Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Career Advice 14:13 - Apr 5 with 2511 viewsJDAndCoke

Looking for any help/advice/opportunities anyone on here is able to offer...

I'm currently in a very mundane, corporate role working for a very large organisation in which I don't enjoy, don't feel valued and ultimately struggle to get motivated for every day (this is draining and is getting worse by the week).

I'm still young (30) but having always worked similar kinds of jobs I feel now is the time to look at a completely new pathway. Without a degree, opportunities are always somewhat limited and being genuinely open to almost anything, I'm at a stage where I'm not sure where to even start! This is the daunting part.

Would appreciate any help, encouragement, words of wisdom etc. Possibly someone has been in a similar position and can share experiences?
Career Advice on 22:04 - Apr 5 with 393 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Career Advice on 19:23 - Apr 5 by ArnoldMoorhen

Student grant? Where have you been for the past 30 years? There were riots over tuition fees and everything! It's very much pay to play in Higher Education.

That might possibly be when I got one of my 'being too tall' arrests.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Career Advice on 22:06 - Apr 5 with 384 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Career Advice on 19:24 - Apr 5 by Dubtractor

If you don't mind indulging me, I'll share my personal experience.

First off, I have no degree and pretty (very) mediocre A level and GCSE results.

Aged 33 I got made redundant from a half decent job (at a former ITFC sponsor), but one which I had no real engagement with and just coasted through the weeks.

I ended up applying for a job at a similar salary at my current employer, which wasn't remotely related to my old role, but for which I had enough transferable skills to tick the boxes on the 'essential skills/experience' criteria. Crucially though, the job subject matter was something that interested me, which massively helped me in the interview.

Fast forward 13/14 years and I'm in a much more senior role, earning double what I started on, and doing a job that I find genuinely engaging (despite my misgivings every Monday morning!). The key point here is that if you are a motivated person, and it sounds like you are, then if you end up in a job or organisation where you buy into what you are doing each day then there is a good chance you'll progress. If I can do it then anyone can!

Others have touched on it here, but qualification requirements are often put in job descriptions as much as anything to filter out applicants rather than with a real expectations that everyone MUST have them (obviously excepting some role specific qualifications). If you can demonstrate the skills you might pick up doing a degree through your work experience and application then that will get you over the hurdle a lot of the time. Speaking for myself, I only look at the qualifications of applicants after I've already read the rest of their application and made my mind up. For me the written part of an application is the most important part - I want to see someone show how much the role appeals to them as much as I want them to trot out their last 5/10 years of work activity. Obviously it is important to sell yourself - but do it in the context of the role you're applying for. That sounds obvious, but so many applications I see fail badly at doing just that.

So in summary, don't worry about your lack of degree (this goes to J2 too), find roles that appeal to you where you think you have the skills and experience to tick off 70%+ of the requirements, and then get your applications written.

Rubbish!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Career Advice on 22:25 - Apr 5 with 352 viewsDubtractor

Career Advice on 22:06 - Apr 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Rubbish!

Boom!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Career Advice on 20:31 - Apr 6 with 257 viewsJDAndCoke

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to share personal experiences and advice on this thread. It is greatly appreciated and has given me a lot to think about.

I think the key take-away is to think about the subject matter of my next role and ensure it's something I have a genuine interest in.

Any other advice or opinions welcomed. Otherwise thanks again TWTD family!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024