Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate staying 20:31 - Dec 17 with 3177 viewstractordownsouth

Good news. if we don’t win the Euros I think it will be time for a change but at this point there was no better alternative.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Gareth Southgate staying on 13:13 - Dec 18 with 461 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

There are no sensible alternatives that would actually want the job at this time. People forget that he has changed representing England from being a bothersome chore to being something to aspire to. Whether or not he ever wins anything, he will have still created a solid foundation for the next manager.

I have been critical of him many times in the past, but I don't think he got much wrong against France. Harry Kane puts that penalty in and we are in the ascendancy and probably go on to win the game. My biggest surprise is that he actually wants to go through it all again, he must be made of a lot stronger stuff than most.

By the by, I like Potter, but if he ever gets the job he is getting Graham Taylored so hard by the tabs. Howe is the superior manager, much as I loathe his persona, and would probably be my favourite to take over when the time comes.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Gareth Southgate staying on 15:28 - Dec 18 with 425 viewstractordownsouth

Gareth Southgate staying on 13:13 - Dec 18 by SlippinJimmyJuan

There are no sensible alternatives that would actually want the job at this time. People forget that he has changed representing England from being a bothersome chore to being something to aspire to. Whether or not he ever wins anything, he will have still created a solid foundation for the next manager.

I have been critical of him many times in the past, but I don't think he got much wrong against France. Harry Kane puts that penalty in and we are in the ascendancy and probably go on to win the game. My biggest surprise is that he actually wants to go through it all again, he must be made of a lot stronger stuff than most.

By the by, I like Potter, but if he ever gets the job he is getting Graham Taylored so hard by the tabs. Howe is the superior manager, much as I loathe his persona, and would probably be my favourite to take over when the time comes.

Agreed with Howe; can’t stand him but international football would suit his strengths. He’s good at developing players and his weakness in the transfer market wouldn’t matter. Timeframe is also important because he wouldn’t jump ship now but in 2024 Newcastle might be in the market for a big name coach to manage them in the Champions League, leaving him free to take the England role.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Gareth Southgate staying on 16:44 - Dec 18 with 416 viewsChurchman

Gareth Southgate staying on 13:13 - Dec 18 by SlippinJimmyJuan

This is where I am. There isn’t realistically anybody else.

In terms of him carrying on with the job, it’s about as good a job offer as he’s going to get unless he’s happy club managing again at a place like Stoke.
Gareth Southgate staying on 17:49 - Dec 18 with 397 viewsbluebudgie

Ok, international manager but why did he not use Maddison who is on fire for Leicester ? he seems to stick to those he knows and doesn't seem to like the flair players which is why in my opinion we won't win anything with him in charge.
Gareth Southgate staying on 18:08 - Dec 18 with 366 viewsNthQldITFC

Gareth Southgate staying on 17:49 - Dec 18 by bluebudgie

Ok, international manager but why did he not use Maddison who is on fire for Leicester ? he seems to stick to those he knows and doesn't seem to like the flair players which is why in my opinion we won't win anything with him in charge.

Maddison still smells.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Gareth Southgate staying on 18:42 - Dec 18 with 346 viewsjonbull88

Gareth Southgate staying on 21:59 - Dec 17 by cressi

So what top side have we actually beat in a world cup under Southgate
I would say we beat who we are expecting to.
I fo not believe he has the ability to make major game changing decisions.
Ie Croatia 2018
Italy 2020
And a weakened France side 2022
Games his grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.
Not about previous managers I'm far from convinced.

Read a stat the other day between 1968-2016 we made it to 18 major tournaments and in that time won only 6 knock out games! Getting to precisely 0 finals.

Since 2018 under Southgate, we’ve won 6 knock out games, and reached 1 final.

Every bleeding tournament “we think it’s coming home”, I actually feel now we stand a chance. All this “who have we beaten” rubbish, makes it sound like we regularly beat Brazil, France or Spain. We had a disaster of a home nations league, but seriously what is the point of it.

Also I’ve read a stat that we scored as many goals in this World Cup than we have all the previous ones back to 98 or something added up. We used to be lucky to see 3 goals in a tournament, we now feel short changed if we don’t see 3 a game! We ran France fairly closely, and I put that more down to how England played rather than how France didn’t play, but I’m sure plenty will try to knock England for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024