Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evolution and Build from the Back 12:48 - Nov 2 with 1214 viewsrevdrb

Rarely do I ever post, but I feel frustrated right now.

My instinct is that when PC arrived the better approach would have been to evolve the squad and to build from the back.

I think we were fairly solid defensively last season - why not build from there as a base?

I think PC has put himself under unnecessary pressure by taking the demolition approach.

The team going forward is much more exciting however the team defensively is weaker.

Hoping this side of things improves.
I found Saturday's result incredibly frustrating!

Evolution and Build from the Back on 12:53 - Nov 2 with 1179 viewsStokieBlue

Is it that simple though?

Were we solid defensively because we barely committed to attack? I'd say there is a lot in that and thus if you maintain that defensive posture you can't be as good going forward.

I don't think the team particularly defensively weaker, I think they are more attacking minded.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Evolution and Build from the Back on 12:59 - Nov 2 with 1138 viewsrevdrb

Evolution and Build from the Back on 12:53 - Nov 2 by StokieBlue

Is it that simple though?

Were we solid defensively because we barely committed to attack? I'd say there is a lot in that and thus if you maintain that defensive posture you can't be as good going forward.

I don't think the team particularly defensively weaker, I think they are more attacking minded.

SB

It's such a difficult balance isn't it - I loved Joe Royal's team from an attacking perspective.

I think Burley over time got the balance absolutely right.
We probably are not that far away right now - but we just seem a bit soft
Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:17 - Nov 2 with 1090 viewsfranz_tyson

Got no problem with Cook’s attack policy. When it works, it’s great to watch. It’s just frustrating that we’ve got a soft underbelly. Also got no problem with Cook taking apart the squad as players needed to move and/or they wouldn’t fit into his system.

I think we haven’t quite nailed it in the transfer market. Squad a bit lop-sided and on the soft side. I’d prefer a couple more hardened players in the squad. Especially at CB or midfield. I have a feeling we’ll need a second transfer window.
As previously mentioned, we looked more solid last year because we weren’t attack-minded and play was generally slower and we could get more behind the ball.
Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:23 - Nov 2 with 1050 viewsBlueBadger

Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:17 - Nov 2 by franz_tyson

Got no problem with Cook’s attack policy. When it works, it’s great to watch. It’s just frustrating that we’ve got a soft underbelly. Also got no problem with Cook taking apart the squad as players needed to move and/or they wouldn’t fit into his system.

I think we haven’t quite nailed it in the transfer market. Squad a bit lop-sided and on the soft side. I’d prefer a couple more hardened players in the squad. Especially at CB or midfield. I have a feeling we’ll need a second transfer window.
As previously mentioned, we looked more solid last year because we weren’t attack-minded and play was generally slower and we could get more behind the ball.

The Lambert Walk was not a style of play that encourage attacking play, creativity or the will to live.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:31 - Nov 2 with 1038 viewsrevdrb

Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:17 - Nov 2 by franz_tyson

I don't know enough about PC's previous teams at Portsmouth and Wigan but do we know if they had a similar issues? I completely agree re your comments regarding transfer window and hardened players.
Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:44 - Nov 2 with 1003 viewsfranz_tyson

Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:31 - Nov 2 by revdrb

I don't know enough about PC's previous teams at Portsmouth and Wigan but do we know if they had a similar issues? I completely agree re your comments regarding transfer window and hardened players.

There’s been criticism of his lack of Plan B. Generally, they seem to be happy with his time there as he’s got them promotion.
I think at Pompey he had a period where things weren’t progressing quickly enough, but he got them motoring eventually.
Last season at Wigan in the Championship, they were struggling early on, but then put in an amazing run after Christmas to finish mid-table (before being relegated with points deduction). Can’t say I followed his time at Pompey and Wigan.
I’m just hoping if he’s only got a Plan A, then it’s a seriously good one.
Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:52 - Nov 2 with 983 viewsGarv

I keep seeing that we were solid, and while we were more solid than we are now, it's a debatable point. Either way, I don't think you can compare the two situations when you look at our attacking output now.

As Cook is very open about, it's all about the attacking intent and scoring goals. Had we been so good in attack last season I don't imagine we'd have been so 'solid' at the back.

If we're not going to be successful I'd rather it be because we concede goals rather than because we can't score any ourselves.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:56 - Nov 2 with 974 viewsitfcjoe

Cook has basically had 8 full seasons in football - and defensivekly they are normally pretty good.

Worst defence is 64 goals, with newly promoted WIgan who he finished in 18th in the Championship, 56 and 55 when he overperformed with Wigan in Champ getting them to top half before deduction and getting Chesterfield to play offs in League 1.

Other than that it's been between 40-45, bar one incredible season at Wigan where they conceded 29 goals

We are currently on track to conced 74, it's very much the outlier and whilst there will always be games where you have a shocker like Bolton, it's constantly conceding 2 goals in each game that is the problem - has now happened in 9 of our 15 league games - that simply has to stop

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:13 - Nov 2 with 927 viewsrevdrb

Evolution and Build from the Back on 13:56 - Nov 2 by itfcjoe

Cook has basically had 8 full seasons in football - and defensivekly they are normally pretty good.

Worst defence is 64 goals, with newly promoted WIgan who he finished in 18th in the Championship, 56 and 55 when he overperformed with Wigan in Champ getting them to top half before deduction and getting Chesterfield to play offs in League 1.

