Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poaching ITFC managers 10:51 - May 3 with 1755 viewsPique

While I don’t think there’s any chance McKenna will be going to Watford, it’s so weird to see an Ipswich manager linked to other jobs and the prospect of being poached.

I’ve supported Town for 30 years, and I don’t think it’s ever really happened in that time has it?

Burley would have been the most obvious target in the late 1990s and early 00s, particularly after the 2000/01 season and winning Manager of the Year. But it was so obvious this was his dream job that I doubt he would have ever left us, at least not unless it was something silly like the Real Madrid job. I don’t really remember any serious speculation linking him to anyone, although I could be wrong.

Apart from him, our more successful managers in my time (Lyall, Royle, McCarthy) were probably all too long in the tooth to prompt any serious interest.

Magilton never really proved himself as a manager here, although he did later get a half decent job at QPR.

And all the rest have been so terrible no one would have wanted them anyway.

Can’t have always been like this surely? Presumably Sir Bobby had suitors left right and centre trying to lure him away?
Poaching ITFC managers on 10:54 - May 3 with 1723 viewsSTYG

Exactly.

This is usually where managers come to ruin their careers. In some cases managers like Jewell who had several promotions beforehand.
Poaching ITFC managers on 10:54 - May 3 with 1723 viewspointofblue

From memory wasn’t Sir Bobby the last Ipswich manager to be poached?
Ferguson - sacked
Duncan - sacked
Lyall - stepped aside then McGiven sacked
Burley - sacked
Royle - resigned
Magilton - sacked
Keane - sacked
Jewell - sacked
McCarthy - resigned (mutual consent?)
Hurst - sacked
Lambert - sacked
Cook - sacked

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Poaching ITFC managers on 10:57 - May 3 with 1692 viewsFrimleyBlue

With Burley. Despite his successes I can't remember many clubs rumoured to be linked with him.... can anyone remember any?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Poaching ITFC managers on 10:59 - May 3 with 1673 viewsKeno

Werent Sunderland rumoured to be going to make a move for Lamburke which prompted Evans to hand him that 5 year deal?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:01 - May 3 with 1652 viewshoppy

Poaching ITFC managers on 10:59 - May 3 by Keno

Werent Sunderland rumoured to be going to make a move for Lamburke which prompted Evans to hand him that 5 year deal?

Dirty tricks maybe, to make us keep him longer term, thus removing the threat from one of their rivals?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:04 - May 3 with 1631 viewsMookamoo

Sir Bobby turned down Barcelona while he was still at Ipswich
Poaching ITFC managers on 11:06 - May 3 with 1619 viewspointofblue

Poaching ITFC managers on 10:54 - May 3 by STYG

Exactly.

This is usually where managers come to ruin their careers. In some cases managers like Jewell who had several promotions beforehand.

Jewell’s career was in trouble before he came here, after the mess he left at Derby. He didn’t do much at Wednesday prior to his Wigan spell, either.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:07 - May 3 with 1614 viewsKeno

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:04 - May 3 by Mookamoo

Sir Bobby turned down Barcelona while he was still at Ipswich

why would he have gone to a lesser club?

Login to get fewer ads

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:07 - May 3 with 1608 viewsKeno

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:01 - May 3 by hoppy

Dirty tricks maybe, to make us keep him longer term, thus removing the threat from one of their rivals?

just goes to show you cant trust northerners

Poaching ITFC managers on 11:27 - May 3 with 1535 viewsParsley

Our managers only leave for England
Poaching ITFC managers on 13:45 - May 3 with 1367 viewsElephantintheRoom

It’s more a sign of how unsuccessful the club have been for 30 years. And a latter strategy of employing unemployed gravy train riders. Burley achieved an embarrassing relegation after he joined Town, then continually lost out to lesser teams. Even promotion when it came was an anticlimax via the play offs. One year of astonishing success in the Prem - and he promptly reverted to type.

Robson was head hunted by Everton - and I seem to remember agreed to join them. Bilbao and Barcelona too came calling Last manager wanted by another club was McGarry - half a century ago.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Poaching ITFC managers on 13:53 - May 3 with 1332 viewsPique

Poaching ITFC managers on 13:45 - May 3 by ElephantintheRoom

It’s more a sign of how unsuccessful the club have been for 30 years. And a latter strategy of employing unemployed gravy train riders. Burley achieved an embarrassing relegation after he joined Town, then continually lost out to lesser teams. Even promotion when it came was an anticlimax via the play offs. One year of astonishing success in the Prem - and he promptly reverted to type.

Robson was head hunted by Everton - and I seem to remember agreed to join them. Bilbao and Barcelona too came calling Last manager wanted by another club was McGarry - half a century ago.

Bit of an odd take on Burley.

He inherited a bad team that was already on its way down when he took over in 1994/95 - not sure there was much he could do there, a big rebuild was needed.

Promotion via the play offs an anticlimax?!
Poaching ITFC managers on 14:41 - May 3 with 1245 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Wembley was a delicious day out and an anti climax it certainly was not.

Maybe a good climax might just loosen you up a tad.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Poaching ITFC managers on 15:23 - May 3 with 1174 viewsEwan_Oozami

An anticlimax would be if we had lost the Play-Off final......

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Poaching ITFC managers on 15:28 - May 3 with 1162 viewsjeera

*cough* budgie *cough*

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Poaching ITFC managers on 18:38 - May 3 with 1027 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Poaching ITFC managers on 15:28 - May 3 by jeera

*cough* budgie *cough*

You should lay off the Old Holborn for a while old fruit.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Poaching ITFC managers on 19:22 - May 3 with 991 viewsParisBlue

Robson agreed to join Everton but asked for time to tell the Cobbolds. By the time he got back to Ipswich it was all over the back pages, so he apologised to the Cobbolds, turned Everton down and signed a new contract, with the press release saying 'he would only leave for England if they came calling...'

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Poaching ITFC managers on 19:31 - May 3 with 961 viewsJohnTy

Poaching ITFC managers on 19:22 - May 3 by ParisBlue

Robson agreed to join Everton but asked for time to tell the Cobbolds. By the time he got back to Ipswich it was all over the back pages, so he apologised to the Cobbolds, turned Everton down and signed a new contract, with the press release saying 'he would only leave for England if they came calling...'

I think Manchester United would have gone for him, but he made it pretty clear he wasn't interested - he made it clear that he disapproved of the way they treated Dave Sexton.
Poaching ITFC managers on 06:58 - May 4 with 770 viewsBigCommon

Think we'll have to get used to players and staff being linked elsewhere. Especially if we have a good promotion season next season... Walton, Burns, Woolfy are 3 players that could easily step up a division, imo. (Hopefully with us)... KMc has had an impressive start and, on top of that, you'd expect that there's more to come. No doubt he'll be linked here and there, throughout his tenure at Ipswich... Flip side is, he might be given a bigger war chest by Ashton/Gamechanger, just to consolidate the project, here.... ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024