Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simpson situation 12:45 - Jul 25 with 7778 viewsringwoodblue

Surprisingly still no news on Simpson departing and no sign of a U-turn from McKenna to give him a go in our first team.

Is he really going to spend yet another season languishing in our U23s? Surely a L2 or lower L1 side could give him an opportunity in their first team?

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Simpson situation on 20:01 - Jul 25 with 1708 viewsBarcaBlue

Simpson situation on 13:16 - Jul 25 by Big_Jase

Why are people so bitter about stuff like this, why do you want a young player to go and rot in someone’s reserves. He feels the club has messed him about and doesn’t want to sign a new deal, by all accounts and what people have said I don’t believe he was after a substantial increase. The attitude people have to players who want a move to either better themselves financially or in a football sense is so bizarre, do you feel the same towards people who move on at your workplace?

Completely agree, the bitterness is uncalled for especially without knowing all the facts and both sides of the story. Maybe he has good reason to feel aggrieved, maybe not. Gibbs leaving last Summer when there was reportedly little between what the club was offering and what the player was asking for is a case in point. Are we hoping that he is "rotting in the reserves" too?
Simpson situation on 23:10 - Jul 26 with 1601 viewsFrimleyBlue

Tweeted tonight then deleted it

Very bizarre situation.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2022 23:12]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Simpson situation on 00:35 - Jul 27 with 1537 viewsXYZ

Simpson situation on 23:10 - Jul 26 by FrimleyBlue

Tweeted tonight then deleted it

Very bizarre situation.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2022 23:12]

Interesting employment law point here - could a "restraint of trade" type argument arise.

I suspect that football (or any professional sports) teams have an implied obligation not to damage their employee's future prospects ...
Simpson situation on 00:47 - Jul 27 with 1517 viewsVeggie

Simpson situation on 00:35 - Jul 27 by XYZ

Interesting employment law point here - could a "restraint of trade" type argument arise.

I suspect that football (or any professional sports) teams have an implied obligation not to damage their employee's future prospects ...

Or he’s simply refusing to train / play to try and force a move. He shares Ozil’s agent, which may or may not be a coincidence.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 0:57]
Simpson situation on 01:04 - Jul 27 with 1508 viewsXYZ

Simpson situation on 00:47 - Jul 27 by Veggie

Or he’s simply refusing to train / play to try and force a move. He shares Ozil’s agent, which may or may not be a coincidence.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 0:57]

I don't know any details - just musing on whether the club can actively make his career stagnate.

I suspect they need to be careful.
Simpson situation on 01:22 - Jul 27 with 1505 viewsWestcountryblue

Simpson situation on 19:12 - Jul 25 by TexacoCup

Is he training? If he stays and doesn't play for u23s what will he do, spend a year not playing?

I think the club left the door ajar at the start of preseason, but Simpson requested to train on his own.

Tyreece is on a respectable salary here at Ipswich, has had first team experience and the club have facilitated good loan moves for him.

As a lad who was very much into his athletics and rugby before joining the academy, the club took a real punt on him, as he was very raw when he first joined.

I'm pleased the club is taking a tough stance as this is Tyreece and his agents doing. He should be getting his head down, grafting and getting himself ready to head out on loan to a League 1 or 2 side. Alternatively, had he played things differently, he could've been our 3rd of 4th striker this season. Poor form all round from Tyreece and his agent. He doesn't deserve to play for the U23s.
Simpson situation on 07:36 - Jul 27 with 1343 viewsVeggie

Simpson situation on 01:04 - Jul 27 by XYZ

I don't know any details - just musing on whether the club can actively make his career stagnate.

Do you not think they might know the rules?
Simpson situation on 07:46 - Jul 27 with 1324 viewsBluebell

Simpson situation on 19:44 - Jul 25 by PhilTWTD

I'm sure it won't come to that but I don't see him playing games with any side unless there's a big change.

I assume we still have to pay him as he is on a contract.

Any idea what sort of wages he is on?
Login to get fewer ads

Simpson situation on 07:51 - Jul 27 with 1315 viewsVeggie

Simpson situation on 01:04 - Jul 27 by XYZ

Do you not think they might know the rules?
Simpson situation on 08:03 - Jul 27 with 1279 viewschicoazul

Simpson situation on 20:01 - Jul 25 by BarcaBlue

Completely agree, the bitterness is uncalled for especially without knowing all the facts and both sides of the story. Maybe he has good reason to feel aggrieved, maybe not. Gibbs leaving last Summer when there was reportedly little between what the club was offering and what the player was asking for is a case in point. Are we hoping that he is "rotting in the reserves" too?

Very strange how there was relatively little rancour and chat about attitude etc when Gibbs went to Norwich. Very strange indeed. I wonder why? What could possibly be different?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Simpson situation on 08:03 - Jul 27 with 1277 viewsPhilTWTD

Simpson situation on 07:46 - Jul 27 by Bluebell

I assume we still have to pay him as he is on a contract.

