Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That’s what you get isn’t it? 21:12 - Nov 20 with 3222 viewsMullet

It was a big call to stick with young Bailey for a third game on the bounce. It was a big call to put Mcgeady on him after an hour or so, but somehow we got outthought by a manager with all the intelligence of stuff you’d scrape from under your toenails. As well as all the form of a binbag of sick.

How we battered them and didn’t score in that first half I’ll never know. Edwards looked destined to score today and deserved to. Celina on the other hand seemed to channelling his inner Johnson when it came to decisions. All bubble and no bang for our champagne superstar. We gave a keeper so shaky a triple save when it looked easier to score, we got past their full backs so easily we went back and did it thrice to make sure it wasn’t a trap, far far too often.

The first goal looked a little weak from Walton. The penalty looked he stuck his arm up but I’ve no idea from an aerial shot in real time what was going through Nsialas head or the refs. Sunderland never pressed Nono today as they realised his boots were actually civil war muskets and they’d just pick up the play by giving him no options. The fridge was the polar opposite megging players and recycling play but whatever good he and morsy did in the spine the closest vertebrae never clicked did they?

I have no idea what Piggott is meant to do when he gets no service after Bonne was removed for having marginally more. There’s so much talent and nice little touches in this squad, but we’ve got all the killer instinct of a neutered Labrador after a long walk. Baffling.

At times we seemed to have some glittering triangles of play, but somehow the Black Cats get the cream and we remain football dairylea. Abysmal stuff. Abysmal result. When it never needed be.

We are going to struggle to make the playoffs if we can only take wins when those above us hand them to us. When they realise how easy it is to stand us up like the lesser more tightly packed teams do, we are in massive trouble.

Time to break the cycle of boom and bust and start grinding and managing games.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:16 - Nov 20 with 2688 viewspointofblue

Grinding and managing games? Isn't that what He Who Must Not Be Named was sacked for?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:17 - Nov 20 with 2667 viewsMullet

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:16 - Nov 20 by pointofblue

Grinding and managing games? Isn't that what He Who Must Not Be Named was sacked for?

Being good at management? Apparently not. It was reasons and stuff.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:18 - Nov 20 with 2650 viewsEireannach_gorm

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:16 - Nov 20 by pointofblue

Grind out games we play badly in and thrash teams we play well in.
That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:18 - Nov 20 with 2650 viewsMullet

Just seen the penalty. Absolutely not one. I feel sorry for him there.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:22 - Nov 20 with 2611 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:18 - Nov 20 by Mullet

Think the ref must have seen half time highlights and decided he got that one wrong.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:23 - Nov 20 with 2604 viewsMullet

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:22 - Nov 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Think the ref must have seen half time highlights and decided he got that one wrong.

I meant the one he gave. The first half one he bottled booking a clear dive.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:31 - Nov 20 with 2549 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:23 - Nov 20 by Mullet

I meant the one he gave. The first half one he bottled booking a clear dive.

I know and agree. Their commentators were convinced the first half one was a penalty mind you.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:49 - Nov 20 with 2426 viewsMoggasknockdown

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:17 - Nov 20 by Mullet

Being good at management? Apparently not. It was reasons and stuff.

Being brittle under a moments pressure is a very Ipswich Town trait, and this team love a self- destruct button. Some will attribute that to ‘newness’ others to some fairly basic coaching- im not sure you can read much into today other than a lack of conviction in the attacking play. I struggle with the obsession with Celina- lots of promise but lacks conviction when it matters. Would much rather him wide left instead of Edwards if he has to play with Chaplin in the number 10. We flatter to deceive sometimes and our inconsistency will probably see us struggle to make the top six IMO, which is a criminal waste of a decent, hand-picked squad and represents failure. I fear for us over the next few games- we are starting to look a little devoid of ideas going forward, much more tentative and predictable than we have been. Not sure I fancy much on Tuesday night- 7 points adrift is not insurmountable, but I do worry about the teams ability to grind out points, as you say.

Blog: I Take Your Point

Login to get fewer ads

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:53 - Nov 20 with 2394 viewsMullet

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:49 - Nov 20 by Moggasknockdown

Being brittle under a moments pressure is a very Ipswich Town trait, and this team love a self- destruct button. Some will attribute that to ‘newness’ others to some fairly basic coaching- im not sure you can read much into today other than a lack of conviction in the attacking play. I struggle with the obsession with Celina- lots of promise but lacks conviction when it matters. Would much rather him wide left instead of Edwards if he has to play with Chaplin in the number 10. We flatter to deceive sometimes and our inconsistency will probably see us struggle to make the top six IMO, which is a criminal waste of a decent, hand-picked squad and represents failure. I fear for us over the next few games- we are starting to look a little devoid of ideas going forward, much more tentative and predictable than we have been. Not sure I fancy much on Tuesday night- 7 points adrift is not insurmountable, but I do worry about the teams ability to grind out points, as you say.

