted for the road. He may well of set the speed to 70mph but the software is supposed to recognise the 60mph speed limit signs on the bridge, but falsely reports them as 80mph on the dashboard. So it's probably more a case of failing to slow down as it's supposed to rather than speeding up. It's sufficiently bad that he's reported it to the dealer multiple times but had no engagement from them at all, and currently is of the view he's never buying VAG again (not wholly down to this issue but many others too).
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 10:36]
EV Company Car advice on 12:10 - Dec 21 with 2039 viewsEly_Blue

EV Company Car advice on 10:03 - Dec 21 by WeZBurnZ

Forget the company car.
Get your company to pay you the cash instead then claim tax relief against it for business.
Miles better off and get to drive what you want and not a biscuit tin on wheels.
Company cars are archaic.

You sound like you must be fun at parties

I’ll entertain you here, I don’t want to be tied to a personal pcp or lease agreement along with expensive repair bills if something goes wrong.

For the princely sum of £400 a year rather than £340 a month I can have a full funded (except for fuel) car that I can send back after 4 years and get another new one.

Sure I could take the monthly allowance from the company by opting out but that’s not a lump sum I can buy a £30-£40k car for immediately if I don’t want a pcp agreement now is it?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 12:22]

EV Company Car advice on 14:39 - Dec 21 with 1913 viewsDutchTractor

I have driven most of the cars on your list they al have pluses and minuses. But generally switching to electric is something i have not regretted and will never go back.

The Skoda and be id4 are basically the same car and software just slightly different topping to them. The id 4 build quality is better than Skoda as the Skoda feels a lot creeper. The smaller battery on the Skoda is a big limit and I would recommend the 80 over 5he 60 as it’s a bit of a tank and not that efficient. The VW id4 is also massive inside but the software will drive you nuts in less than 6 weeks.

The ionic 5 is the better car then the Kia next but it’s small.

So if you want a tank go for 5he skoda or vw with the biggest battery. If bootsende is not your main concern then the ionic 5 as it’s really fun to drive and we’ll specked and has a good range.

Regardless go for a test drive and see what you like most as you will be driving it.

Don’t worry about long journeys there are enough chargers about and honestly it’s not an issue anymore. Anyone who says it is does not on an ev.

Me I settled on a Tesla and have a big grin on my face everytime I press the accelerator to the floor
EV Company Car advice on 16:37 - Dec 21 with 1819 viewsronnyd

EV Company Car advice on 10:24 - Dec 21 by longtimefan

He tells me it has some form of speed limit sign recognition built into it that is supposed to limit the speed to the max permitted for the road. He may well of set the speed to 70mph but the software is supposed to recognise the 60mph speed limit signs on the bridge, but falsely reports them as 80mph on the dashboard. So it's probably more a case of failing to slow down as it's supposed to rather than speeding up. It's sufficiently bad that he's reported it to the dealer multiple times but had no engagement from them at all, and currently is of the view he's never buying VAG again (not wholly down to this issue but many others too).
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 10:36]

I have two devices that let me know what speed i'm supposed to be travelling. They're called eyes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024