Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish 23:00 - Jul 11 with 2286 viewsTrequartista

Time and time again i've bemoaned the modern game giving out red cards for the slightest follow through in a tackle, then this one gets the full studs into the groin and there was not even a mention of the var review.

A tough way to lose, perhaps on reflection the penalty takers were too young, but depends on who wants to take them.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 07:57 - Jul 12 with 2167 viewsandytown

I wondered the same thing. Was way worse than the Sweden one earlier in the tournament and that was red after VAR review.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 08:24 - Jul 12 with 2078 viewsbluelagos

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 07:57 - Jul 12 by andytown

I wondered the same thing. Was way worse than the Sweden one earlier in the tournament and that was red after VAR review.

I thought it a clear red and expected Var to upgrade the card from a yellow at the time.

Did Var even review the decision?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 08:34 - Jul 12 with 2043 viewsIpswichKnight

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 08:24 - Jul 12 by bluelagos

I thought it a clear red and expected Var to upgrade the card from a yellow at the time.

Did Var even review the decision?

Don’t think it did, it looked a clear red to me as well.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 08:37 - Jul 12 with 2024 viewsfloridaboy

Absolutely agree! He knew what he was doing with that tackle, then to feign injury was pathetic.

As for the penalties where were Sterling and Shaw? They should have stepped up and took responsibility rather than hide and leave it to the kids!

Italy did deserve to win though. Been the best side in the tournament.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 09:12 - Jul 12 with 1896 viewsChurchman

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 08:37 - Jul 12 by floridaboy

Absolutely agree! He knew what he was doing with that tackle, then to feign injury was pathetic.

As for the penalties where were Sterling and Shaw? They should have stepped up and took responsibility rather than hide and leave it to the kids!

It looked nasty in real time and worse in the replay. Red for me. He certainly did.know what he was doing. Italy were brilliant at the dark arts all night long and pretty much had the referee in their pocket, not that it made a difference to the result.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 09:12 - Jul 12 with 1895 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

#VARsgonemissing amazing how everyone used it until the final!

The tackle on Grealish and pull down of Stones by Chivelli just before the goal!

Hey ho !

2 Kicks away!
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 09:19 - Jul 12 with 1854 viewsNW10_Tractor

Not forgetting Chiellini pulling Saka down after Saka got the better of him. Italy are known for doing things like this to break up the play. I have been watching them for a while and though I must agree that the best team won and that they have some fantastic players, they are not afraid to give away fouls in the right places. It breaks up play, gives them time to re-adjust and above all, get men behind the ball.

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 09:57 - Jul 12 with 1739 viewsberkstractorboy

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 09:19 - Jul 12 by NW10_Tractor

Not forgetting Chiellini pulling Saka down after Saka got the better of him. Italy are known for doing things like this to break up the play. I have been watching them for a while and though I must agree that the best team won and that they have some fantastic players, they are not afraid to give away fouls in the right places. It breaks up play, gives them time to re-adjust and above all, get men behind the ball.

That challenge was very dangerous and wreckless how can trying to strangle someone with own shirt now warrant a red. Professional, cynical, but hey it was Italy so thats OK. With his pace he was through and Chiellini knew it.
Login to get fewer ads

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:01 - Jul 12 with 1701 viewschicoazul

I don’t think it was a red. He went for the ball and his foot slipped across the top of it. Sort of. Maybe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:10 - Jul 12 with 1656 viewsjayessess

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:01 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

I don’t think it was a red. He went for the ball and his foot slipped across the top of it. Sort of. Maybe.

They've been very clear throughout the tournament that such challenges are red cards. Was also surprised there wasn't even a VAR check for Sterling's first half penalty claim where he got a pretty clear kick in the back of the knee.

IMO the Italian press' hysterical reaction to the penalty Sterling won against Denmark got what it was after, which was a refereeing team predisposed to seeing England as cheats and terrified of VAR giving them a big decision.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 10:14]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:12 - Jul 12 with 1631 viewsSteve_M

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:10 - Jul 12 by jayessess

They've been very clear throughout the tournament that such challenges are red cards. Was also surprised there wasn't even a VAR check for Sterling's first half penalty claim where he got a pretty clear kick in the back of the knee.

IMO the Italian press' hysterical reaction to the penalty Sterling won against Denmark got what it was after, which was a refereeing team predisposed to seeing England as cheats and terrified of VAR giving them a big decision.

You can also add Emerson getting away with two yellow card offences - wild lunge early on and clear obstruction on Trippier - without a booking.

Italy won because they controlled the match but there were a couple of refereeing decisions that aided that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:15 - Jul 12 with 1605 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 08:37 - Jul 12 by floridaboy

Southgate chose penalty takers before the game. It wasn't up to the guys further down the line to take one before the designated player. You've got to have faith in your team mates, would of been a bad look if Shaw took it off Saka and then missed

Again, its all ifs and buts
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:28 - Jul 12 with 1532 viewsChurchman

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:15 - Jul 12 by abracaDOBRA_

Southgate chose penalty takers before the game. It wasn't up to the guys further down the line to take one before the designated player. You've got to have faith in your team mates, would of been a bad look if Shaw took it off Saka and then missed

The point is that the lads who put their hand up to take them had the balls to do just that. Credit to them. It was right to let them do so.

I think it’s very much an in the moment thing that has little to do with age, strangely enough. No ‘blame’ whatsoever against those boys. Penalty shootouts are a lottery and Italy’s weren’t a whole lot better.