Other than that it's been between 40-45, bar one incredible season at Wigan where they conceded 29 goals

We are currently on track to conced 74, it's very much the outlier and whilst there will always be games where you have a shocker like Bolton, it's constantly conceding 2 goals in each game that is the problem - has now happened in 9 of our 15 league games - that simply has to stop

So with this in mind, it seems then the issue is not with the system or with his attacking style based on his previous teams.
I guess it is something else more specific to this team this year.
Is it that we haven't quite clicked yet or that we haven't quite got all the jigsaw pieces yet?
Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:18 - Nov 2 with 901 viewsStokieBlue

"it's constantly conceding 2 goals in each game that is the problem - has now happened in 9 of our 15 league games - that simply has to stop"

I think we also need to add a little context to this stat. It happened in all of our first 6 games so that skews the statistic. If we take the next 9 games from your stat it shows that it's happened in 3 out of 9 games. Not ideal but does point towards a trend that it is stopping.

Would be nice to concede no goals in most matches of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:45 - Nov 2 with 842 viewspennblue

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:13 - Nov 2 by revdrb

So with this in mind, it seems then the issue is not with the system or with his attacking style based on his previous teams.
I guess it is something else more specific to this team this year.
Is it that we haven't quite clicked yet or that we haven't quite got all the jigsaw pieces yet?

JD, Coulson and Edmudson look decent.

But we need one of Wolfie, Toto or Burgess to take that 2nd centre back shirt and make it their own. If neither can make it their shirt, then we need to go back into the Transfer market in January so get this sorted.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:57 - Nov 2 with 813 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:45 - Nov 2 by pennblue

But we need one of Wolfie, Toto or Burgess to take that 2nd centre back shirt and make it their own. If neither can make it their shirt, then we need to go back into the Transfer market in January so get this sorted.

We don't need to be going back to the market for another CB.

Cook should be able to find a good solution in one of those 3. Likely Toto.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Evolution and Build from the Back on 15:27 - Nov 2 with 752 viewspatrickswell

I’ll sound like a broken record I know, but in all those other jobs he had Leam Richardson alongside him.

Wigan have conceded 11 goals in the league so far this season, we’ve conceded 24.
Wigan have scored 27 goals, just 3 less than us.

Not being able to persuade Richardson to join him here may very well be the thing which Cook ends up ruing. Without him, he appears to be a League 1 Jim Magilton, a manager whose team look world beaters on their day, but too flaky and inconsistent to be successful.
Evolution and Build from the Back on 15:44 - Nov 2 with 707 viewsitfcjoe

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:18 - Nov 2 by StokieBlue

"it's constantly conceding 2 goals in each game that is the problem - has now happened in 9 of our 15 league games - that simply has to stop"

I think we also need to add a little context to this stat. It happened in all of our first 6 games so that skews the statistic. If we take the next 9 games from your stat it shows that it's happened in 3 out of 9 games. Not ideal but does point towards a trend that it is stopping.

Would be nice to concede no goals in most matches of course.

SB

I'd excluded the Bolton but had added in the West Ham game erroneously.

Guess the issue now is that it has happened in 3 of our last 4 away games.

I listened to an interesting analytical piece and it talks about good teams being defined by "0s and 1s". Good defences get lots of them, bad attacks get too many of them.

Seen as a lot better metric than clean sheets and shut outs because one mistake can negate them.

No surprises to see it is our away form that lets us down:
Defensively - 2 out of 7
Attacking - 2 out of 7
And we have 2 wins out of 7

At home
Defensively - 4 out of 8
Attacking - 7 out of 8
But only 3 wins out of 8

We need to start scoring more goals away from home, and conceding less goals at home and away.

We've started to concede less at home - on a run of 4 "0s and 1s" in a row so that married up with our attacking form at home seems to suggest that is sorted - but miles off it away

Evolution and Build from the Back on 15:46 - Nov 2 with 691 viewsitfcjoe

Evolution and Build from the Back on 14:45 - Nov 2 by pennblue

We've only seen Coulson at left back 4 times and we conceded 9 goals in those games - hard to say he is the answer yet

Evolution and Build from the Back on 15:48 - Nov 2 with 676 viewspennblue

Evolution and Build from the Back on 15:44 - Nov 2 by itfcjoe

I'd excluded the Bolton but had added in the West Ham game erroneously.

Guess the issue now is that it has happened in 3 of our last 4 away games.

I listened to an interesting analytical piece and it talks about good teams being defined by "0s and 1s". Good defences get lots of them, bad attacks get too many of them.

Seen as a lot better metric than clean sheets and shut outs because one mistake can negate them.

No surprises to see it is our away form that lets us down:
Defensively - 2 out of 7
Attacking - 2 out of 7
And we have 2 wins out of 7

At home
Defensively - 4 out of 8
Attacking - 7 out of 8
But only 3 wins out of 8

We need to start scoring more goals away from home, and conceding less goals at home and away.

We've started to concede less at home - on a run of 4 "0s and 1s" in a row so that married up with our attacking form at home seems to suggest that is sorted - but miles off it away

I hope he sticks Burgess in tonight as he is good in the air, and if Wycombe's strength is set pieces, we need to be able to clear those balls coming in.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024