Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Archaeology nerds / Wolverstone tonight 09:17 - May 5 with 815 viewsstringy

Anyone interested in what we've been doing out at Freston on our Neolithic dig then we're burbling on about it all tonight at 19.30 at Wolverstone Berners' Hall (free).

Here's a background bit, which (a) involved me being interviewed by Deckchair Davis, and (b) shows how big the site is compared to Portman Road, so vague TWTD link...

https://shotleypeninsula.nub.news/news/local-features/freston-dig-131331

Archaeology nerds / Wolverstone tonight on 18:20 - May 5 with 662 viewsHARRY10

Seeing the huge 'iron age' forts in the south-west, I wondered what the attackers (who the fort was supposed to be built to defend against) were doing while it was being built ?

"We'll let you know when we have finished - you can't attack till then"
Archaeology nerds / Wolverstone tonight on 18:42 - May 5 with 644 viewsSwansea_Blue

Excellent. I spent a few years as both a PhD student and dragging students across East Anglia looking at various holes in the ground, quarry walls and cliff faces. We were more on the palaeoenvironmental reconstruction side, but couldn't shake off these archaeologist types hunting for bits of charcoal and odd shaped bits of flint. All very odd behaviour!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Archaeology nerds / Wolverstone tonight on 19:07 - May 5 with 628 viewsghostofescobar

I stumbled across this a couple of years back. I hail from the Shotley peninsula, so it grabbed my attention! If you look on Google Earth and go back to the image from 8/2007 you can just about make out some crop marks, to the south and south west of the feature. Actually if you go to 51°57'52.91" N 1°14'58.87" E on Google Earth and go to the image from 5/2011, you can see some amazing crop marks. You can also find out what the marks relate to by cross referencing with this website: https://historicengland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d45dabec
The evenings fly by here in Ghost Towers!!

GhostOfEscobar

Archaeology nerds / Wolverstone tonight on 10:03 - May 6 with 513 viewsleitrimblue

Archaeology nerds / Wolverstone tonight on 18:20 - May 5 by HARRY10

Seeing the huge 'iron age' forts in the south-west, I wondered what the attackers (who the fort was supposed to be built to defend against) were doing while it was being built ?

"We'll let you know when we have finished - you can't attack till then"

Recent dendrochronology results from hillforts across the South West have conclusively proved that the majority of them were constructed over the winter months. During which time the 'attackers' returned to their main residence in London. Only to be shocked on their return in the summer to find a hastily constructed hillfort has sprung up at the bottom of their garden. Completely ruining their plans for a outside bar an decking space
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024