Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. 09:47 - May 2 with 2774 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I've been really critical of Cook and some of his man management on here.

But I think giving Norwood the armband might just be a stroke of genius.

So...forget his social media, love of loathe it.

He is very popular amongst his teammates.
He (apparently) is one of the best trainers at the club.
We can all see when he's on the pitch he always gives 110% (sometimes to his detriment when coming back from injury).
I think when you rebulid a squad, you need a captain who links the old and the new.
He is a strong character and has hardness to his game that we need.
He is all about winning.

And...his goal scoring ratio since he's been here is Started 41 games. Scored. 20.

When was the last time we had that? 41:20.

And he's done that consistently throughout his career.

I hope Cook gives the armband to him permanently.

Norwood's interview in the EADT make interesting reading. I think Cook might be about to get this one right.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:55 - May 2 with 609 viewsStokieBlue

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 16:19 - May 2 by PositivelyPortman

Ok joint top scorer - happy?
He did as well as Jackson then. Did anybody else force themselves into the side and do any better?
Quite a reasonable return for a badly functioning team.
Suck it up if he’s here next season then. Call yourself a supporter?
Christ knows what you’d be like if he hadn’t scored any goals season.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 16:22]

Not the most eloquent post.

"Christ knows what you’d be like if he hadn’t scored any goals season."

Exactly the same as I am now. I don't think he's particularly good and he's a odious individual. It's your ability to overlook some quite awful behaviour because he scores some goals that I find more worrying.

He's the best we have, that's not the same as the best we could have. Surely as such a superb supporter you should be striving for us to get the best possible players we can.

SB
[Post edited 2 May 2021 18:58]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:56 - May 2 with 609 viewsStokieBlue

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 15:12 - May 2 by hoppy

But this season, Jackson has scored just 1 goal
In 24 appearances... Norwood has 9 in 26 appearances.

There is context though.

Norwood is consistently played in the position that suits him whilst Jackson was consistently played in a position which doesn't suit him.

The original post was also citing two years so it was perfectly reasonable to point out that he wasn't top scorer that year and wasn't even our most effective forward when assists are factored in.

SB

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:58 - May 2 with 604 viewsBiGDonnie

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 14:00 - May 2 by StokieBlue

Joint top scorer, Jackson score the same number of goals and got more assists last season.

Given Jackson is apparently total pony that's not a great reflection on Norwood is it especially given he was playing his favoured position the whole time whilst Jackson wasn't?

SB
[Post edited 2 May 2021 14:01]

Jackson is pony.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:01 - May 2 with 599 viewsHerbivore

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:33 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

To dismiss his second goal as a 'tap in' is to really run it down. It was an excellent poachers goal, he anticipated that back pass and was on to it almost before it had been made. Really quick thinking from him and finished off well too.

I think you've rather gone the other way and are talking it up beyond its merit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:01 - May 2 with 597 viewsStokieBlue

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:58 - May 2 by BiGDonnie

Jackson is pony.

He's certainly not been good this year and I think we should move him on. I think he might do OK somewhere else though if a team plays to his strength. Time will tell.

Once again though, if he's pony, how did he score as many as Norwood last year given many seem to think he's the answer?

We should surely be aiming higher than either if the new owners are serious?

SB

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:06 - May 2 with 593 viewsdirtyboy

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 10:43 - May 2 by Keno

Saying Norwood is "one of the best trainers' is like saying I am one of the most intelligent, sane and coherent posters on TWTD

Noted.
Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:12 - May 2 with 582 viewsGeoffSentence

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:01 - May 2 by Herbivore

I think you've rather gone the other way and are talking it up beyond its merit.

I think you are running it down, you think I am over selling it. Where do we go from here Herbie? We could do that TWTD thing where we slag each other off for a page or two for having the temerity to disagree with each other. Are you up for that?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:14 - May 2 with 581 viewsHerbivore

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:12 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

I think you are running it down, you think I am over selling it. Where do we go from here Herbie? We could do that TWTD thing where we slag each other off for a page or two for having the temerity to disagree with each other. Are you up for that?

Not really mate, no. Let's agree to disagree.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:16 - May 2 with 576 viewsGeoffSentence

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:14 - May 2 by Herbivore

Not really mate, no. Let's agree to disagree.

I can go with that.

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:29 - May 2 with 571 viewsBiGDonnie

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:01 - May 2 by StokieBlue

He's certainly not been good this year and I think we should move him on. I think he might do OK somewhere else though if a team plays to his strength. Time will tell.

Once again though, if he's pony, how did he score as many as Norwood last year given many seem to think he's the answer?

We should surely be aiming higher than either if the new owners are serious?

SB

Yes, 100% should be looking higher than both, some of the statements have been promising, such as 'buying like a championship club' and using more data analysis than before.

TBH, I think it's so difficult to judge anyone who has been here because of how poor we have been as a team for so long.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:44 - May 2 with 549 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 10:40 - May 2 by Herbivore

Christ on a bike. Some people are easily won over by a penalty and a tap in against a Swindon side who are already down.

We have to take what you say on Norwood with a pinch of salt mind you.

We’ve had Jackson to be a success out wide - oops.

Even when I mentioned back in June that this squad was bang average, I think your response was - “Perhaps you need to be a bit more realistic and realise this squad was plenty good enough” - oops.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:47 - May 2 with 538 viewsnodge_blue

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 10:40 - May 2 by Herbivore

Christ on a bike. Some people are easily won over by a penalty and a tap in against a Swindon side who are already down.

Pretty sure that Christ wasn't a cyclist.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:49 - May 2 with 532 viewsGeoffSentence

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 19:47 - May 2 by nodge_blue

Pretty sure that Christ wasn't a cyclist.

Less believable than a virgin birth and resurrection?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 21:46 - May 2 with 517 viewsrfretwell

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:38 - May 2 by Superfrans

Genuinely, if we can go out and find another striker or two who can give us a goal every two games, I’d happily let Norwood go.

But we cant, so we need to accept him as one of ours. And enjoy him while he’s with us.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 18:38]

Elephantintheroom according to a recent list of our players earnings including loanees, Bennetts earns the most - £16K a week i think it is. Assuming we aren't paying all his wages (i very much hope), does anyone know how much he is costing us?
Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 22:37 - May 2 with 500 viewschrismakin

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 21:46 - May 2 by rfretwell

Elephantintheroom according to a recent list of our players earnings including loanees, Bennetts earns the most - £16K a week i think it is. Assuming we aren't paying all his wages (i very much hope), does anyone know how much he is costing us?

Wasn't it rumoured to be around 8k

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 22:50 - May 2 with 497 viewsVic

I’m very happy for him to be captain for a few games - it’s a bit of a show of confidence from the manager and might just encourage a bit of maturity in him.

However, I could never see him as club captain for all the reasons everyone else has said.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 23:22 - May 2 with 487 viewslightuser

Norwood. Goal Ratio and Club Captain. on 18:38 - May 2 by Superfrans

Genuinely, if we can go out and find another striker or two who can give us a goal every two games, I’d happily let Norwood go.

But we cant, so we need to accept him as one of ours. And enjoy him while he’s with us.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 18:38]

This...although "enjoying" his off field antics is a bit of a push (specifically his drunk driving).

We need at least 3 strickers for next season.

Norwood, for all his faults is plenty good enough for this level and whist still being under contract I expect him to fill one of these slots.

On the pitch he gives 100%. However, off the pitch I suspect that he is a lazy so and so and should really hire himself a fitness/lifestyle coach to maximise his last few years in the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024