Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HRH 10:51 - Nov 14 with 6179 viewschicoazul

Not at the Cenotaph today.
Feels like 2021 is going for the big finish here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not sure it's similar really.... on 09:31 - Nov 15 with 648 viewschicoazul

Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:56 - Nov 15 by Pinewoodblue

Not a royalist, as such, but shudder at the thought of a ‘modern republic’ which model do we follow USA, EU, or some tinpot republic in Africa or Asia?

This is always the answer to Republicans. They think they’ll end up with some benevolent Corbyn type President and a senate, House of Representatives etc.
These people learn nothing from history, not even recent history.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Not sure it's similar really.... on 11:54 - Nov 15 with 563 viewsXYZ

Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:33 - Nov 15 by Durovigutum

Anti free speech or being free to be rude and disrespectful? It's this sort of thing that loses "the left" support. Conservative values (not what is in government now) is strongly focused on family probably at the behest of wider society. When Thatcher died it was "distasteful" to see "the witch is dead" parties just as it would be distasteful to see anti-monarchy protests on the day of the Queen's funeral. Fine, make a case for a modern Republic a few weeks later (I'm fairly sure most of the commonwealth will remove the UK monarch as their head of state in the months/years following), but not on the day and especially not in a country that leans centre-right - it just alienates people.

Free speech is objectively definable. "Rude and disrespectful" are very much subjective.

When Thatcher died it was perfectly understandable that there was some protest. She deliberately destroyed certain communities forever for political reasons. Still no Orgreave enquiry ... Section 28? are those who were directly affected by that evil piece of legislation not allowed to air their views? Or just at a time and place that suits you?

I very much doubt there will be much or any disruption when it's ER's time. Inventing such future disruption to get angry on the internet on a wet November Sunday is a bit weird IMO.
HRH on 12:01 - Nov 15 with 549 viewssolemio

The leading expert on this country's constitution, Prof Vernon Bogdanor, says that clearly if we were starting from scratch we would not come up with an hereditary monarchy. However, he feels certain that although it is far from perfect it is better than any type of presidential alternative. He clearly agrees with chicoazul!
Not sure it's similar really.... on 12:03 - Nov 15 with 539 viewsXYZ

Not sure it's similar really.... on 09:31 - Nov 15 by chicoazul

This is always the answer to Republicans. They think they’ll end up with some benevolent Corbyn type President and a senate, House of Representatives etc.
These people learn nothing from history, not even recent history.

The Irish and German models seem to work.

But you're correct, that is always the response to republicans. It's just not a very honest one.

It's not a choice between King Charlie and President Len McClusky.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 12:04 - Nov 15 with 536 viewschicoazul

Not sure it's similar really.... on 12:03 - Nov 15 by XYZ

The Irish and German models seem to work.

But you're correct, that is always the response to republicans. It's just not a very honest one.

It's not a choice between King Charlie and President Len McClusky.

“These people learn nothing from history”

HRH on 18:51 - Nov 17 with 358 viewsOldboy

She seems in pretty good health today.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 18:58 - Nov 17 with 346 viewsDanTheMan

Not sure it's similar really.... on 12:04 - Nov 15 by chicoazul

“These people learn nothing from history”

There have been many, many terrible monarchs over the course of history.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024