Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average Crowds 18:23 - Oct 12 with 9017 viewsipswichtillidie

A lot being made of the fantastic support. I wonder when/if the club look to increase the capacity. The new owners would surely look at this given how they have done things so far. It would increase the sell on from a business perspective greatly too. My question would be could we generate the support to fill say a 40,000 all seater. Maybe even larger with safe standing. Looking at the list from the link below if we could establish ourselves around that number it would be a huge step in cementing our long term aspirations of being a (BiG) club again. Perhaps they might look at a new venue. All conservations they would have had.
Just a thought…

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-home-crowds-among-biggest

Gav

Average Crowds on 18:41 - Oct 12 with 5050 viewsMattinLondon

No, think that 40k is far too large and would be a total waste of money. 35k would also be too big but could be filled if times are good. But would run the risk of being a white elephant.
Average Crowds (n/t) on 18:45 - Oct 12 with 5021 viewsBugs

Average Crowds on 18:41 - Oct 12 by MattinLondon

No, think that 40k is far too large and would be a total waste of money. 35k would also be too big but could be filled if times are good. But would run the risk of being a white elephant.

In football manager 2014 I had gates of 50k plus by 2027.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 18:47]
Average Crowds on 18:51 - Oct 12 with 4988 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 18:41 - Oct 12 by MattinLondon

I would argue that we are currently getting crowds of 25,000 in league1. Who’s to say what new interest would develop say we are playing in the top flight or knocking on the door. Demographically the population is much much larger in surrounding areas than it was say 20 years ago when we were last decent. Wouldn’t say you don’t have a point currently mind but I’m
Pretty sure our ownership are forward thinking people.

Gav

Average Crowds on 18:58 - Oct 12 with 4949 viewshomer_123

Nothing bad ever came about when we invest in our stadia.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Average Crowds on 19:00 - Oct 12 with 4917 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 18:51 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

I would argue that we are currently getting crowds of 25,000 in league1. Who’s to say what new interest would develop say we are playing in the top flight or knocking on the door. Demographically the population is much much larger in surrounding areas than it was say 20 years ago when we were last decent. Wouldn’t say you don’t have a point currently mind but I’m
Pretty sure our ownership are forward thinking people.

30,000 is about right for the club, even if we reached the Prem.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Average Crowds on 19:01 - Oct 12 with 4918 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 18:58 - Oct 12 by homer_123

Nothing bad ever came about when we invest in our stadia.

This is a point I thought would be made but not necessarily something I think will put the new ownership off. I appreciate the reluctance from a historical point of view but if there is room for growth why wouldn’t we take the opportunity

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:02 - Oct 12 with 4893 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 19:00 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Look not everyone can be forward thinking don’t feel bad..

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:03 - Oct 12 with 4884 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:01 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

This is a point I thought would be made but not necessarily something I think will put the new ownership off. I appreciate the reluctance from a historical point of view but if there is room for growth why wouldn’t we take the opportunity

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that it would be sustainable, and viability would be a HUGE question mark.

It will be bottom of their list for sure.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Average Crowds on 19:05 - Oct 12 with 4854 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:02 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

Look not everyone can be forward thinking don’t feel bad..

Having a bad, ill considered, unviable idea makes you forward thinking?

;-)

Average Crowds on 19:08 - Oct 12 with 4848 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 19:05 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Having a bad, ill considered, unviable idea makes you forward thinking?

;-)

Lacking vision, ambition and pushing against change and using past failures as excuses must make you…… (old fashioned I’d guess)

;)

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:09 - Oct 12 with 4854 viewshomer_123

Average Crowds on 19:03 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that it would be sustainable, and viability would be a HUGE question mark.

It will be bottom of their list for sure.

Indeed...look at our attendances over the last 10 years and can see why a 40k stadium would be wasted.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Average Crowds on 19:11 - Oct 12 with 4814 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 19:09 - Oct 12 by homer_123

Indeed...look at our attendances over the last 10 years and can see why a 40k stadium would be wasted.

Perhaps it really would. I’d bet anything it’s something they would like to do though and something at some point If things continue to go well they will take seriously. Obviously imo

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:11 - Oct 12 with 4808 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:08 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

Lacking vision, ambition and pushing against change and using past failures as excuses must make you…… (old fashioned I’d guess)

;)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/67

What's making you think its viable?

Average Crowds on 19:11 - Oct 12 with 4804 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:09 - Oct 12 by homer_123

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/67

Indeed.

Average Crowds on 19:13 - Oct 12 with 4773 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:11 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

Perhaps it really would. I’d bet anything it’s something they would like to do though and something at some point If things continue to go well they will take seriously. Obviously imo

Feel free to dig this thread up in 10 years time when the stadium is 40k capacity.

;-)

Average Crowds on 19:13 - Oct 12 with 4773 viewsSwansea_Blue

Average Crowds on 19:00 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think so. Not least because gate receipts aren’t important any more (at the top level). As depressing as it sounds, financially l I bet we’d do better signing an overseas star from a lesser footballing country and then mop up the merchandise and iFollow sales.

