Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some more writing 22:40 - Jun 21 with 1147 viewsunbelievablue

As everyone was so kind last time, I feel confident enough to share this most recent piece.

http://batflipsandnerds.com/2022/06/21/old-dogs-and-new-tricks-my-belated-attemp

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Some more writing on 22:56 - Jun 21 with 1076 views66notout

That was a good read. I have only attended one proper baseball match in my entire life, in Minneapolis more than 20 years ago, between the Twins and the Oakland Raiders, and I have never fully understood the sport or even its rules. Good luck as you continue your quest to get to grips with it and congratulations on the quality of your writing.
Some more writing on 23:37 - Jun 21 with 1040 viewsChurchman

That was good. I went to see Boston Red Sox play Anaheim Angels 30 years ago. A couple of kind Americans showed us the best place to sit, described what was going on, the rules, all of it. I really enjoyed it and was hooked. For the remainder of that trip, Baseball on tv was a compulsory watch.

It’s a really good sport with a similar feel to cricket in that when alls said and done, it’s pitcher v hitter. I wish it was shown in the U.K. in the way the NFL is - one day maybe.
Some more writing on 23:40 - Jun 21 with 1029 viewsJambo

That’s some nice writing.
Excellent stuff. Keep it up
Some more writing on 23:41 - Jun 21 with 1035 viewsIllinoisblue

Enjoyed that, nicely done. I think I mentioned before I’d fallen out of love with baseball but just this weekend went to watch a U12 game featuring my nephew on one team and a couple of kids from my footy team on the other. Sitting in the shade on a 80-degree day catching up with some old mates was quite marvelous. The pace of the game is somehow healing. My nephew started at catcher, got a hit and was having a decent day. Then he pitched and gave up a grand slam. As he said after with a smile, “first time for everything!”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Some more writing on 23:56 - Jun 21 with 1008 viewsFunge

Yeah that's good, enjoyed that.
Some more writing on 06:32 - Jun 22 with 894 viewsBluetaff

What a great piece, thanks for sharing and it is good to see that there are 'others' in the UK. Strangely got into the game after reading Eight Men Out during a long layover in Chicago, contacted the White Sox historian out of morbid curiosity and received a detailed, humble response and I've been a White Sox fan ever since.

The history is fantastic and although some of the games (!) can be a little dull, there is a strange togetherness amongst the fans that is full of nerdy energy as they trip over the mountain of statistics. Of course the US does sports entertainment better than most - the iconic Field of Dreams game between the White Sox and Yankees last year was one of the most emotionally charged sporting events I've seen and often watch it back - from the introduction with Kevin Costner to the walk-off home run from Tim Anderson...brilliant!

As for the magic of that game, the Anderson home run was the 15th walk-off home run against the Yankees in White Sox history; the first was hit by Shoeless Joe Jackson on July 20, 1919.

Blog: The National Conundrum

Some more writing on 08:05 - Jun 22 with 815 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 23:37 - Jun 21 by Churchman

That was good. I went to see Boston Red Sox play Anaheim Angels 30 years ago. A couple of kind Americans showed us the best place to sit, described what was going on, the rules, all of it. I really enjoyed it and was hooked. For the remainder of that trip, Baseball on tv was a compulsory watch.

It’s a really good sport with a similar feel to cricket in that when alls said and done, it’s pitcher v hitter. I wish it was shown in the U.K. in the way the NFL is - one day maybe.

BT Sport ESPN (part of any BT Sport package) show a game or two a night. The MLB app (which is available on some smart TVs) also has a 'free game of the day' each day, although they are usually post-midnight.

Some more writing on 08:07 - Jun 22 with 805 viewsBluetaff

Some more writing on 08:05 - Jun 22 by unbelievablue

BT Sport ESPN (part of any BT Sport package) show a game or two a night. The MLB app (which is available on some smart TVs) also has a 'free game of the day' each day, although they are usually post-midnight.

I also think there is a game of the day on YouTube every Wednesday or Thursday? The MLB highlights on YouTube are pretty good for a bitesize understanding of the game

Login to get fewer ads

Some more writing on 08:08 - Jun 22 with 805 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 23:41 - Jun 21 by Illinoisblue

Enjoyed that, nicely done. I think I mentioned before I’d fallen out of love with baseball but just this weekend went to watch a U12 game featuring my nephew on one team and a couple of kids from my footy team on the other. Sitting in the shade on a 80-degree day catching up with some old mates was quite marvelous. The pace of the game is somehow healing. My nephew started at catcher, got a hit and was having a decent day. Then he pitched and gave up a grand slam. As he said after with a smile, “first time for everything!”

Very nice.

