Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Flames That Lick At The Shadows 09:29 - Jun 1 with 1219 viewsADStephenson

Hi all of TWTD, I just wanted to let you know that my second novel is available now on Amazon (here -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1W6FR4C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_ )
The kindle version is only 99p for the launch week (until 08/06/22) so if you feel you can spare that to help boost my chart ranking and get it more visible I'd really appreciate it.
I feel bad about posting it on here, but have found more support and effective promotion from TWTD than from anywhere else (including specific book promotion sites...)
Thanks for your support.
(Phil/Gav, feel free to pull this if you feel it is inappropriate.)

www.adstephenson.com

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 09:33 - Jun 1 with 1206 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Is this published through Amazon (i.e. self-published)? Been thinking of going that route myself as had a fair few rejections from agents. TWTD actually gets a couple of mentions in my book as well!

Anyway, good luck with it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 09:36 - Jun 1 with 1192 viewsJ2BLUE

Always been interested to know, do you actually get some sort of payment if someone has kindle unlimited and downloads your book? I have it and always wonder if i'm screwing authors over. I hope not.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 09:57 - Jun 1 with 1152 viewsMattinLondon

If you don’t mind me asking - did you know that you wanted to go down the self-publishing route when originally writing your first novel?
The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 10:04 - Jun 1 with 1129 viewsDecageBruce

Perfect timing :)

I have the 1st one downloaded for my (hopeful) Holiday in July and now I can have 2 to keep me occupied with a Mojito.

The reviews look very good so I am looking forward to it.

Good luck with further sales
The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 10:10 - Jun 1 with 1102 viewsStevieH

Good luck. The synopsis is intriguing.
I’ll have to get the first book too !
The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 13:13 - Jun 1 with 989 viewsADStephenson

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 09:33 - Jun 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Is this published through Amazon (i.e. self-published)? Been thinking of going that route myself as had a fair few rejections from agents. TWTD actually gets a couple of mentions in my book as well!

Anyway, good luck with it.

Yep, self published through Amazon. I've had a lot of agent rejections too (I somewhat suspect it's down to the lead character being a professional footballer - if I hadn't written the first as a bit of a joke with a footballer as the lead, I'd probably change that aspect for this second, much more serious, effort). I do still send off letters to agents periodically, but it's pretty repetitive, soul destroying work...

www.adstephenson.com

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 13:16 - Jun 1 with 980 viewsADStephenson

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 09:36 - Jun 1 by J2BLUE

Always been interested to know, do you actually get some sort of payment if someone has kindle unlimited and downloads your book? I have it and always wonder if i'm screwing authors over. I hope not.

Yes you do. I'm not sure how it is calculated, but I get reports telling me how many pages have been read on Kindle Unlimited and the royalties from those pages. I'm not sure if reading them twice (or more) gives extra royalties, but I would suspect not.

www.adstephenson.com

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 14:36 - Jun 1 with 951 viewsADStephenson

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 09:57 - Jun 1 by MattinLondon

If you don’t mind me asking - did you know that you wanted to go down the self-publishing route when originally writing your first novel?

When I started writing the first I didn't really expect anything to come of it and certainly wasn't thinking about publishers. As I got nearer to the end I did hope I might get it published professionally, but I've had a lot of rejections and just got impatient in the end so decided to go down the self-published route. The same is true for this one, although with it being a much better book, I hoped it might get picked up by an agent somewhere. I'm still trying on that front, but wanted to get it out while I waited (for the rejections...).

www.adstephenson.com

Login to get fewer ads

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 15:25 - Jun 1 with 916 viewsjontysnut

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 14:36 - Jun 1 by ADStephenson

When I started writing the first I didn't really expect anything to come of it and certainly wasn't thinking about publishers. As I got nearer to the end I did hope I might get it published professionally, but I've had a lot of rejections and just got impatient in the end so decided to go down the self-published route. The same is true for this one, although with it being a much better book, I hoped it might get picked up by an agent somewhere. I'm still trying on that front, but wanted to get it out while I waited (for the rejections...).

I saw an interesting thread recently by food campaigner Jack Monroe after she was accused of cashing in on her books. She reckoned that after all agents, publishers, retailers, expenses and other costs had been deducted she ended up with about 25p per copy sold. Good luck!!
The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 16:31 - Jun 1 with 881 viewsADStephenson

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 15:25 - Jun 1 by jontysnut

I saw an interesting thread recently by food campaigner Jack Monroe after she was accused of cashing in on her books. She reckoned that after all agents, publishers, retailers, expenses and other costs had been deducted she ended up with about 25p per copy sold. Good luck!!

The problem with self publishing is you have to do 100% of (or at least part for 100% of) the marketing. You get more per book, but 70% of not many sales is probably less than 25% of lots of sales. Plus traditional publishing often gets some sort of advance. Sadly, I do not, which is why I commandeer TWTD to try to raise the profile in the initial stages after release and get it higher in the rankings.

www.adstephenson.com

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 08:42 - Jun 2 with 789 viewsElephantintheRoom

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 16:31 - Jun 1 by ADStephenson

The problem with self publishing is you have to do 100% of (or at least part for 100% of) the marketing. You get more per book, but 70% of not many sales is probably less than 25% of lots of sales. Plus traditional publishing often gets some sort of advance. Sadly, I do not, which is why I commandeer TWTD to try to raise the profile in the initial stages after release and get it higher in the rankings.

Ahem. IF you’re lucky enough to get an agent and get published you still have to do your own marketing and promotion. My son got a two book deal with a major publisher on the strength of his first effort and it was down to me to book the launch party and pay for all the booze. The publishers did very little apart from printing it - they seemed to think taking a punt was job done - any shiny new author has to promote his/her own work whilst completing that second book to a tight deadline And once it’s translated any self promotion gets ever more expensive.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 10:24 - Jun 2 with 753 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Ahhh, nice! Bought :-)
The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 14:05 - Jun 2 with 706 viewsADStephenson

The Flames That Lick At The Shadows on 08:42 - Jun 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Ahem. IF you’re lucky enough to get an agent and get published you still have to do your own marketing and promotion. My son got a two book deal with a major publisher on the strength of his first effort and it was down to me to book the launch party and pay for all the booze. The publishers did very little apart from printing it - they seemed to think taking a punt was job done - any shiny new author has to promote his/her own work whilst completing that second book to a tight deadline And once it’s translated any self promotion gets ever more expensive.

Whilst I am aware of that, you do (as far as I'm aware) get help with editing etc and some sort of advance to help with such things. I would also help having an agent would help with that sort of thing as well, and although I realise you can get published without an agent it certainly seems harder.
At the moment my marketing budget is precisely zero and I have to provide any copies of my book I might like to have on hand for signing etc. Even having 100 copies printed for me would help out a bit.

www.adstephenson.com

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024