Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday's Hero 18:57 - Oct 2 with 1855 viewsThe_Major

Older heads will recall a movie being shot at Portman Road circa 1979 - Yesterday's Hero, with Ian McShane playing a star striker.

Someone's only gone and put it on YouTube!

Go to the 38 minute mark to see Portman Road in all it's seventies glory. See the bored supporters in the West Stand! Gawp at the half hearted pretend goal celebrations! Get confused as the camera is in the Cobbold Stand and everything is back to front!

Yesterday's Hero on 19:23 - Oct 2 with 1749 viewsgtsb1966

If my memory is correct that was filmed when we played Arsenal. Can't remember if it was before the game or at half time.
Yesterday's Hero on 19:27 - Oct 2 with 1742 viewsJeff_winger

Some interesting shots, thanks for sharing.
Film actually looked watchable.
Yesterday's Hero on 19:36 - Oct 2 with 1707 viewsBluespeed225

Yesterday's Hero on 19:23 - Oct 2 by gtsb1966

If my memory is correct that was filmed when we played Arsenal. Can't remember if it was before the game or at half time.

V Man City I think. I was in Churchmans, remember McShane taking several attempts at a shot. Adam Faith as his agent?
Yesterday's Hero on 19:37 - Oct 2 with 1694 viewsBluespeed225

Yesterday's Hero on 19:27 - Oct 2 by Jeff_winger

Some interesting shots, thanks for sharing.
Film actually looked watchable.

Often pops up on Talking Pictures channel.
Yesterday's Hero on 19:39 - Oct 2 with 1684 viewsbluefunk

Half time I think,
Yesterday's Hero on 19:47 - Oct 2 with 1643 viewsronnyd

Yesterday's Hero on 19:39 - Oct 2 by bluefunk

Half time I think,

I remember that those of us in the crowd didn't play ball when they were filming. Lots of jeering and taking the pish.
Yesterday's Hero on 20:04 - Oct 2 with 1606 viewsMatterhorn

Yesterday's Hero on 19:47 - Oct 2 by ronnyd

I remember that those of us in the crowd didn't play ball when they were filming. Lots of jeering and taking the pish.

Yeah. I remember that, if my memory serves me right I think Sudbury wanderers were the opposition, for the film I mean!
Yesterday's Hero on 20:22 - Oct 2 with 1552 viewsDJR

Yesterday's Hero on 19:47 - Oct 2 by ronnyd

I remember that too. A friend of mine was one of the extras and was instructed to cheer etc. but there doesn't appear to be much footage of them. And my abiding memory was that Ian McShane was quite stocky and had very prominent ribs, something that doesn't come across in the film.
Login to get fewer ads

Yesterday's Hero on 20:23 - Oct 2 with 1542 viewsLord_Lucan

Half time v Citeh

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Yesterday's Hero on 20:33 - Oct 2 with 1525 viewsWeWereZombies

John Motson is listed at the end of supporting actors, Frank McLIntock as football adviser and it was written by Jackie Collins, sounds like one tough green room.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Yesterday's Hero on 21:53 - Oct 2 with 1392 viewsfarkenhell

Yesterday's Hero on 19:36 - Oct 2 by Bluespeed225

V Man City I think. I was in Churchmans, remember McShane taking several attempts at a shot. Adam Faith as his agent?

You're right, it was at half time v Man City (I was at the game with a citey-supporting mate). Not only did McShane have several unsuccessful attempts to put the ball in the net, he was that sh!t the director ran out of patience and they changed the move so that he could tap the ball in from a couple of yards. It was hilarious.
Yesterday's Hero on 22:30 - Oct 2 with 1313 viewsGlasgowBlue

I thought it was when we played a Southampton? I was there that day and they filmed those scenes at half time. one take.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Yesterday's Hero on 08:32 - Oct 3 with 1151 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Ha ha does anyone remember the filming for the 'rabbit' when the North stand was given a chant to do for the film and just took the piss. Seem to remember the filming was abandoned!
Yesterday's Hero on 10:12 - Oct 3 with 1096 viewsElephantintheRoom

There was an equally rubbish film made a couple of decades later with another ‘housewives favourite’ Sean Bean playing the George Best role for Sheffield United.

Presumably we’re due another one soon

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Yesterday's Hero on 10:22 - Oct 3 with 1077 viewshoppy

Interesting they used Umbro training kit, but Admiral match kit, against the Adidas of Ipswich and Nottingham Forest.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Yesterday's Hero on 13:30 - Oct 3 with 985 viewsKitman

Pre Lovejoy days for McShane.. Bit of a limp plot for the film, very predicable ending. McShane's first bit of totty was Ms Barber as I recall. Some time before she was in Dempsey and Makepeace...

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Yesterday's Hero on 18:00 - Oct 3 with 864 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Yesterday's Hero on 08:32 - Oct 3 by BrentwoodBlagger2

Ha ha does anyone remember the filming for the 'rabbit' when the North stand was given a chant to do for the film and just took the piss. Seem to remember the filming was abandoned!

does anyone in the North Stand admit singing 'the referee's a rabbit'?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024