Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? 13:43 - Sep 10 with 4243 viewsPique

I think for me it would be Barter Books in Alnwick, Northumberland. A huge second hand bookshop in an old train station on the edge of the town. A truly beautiful building and setting, with a cafe in the old waiting room and miles and miles of books - I could lose myself in there for days.

Genuinely interested to hear if anyone else has a favourite, either in the UK or overseas.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:46 - Sep 10 with 2243 viewsMattinLondon

Is that the one where a model railway runs along the inside of the building?
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:47 - Sep 10 with 2236 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:46 - Sep 10 by MattinLondon

Is that the one where a model railway runs along the inside of the building?

Yes! And they have a huge mural of lots of writers from history painted on the wall.

It’s also where the Keep Calm and Carry On poster was (re)discovered.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:50 - Sep 10 with 2219 viewsfabian_illness

Woolworths for me.
They had every single Mr Men book ever made.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:51 - Sep 10 with 2212 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:50 - Sep 10 by fabian_illness

Woolworths for me.
They had every single Mr Men book ever made.

I don’t think there’s a day that goes by when I don’t miss Woolworths a little bit.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:51 - Sep 10 with 2210 viewsBlueBadger

Chapel Books, in Westleton.

You quite often have to bang a tin can on the counter to get the attention of the owner.

Who is often serving in his PJ's and dressing gown.

https://www.chapelbooks.com/about.php

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:53 - Sep 10 with 2200 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:51 - Sep 10 by BlueBadger

Chapel Books, in Westleton.

You quite often have to bang a tin can on the counter to get the attention of the owner.

Who is often serving in his PJ's and dressing gown.

https://www.chapelbooks.com/about.php

Looks amazing. And some admirable honesty from the owner…!
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:55 - Sep 10 with 2188 viewsChurchman

My favourite is not the best, which I suppose is Foyles, but the Ian Allan bookshop near Waterloo Station (Lower Marsh). It’s for military books, not that large but great!

Being an avid reader, I love all bookshops and have trouble passing them by, despite doing most of my reading from kindle and the library service Libby.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:02 - Sep 10 with 2165 viewsMullet

No idea what it is called, but there was in central Lisbon so olde worldy and full of sights I sent a picture to HarryfromBath. Never been in a place like it.

In terms of how good it was a book shop, probably not a lot as I don't speak Portuguese, so I'll go with Manchester Waterstones instead.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:04 - Sep 10 with 2150 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:02 - Sep 10 by Mullet

No idea what it is called, but there was in central Lisbon so olde worldy and full of sights I sent a picture to HarryfromBath. Never been in a place like it.

In terms of how good it was a book shop, probably not a lot as I don't speak Portuguese, so I'll go with Manchester Waterstones instead.

I love Waterstones. Never been to the Manchester one, but the London Piccadilly flagship store is a thing a beauty.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:05 - Sep 10 with 2142 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 13:55 - Sep 10 by Churchman

My favourite is not the best, which I suppose is Foyles, but the Ian Allan bookshop near Waterloo Station (Lower Marsh). It’s for military books, not that large but great!

Being an avid reader, I love all bookshops and have trouble passing them by, despite doing most of my reading from kindle and the library service Libby.

Sounds great.

I know what you mean about not being able to walk past a bookshop.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:21 - Sep 10 with 2080 viewsEJP

Powells - Portland, Oregon.

https://www.powells.com/

I did 3 summers in the 90s working at a summer camp just outside Portland, and Powells and Apple Music (now sadly gone) were my break day staples.

Coffee and a read of the imported Q magazine every month!
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:23 - Sep 10 with 2079 viewsMattinLondon

I’ve been to Argentina on a couple of occasions but never made it here - looks fantastic.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g312741-d317523-Reviews-El_Atene
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:25 - Sep 10 with 2076 viewsIllinoisblue

Sportspages. RIP

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:29 - Sep 10 with 2054 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:21 - Sep 10 by EJP

Powells - Portland, Oregon.

https://www.powells.com/

I did 3 summers in the 90s working at a summer camp just outside Portland, and Powells and Apple Music (now sadly gone) were my break day staples.

