Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burley and youth 09:10 - Feb 5 with 1231 viewstextbackup

Had a think about this yesterday, I love George don’t get me wrong, him as manager is ‘my ipswich’

But when I think back over his time here these are the youth players that made it, and featured frequently... list isn’t as big as I thought.

Naylor
Dyer
Wright
Scowcroft
Bramble
Wayne Brown
Gregory

Then the likes of midgley and Logan would drift in and out.

Darren bent maybe in 2nd prem season got a game or two?

Unless of course I’ve gone mad, and I’m missing anyone I shouldn’t be from that list?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 9:11]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Burley and youth on 09:12 - Feb 5 with 1196 viewsKeno

Darren Bent?

I would also add his signing made a much better impact.

Just think what Jamma could do for this team
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 9:13]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Burley and youth on 09:13 - Feb 5 with 1182 viewsBseaBlue

Were Bent and Ambrose within his tenure?

The one thing I would say is that although not many, look at how much each of those progressed! He certainly knew how to aid the development of the younger players.
Burley and youth on 09:14 - Feb 5 with 1172 viewsSitfcB

Ambrose?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Burley and youth on 09:20 - Feb 5 with 1158 viewsMookamoo

Wasn't it a case of quality over quantity rather than current trend of accumulation? The squad size was a fraction of what it is now.

Dyer and Scowcroft especially were given time and support to develop and find their positions. If someone like Burley was in charge now, Woolfenden and Dobra would so much better.
Burley and youth on 09:24 - Feb 5 with 1148 viewsReuser_is_God

I guess because the players he signed were so good that he didn't have to play youth players who he didn't think were quite good enough.

Lambert has had to hand out so many debuts because our recruitment of senior players has been so poor.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Burley and youth on 09:26 - Feb 5 with 1141 viewsdavblue

Burley and youth on 09:24 - Feb 5 by Reuser_is_God

I guess because the players he signed were so good that he didn't have to play youth players who he didn't think were quite good enough.

Lambert has had to hand out so many debuts because our recruitment of senior players has been so poor.

we did at times, we had quite a small squad of players in the mid nineties, the bench at times wasn't great. We usually had a good 14 players though.
Burley and youth on 09:32 - Feb 5 with 1125 viewstextbackup

Burley and youth on 09:12 - Feb 5 by Keno

Darren Bent?

I would also add his signing made a much better impact.

Just think what Jamma could do for this team
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 9:13]

Yeah we brought youngsters on the up too, like you mention, Jamma.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Burley and youth on 10:21 - Feb 5 with 1064 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Darren Bent

Darren Ambrose

Dean Bowditch

Adam Tanner was given quite a run early on.

He also brought in young players like Clapham, Holland and Johnson and developed them.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Burley and youth on 10:37 - Feb 5 with 1045 viewsTractorchef

Tony Vaughan was decent and sold for a reasonable amount.
Burley and youth on 10:54 - Feb 5 with 1024 viewschicoazul

On a related topi, does anyone think we will ever produce a yoof as good as even Scowcroft ever again? Never mind Dyer Titus and Wright. Why would any good young player stay at Ipswich now? I appreciate this is partly due to the finances available in the wider world now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Burley and youth on 11:42 - Feb 5 with 957 viewsGeoffSentence

Burley and youth on 09:20 - Feb 5 by Mookamoo

Wasn't it a case of quality over quantity rather than current trend of accumulation? The squad size was a fraction of what it is now.

Dyer and Scowcroft especially were given time and support to develop and find their positions. If someone like Burley was in charge now, Woolfenden and Dobra would so much better.

We also didn't have a ceaseless procession of long term injuries. How did he manage that?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Burley and youth on 11:43 - Feb 5 with 957 viewssuffolkpoker

Burley and youth on 10:37 - Feb 5 by Tractorchef

Tony Vaughan was decent and sold for a reasonable amount.

Went to Man City for £1.5m...

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Burley and youth on 12:16 - Feb 5 with 911 viewsKeno

Burley and youth on 11:42 - Feb 5 by GeoffSentence

We also didn't have a ceaseless procession of long term injuries. How did he manage that?

obviously the games were spaced out and there was lots of squad rotation ...... oh

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Burley and youth on 13:01 - Feb 6 with 756 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Burley and youth on 13:13 - Feb 6 with 715 viewsbobbyramsey

None of our current crop would be fit to lace the boots of those mentioned above.

Sad state of affairs.
Burley and youth on 14:18 - Feb 6 with 623 viewspatrickswell

Worth mentioning that the vast majority of the squad which were relegated in 94/95 were utilised throughout 95/96 as well. That squad showed it had enough about it to dispel fears of us “doing a Swindon” and was stable enough that players like Wright, Scowcroft and Vaughan could come into a side without massive pressure/expectation being placed on them to lift underperforming senior players.

Compare that to Ambrose being the main spark around a series of relegation-hungover senior players during the first half of 2002/03.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024