I think you're right about the pace of the game being healing. There's something in baseball (and cricket) which is antithetical to modern society, and that's broadly a positive, though it takes some willpower to 'give in' and watch it for long periods, eschewing your phone/computer etc.

Some more writing on 08:09 - Jun 22 with 799 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 06:32 - Jun 22 by Bluetaff

What a great piece, thanks for sharing and it is good to see that there are 'others' in the UK. Strangely got into the game after reading Eight Men Out during a long layover in Chicago, contacted the White Sox historian out of morbid curiosity and received a detailed, humble response and I've been a White Sox fan ever since.

The history is fantastic and although some of the games (!) can be a little dull, there is a strange togetherness amongst the fans that is full of nerdy energy as they trip over the mountain of statistics. Of course the US does sports entertainment better than most - the iconic Field of Dreams game between the White Sox and Yankees last year was one of the most emotionally charged sporting events I've seen and often watch it back - from the introduction with Kevin Costner to the walk-off home run from Tim Anderson...brilliant!

As for the magic of that game, the Anderson home run was the 15th walk-off home run against the Yankees in White Sox history; the first was hit by Shoeless Joe Jackson on July 20, 1919.

Well said. I actually thought that Field Of Dreams game was going to be a bit of a novelty/joke/cheese-fest. But it was utterly brilliant.

Some more writing on 08:13 - Jun 22 with 792 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 08:07 - Jun 22 by Bluetaff

I also think there is a game of the day on YouTube every Wednesday or Thursday? The MLB highlights on YouTube are pretty good for a bitesize understanding of the game

And Apple TV+ has Friday Night Baseball as part of their package too now, though the broadcast leaves a lot to be desired.

As the OP says though, Sky have never covered it and it's still niche relative to the NFL.

Some more writing on 08:22 - Jun 22 with 782 viewsGuthrum

Very well written piece. Engaging and descriptive.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Some more writing on 08:23 - Jun 22 with 779 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 08:22 - Jun 22 by Guthrum

Very well written piece. Engaging and descriptive.

That means a lot. I am not worthy Guthers!

Many thanks.

Some more writing on 08:41 - Jun 22 with 760 viewsBluetaff

Some more writing on 08:13 - Jun 22 by unbelievablue

And Apple TV+ has Friday Night Baseball as part of their package too now, though the broadcast leaves a lot to be desired.

As the OP says though, Sky have never covered it and it's still niche relative to the NFL.

Indeed however it took some time for the NFL to take hold!

Some more writing on 09:32 - Jun 22 with 716 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 08:41 - Jun 22 by Bluetaff

Indeed however it took some time for the NFL to take hold!

That's true. I did think about doing a piece about the history of consuming the NFL in this country (including interviewing various people) but it's on the back-burner. Would be a longread.

Some more writing on 09:44 - Jun 22 with 700 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I still have David Wright Let's Go (New York) Mets as my background on an old laptop! All in honour of our Dave Wright who I liked before he ruined everything by coaching at Norwich.
Some more writing on 09:45 - Jun 22 with 698 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 09:44 - Jun 22 by PrideOfTheEast

I still have David Wright Let's Go (New York) Mets as my background on an old laptop! All in honour of our Dave Wright who I liked before he ruined everything by coaching at Norwich.

What a player (both).

Some more writing on 10:43 - Jun 22 with 672 viewsChurchman

Some more writing on 08:05 - Jun 22 by unbelievablue

Ta. I don’t have BT sport. Re think required! I’ll have a look for the tv app - the television is only about 18 months old and is decent.
Some more writing on 14:05 - Jun 22 with 623 viewsEwan_Oozami

Some more writing on 08:08 - Jun 22 by unbelievablue

Very nice.

I think you're right about the pace of the game being healing. There's something in baseball (and cricket) which is antithetical to modern society, and that's broadly a positive, though it takes some willpower to 'give in' and watch it for long periods, eschewing your phone/computer etc.

An American friend described baseball as being a gigantic outdoor fast food restaurant with beer and a bit of sport thrown in!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Some more writing on 14:19 - Jun 22 with 613 viewsSteve_M

The thing about good writing is that engages the reader without a great deal of interest in the subject. I enjoyed that, a few baseball terms that I have no idea what they mean but still readable regardless.

I particularly liked: "My swing resembles a hodgepodge of muscle memory and assumptions and betrays a history of other sporting misdemeanours."

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some more writing on 14:25 - Jun 22 with 595 viewsunbelievablue

Some more writing on 14:19 - Jun 22 by Steve_M

The thing about good writing is that engages the reader without a great deal of interest in the subject. I enjoyed that, a few baseball terms that I have no idea what they mean but still readable regardless.

I particularly liked: "My swing resembles a hodgepodge of muscle memory and assumptions and betrays a history of other sporting misdemeanours."

Cheers Steve.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024