Any idea what sort of wages he is on?

Very little in the grand scheme of things.
Simpson situation on 08:06 - Jul 27 with 1257 viewsPhilTWTD

Simpson situation on 01:22 - Jul 27 by Westcountryblue

I think the club left the door ajar at the start of preseason, but Simpson requested to train on his own.

Tyreece is on a respectable salary here at Ipswich, has had first team experience and the club have facilitated good loan moves for him.

As a lad who was very much into his athletics and rugby before joining the academy, the club took a real punt on him, as he was very raw when he first joined.

I'm pleased the club is taking a tough stance as this is Tyreece and his agents doing. He should be getting his head down, grafting and getting himself ready to head out on loan to a League 1 or 2 side. Alternatively, had he played things differently, he could've been our 3rd of 4th striker this season. Poor form all round from Tyreece and his agent. He doesn't deserve to play for the U23s.

Not sure the first bit of that is true and money-wise he's on very little at present.
Simpson situation on 08:07 - Jul 27 with 1239 viewsFrimleyBlue

Simpson situation on 08:03 - Jul 27 by chicoazul

Very strange how there was relatively little rancour and chat about attitude etc when Gibbs went to Norwich. Very strange indeed. I wonder why? What could possibly be different?

Gibbs didn't tweet then delete tweets for starters. Not saying it's a big thing either. But you asked for differences.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Simpson situation on 09:00 - Jul 27 with 1214 viewsChurchman

Simpson situation on 13:23 - Jul 25 by Big_Jase

Christ you really are a bitter old fool aren’t you.

Firstly, why be abusive? Would you use those words to his face? Doubt it.

The poster is entitled to his view and actually, I think it was spot on. Ok, I may be old, but I’m neither bitter or a fool.

Obviously we don’t know the full story with Simpson, but I don’t think playing somebody because they have the strops is anything but mad. I also don’t think paying a player more because they want it is right unless they’ve earned it.

I’m no fan of Norwood, but to give him his due, despite being binned out at the start of the season he worked his way back into the team and possibly because of it got a good move at the end of the season. Similarly, Simpson should be working his backside off to get into the team and be a model professional doing it. Maybe he is doing just that - I hope so for his sake.
Simpson situation on 09:08 - Jul 27 with 1197 viewspointofblue

I said on another thread but perhaps we’ll look to use Simpson as a makeweight in a deal for a striker? If someone like Hirst is a bit out of our range at £2m we could bring the cost down slightly by adding Simpson to the negotiations.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Simpson situation on 09:13 - Jul 27 with 1175 viewsMattinLondon

I thought that Gibbs didn’t want to go and was very reluctant to go to Norwich. It was sheer incompetence from Evans - plus it was in the middle of the takeover. I may well be misremembering his situation at the time?

Regarding Simpson - hasn’t he requested a transfer?
Simpson situation on 09:18 - Jul 27 with 1161 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Simpson situation on 09:08 - Jul 27 by pointofblue

I said on another thread but perhaps we’ll look to use Simpson as a makeweight in a deal for a striker? If someone like Hirst is a bit out of our range at £2m we could bring the cost down slightly by adding Simpson to the negotiations.

He posted a tweet last night complaining that he had not been on the pitch since April, which he then quickly deleted. He’s young and needs some guidance, but I’m not sure he’s being well advised here, because whatever his agent thinks, he’s still here and he is going to rot for the next 9 months unless something changes. That realistically has to come from him, because it’s clear that the Club aren’t budging.

Poll: Our final position

Simpson situation on 09:29 - Jul 27 with 1145 viewsmarchy

Well, let's see. Gibbs, by all accounts of the situation, was asking a very small amount more than we were willing to offer, his contract was running down, he had an offer from elsewhere, and it's worked out moderately well for him.

Simpson was in the midst of a successful loan spell, and by all accounts of the situation, irrespective of whether or not he might have wanted to sign it, was refusing to even enter into a discussion with his employer about a contract extension. At the same time, it's reported, his agent was attempting to work out a deal with the club with which he was on loan. Outright unprofessional in both instances, and it's worked out terribly for him, when showing a modicum of respect for the club that's developed him might have been all it took.

Other differences, hmm...Gibbs a defender, Simpson a striker? There's obviously also what you're hinting at, but we both know you're not doing that from any position of sincerity.
Simpson situation on 09:33 - Jul 27 with 1124 viewsmarchy

Simpson situation on 09:13 - Jul 27 by MattinLondon

I thought that Gibbs didn’t want to go and was very reluctant to go to Norwich. It was sheer incompetence from Evans - plus it was in the middle of the takeover. I may well be misremembering his situation at the time?