I only ever took one penalty in Sat/Sun football and that was because the game was won and there was a standing joke that as a midfielder I couldn’t score in a house of ill repute. How the goalkeeper didn’t save it I’ll never know, much to the hysterics of my team mates. ‘Never again!’ said I. Scoring penalties is not easy, even on a rubbish pitch with nobody watching. Imagine stepping up at Wembley.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:44 - Jul 12 with 1471 viewsDeano69

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:10 - Jul 12 by jayessess

And they got a free kick on the edge of the box with a virtually identical challenge as that on Sterling a minute earlier in the penalty area??

I have to say, up until the final, (and this is certainly not sour grapes), the officiating had been superb (other than waiting far too long to flag totally obvious offsides but that's not the officials fault). Thought they had seen through the play acting and shytehousing, but there was plenty of it in the final. And I liked the way VAR was used, but as many of here mention, cant see why it was felt there was nothing wrong with the challenge on Grealish or the garrotting of Saka, can you imagine if it had been the other way round...

Oh well.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:19 - Jul 12 with 1356 viewsJDB23

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:15 - Jul 12 by abracaDOBRA_

Management need to take control of that though. All well and good a 19 year old kid sticking his hand up in training saying he’ll take a pen but you need to weigh it up. He will have never felt pressure anywhere close to that in his career, has he even taken a single pen in professional football? Agreed that you can’t really change it once the decision has been made, but it was a baffling decision in the first place.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:24 - Jul 12 with 1325 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:19 - Jul 12 by JDB23

Management need to take control of that though. All well and good a 19 year old kid sticking his hand up in training saying he’ll take a pen but you need to weigh it up. He will have never felt pressure anywhere close to that in his career, has he even taken a single pen in professional football? Agreed that you can’t really change it once the decision has been made, but it was a baffling decision in the first place.

I see what you're saying but we aren't in training, and he may have been the best at in training. Its tough for him but will make him stronger.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 1310 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:19 - Jul 12 by JDB23

free kick takers should take a pen. shaw comes into that .
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 1309 viewsMerseyBlue

It did feel like it had been decided that VAR was not going to be used after the events of our semi final. I think I'm finding that easier to accept than I would expect because it was always going to be the case that Italy got away with certain things, it's a large part of what they do, and as well as being a very good team, they are very good at sh1thousing.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:38 - Jul 12 with 1281 viewsJDB23

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:24 - Jul 12 by abracaDOBRA_

I see what you're saying but we aren't in training, and he may have been the best at in training. Its tough for him but will make him stronger.

Don’t think you can really compare training to the real thing, I bet Gwion looked fantastic on corners in training! Hopefully it does make him stronger, I’m sure it will feel pretty heavy for him right now.
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:47 - Jul 12 with 1236 viewsRyorry

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:28 - Jul 12 by MerseyBlue

It did feel like it had been decided that VAR was not going to be used after the events of our semi final. I think I'm finding that easier to accept than I would expect because it was always going to be the case that Italy got away with certain things, it's a large part of what they do, and as well as being a very good team, they are very good at sh1thousing.

If Italy were as good a team as people are making out, they wouldn't resort to what, in effect, was cheating, and the two "challenges" (assaults) on Grealish and Saka were just outrageous.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:52 - Jul 12 with 1216 viewsSamWhiteUK

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 10:44 - Jul 12 by Deano69

And they got a free kick on the edge of the box with a virtually identical challenge as that on Sterling a minute earlier in the penalty area??

I have to say, up until the final, (and this is certainly not sour grapes), the officiating had been superb (other than waiting far too long to flag totally obvious offsides but that's not the officials fault). Thought they had seen through the play acting and shytehousing, but there was plenty of it in the final. And I liked the way VAR was used, but as many of here mention, cant see why it was felt there was nothing wrong with the challenge on Grealish or the garrotting of Saka, can you imagine if it had been the other way round...

Oh well.

The rest of the world think that the officiating in the final was spot on. It's pathetic. If Maguire had pulled a player down by the neck there would have been uproar
Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 13:02 - Jul 12 with 1105 viewsMerseyBlue

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 11:47 - Jul 12 by Ryorry

If Italy were as good a team as people are making out, they wouldn't resort to what, in effect, was cheating, and the two "challenges" (assaults) on Grealish and Saka were just outrageous.

I don't like that part of the game but unfortunately it is here to stay. Completely agree about the two "challenges", very dangerous and not right. I think you still have to say that Italy nullified us for much of the game, whether or not that was all down to them, I'm not sure, but it never really looked likely that we would score a second, even though that should have been our aim.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 14:24 - Jul 12 with 969 viewsRyorry

Why was there no VAR red card for the Jorginho tackle on Grealish on 13:02 - Jul 12 by MerseyBlue

I don't like that part of the game but unfortunately it is here to stay. Completely agree about the two "challenges", very dangerous and not right. I think you still have to say that Italy nullified us for much of the game, whether or not that was all down to them, I'm not sure, but it never really looked likely that we would score a second, even though that should have been our aim.

I don't think it should be accepted as "here to stay" - if enough fans of enough clubs pushed back against it when it happened from their own players, it would help attitudes change, much as attitudes to drink-driving have changed between the 1980s and now.

Don't see why that couldn't happen, it spoils 'the beautiful game' for so many.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024