Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stories with Town players 13:44 - Mar 18 with 4887 viewshype313

A couple spring to mind.

One was when you were able to watch training having spent time at Alderman Road, I remember a Mich D'Avray volley driving straight into my face as I was 20 yards away and Bobby Ferguson coming up and saying "You would have been safer stood in goal son"

The other was whilst working at a Bar in town one Monday lunchtime Marcus came in, got chatting about the Tuesday night game against Utd, and I said I would love to go but didn't have a ticket, he said "Here you go, this was supposed to be for the Mother in Law, but I'd rather you take it" Legend.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 13:57 - Mar 18 with 2815 viewsBloots

....a grande latte in Starbucks on Miami South Beach.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Stories with Town players on 13:58 - Mar 18 with 2821 viewsmonty_radio

When I was about 14 two Town players (for the "A" team i.e. the reserve reserves) came over the park and joined in a game. They both subsequently featured for Newmarket; their names were Dave Fordham and Mick Denton.

We couldn't get the ball off them. It was an early lesson in there being class, and then higher class, and then higher still.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 13:59 - Mar 18 with 2811 viewsKeno

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 13:57 - Mar 18 by Bloots

I met Mick McCarthy at Dublin airport once

I said 'hello', he ignored me

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 14:00 - Mar 18 with 2802 viewsKieran_Knows

Loved that bloke, what a player.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 14:00 - Mar 18 with 2799 viewshoppy

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 13:59 - Mar 18 by Keno

I met Mick McCarthy at Dublin airport once

I said 'hello', he ignored me

Sir Bobby had probably already warned him to watch out for you, given his previous instruction to you, years ago.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Sylvain Legwinski bought me.... on 14:02 - Mar 18 with 2790 viewsEJP

Tenuous link as he never actually played for us, but sat by a pool in Cyprus discussing the private life of Patrice Evra (story in the press about him having Man U staff doing minor domestic maintenance)
with Nick Colgan - Mrs.Colgan complaining he was yet to replace a bulb in the bathroom at home.

Bumped into Pablo at Flatford Mill - daughter having just spent a night there with the school was able to explain the history of the place, if he wanted it or not.

Ivan Campo cut me up on the roundabout by the ski-slope that goes down to the A14…
Stories with Town players on 14:06 - Mar 18 with 2757 viewsMattinLondon

I remember being in the Great White Horse hotel - back in the day there used to be an indie night there. On one Saturday night a few Town players were walking past and a lot of us were chanting Blue Army loud at them. To which they started dancing on the pavement. It was definitely Marcus Stewart and Richard Naylor. Can’t remember the other two players who were there.

Tarricco stopped to have a chat with me and my dad and was absolutely charming. In the next breath he saw the away coach pull into the ground and his facial expression switched to wanting to kill someone.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2022 20:42]
Stories with Town players on 14:08 - Mar 18 with 2743 viewsusm

Saw Marcus 3 times whilst on a weekend in Prague - once in some square, once in a club where I had a "dance" with him and then at the airport. Top bloke, took time out to talk to us each time - he was there with his Huddersfield mates, who he reckons had dumped him

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

Stories with Town players on 14:15 - Mar 18 with 2693 viewsBluePG

James Scowcroft bought me a beer once at a pub next to Bromley Station when he was at Palace.

That’s all.

Poll: Best Dane?

Stories with Town players on 14:16 - Mar 18 with 2685 viewsBiGDonnie

My brother had a verbal slanging match with big Mick whilst he was playing football against his son.

Mick was having none of it.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Stories with Town players on 14:22 - Mar 18 with 2667 viewsBiGDonnie

Stories with Town players on 14:15 - Mar 18 by BluePG

James Scowcroft bought me a beer once at a pub next to Bromley Station when he was at Palace.

That’s all.

I'm literally at Bromley South station now, reckon he's still there?

Was it the Weatherspoon's? I'm going to look for him.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Stories with Town players on 14:27 - Mar 18 with 2620 viewsblueislander

Stories with Town players on 14:16 - Mar 18 by BiGDonnie

My brother had a verbal slanging match with big Mick whilst he was playing football against his son.

Mick was having none of it.

I played in the same primary school team as Tom Garney’s son Colin. He would occasionally come and watch, and shout words of encouragement to us.
Stories with Town players on 14:38 - Mar 18 with 2594 viewsDJR

I was doing "bob-a-job" in the late 60s and knocked on the door of a house on Broke Hall Estate to be met by an Ipswich player who lived there. I think it may have been Colin Harper but I'm not exactly sure with the passage of time. What it does show is how much closer players were in those days to ordinary people.
Stories with Town players on 14:39 - Mar 18 with 2590 viewsIllinoisblue

Two crackers there. Shades of Redknapp/burchill with the first one. A group of us were in Helsingor for pre-season around 2002 or 2003 and Joe Royle was kind enough to pose for a photo after the game. Told us we could sing what we liked but didn’t care for the fat in Big Fat Joe’s Barmy Army.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Stories with Town players on 14:44 - Mar 18 with 2572 viewsleftback

