Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Running shoes 08:25 - Feb 4 with 2100 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Dear runners of TWTD, please can you give me some recommendations for some cheap running shoes?

Last time I ran regularly/at all was 10 years ago. I used the PT-1000 shoes for a while which were really good and completely alleviated shin splints which I'd been having. But they are £100-£110 and I really don't want to pay much more than about half of that, as I'm not seriously getting back into it. It's just going to be a casual jog thing a few times a week.

Do you get what you pay for, or is it possible to get a solid, comfortable and shock absorbant pair for around £50 tops?

Thanks!

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Running shoes on 08:30 - Feb 4 with 2073 viewsRozz

TWTD Runners! by Rozz 28 Dec 2020 11:25
FWIW I swapped from some old Nikes to Asics GEL-Kayano 25's when training for a half marathon a couple of year back and the difference was amazing. Much lighter, a lot more comfortable underfoot and really good support.

I bought because they had tweaked the design to offer more arch support for pronation which I thought might be causing my knee / IT band problems at the time. I've run very little since, so can't say for sure if this solved it altogether, but certainly felt like it at the time. Planning on getting out in them a lot more in the new year.

You may find this thread useful.
Running shoes on 08:36 - Feb 4 with 2057 viewschasing_crazy

If you are confident in the size shoe you need, then most of the big shoe companies have outlets on line, or somewhere like M and M direct are good for last years shoes at a decent price. Currently a nike user, but have never paid anywhere near full price, especially as I go through 3 to 4 pairs a years
Running shoes on 08:46 - Feb 4 with 2036 viewsTractorWood

Get gait analysis if you can. If you know you are neutral just try a pair and see what happens. I've probably trashed a dozen pairs of adidas boosts (mainly supernovas) over the years. I've moved onto saucony's triumph 18's recently. I also have their trail shoes the peregrine.

Ultimately it's about personal preference. I like lots of cushioning in a road shoe as I try to do a few marathons a year. Generally the decent cushioned road shoe of most brands are £80-£150 but try to keep your eye out for discounts.

Another tip is if you find a shoe you love then buy as many pairs as you reasonably can. Shoe brands in particular Adidas tend to make one great shoe every few years and then release a new iteration next year with a funny sock fabric that renders the shoe useless. At any point in time, I have a cupboard with 3-4 new pairs in.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Running shoes on 08:47 - Feb 4 with 2038 viewsdavblue

I wouldn't go cheap even if you are running 2 or 3 times a week.

As i say to anyone, go and get yourself filmed with your running style, i got trainers off the internet and in shops and i struggled with my feet aching. Went to a shop and they filmed me running and got a pair from them and i haven't had a single problem since.

Appreciate it's not an immediate solution but well worth it.

Below are what i got and for me they are very good.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB772GB772&q=saucony+men%27s+
Running shoes on 09:11 - Feb 4 with 2012 viewsBrianTablet

Running shoes on 08:46 - Feb 4 by TractorWood

Get gait analysis if you can. If you know you are neutral just try a pair and see what happens. I've probably trashed a dozen pairs of adidas boosts (mainly supernovas) over the years. I've moved onto saucony's triumph 18's recently. I also have their trail shoes the peregrine.

Ultimately it's about personal preference. I like lots of cushioning in a road shoe as I try to do a few marathons a year. Generally the decent cushioned road shoe of most brands are £80-£150 but try to keep your eye out for discounts.

Another tip is if you find a shoe you love then buy as many pairs as you reasonably can. Shoe brands in particular Adidas tend to make one great shoe every few years and then release a new iteration next year with a funny sock fabric that renders the shoe useless. At any point in time, I have a cupboard with 3-4 new pairs in.

This is spot on, although gait analysis has been dissed a bit as a waste of time.

If you aren't a neutral runner, try to become one.
Having trainers fit your style - if it's pronating, etc- is not a long-term solution to the problem. Work on your form. When you start putting in the miles, you will get issues anyway as your body adapts to the change. It's easy to blame the shoes and spend loads on various pairs, which is exactly what the makers/shops want you to do.

One rule of thumb, is find the most comfortable and light trainers and stick with those.
I'm a Saucony man too, Kinvara/Fastwitch and Peregrine for trail.

This is a good site for comparing shoes - weight, etc.
https://runrepeat.com/catalog/running-shoes

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Running shoes on 09:11 - Feb 4 with 2001 viewsCoco

I've always really liked adidas kanadia as cover various terrains.

Avoid Doc Martens.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Running shoes on 09:15 - Feb 4 with 2000 viewshype313

If you're Ipswich based, then head down to Coes (Hopefully within the next month or so) and get them to check your gait, they have some serious sales on so you might be able to grab a pair at a decent price.

I got a pair of Asics and they have been brilliant.