Regarding Simpson - hasn’t he requested a transfer?

Takeover was April, he went in July - this might be a rare instance of Evans being in the clear. It was reported the difference in wage at issue was very small, but perhaps there were bigger fish to fry.
Simpson situation on 09:40 - Jul 27 with 1092 viewschicoazul

Simpson situation on 09:29 - Jul 27 by marchy

Well, let's see. Gibbs, by all accounts of the situation, was asking a very small amount more than we were willing to offer, his contract was running down, he had an offer from elsewhere, and it's worked out moderately well for him.

Simpson was in the midst of a successful loan spell, and by all accounts of the situation, irrespective of whether or not he might have wanted to sign it, was refusing to even enter into a discussion with his employer about a contract extension. At the same time, it's reported, his agent was attempting to work out a deal with the club with which he was on loan. Outright unprofessional in both instances, and it's worked out terribly for him, when showing a modicum of respect for the club that's developed him might have been all it took.

Other differences, hmm...Gibbs a defender, Simpson a striker? There's obviously also what you're hinting at, but we both know you're not doing that from any position of sincerity.

Not like there is a long storied history of that kind of thing on TWTD and at FPR for the last 40 years is there.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Simpson situation on 10:00 - Jul 27 with 1031 viewsitfc_bucks

Simpson situation on 09:08 - Jul 27 by pointofblue

You think Leicester would go for a lad who's only had one half of a decent season in League two to show for his career to date?

I suspect they'll not give a flying rats for him, to be honest.
Simpson situation on 10:37 - Jul 27 with 969 viewsMattinLondon

Simpson situation on 09:33 - Jul 27 by marchy

Takeover was April, he went in July - this might be a rare instance of Evans being in the clear. It was reported the difference in wage at issue was very small, but perhaps there were bigger fish to fry.

Oh ok. Thought it was Evans and Cook deciding against offering Gibbs better terms.
Simpson situation on 10:56 - Jul 27 with 922 viewspointofblue

Simpson situation on 10:00 - Jul 27 by itfc_bucks

You think Leicester would go for a lad who's only had one half of a decent season in League two to show for his career to date?

I suspect they'll not give a flying rats for him, to be honest.

Promising academy team player who has a record of scoring at lower level already but will be happy to accept loan deals and building his career without taking up as much of their budget as Hirst. Low risk for potential high reward. I'm not saying they would be, just we may be able to try if the outright amount Leicester want is too much for us.

Or perhaps he could be a makeweight for another side - Blackpool for Yates, for example, though they'd want a senior striker too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Simpson situation on 10:56 - Jul 27 with 921 viewsBig_Jase

Simpson situation on 09:00 - Jul 27 by Churchman

Firstly, why be abusive? Would you use those words to his face? Doubt it.

The poster is entitled to his view and actually, I think it was spot on. Ok, I may be old, but I’m neither bitter or a fool.

Obviously we don’t know the full story with Simpson, but I don’t think playing somebody because they have the strops is anything but mad. I also don’t think paying a player more because they want it is right unless they’ve earned it.

I’m no fan of Norwood, but to give him his due, despite being binned out at the start of the season he worked his way back into the team and possibly because of it got a good move at the end of the season. Similarly, Simpson should be working his backside off to get into the team and be a model professional doing it. Maybe he is doing just that - I hope so for his sake.

If I heard the same opinion been given in the outside world, then yes I would use similar words.

It’s not his opinion but they way he is wording it and telling a player to “rot in the reserves” no one on here knows the full story, and personally I am not comfortable with people wanting young players careers to be over. It comes across as bitter.

It would appear theres elements of the club failing Simpson. Perhaps he should be training better etc, but like the Gibbs situation, it doesn’t look like we as a club have handled this very well at all.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Simpson situation on 11:06 - Jul 27 with 893 viewsMattinLondon

Simpson situation on 10:56 - Jul 27 by Big_Jase

If I heard the same opinion been given in the outside world, then yes I would use similar words.

It’s not his opinion but they way he is wording it and telling a player to “rot in the reserves” no one on here knows the full story, and personally I am not comfortable with people wanting young players careers to be over. It comes across as bitter.

It would appear theres elements of the club failing Simpson. Perhaps he should be training better etc, but like the Gibbs situation, it doesn’t look like we as a club have handled this very well at all.

Most clubs have to be pragmatic in their approach to players - if a player doesn’t want to play for a club then in most cases they are transfer listed. I’m guessing that Ipswich would be the same.

Like a divorce both parties can work things out in a friendly fashion and part on good terms. If both parties are digging in or just one, then that’s where things get complicated.

I don’t see why the club should let someone go for a low offer just because a player wants to leave. Similarly if the club is holding out for a ridiculous amount then that is also unreasonable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024