Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? 21:51 - Aug 9 with 949 viewsWickwar_Blue

I just don’t get why all of our recent managers make wholesale changes for the First Round of the EFL Cup. Surely it’s the perfect opportunity to start with a strong XI, work on partnerships/patterns of play against weakened opposition?

Our League Cup record since the Priskin semi is awful. Shouldn’t be too much to ask that we gave it a good go occasionally?
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:53 - Aug 9 with 925 viewspointofblue

Can you imagine the reaction if Wlaton, Fridge, Morsy, Evans or Burns picked up a bad injury tonight?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:54 - Aug 9 with 903 viewsWickwar_Blue

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:53 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

Can you imagine the reaction if Wlaton, Fridge, Morsy, Evans or Burns picked up a bad injury tonight?

So we never play the First XI in a cup tie? What’s the point in entering?
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:55 - Aug 9 with 897 viewstonybied

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:53 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

Can you imagine the reaction if we change most of the team and then lose in the first round again?
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 21:55]
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:56 - Aug 9 with 883 viewspointofblue

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:54 - Aug 9 by Wickwar_Blue

So we never play the First XI in a cup tie? What’s the point in entering?

Not many teams do, to be fair. Not until the latter stages. Even in the FA Cup Semi Final, Guardiola played Steffen over Ederson in goal.

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:56 - Aug 9 with 874 viewsFtnfwest

Didn’t cook or lambert play a strong team in the cup either last season or the year before. Even mick tried it once when he was in a sulk over all the criticism. Still lost on all those occasions as well, cursed.
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:57 - Aug 9 with 853 viewsHipsterectomy

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:56 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

Not many teams do, to be fair. Not until the latter stages. Even in the FA Cup Semi Final, Guardiola played Steffen over Ederson in goal.

I don't think you can compare our reserves to Man City's second team

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:58 - Aug 9 with 836 viewsGuthrum

I can see why they do it (give the first team a Tuesday night off, allow other squad members time on the pitch and a chance to impress), but that still doesn't make it a good idea. Particularly when the second string can't rise to the occasion.

Possibly part of the issue is that the "cups team" don't play competitive games together often enough to become well-drilled and fluid. Also that, with the lack of a reserves competition nowadays, managers are tempted to use cup matches for that instead.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:58 - Aug 9 with 825 viewsIllinoisblue

As Gav said, you could make 5 changes. Doesn’t need to be the whole team.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:58 - Aug 9 with 825 viewsJDB23

Don't think this team needs much gelling. We're a fairly settled side who know how we want to play, we just don't have players who are composed in front of goal.
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:59 - Aug 9 with 824 viewspointofblue

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:57 - Aug 9 by Hipsterectomy

I don't think you can compare our reserves to Man City's second team

At this stage of the competition? I think I can; that eleven should have been more that strong enough to win tonight.

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:00 - Aug 9 with 811 viewsWickwar_Blue

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:58 - Aug 9 by JDB23

Don't think this team needs much gelling. We're a fairly settled side who know how we want to play, we just don't have players who are composed in front of goal.

Then let’s play our best team and win a cup tie!
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:01 - Aug 9 with 796 viewsWickwar_Blue

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 21:56 - Aug 9 by Ftnfwest

Didn’t cook or lambert play a strong team in the cup either last season or the year before. Even mick tried it once when he was in a sulk over all the criticism. Still lost on all those occasions as well, cursed.

You are probably right…. I can’t remember the exact details as they get lost in the decade of gloom!
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:02 - Aug 9 with 781 viewstimothyeo

I complained about Cook not doing it, primarily because we looked like a bunch of strangers in the league and both him and fans on here were asking for patience as players gelled etc.

Of course, I was ripped apart on here for being anti-cook and I had to show some faith. Just like I was anti-lambert and had to show some more blind faith despite it being obvious to anyone with half a football brain neither of those managers were working.

I'm slightly less critical of it this time round as we don't look like total strangers- if McKenna gets off to a poor start after 5 games and asks for patience for the team to gel and adapt then he will deserve the same criticism mind.
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:48 - Aug 9 with 682 viewsSitfcB

That’s the point of having a squad like this though, to cope with all the games.

No reason why that team put out tonight shouldn’t be beating Colchester.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:53 - Aug 9 with 666 viewschicoazul

Can you imagine the reaction if we won.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:59 - Aug 9 with 633 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:48 - Aug 9 by SitfcB

That’s the point of having a squad like this though, to cope with all the games.

No reason why that team put out tonight shouldn’t be beating Colchester.

It’s not a team though is it? It’s a collection of individuals that have been thrown together because they haven’t started in the League. They are not a cohesive unit and it’s completely unrealistic to expect anything but a disjointed performance.

It’s a wasted opportunity. Yes play Humphreys but alongside someone like Morsy, so he’s got someone to learn off. We know what Jackson is about - he’s been here 4 years. Freddie however needs a goal and tonight was a perfect opportunity to get him on the scoresheet but he’s nowhere to be seen.

The defeat will soon be forgotten if we win on Saturday but I thought the manager would have been a bit smarter with his selection given our chronic recent record in the cups

Poll: Our final position

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 23:09 - Aug 9 with 597 viewsstonojnr

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:53 - Aug 9 by chicoazul

and then lose on Saturday... we can play hypotheticals all season Town then always get the result you want to prove a point ;)
Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 23:40 - Aug 9 with 554 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Why do none of our managers use the League Cup to gel the team? on 22:53 - Aug 9 by chicoazul

a cup game?

no - I don't recall the last time to compare it with
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024