You might not want to pay anymore than £50, but it would be in your interests to stretch a little further if poss. Remember the saying "Buy cheap, pay twice"

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Running shoes on 09:22 - Feb 4 with 1990 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Running shoes on 09:15 - Feb 4 by hype313

If you're Ipswich based, then head down to Coes (Hopefully within the next month or so) and get them to check your gait, they have some serious sales on so you might be able to grab a pair at a decent price.

You might not want to pay anymore than £50, but it would be in your interests to stretch a little further if poss. Remember the saying "Buy cheap, pay twice"

This x 100, at the risk of being blunt it’s pointless getting recommendations on this topic as everyone has different foot size/shapes and running styles meaning what’s great for one person can be rubbish for another

Agree with the comment on price too - would suggest looking more in the £70-£100 range (he rally in a sale so picking up something that’s £120ish) have found that to generally be the sweet spot for a good long lasting shoe without getting into the mega-expensive only really appropriate for serious runners range. If you’re not worried about having an outlandish design or colour you may be able to go a bit cheaper!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Running shoes on 09:49 - Feb 4 with 1951 viewsartsbossbeard

I've just about knackered my Brooks Adrenaline runners that I purchased this time last year and served me extremely well with daily use throughout furlough/summer/winter. They really are a decent trainer but you won't get much change out of £100.

I did some research and I've just purchased a pair of Mizuno Wave runners, which I picked up from upandrunning.co.uk for £55. They're last years model - so what?

Everyone's different but I need some cushioning around the front of the foot and a slightly wider fit - both options above are great for this.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Running shoes on 10:01 - Feb 4 with 1908 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Thank you for the responses. I'll do some further research when I have a bit more time later, based on the advice.

Running shoes on 10:22 - Feb 4 with 1859 viewsWallingford_Boy

Running shoes on 09:11 - Feb 4 by BrianTablet

This is spot on, although gait analysis has been dissed a bit as a waste of time.

If you aren't a neutral runner, try to become one.
Having trainers fit your style - if it's pronating, etc- is not a long-term solution to the problem. Work on your form. When you start putting in the miles, you will get issues anyway as your body adapts to the change. It's easy to blame the shoes and spend loads on various pairs, which is exactly what the makers/shops want you to do.

One rule of thumb, is find the most comfortable and light trainers and stick with those.
I'm a Saucony man too, Kinvara/Fastwitch and Peregrine for trail.

This is a good site for comparing shoes - weight, etc.
https://runrepeat.com/catalog/running-shoes

You don't need gait analysis (not that you could at the moment anyway).

Do the old wet footprint on a tiled floor to see what your gait is like (google it).

But yeah crucial you get the right type of shoe (supportive for flat feet, etc)

RIP Sir Bobby

Running shoes on 11:43 - Feb 4 with 1775 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Further question regarding unique foot shape etc and how this affects things:

Around the same time that I was experiencing shin splints, I was provided with inner soles for shoes via physiotherapy, which I have used ever since to good effect. I cannot recall exactly what these address/correct, but in theory, if I were to buy a 'neutral' pair of running shoes and use my inner soles, would this be a way of 'adapting' the shoes to my needs based on my feet?

Running shoes on 11:46 - Feb 4 with 1770 viewsclive_baker

Running shoes on 09:15 - Feb 4 by hype313

I love Coes, an absolute Ipswich institution which I imagine needs people to support it now more than ever.

And they have parking, which is ideal.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Running shoes on 11:56 - Feb 4 with 1735 viewsKeno

oh come on people its common knowledge that Gola are the best trainers ever and in the absence of the Cobra the Harrier is the best all round trainer

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Running shoes on 12:18 - Feb 4 with 1711 viewsBassett_Blue

Running shoes on 11:46 - Feb 4 by clive_baker

I love Coes, an absolute Ipswich institution which I imagine needs people to support it now more than ever.

I have never lived in Ipswich, but when we use to visit grandparents/family, I seem to remember going there every time, and spent what felt like hours on end waiting for my old man to get measured for a suit. I even got my first suit from there at 18.

I hope that they don't have to close due to the current climate. As strangely it has a big connection for me to Ipswich, probably second only to the football club. Although that may slowly be changing with what is happening to the club at the moment!
Running shoes on 12:26 - Feb 4 with 1696 viewsclive_baker

Running shoes on 12:18 - Feb 4 by Bassett_Blue

I have never lived in Ipswich, but when we use to visit grandparents/family, I seem to remember going there every time, and spent what felt like hours on end waiting for my old man to get measured for a suit. I even got my first suit from there at 18.

I hope that they don't have to close due to the current climate. As strangely it has a big connection for me to Ipswich, probably second only to the football club. Although that may slowly be changing with what is happening to the club at the moment!

Brilliant. I have similar memories of being dragged around Ipswich shops with my mum as a kid. Swear I spent 4 days in Laura Ashley waiting for her to try dresses on once when I was about 5.

