Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who was the last great striker we had? 22:13 - Nov 16 with 6233 viewsbackinbeige

Daryl Murphy?

Marcus Stewart?

…Alex Mathie (thanks for the post)?

……Paul Mariner?

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:21 - Nov 16 with 3510 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Depends a lot on how you define both "great" and "striker".

The last one we had who was a regular with a top international side was Mariner.

For town, few would argue that Stewart wasn't a great. Some would present a case for Counago or Kuqi. Would McGoldrick fit the descriptions?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:24 - Nov 16 with 3497 viewsHighgateBlue

Well it can't be Mathie, given that Stewart came after him, and Stewart was unquestionably greater.

For a good couple of years, Murphy was a great Championship striker. But whether that constitutes being a great striker is a different question.

If the shortness of Stewart's star burning brightly does not rule him out, then him. If it does, then I guess Mariner, who was unquestionably great.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:30 - Nov 16 with 3475 viewsHighgateBlue

Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:21 - Nov 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

The last one we had who was a regular with a top international side was Mariner.

For town, few would argue that Stewart wasn't a great. Some would present a case for Counago or Kuqi. Would McGoldrick fit the descriptions?

I think if you're talking about "great strikers" with fans of other teams, they would think you were joking if you started talking about Pablo. Only one season when he scored more than a dozen league goals (unless you count his dodgy FInnish side in 2015 when he was over the hill), and I'm not sure he ever got a single Premier League goal did he? Kiwomya has a better claim on any objective measure it seems to me.

However, I do see that he and Shefki were /Town/ greats, and cult figures. And maybe that is more valuable, especially supporting a club like ours. But given that our club has had the likes of Mariner in the past, I'm not sure that anyone since apart from Stewart could stake a claim to have been a "great" striker.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:56 - Nov 16 with 3413 viewsronnyd

It's really an age thing. I saw greats like Jonty Johnson, Whymark, Mariner etc. The longer you've been watching, the more you've seen over the years.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:58 - Nov 16 with 3394 viewsxrayspecs

Rhodes, Wickham or Marriot?
Who was the last great striker we had? on 23:15 - Nov 16 with 3375 viewsmylittletown

Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:21 - Nov 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Darren Bent was the last really top class striker who played for us.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 23:42 - Nov 16 with 3344 viewsSuperblue95

Waghorn

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Who was the last great striker we had? on 23:54 - Nov 16 with 3324 viewsTimeSyncOTP

Why has nobody mentioned Sam Parkin?
Login to get fewer ads

Who was the last great striker we had? on 01:05 - Nov 17 with 3269 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Mark Fish? Gatwick car park? The losers’ ribbons?

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:19 - Nov 17 with 3102 viewsElephantintheRoom

That’s a very easy question to answer…. Ray Crawford.

No other striker has ever got close to 40 goals in a season

There have been some good strikers since - of whom Mariner, Whymark, David Jonson the first - and Dalian Atkinson were probably the best but none were prolific scorers - just very good players

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:42 - Nov 17 with 3049 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:19 - Nov 17 by ElephantintheRoom

There have been some good strikers since - of whom Mariner, Whymark, David Jonson the first - and Dalian Atkinson were probably the best but none were prolific scorers - just very good players

The idea that Paul Mariner wasn't a great striker is very silly indeed, even by your trolling standards.

Finidi George was a Forward (depends on how Striker is defined as to whether he fits the original question) who played for us at the end of a great career. But claiming him as an answer to this question is as laughable as the Budgies claiming Martin Peters as one of their greatest ever players just because he wanted to pootle around the Broads for a couple of years as he neared retirement.

Wow! This trolling answer lark is easy, isn't it?
Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:53 - Nov 17 with 3013 viewsgazzer1999

After Paul Mariner who was the greatest, Marcus Stewart is the answer. If Marcus had been at ITFC as long as Paul did and played in such a great team he may have gone on to be the GOAT. I am just happy in the knowledge that I was around to see both their careers here.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:56 - Nov 17 with 2986 viewsBobsthename

Who was the last great striker we had? on 22:58 - Nov 16 by xrayspecs

Rhodes, Wickham or Marriot?

None of them .oh dear.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:58 - Nov 17 with 2975 viewsBobsthename

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:53 - Nov 17 by gazzer1999

After Paul Mariner who was the greatest, Marcus Stewart is the answer. If Marcus had been at ITFC as long as Paul did and played in such a great team he may have gone on to be the GOAT. I am just happy in the knowledge that I was around to see both their careers here.

Yep Mariner and Wymark for me followed by Stewart and then Murphy.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:59 - Nov 17 with 2984 viewsmikeybloo88

Alan Brazil actually had a better goals per game ratio for us than PM, so should definitely be in the debate. No one else, not even Marcus, produced so much for us at the top level in my era, so hard to look beyond those two...although for me Mariner was my favourite and he did it at every club he played for and internationally so gets the nod.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:01 - Nov 17 with 2973 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Alan Brazil and Eric Gates.