I think most of your post is exactly why we can read so much into today. It’s got all the elements of Cooks time here.

Ultimately without the actual upturn rather than just the promise of it, this season has been fairly indefensible. We’ve looked nowhere near a top side, let alone a contender.

We are reduced to people pretending sneaking the playoffs is strategic. It’s going to need one hell of a crescendo to our 2021 to sort us out. Changing games when they’re not working for us is going to have to improve quickly.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:56 - Nov 20 with 2372 viewshype313

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:53 - Nov 20 by Mullet

I think most of your post is exactly why we can read so much into today. It’s got all the elements of Cooks time here.

Ultimately without the actual upturn rather than just the promise of it, this season has been fairly indefensible. We’ve looked nowhere near a top side, let alone a contender.

We are reduced to people pretending sneaking the playoffs is strategic. It’s going to need one hell of a crescendo to our 2021 to sort us out. Changing games when they’re not working for us is going to have to improve quickly.

Think we have to realise we will be looking at another year in League One, bar a remarkable, consistent run of form, for which we just haven't shown so far. And the goals have started to dry out.

Saying that, we'll probably beat Rotherham on Tuesday to then lose to Crewe.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:07 - Nov 20 with 2315 viewsMoggasknockdown

Yes, you are probably right. More evidence needed to show that this team can grasp a moment or turn the tide. We are neat and tidy and easy on the eye, but those traits do not get you out of this league. I suppose my biggest gripe with Cook is the ‘if plan A fails do plan A better’. It is passive and predictable, and very easy to play against. There are lots who feel we will get it right based on his previous record, or the promise of a few good results- the black and white of it is that our start is so poor that it requires a ruthlessness for the rest of the season I am yet to see. Still, plenty of time left and return fixtures against all of these clubs. We are into the 2nd third of the season, and must start to pick up 2 points per game on average from here- I’m not sure we can, but it starts with a dog of a fixture on Tuesday.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:09 - Nov 20 with 2299 viewsOsborneOneNil

I missed today but I read that we missed 3 very good chances in the first half. So, individual failure (Celina) arguably denies us a well deserved (so I read based on the 85 mins) win away to a promotion contender.

Had we scored 1 or 2 and won, what then? You’d speak of us quite differently. Yes, we didn’t score or win, but…Celina should’ve made that happen.

Are you being a bit dramatic? Quite possibly.
That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:13 - Nov 20 with 2261 viewsMullet

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:09 - Nov 20 by OsborneOneNil

I missed today but I read that we missed 3 very good chances in the first half. So, individual failure (Celina) arguably denies us a well deserved (so I read based on the 85 mins) win away to a promotion contender.

Had we scored 1 or 2 and won, what then? You’d speak of us quite differently. Yes, we didn’t score or win, but…Celina should’ve made that happen.

We didn’t win.

This constant If mentality is so bizarre. We are 10th. Yes if we ignore defeats or turn them into unicorns and rainbows everything is great.

But fans need to deal with reality and facts too. Most of us do it seems. There’s no drama in the truth.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:13 - Nov 20 with 2249 viewsMullet

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:56 - Nov 20 by hype313

Think we have to realise we will be looking at another year in League One, bar a remarkable, consistent run of form, for which we just haven't shown so far. And the goals have started to dry out.

Saying that, we'll probably beat Rotherham on Tuesday to then lose to Crewe.

If he can’t get us up he can’t stay. That’s Lambert territory isn’t it?

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:16 - Nov 20 with 2217 viewsMullet

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:07 - Nov 20 by Moggasknockdown

Yes, you are probably right. More evidence needed to show that this team can grasp a moment or turn the tide. We are neat and tidy and easy on the eye, but those traits do not get you out of this league. I suppose my biggest gripe with Cook is the ‘if plan A fails do plan A better’. It is passive and predictable, and very easy to play against. There are lots who feel we will get it right based on his previous record, or the promise of a few good results- the black and white of it is that our start is so poor that it requires a ruthlessness for the rest of the season I am yet to see. Still, plenty of time left and return fixtures against all of these clubs. We are into the 2nd third of the season, and must start to pick up 2 points per game on average from here- I’m not sure we can, but it starts with a dog of a fixture on Tuesday.

The problem is how much more do we need to improve to make top 2? Too much it seems

Top six? More than we’ve seen already in recent weeks. Doable but we are losing more then just games too easily, it’s ground too.

You can expect one team to fall away like we did, but when does it become 2,3,4 or more to allow us to step in?