Chris kiwomya told me to foxtrot oscar outside that bar that used to be at the bottom of the walk - I was probably being a knob. Gary Croft was also in there that night

Me and nabil abadullah pulled a couple of birds on the dance floor in liquid one night, I was more interested talking ITFC with him!
Stories with Town players on 14:49 - Mar 18 with 2534 viewsIllinoisblue

Stories with Town players on 14:44 - Mar 18 by leftback

Chris kiwomya told me to foxtrot oscar outside that bar that used to be at the bottom of the walk - I was probably being a knob. Gary Croft was also in there that night

Me and nabil abadullah pulled a couple of birds on the dance floor in liquid one night, I was more interested talking ITFC with him!

Do today’s yoof still pull birds on nightclub dance floors? Do night clubs still exist? Or are liaisons all arranged over Snapchat now?

62 - 78 - 81

Stories with Town players on 16:01 - Mar 18 with 2362 viewsfarkenhell

Stories with Town players on 14:49 - Mar 18 by Illinoisblue

Do today’s yoof still pull birds on nightclub dance floors? Do night clubs still exist? Or are liaisons all arranged over Snapchat now?

Not relating to a player, but in the summer of '78 Town held an open day at FPR (including the FA Cup on display). Fans were allowed to wander around the ground, including the changing rooms, kit room, boardroom, that sort of thing. All the kids, including your truly, were after autographs from the players who were in attendance. Half-way round and I was standing on an indoor 5-a-side astro pitch, which I think was underneath one of the stands. Suddenly SBR appeared and was immediately surrounded by a swathe of jostling children waving autograph sheets etc. To which SBR shouted "No, no, no, I'm not signing anything until you line up here, behind..." [looking around] "...this boy" and he touched me on the shoulder. I felt 10 feet tall. According to my old man, I didn't stop grinning like a cheshire cat for the rest of the day!
Stories with Town players on 16:07 - Mar 18 with 2337 viewshoppy

Stories with Town players on 14:49 - Mar 18 by Illinoisblue

There seems to now be a new layer to the process called 'We're just 'talking' - that doesn't necessarily mean talking but apparently is a lower commitment to being in a relationship as such.

Stories with Town players on 16:09 - Mar 18 with 2325 viewsIllinoisblue

Stories with Town players on 16:01 - Mar 18 by farkenhell

Not relating to a player, but in the summer of '78 Town held an open day at FPR (including the FA Cup on display). Fans were allowed to wander around the ground, including the changing rooms, kit room, boardroom, that sort of thing. All the kids, including your truly, were after autographs from the players who were in attendance. Half-way round and I was standing on an indoor 5-a-side astro pitch, which I think was underneath one of the stands. Suddenly SBR appeared and was immediately surrounded by a swathe of jostling children waving autograph sheets etc. To which SBR shouted "No, no, no, I'm not signing anything until you line up here, behind..." [looking around] "...this boy" and he touched me on the shoulder. I felt 10 feet tall. According to my old man, I didn't stop grinning like a cheshire cat for the rest of the day!

Superb from Sir Bob. And you can totally picture - and hear - him doing that. We were blessed with a great one.

62 - 78 - 81

Stories with Town players on 16:12 - Mar 18 with 2310 viewshype313

Stories with Town players on 16:09 - Mar 18 by Illinoisblue

Superb from Sir Bob. And you can totally picture - and hear - him doing that. We were blessed with a great one.

Where as for us at a certain vintage that's known as being in the dog house

Stories with Town players on 16:13 - Mar 18 with 2299 viewshype313

Stories with Town players on 16:12 - Mar 18 by hype313

Meant to reply to Hoppy

Stories with Town players on 16:15 - Mar 18 with 2288 viewshoppy

Stories with Town players on 16:12 - Mar 18 by hype313

Well, it now appears to mean there may be extra visitors in your house on occasions, but that they're not 'an item' because they're just 'talking'...

Stories with Town players on 17:20 - Mar 18 with 2146 viewsSharkey

Brian Talbot was my school football coach when I was eleven. He always said 'good skills, fella'. Which wasn't true.
Stories with Town players on 17:32 - Mar 18 with 2116 viewsBluespeed225

Not me directly, but my Mum. In late summer 78’ a large brown envelope addressed to a 12 year old me came through the door. Opened it, answered inside was a black and white pre season press shot of the 78/9 squad with the Cup. Mum smiles, and says ‘didn’t think that would happen’. Anyway, she was a traffic warden, old school type back then, she’s ticketing a car, who comes running across the road from a shop, Brian Talbot. He’s all ‘please, I was only 2 minutes’, so she was, ‘ok, tickets not written, send my son something’. I still have the photo.
Stories with Town players on 17:45 - Mar 18 with 2100 viewsPhilTWTD

Stories with Town players on 16:01 - Mar 18 by farkenhell

The gym, which would then have been new, is up behind Churchman's. Was being used to store stuff last time I was in it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024