Brazil was a great one-on-one finisher. Gates was ahead of his time as a "Support Striker" who made a lot of chances for others. Many of them penalties for John Wark to dispatch.

Leeds fans of a certain vintage would hail Lee Chapman as a great, but he barely played for us, and even when he did get on the pitch, he barely played for us!

While not an out and out great, for a couple of years Paul Goddard was visibly a class above and made a lot of goals for the young players around him. I would have him as the "forgotten man" of the Lyall era.

Dalian Atkinson and Marcus Stewart are contenders. Darren Bent is pretty close. They each deserve a place along the Cobbold Stand.

But at FPR greatness is measured in statues, and the most recent Striker even close to being deserving of a statue is Paul Mariner.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:02 - Nov 17 with 2953 viewsBobsthename

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:59 - Nov 17 by mikeybloo88

Alan Brazil actually had a better goals per game ratio for us than PM, so should definitely be in the debate. No one else, not even Marcus, produced so much for us at the top level in my era, so hard to look beyond those two...although for me Mariner was my favourite and he did it at every club he played for and internationally so gets the nod.

Forgot about Brazil maybe him on par with Stewart .
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:03 - Nov 17 with 2963 viewsPippin1970

Not a striker but John Wark. 36 goals in 80/81 season.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:28 - Nov 17 with 2902 viewsDBaldy

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:42 - Nov 17 by ArnoldMoorhen

The idea that Paul Mariner wasn't a great striker is very silly indeed, even by your trolling standards.

Finidi George was a Forward (depends on how Striker is defined as to whether he fits the original question) who played for us at the end of a great career. But claiming him as an answer to this question is as laughable as the Budgies claiming Martin Peters as one of their greatest ever players just because he wanted to pootle around the Broads for a couple of years as he neared retirement.

Wow! This trolling answer lark is easy, isn't it?

This would appear to be a shining example of why I have this idiot in my ignore list.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:43 - Nov 17 with 2870 viewshomer_123

Great

Mariner
Crawford
Phillips
Whymark

Then you go next level:

Stewart
Brazil
Bent (D)
Atkinson
Murphy
Johnson (D)
Johnson (D)
Counago/ Kuqi
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 8:44]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:47 - Nov 17 with 2827 viewsBroadhill

Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:43 - Nov 17 by homer_123

Great

Mariner
Crawford
Phillips
Whymark

Then you go next level:

Stewart
Brazil
Bent (D)
Atkinson
Murphy
Johnson (D)
Johnson (D)
Counago/ Kuqi

I'd pretty much agree with you on both those lists. Don't think you have missed any of our best strikers off them.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:55 - Nov 17 with 2789 viewsSharkey

I've mentioned before on here, I stood in the Churchman's for Town v Southampton, and on the way out people were talking about what a good game Keegan had had. The fact that Brazil had converted FIVE of his chances they took for granted.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:57 - Nov 17 with 2784 viewsChurchman

Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:43 - Nov 17 by homer_123

Great

Mariner
Crawford
Phillips
Whymark

Then you go next level:

Stewart
Brazil
Bent (D)
Atkinson
Murphy
Johnson (D)
Johnson (D)
Counago/ Kuqi

Agreed, but I’d add Mathie and Marshall to the ‘next level’ list.

I would also like to add to ‘next level’ long forgotten John O’Rourke. He made a similar number of appearances as Stewart, scored 30 in 69 games and was a big part of the 1968 2nd Div Championship team. He scored in my first ever game (Cardiff at home) and was my favourite player at the time! Am I biased? Yep.
Who was the last great striker we had? on 09:14 - Nov 17 with 2739 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Who was the last great striker we had? on 08:47 - Nov 17 by Broadhill

I'd pretty much agree with you on both those lists. Don't think you have missed any of our best strikers off them.

Goddard and Scowcroft (not mentioned yet) have to be at least on a par with Counago and Kuqi, don't they are?

And Eric Gates was a striker, albeit not a Centre Forward, and was a better player than any of them.

Was Counago better than Kiwomya? Or McGoldrick?

Was Kuqi better than Walters? Or Waghorn?

Kieffer Moore may end up with more World Cup Finals goals than all of them combined!
Who was the last great striker we had? on 10:00 - Nov 17 with 2596 viewscbower

Who was the last great striker we had? on 07:19 - Nov 17 by ElephantintheRoom

To state that Paul Mariner was just 'a very good player' but not 'a great striker' is all I need to know.
I love the diversity of opinion on here and in my 12 years posting have never yet put anyone on ignore. In this case I may have to. Life is simply too short to waste time on such drivel. You, sir, are not a genuine Town fan imho.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 10:01]

bluescouser

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024