I hope not, I would like to think people become extra conscious of who and where they're buying from post Covid. It's in all of our interests.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Running shoes on 12:28 - Feb 4 with 1688 viewshype313

Running shoes on 11:46 - Feb 4 by clive_baker

Love Coes too, but William gives me the heebie jeebies, his eyes scare me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Running shoes on 17:08 - Feb 4 with 1593 viewsTractorWood

Running shoes on 11:43 - Feb 4 by ThisIsMyUsername

Further question regarding unique foot shape etc and how this affects things:

Around the same time that I was experiencing shin splints, I was provided with inner soles for shoes via physiotherapy, which I have used ever since to good effect. I cannot recall exactly what these address/correct, but in theory, if I were to buy a 'neutral' pair of running shoes and use my inner soles, would this be a way of 'adapting' the shoes to my needs based on my feet?

A few have dissed gait analysis, which I think is fair with some caveats. It was a bit pointless but it did confirm me a neutral runner which was useful in itself. As part of the gait analysis I got moulded insoles. Maybe 3/4 years ago. I think the logic behind this is more solid and I've used them ever since. The most recent iteration of this is just buying these https://www.footbalanceuk.com/footbalance-quickfit-balance/p592. You stick them in the oven and then mould them to your feet by going for a 10 minute wander around the block as they cool.

Your mileage may vary but I rate them.

Running shoes on 17:19 - Feb 4 with 1574 viewsTractorWood

Running shoes on 09:11 - Feb 4 by Coco

I've always really liked adidas kanadia as cover various terrains.

Avoid Doc Martens.

I have a pair of kanadia trails. I've trashed them all over the place. Fell running in Scotland, the peaks, the lakes, hiking in Indonesia, mud galore. Cracking pair of shoes but can't find a pair for love nor money that are the same so switched to the Saucony peregrine. These are excellent but don't have the emotional attachment yet.

Trail shoes last so long that they are a different thing imo.

Running shoes on 07:08 - Feb 5 with 1449 viewsBrianTablet

Running shoes on 17:19 - Feb 4 by TractorWood

I have a pair of kanadia trails. I've trashed them all over the place. Fell running in Scotland, the peaks, the lakes, hiking in Indonesia, mud galore. Cracking pair of shoes but can't find a pair for love nor money that are the same so switched to the Saucony peregrine. These are excellent but don't have the emotional attachment yet.

Trail shoes last so long that they are a different thing imo.

https://runrepeat.com/adidas-kanadia-trail

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Running shoes on 09:07 - Feb 5 with 1386 viewsCaptainAhab

Running shoes on 09:49 - Feb 4 by artsbossbeard

I've just about knackered my Brooks Adrenaline runners that I purchased this time last year and served me extremely well with daily use throughout furlough/summer/winter. They really are a decent trainer but you won't get much change out of £100.

I did some research and I've just purchased a pair of Mizuno Wave runners, which I picked up from upandrunning.co.uk for £55. They're last years model - so what?

Everyone's different but I need some cushioning around the front of the foot and a slightly wider fit - both options above are great for this.

I'm after budgetish running shoes too and those Mizunos sound ideal. Never heard of the shop, presume they're legit? How did you find the sizing, true to size? Cheers!
Running shoes on 09:10 - Feb 5 with 1381 viewsartsbossbeard

Running shoes on 09:07 - Feb 5 by CaptainAhab

I'm after budgetish running shoes too and those Mizunos sound ideal. Never heard of the shop, presume they're legit? How did you find the sizing, true to size? Cheers!

Yep, they arrived yesterday (ordered Monday) and are true to size.

Company based in Harrogate.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Running shoes on 10:00 - Feb 5 with 1350 viewsBent_double

I'm a relative newbie to running, started just under a year ago. I got a pair of these

https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-revolution-4-mens-running-shoe-121263#colcode=

as a present - they're even cheaper now - and they're fine for my every-other-day 6k road run. I did read somewhere that running shoes should last between 500 and 700k before you replace them, which is roughly where I am now, but they're still in excellent condition so I'll carry on with them for now.

I'm sure if I had been able to get to a decent sports shop inbetween lockdowns, I would have been persuaded to part with £100+ for a much better pair though.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Running shoes on 09:11 - Feb 6 with 1277 viewsTractorWood

Running shoes on 10:00 - Feb 5 by Bent_double

I'm a relative newbie to running, started just under a year ago. I got a pair of these

https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-revolution-4-mens-running-shoe-121263#colcode=

as a present - they're even cheaper now - and they're fine for my every-other-day 6k road run. I did read somewhere that running shoes should last between 500 and 700k before you replace them, which is roughly where I am now, but they're still in excellent condition so I'll carry on with them for now.

I'm sure if I had been able to get to a decent sports shop inbetween lockdowns, I would have been persuaded to part with £100+ for a much better pair though.

It's not really about the cosmetic condition. It's about the cushioning becoming compacted from the hundreds of k 's of impact. If the cushioning is done, the shoes are not worth the material they are made out of.

I generally change at 350 miles. Regardless of condition. In my experience if you change much after that the cushioning and sole feel like too much of a massive improvement and thus have probably had it.

Trust me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024