Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hi All 11:10 - Apr 17 with 622 viewsBaltachaFanClub

I haven’t been as vocal on here as I used to be, although I have still been watching/reading.

I had a go at being a football writer, and was quite enjoying it, but the website I was writing for wanted more click bait than I could reasonably supply, it was an interesting and cathartic experience, and one which made me appreciate the industry a lot more, Phil especially.
(I kept tapping Phil up for hints, tips etc, and on the odd occasion shared some gossip/rumours with him, thanks Phil)

Anyway, I have stepped away from it all again, not saying I won’t try again, and the people at the72 were great guys and gals, but I wasn’t as big of a clickbaiter as I needed to be.

And back to my point, this season has been a weird one, and the contract situation with so many players has made me compare to my other vice, Football manager (more accurately old versions of Championship manager for this thought)
When I was younger, my brother and I used to have a dual career save on whichever CM was current, and every year a team would be promoted into the league with no players (due to it not running non-league squads) often I would apply to and get the managers job, and this is what I feel has happened to Paul Cook, he has taken on an empty team.

Forgetting who we are keeping/losing what players would you be targeting in your transfer window?
A couple have stood out to me this year, and with our supposed financial backing I was thinking where would you be shopping for your squad....

I will go first, there is no rumour or anything attached, I just like the players :-
Ollie Rathbone - Rochdale (Midfielder, box-to-box)
Ben Sheaf - Coventry (well, Arsenal Midfielder)
Callum Lang- Wigan (forward)
Benny Ashley-Seal Northampton (Forward, but annoyingly a Norwich youth player)
Toby Savin - Accrington (Keeper)
Michael Ihiekwe - Rotherham (Defender, liked him at Tranmere a while back)
Josh Tymon- Stoke (Left back, probably expensive though)

Anyway, hoping for a positive result today

BaltachaFanClub

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Hi All on 11:42 - Apr 17 with 499 viewsChurchman

Well done for having the bottle trying something like that.

In terms of players, I really don’t know. I still think Cook’s original principle of a favoured formation and finding players to fit it is the way to go. The club if it’s serious about prgressing needs to be looking at the level of player above what we have or better. Championship standard where possible. No more journeymen, has beens, injury prone treatment table warmers, players who have talent but are flawed such as Taylor or Chopra, quality over numbers. Let other teams take our garbage instead of us taking theirs.

So a mix of younger, high quality promising players, one or two experienced Mowbray-esque high quality players to form the backbone of the team, a few solid citizens; good club men in their prime or coming up to it who can be trusted to do what’s asked of them. This is a bit like asking for the moon on a stick and Cook is certainly going to be tested.

Before that the first task is surely to get the people around him that he trusts.
Hi All on 11:51 - Apr 17 with 457 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Hi All on 11:42 - Apr 17 by Churchman

Well done for having the bottle trying something like that.

In terms of players, I really don’t know. I still think Cook’s original principle of a favoured formation and finding players to fit it is the way to go. The club if it’s serious about prgressing needs to be looking at the level of player above what we have or better. Championship standard where possible. No more journeymen, has beens, injury prone treatment table warmers, players who have talent but are flawed such as Taylor or Chopra, quality over numbers. Let other teams take our garbage instead of us taking theirs.

So a mix of younger, high quality promising players, one or two experienced Mowbray-esque high quality players to form the backbone of the team, a few solid citizens; good club men in their prime or coming up to it who can be trusted to do what’s asked of them. This is a bit like asking for the moon on a stick and Cook is certainly going to be tested.

Before that the first task is surely to get the people around him that he trusts.

Agreed, quality is key, and seeing todays team it looks like many of our current squad are being given a last hurrah,

I have no answers on who we need, but look forward to the summer window more than I think I ever have before

And thanks, it was a bit out of my comfort zone, but you have to try things

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Hi All on 11:55 - Apr 17 with 441 viewsmonty_radio

Hi All on 11:51 - Apr 17 by BaltachaFanClub

Agreed, quality is key, and seeing todays team it looks like many of our current squad are being given a last hurrah,

I have no answers on who we need, but look forward to the summer window more than I think I ever have before

And thanks, it was a bit out of my comfort zone, but you have to try things

Interesting read. And certainly that team looks more interesting for who's not in it than for the team itself.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024