We easily filled PR last time we were in the PL, but struggled to when doing well in the Championship. Fans beyond the hard core support are fickle. If we’re not winning or they’re not being entertained they won’t turn up. Better for team support to have a fuller smaller ground than a larger emptier one I’d have thought.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Average Crowds on 19:14 - Oct 12 with 4807 viewsEastTownBlue

I’m not sure how much the capacity can be increased by redeveloping the Cobbold Stand. Having a ground that holds just beyond 30,000 should suffice.

For anyone thinking of building a new ground out of town by the A12/A14, get yourselves a season ticket at Reading.
Average Crowds on 19:16 - Oct 12 with 4765 viewsblueislander

As I understand it safe standing will not necessarily increase capacity.
Average Crowds on 19:17 - Oct 12 with 4768 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 19:11 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

I return to my previous comment that demographically things have changed.. Perhaps you might have noticed the odd house popping up over the last few years. Take a look a populations of local areas now compared to 22 years ago where as your link will show we were getting gates of 25/26/27 k. I just think if you look at history and use it as an excuse your doomed to fail. Look at Weat Ham as an example. They use to have gates around those levels now they fill a large 60k all seater. We could get attendances up and match day prices down…

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:19 - Oct 12 with 4742 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:17 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

I return to my previous comment that demographically things have changed.. Perhaps you might have noticed the odd house popping up over the last few years. Take a look a populations of local areas now compared to 22 years ago where as your link will show we were getting gates of 25/26/27 k. I just think if you look at history and use it as an excuse your doomed to fail. Look at Weat Ham as an example. They use to have gates around those levels now they fill a large 60k all seater. We could get attendances up and match day prices down…

West Ham?? Comparing our demos, catchment and latent demand to West Ham??

Oh my.

And development viability does not stack up on reduced match day prices.

Average Crowds on 19:21 - Oct 12 with 4721 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 19:19 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

West Ham?? Comparing our demos, catchment and latent demand to West Ham??

Oh my.

And development viability does not stack up on reduced match day prices.

Our catchment area whilst not as densely populated is huge. We could attract fans from numerous surrounding counties. Interesting discussion perhaps someone will chip in on my team but I’ll stand by it will get looked at if things go to plan.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 19:22]

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:24 - Oct 12 with 4682 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:21 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

Our catchment area whilst not as densely populated is huge. We could attract fans from numerous surrounding counties. Interesting discussion perhaps someone will chip in on my team but I’ll stand by it will get looked at if things go to plan.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 19:22]

The extra 10,000 wont come from surrounding counties.

Its about numbers of population and travel times, not square miles.

I'm happy to agree to differ on this one.

Numerous posters have contributed to state they dont think increased capacity is needed or a good idea.

Average Crowds on 19:28 - Oct 12 with 4654 viewsjayessess

I think we've already got the highest attendance on that list relative to the size of the city/town.

Norwich, Ipswich and Middlesbrough are the only urban areas with a population under 150,000 with a team in the top 25. Yes, we've got a big catchment area but we are punching above our weight with attendances as it is.

Not owning our stadium is a big issue for moving. We can't recoup money from the land. I think there's obvious scope to rebuild the East and West Stands and age will probably force us to at some point. We'll surely aim to increase capacity somewhat when we do. But I've seen nothing to suggest it needs to more than 5k (this isn't a "build it and they will come thing", we know how many people want Ipswich Town tickets at any given times! Extra 10k? If we've got a waiting list at 30k maybe you consider it!) and the timing will have to be absolutely spot on. Are we going to have the breathing space to forego some revenue during construction? Is the investment going to affect the playing budget? Very easy, as we've seen in the past, to get stuck playing lower league football in a half empty stadium that you built for sunnier days.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Average Crowds on 19:29 - Oct 12 with 4653 viewsipswichtillidie

Average Crowds on 19:24 - Oct 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

The extra 10,000 wont come from surrounding counties.

Its about numbers of population and travel times, not square miles.

I'm happy to agree to differ on this one.

Numerous posters have contributed to state they dont think increased capacity is needed or a good idea.

I wasn’t stating it was currently needed. See OP, Merely pointing out that it will be a consideration if things go to plan and perhaps sooner than later imo. To dismiss it for all the reasons given for me lacks ambition and I don’t believe our new owners have that trait.

Have a good evening.

Gav

Average Crowds on 19:30 - Oct 12 with 4618 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Average Crowds on 19:29 - Oct 12 by ipswichtillidie

I wasn’t stating it was currently needed. See OP, Merely pointing out that it will be a consideration if things go to plan and perhaps sooner than later imo. To dismiss it for all the reasons given for me lacks ambition and I don’t believe our new owners have that trait.

Have a good evening.

Its realism, and commercial awareness not a lack of ambition.

Good evening.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024