Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... 10:32 - Apr 19 with 2008 viewsBlueastheycome

263 appearances for us over 12 years.

Was he actually not that good?

(He was way before my time)
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:44]
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 16:23 - Apr 19 with 341 viewsdickie

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 15:44 - Apr 19 by midastouch

I recall Forrest was a decent enough shop-stopper for that era. Goalkeeper training was nothing then like it is now. I think it might of been his command of the box, cross-taking ability, and kicking that let him down a tad but as a shot stopper (even if he did let 9 in one game!) he was decent for the time. That's what I remember at least. I might be wrong on some of the precise details as my my memory isn't what it used to be. There were plenty of other keepers around that were a lot worse than Forrest at the time. I used to work at a college and a lady who worked there called Sue said that he married a relative of hers (if I recall correctly).

The 9 - 0 still irks me - that goal where the ref blew and Man U scored from the free kick by chipping over Forrest's head was a crime.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 16:45 - Apr 19 with 328 viewsmidastouch

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 16:23 - Apr 19 by dickie

The 9 - 0 still irks me - that goal where the ref blew and Man U scored from the free kick by chipping over Forrest's head was a crime.

Was one of my darkest ever days supporting Town! I went to visit some friends on the Sunday (still feeling very sore from the score the day before) and they had plastered his flat (almost top to bottom!) in various 9 nil newspaper headlines and clippings, I wanted to scream! The mad thing is, didn't we beat them that season at home? I think we did. Can't of been too many teams that took 3 points from a possible 6 against Man U that season. We actually have a pretty decent historical record against Man Utd. We even pinched one of their managers many moons ago.
See here:
https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21772/strange-surreal-and-spectacularly-silly-signi
"Duncan resigned from his duties at Old Trafford and joined Ipswich. Cobbold, with that touch of class missing nowadays, memorably sent two cases of port by way of apology and compensation. "
And of course there is the famous Ipswich 6-0 win against Utd which could of been even better without the missed penalties. That's about the only time I can recall seeing Gary Bailey make a couple of saves, he was a terrible keeper I thought! They nicknamed him Dracula because he couldn't handle crosses. Just watch the 1979 FA Cup final to see why!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 16:52]

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 17:52 - Apr 19 with 294 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Forrest was a decent goalkeeper, certainly better than Jon Hallworth, Ron Fearon etc. Good shot stopper, however his big weakness was kicking which became a major issue when the back pass law came into force in 1992.

Overall I liked him, very nice guy as well. Richard Wright was on another level though when he replaced him.

When it comes to goalkeepers I'd say the top five in my time watching Town are Cooper, Wright, Davis, Bialkowski and Neil Alexander.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 17:57 - Apr 19 with 289 viewsMullet

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 16:45 - Apr 19 by midastouch

Was one of my darkest ever days supporting Town! I went to visit some friends on the Sunday (still feeling very sore from the score the day before) and they had plastered his flat (almost top to bottom!) in various 9 nil newspaper headlines and clippings, I wanted to scream! The mad thing is, didn't we beat them that season at home? I think we did. Can't of been too many teams that took 3 points from a possible 6 against Man U that season. We actually have a pretty decent historical record against Man Utd. We even pinched one of their managers many moons ago.
See here:
https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21772/strange-surreal-and-spectacularly-silly-signi
"Duncan resigned from his duties at Old Trafford and joined Ipswich. Cobbold, with that touch of class missing nowadays, memorably sent two cases of port by way of apology and compensation. "
And of course there is the famous Ipswich 6-0 win against Utd which could of been even better without the missed penalties. That's about the only time I can recall seeing Gary Bailey make a couple of saves, he was a terrible keeper I thought! They nicknamed him Dracula because he couldn't handle crosses. Just watch the 1979 FA Cup final to see why!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 16:52]

It was 8-0. Paul Ince is a massive ladypart and I will not recognise his "goal" until I have no breath left in my body.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 18:17 - Apr 19 with 277 viewsjas0999

At the time, he was a good keeper - great shot-stopper, pulled off some really good saves. But didn’t really command his area and when up against better keepers mentioned in these starting elevens then he isn’t going to feature.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 19:18 - Apr 19 with 247 viewsdickie

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 17:57 - Apr 19 by Mullet

It was 8-0. Paul Ince is a massive ladypart and I will not recognise his "goal" until I have no breath left in my body.

Agreed, i still get rage thinking about it!
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 19:21 - Apr 19 with 243 viewsbrazil1982

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 17:52 - Apr 19 by The_Last_Baron

Forrest was a decent goalkeeper, certainly better than Jon Hallworth, Ron Fearon etc. Good shot stopper, however his big weakness was kicking which became a major issue when the back pass law came into force in 1992.

Overall I liked him, very nice guy as well. Richard Wright was on another level though when he replaced him.

When it comes to goalkeepers I'd say the top five in my time watching Town are Cooper, Wright, Davis, Bialkowski and Neil Alexander.

I enjoyed him giving the finger to Cambridge away fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024