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:20 - Nov 20 with 2168 viewspatrickswell

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 21:18 - Nov 20 by Mullet

Referring rule 269 sub section 3: Toto Nsiala can have penalties given against him for:
-Serious foul play.
–Handball (deliberate and accidental)
-Coughing
-Breaking wind
-Blinking
-Being in the penalty area....at all.
That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:30 - Nov 20 with 2093 viewsMoggasknockdown

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:16 - Nov 20 by Mullet

The problem is how much more do we need to improve to make top 2? Too much it seems

Top six? More than we’ve seen already in recent weeks. Doable but we are losing more then just games too easily, it’s ground too.

You can expect one team to fall away like we did, but when does it become 2,3,4 or more to allow us to step in?

Yes, the top six is the only realistic aim it seems. A really tough few fixtures coming up, but that 2 PPG is the aim. For me, a Win on Tuesday will settle that worry that Wycombe and Portsmouth were outlier results, hard to see after losing to a pretty brittle and fragile team today, and considering how effective Rotherham are at this level.

Still lots of games and points to play for, but evidence of improvement in situations like today and Plymouth to get a point or three when on too, is critical to our seasons success.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:55 - Nov 20 with 1954 viewsHerbivore

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:13 - Nov 20 by Mullet

If he can’t get us up he can’t stay. That’s Lambert territory isn’t it?

We're not all that far from Lambert territory now if we take the emotion out of it. Cook's free hit was last season, surely? And he swung and missed. This has been a poor almost half season despite receiving incredible backing from the new owners and the fans. Perhaps he will turn it around and form will improve sufficiently that we'll make the play offs and win them, but I don't know how anyone can feel confident about that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 07:13 - Nov 21 with 1548 viewsBlueBadger

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:09 - Nov 20 by OsborneOneNil

Yet another 'we just didn't score..' result would be a lot easier to take if we hadn't hamstrung our selves at the start of the season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 07:15 - Nov 21 with 1533 viewsBlueBadger

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 22:55 - Nov 20 by Herbivore

We're not all that far from Lambert territory now if we take the emotion out of it. Cook's free hit was last season, surely? And he swung and missed. This has been a poor almost half season despite receiving incredible backing from the new owners and the fans. Perhaps he will turn it around and form will improve sufficiently that we'll make the play offs and win them, but I don't know how anyone can feel confident about that.

Given the amount of leeway he was afforded by both owner and fans compared to actual results, Lambert's entire Town career was a free hit mate.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 07:17 - Nov 21 with 1517 viewsHerbivore

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 07:15 - Nov 21 by BlueBadger

Given the amount of leeway he was afforded by both owner and fans compared to actual results, Lambert's entire Town career was a free hit mate.

True, although so has Cook's so far.......

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 07:25 - Nov 21 with 1484 viewsBlueBadger

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 07:17 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

True, although so has Cook's so far.......

Truth.

I'm quite enjoying all the more hardcore cultists starting to claim that it's a long term project, despite the self-evident truth that should we fail to achieve promotion a)Cook will almost certainly go and b) so would a whole swathe of our better players (both permanent and loanees) meaning we'd have to start another 'long term build' next season.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 09:59 - Nov 21 with 1273 viewsMullet

I think it’s pretty telling some of those voices are conspicuously absent now. We seem to be missing the fundamentals you need to succeed in this league, organisation, grit and familiarity and are relying on talent alone to drag us through.

That might be why we are so stop-start.

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 10:09 - Nov 21 with 1221 viewsSteve_M

We can’t build any sort of momentum, look at how badly we’ve followed up an excellent win at Wycombe, and without that we can’t recover from the poor start.

Four points from 12 against sides at the top of the league, we probably had the better of the last two league matches and didn’t manage a goal. I fully expect about 70% possession and a 2-0 defeat on Tuesday but we need to win that (and Crewe) because we’re falling away again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

That’s what you get isn’t it? on 10:17 - Nov 21 with 1187 viewsTangledupin_Blue

We need a coach who will spend hours per week drilling the defence in the way Burley did 20-odd years ago. A reliable defence would give our attacking talent more confidence to drive forward. Instead our defence is, too often, at sixes and sevens; teams know that, if they get at us, there will be mistakes. How many times have we led but failed to win? Someone remind me... who is our defensive coach?

We need a manager who can galvanise a group of very talented players (at this level) who, had they been playing anywhere close to their potential, would be top of the table or thereabouts. Similarly, if we were better at holding on to a lead we'd be clear at the top. We need a manager who has more than one arrow in his quiver during matches; a manager who is capable of switching things around to, either alter our attacking options when they are not working or simply to hold on to a lead.

Paul Cook, either through stubbornness or incompetence (or both) is falling well short.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024