Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? 12:17 - Jun 29 with 1149 viewsParsley

Debatable what counts as a top team but any advances on Argentina 2002?

About time that changed
Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 12:26 - Jun 29 with 1094 viewsjayessess

They beat the runners up at the last World Cup 2 weeks ago. Belgium in the Nations League Last October.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 12:33 - Jun 29 with 1059 viewsTractorWood

Spain in Euro 96 imo

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 12:43 - Jun 29 with 1010 viewspositivity

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 12:26 - Jun 29 by jayessess

They beat the runners up at the last World Cup 2 weeks ago. Belgium in the Nations League Last October.

they beat previous winners (sort of) in the last game, who then knocked out holland...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 12:48 - Jun 29 with 971 viewsclive_baker

We've not won a knockout game at a Euro's since 1996.

Not that any of that is relevant. Different team and set up now, we've got as good a chance of winning this thing as anyone I would say.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:00 - Jun 29 with 915 viewsFtnfwest

I'd say it would have to be a top ten side to count for arguments sake. Don't think we have although the win (on pens) v Columbia who wouldn't have been far off top ten is probably the best result on paper at least in major tournaments since 2002. Beyond that for that game we did show a lot of character to come through it as well, and we'll need that tonight.
Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:00 - Jun 29 with 916 viewsTangledupin_Blue

The last time we beat Germany in a knock-out game was in 1966 and that was thanks to the linesman.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:05 - Jun 29 with 878 viewspositivity

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:00 - Jun 29 by Ftnfwest

I'd say it would have to be a top ten side to count for arguments sake. Don't think we have although the win (on pens) v Columbia who wouldn't have been far off top ten is probably the best result on paper at least in major tournaments since 2002. Beyond that for that game we did show a lot of character to come through it as well, and we'll need that tonight.

by this metric, we won't have beaten a top ten side even if we beat germany (12th).

in fact, we'll have to hope for a semi win against denmark (10th) to break that!

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:06 - Jun 29 with 870 viewspositivity

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:00 - Jun 29 by Tangledupin_Blue

The last time we beat Germany in a knock-out game was in 1966 and that was thanks to the linesman.

and that was only half of germany!

Login to get fewer ads

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:12 - Jun 29 with 846 viewsBloomBlue

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:00 - Jun 29 by Tangledupin_Blue

I never understand that lino argument, nobody will ever know if England would have won or not without that lino decision same counterargue is would Germany have beaten us in the 2010 WC if the lino had given that perfectly good Lampard goal
Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:15 - Jun 29 with 825 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:00 - Jun 29 by Ftnfwest

Colombia were ranked 16th going into the last WC. Croatia are currently ranked higher than that at 14th so if basing on the world rankings that’s our biggest since 2002 by my reckoning (Sweden in 2012 is also close at 17th)

However I’m not sure it’s the best measurement - Germany are actually ranked 12th currently so also wouldn’t qualify as a big win. Really whatever measurement you use I think it’s fair to say we haven’t had one for a while - but tonight absolutely would be IMO!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:16 - Jun 29 with 820 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:05 - Jun 29 by positivity

by this metric, we won't have beaten a top ten side even if we beat germany (12th).

in fact, we'll have to hope for a semi win against denmark (10th) to break that!

Haha, snap

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:54 - Jun 29 with 720 viewsFtnfwest

Last time England beat a top team at a major tournament? on 13:05 - Jun 29 by positivity

I'm all for counting it later if we do! Of course the rankings can be completely 'off' anyway as evidenced by ou continual too high position. Currently 4th FFS - there wer half a dozen sides in the other half of the World Cup Finals last time better than us alone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024