Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds 08:56 - Nov 21 with 729 viewsbelgablue

Been scouring the internet trying to find a database where I can find the date of my Dad's last (of several) marriages. I've found the general free ones and the paid for but with no luck. I'm convinced I've been on a Suffolk specific site before but can't seem to locate it. Does anyone happen to know? Google not helping me.

Kind thanks in advance!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 09:32 - Nov 21 with 663 viewsDJR

Have you tried this site which is supposed to have all marriages in England and Wales until 1990, and can be made Suffolk-specific? I found the site via the National Archives website.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
[Post edited 21 Nov 2022 9:36]
Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 09:33 - Nov 21 with 655 viewsMedwayTractor

I've got worldwide membership of ancestry.com. If you haven't tried ancestry, send me a PM & I'll try for you, I'll need some personal info.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 10:30 - Nov 21 with 589 viewsbelgablue

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 09:32 - Nov 21 by DJR

Have you tried this site which is supposed to have all marriages in England and Wales until 1990, and can be made Suffolk-specific? I found the site via the National Archives website.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
[Post edited 21 Nov 2022 9:36]

Thanks, had a look on there earlier but nothing came up. Called Suffolk registrars and only option seems to be pay £11 for a marriage certificate with a date range and see what comes up!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 10:41 - Nov 21 with 552 viewsGuthrum

The problem you may have is that it could be too recent to have made it into the public domain. County records offices (archives, family history centres, etc.) generally don't hold those records more recently than 100 years. It is generally records from those sources which have ended up being digitised and thus available on the internet.

Suffolk is not that well covered in the way of online records (compared with some others, like Norfolk and Somerset). Presumably just never had the dedicated group of researchers transcribing and uploading the information. I did try to set something up for West Suffolk some years ago, but that went along with Yahoo Groups.

FreeBMD, as suggested by DJR, is the first place I'd have a look. They do have more recent digitised records (but the further into the 20th century, the less comprehensive the coverage).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 10:43 - Nov 21 with 542 viewsDJR

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 10:30 - Nov 21 by belgablue

Thanks, had a look on there earlier but nothing came up. Called Suffolk registrars and only option seems to be pay £11 for a marriage certificate with a date range and see what comes up!

Can you not visit their offices and at least search for free?

I might add that I have Scottish ancestry on both sides, and the system seems much better there because the system is run by the Scottish government. You can get 30 credits for £7.50, which enable you to make several searches, and view two or three records. Or I think you can just pay as you go.

Sadly, England and Wales seem to have gone down a more haphazard and privatised route.

EDIT: I am amazed how well those who operate the Scottish system decipher sometimes unintelligible handwriting. Maybe the volunteers on the English system just aren't as good at that sort of thing, or allow errors to creep in.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2022 12:29]
Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 10:55 - Nov 21 with 518 viewsDJR

Searching Suffolk marriage reocrds on 10:30 - Nov 21 by belgablue

I suppose there could be two possibilities. First, it was only a common law marriage. Second, your dad used slightly different personal details. Could you modify your search accordingly?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024