Coffee and a read of the imported Q magazine every month!

Never been to Oregon, but I’ve definitely heard of the legendary Powell’s - would love to go one day.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:30 - Sep 10 with 2051 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:23 - Sep 10 by MattinLondon

I’ve been to Argentina on a couple of occasions but never made it here - looks fantastic.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g312741-d317523-Reviews-El_Atene

I have been to this one! It was truly spectacular.

Buenos Aires is a great city as well.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:33 - Sep 10 with 2052 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:25 - Sep 10 by Illinoisblue

Sportspages. RIP

Had to look that up, I hadn’t heard of it, but looks like it was a brilliant place. Assume it fell victim to the Charing Cross Road high rents? Seem to remember a crime bookshop called Murder One (I think) that went the same way.
[Redacted] on 14:58 - Sep 10 with 2005 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 15:10 - Sep 10 with 1946 viewsPique

[Redacted] on 14:58 - Sep 10 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

The Strand really is magnificent isn’t it?

That Rochester one looks really interesting, will have to pop in when I’m next in Kent.
[Redacted] on 16:12 - Sep 10 with 1868 viewsvictorywilhappen

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 15:10 - Sep 10 by Pique

The Strand really is magnificent isn’t it?

That Rochester one looks really interesting, will have to pop in when I’m next in Kent.

[Redacted]
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 16:18 - Sep 10 with 1847 viewsbrazil1982

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:33 - Sep 10 by Pique

Had to look that up, I hadn’t heard of it, but looks like it was a brilliant place. Assume it fell victim to the Charing Cross Road high rents? Seem to remember a crime bookshop called Murder One (I think) that went the same way.

Brilliant shop, closed many 6ears ago. Had a branch in Manchester for a few years.

Theres a small 2nd hand bookshop opposite Pickering station which I a pleasure.

Another in a former chapel in Inverness is worth a visit. Nicely disorganised.

Barter books is brilliant.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 16:42 - Sep 10 with 1824 viewsEastTownBlue

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 14:33 - Sep 10 by Pique

Visited there a few times. It was certainly a place to pick up fanzines from various clubs.

I seem to recall seeing signed books from referee Kevin Lynch (he of Carrow Road 1995 notoriety). I resisted the temptation to purchase that.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 17:13 - Sep 10 with 1779 viewsElephantintheRoom

I used to enjoy thumbing through books in Foyles - and occasionally trying to navigate their baffling buying process. This century I find Amazon more accommodating.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 17:15 - Sep 10 with 1771 viewsSharkey

Maybe not 'the best' , because it's only small, but my favourite is the Open Road in Stoke by Nayland. I like it because it tends to have some surprising European fiction in English translation.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 17:19 - Sep 10 with 1764 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 16:18 - Sep 10 by brazil1982

Brilliant shop, closed many 6ears ago. Had a branch in Manchester for a few years.

Theres a small 2nd hand bookshop opposite Pickering station which I a pleasure.

Another in a former chapel in Inverness is worth a visit. Nicely disorganised.

Barter books is brilliant.

I think I’ve been to the Inverness one - is it called Leaky’s (or something like that)? Was fantastic, exactly as you describe - gloriously disorganised, with a big wood burner in the middle if I remember correctly.
What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 17:22 - Sep 10 with 1749 viewsPique

What’s the best bookshop you’ve ever been to? on 17:15 - Sep 10 by Sharkey

Maybe not 'the best' , because it's only small, but my favourite is the Open Road in Stoke by Nayland. I like it because it tends to have some surprising European fiction in English translation.

Hadn’t heard of that, just looked at its Instagram page, looks great. I see they were previously offering a free potato with every book purchased!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024