Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stand Names 16:05 - Jul 20 with 2684 viewsButterbing

I have a terrible memory for this sort of thing and can't find it on a google search. Can somebody help me out? What have the stands at Portman Road been called historically? These are the ones I can remember:

Cobbold Stand. Has it always been this?

Alf Ramsey. Previously Chuchmans, then South, then Greene King.

Bobby Robson. Previously North.

West. Previously Pioneer and East of England Co-Op.
Stand Names on 16:06 - Jul 20 with 2663 viewsmonty_radio

...and still further back, West

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Stand Names on 16:08 - Jul 20 with 2648 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Pioneer became Britannia

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Stand Names on 16:09 - Jul 20 with 2606 viewsBluefish

Sir Bob was Sandra Cunningham Stand

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Stand Names on 16:12 - Jul 20 with 2613 viewsdeano85

Im sure i have a ticket where the cobbold was tbe portman stand...
Stand Names on 16:14 - Jul 20 with 2597 viewsjaykay

cobbold stand was affectionately known as the chicken run

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Stand Names on 16:15 - Jul 20 with 2581 viewsRamRob

We should get a well known Horror author to sponsor

Stephen King's The Stand has a good ring to it

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Stand Names on 16:18 - Jul 20 with 2555 viewsDigger77

Was the Cobbold Stand once called the Portman Terrace?
Stand Names on 16:20 - Jul 20 with 2534 viewsButterbing

Thanks for the answers guys, can't believe I forgot the Portman Stand! or the Britannia.

The "Chicken Run" was well before my time though.
Login to get fewer ads

Stand Names on 16:25 - Jul 20 with 2501 viewsFtnfwest

Cobbold was just the Portman Stand
Stand Names on 16:25 - Jul 20 with 2501 viewsWeWereZombies

Stand Names on 16:14 - Jul 20 by jaykay

That would be from the time that when all the stands apart from Churchmans were officially known by the direction they faced (or faced away from if you were in the stand looking at the pitch.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Stand Names on 16:28 - Jul 20 with 2486 viewsblue62

I used to sit in the old West Stand when it was single tier, a row from the back next to the tv cameras, that was probably early 70s.
Stand Names on 16:45 - Jul 20 with 2399 viewsmonty_radio

Stand Names on 16:20 - Jul 20 by Butterbing

Thanks for the answers guys, can't believe I forgot the Portman Stand! or the Britannia.

The "Chicken Run" was well before my time though.

Still there up at the Speedway last time I looked

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Stand Names on 16:51 - Jul 20 with 2377 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cobbold was the Portman Stand. Portman Terrace underneath.

I think the Pioneer Stand was only named for the top tier. Most people referred to the lower bit as the 'West Stand'. Put it this way, I never saw any signs for 'Pioneer Lower' or 'Pioneer Terrace' back in the days I went in there. The West became all-seater 90/91.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Stand Names on 16:53 - Jul 20 with 2352 viewsPhilTWTD

Stand Names on 16:45 - Jul 20 by monty_radio

Blew down in 1987 if I remember rightly!
Stand Names on 17:10 - Jul 20 with 2303 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Then the Coop really missed a trick by sponsoring the wrong stand!
Stand Names on 17:55 - Jul 20 with 2223 viewsIllinoisblue

Stand Names on 16:51 - Jul 20 by gainsboroughblue

Cobbold was the Portman Stand. Portman Terrace underneath.

I think the Pioneer Stand was only named for the top tier. Most people referred to the lower bit as the 'West Stand'. Put it this way, I never saw any signs for 'Pioneer Lower' or 'Pioneer Terrace' back in the days I went in there. The West became all-seater 90/91.

Had to have a membership card to get in the West Stand in 90/91; and recall PC Keith Warren and co. hanging about in the corner with their video camera.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Stand Names on 18:27 - Jul 20 with 2161 viewsgainsboroughblue

Stand Names on 17:55 - Jul 20 by Illinoisblue

Had to have a membership card to get in the West Stand in 90/91; and recall PC Keith Warren and co. hanging about in the corner with their video camera.

I didn't go in the West that season at all, maybe the membership card thing was the reason.

I definitely went in there 89-90 when it was standing and alternated between that and North in 91-92. I watched the Brighton last game of the season from the West and remember looking across at the North and regretting not being in there given it was the last time it would be as it was.

And Keith Warren is a definite blast from the past.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 18:28]

Stand Names on 18:32 - Jul 20 with 2142 viewsIllinoisblue

Stand Names on 18:27 - Jul 20 by gainsboroughblue

I didn't go in the West that season at all, maybe the membership card thing was the reason.

I definitely went in there 89-90 when it was standing and alternated between that and North in 91-92. I watched the Brighton last game of the season from the West and remember looking across at the North and regretting not being in there given it was the last time it would be as it was.

And Keith Warren is a definite blast from the past.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 18:28]

My mum forced me to take my younger brother to the Brighton game so I was high up in the top tier of pioneer. North Stand for the Newcastle game was fantastic; hot sweaty beery swaying chaos. TWTD

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Stand Names on 18:34 - Jul 20 with 2132 viewsgainsboroughblue

Stand Names on 18:32 - Jul 20 by Illinoisblue

My mum forced me to take my younger brother to the Brighton game so I was high up in the top tier of pioneer. North Stand for the Newcastle game was fantastic; hot sweaty beery swaying chaos. TWTD

That was an epic afternoon. I was in the North for that and pretty sure I managed to get in a photo in the Star of the swaying and surging you mention. Good job I wasn't in the West that day as given the euphoria, I may have joined a few people on the banned list after Chrissy K's winner.

Stand Names on 21:29 - Jul 20 with 1997 viewsgalacticoblue

Stand Names on 18:34 - Jul 20 by gainsboroughblue

That was an epic afternoon. I was in the North for that and pretty sure I managed to get in a photo in the Star of the swaying and surging you mention. Good job I wasn't in the West that day as given the euphoria, I may have joined a few people on the banned list after Chrissy K's winner.

I was there too!! - right next to the Newcastle fans the other side of the fence. Very loud and a lot of fun.
Very odd now thinking we were basically treated as caged animals!
Stand Names on 07:30 - Jul 22 with 1842 viewsHarlestonblue

Stand Names on 16:45 - Jul 20 by monty_radio

Not at Foxhall stadium, no.
I believe it was damaged in the hurricane. The stands that replaced it (2 actually) were originally used at the hockey stadium during the Olympic games in 2012 (at Stratford)
Stand Names on 07:48 - Jul 22 with 1822 viewsChurchman

Stand Names on 16:28 - Jul 20 by blue62

I used to sit in the old West Stand when it was single tier, a row from the back next to the tv cameras, that was probably early 70s.

I sat in the West Stand for my first game in the late 60s. It looked massive to a child. Facing was of course the old Chicken Run. That looked tiny, even then. When the new East stand was built, it looked smart and enormous, even though the ends were still to be built. Times do change and it is certainly in need of replacement.

Up until the last 15 years, the ground was always quite smart. Not the biggest, but it always felt special. Seeing it get so shabby saddened me.
Stand Names on 11:02 - Jul 22 with 1715 viewsellerblue

Remember it well my first game i saw in 1957 stood in the chicken run along with all the trainee sailors in uniform from HMS Ganges at shotly and seeing Swede the ipswich bus driver with his blue and white umbrella walking around the pitch, brings back so many great memories.

Heinsberg Blue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024