Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick sure did hold us together 19:24 - Mar 7 with 8622 viewsr2d2

Shows how much Mick kept us safely in the championship with no money. That man did wonders when you see the shambles now. I bet the numbskulls feel stupid now. How the hell being in this league is better beats me. But some believed it was. Unbelievable.
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:08 - Mar 7 with 2331 viewsDennyx4

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:50 - Mar 7 by Oxford_Blue

How many supporters were strongly against the appointment of any of his managers?

How many supporters thought it was a good idea to give Lambert a 5 year deal?
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:16 - Mar 7 with 2312 viewsgazzer1999

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:47 - Mar 7 by Ftnfwest

Yeah we never used to get humiliated by lower league teams

You mean like when Sir Bob was here and Shrewsbury turned us over twice?
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:17 - Mar 7 with 2310 viewsFtnfwest

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:05 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

Frankly, I'd quite happily see us get humiliated on live TV once a season by Lincoln if it meant we weren't playing in the third division for the forseeable future, even though The Football Is Better Now.

Oh boy, what a choice though. Off for a strong drink!
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:22 - Mar 7 with 2301 viewsFtnfwest

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:16 - Mar 7 by gazzer1999

You mean like when Sir Bob was here and Shrewsbury turned us over twice?

Yes like that but without actually winning anything either
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:39 - Mar 7 with 2288 viewsBasuco

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:06 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

Ah yes, the football is better now.

Do we also have our club back?

But when you cannot even be bothered to stand up to celebrate a goal because the football is so boring, it is time for that manager to just go and bore fans from another club. Sorry but the MM style is not worth getting out of bed to watch, I have been bored out of my skull too many times at PR to regret him leaving.
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:52 - Mar 7 with 2274 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:31 - Mar 7 by r2d2

If he spends 6 million. Its a figure put about. But no one knows what he really puts in. Probably half that.

No. Read the accounts. If you don’t understand them get someone to explain them. The club has an operating loss of (on average) about £6m a year. It was higher in the early days. That loss is subsidised and it’s not disputed by anyone seriously that Evans isn’t the one doing it.
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:53 - Mar 7 with 2273 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:36 - Mar 7 by r2d2

Thing is Evans is worth a lot more now than when he came in. Yet the club is in a much worse position. I dont get why he stays? How is it beneficial. Sell it for a pound, get out, cut his losses. He wont be paying anything out then. He will lose nothing then. Makes no sense.

Sell to whom?
Mick sure did hold us together on 20:56 - Mar 7 with 2270 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:55 - Mar 7 by MattinLondon

That’s irrelevant. Bad decisions don’t tend to backfire there and then. But I’ll say that quite a few were against Keane and Mick.

That’s the definition of Captain Hindsight. It’s 20/20 vision. Any fool can turn round and be wise after the event. All of his appointments were reasonable, either because they had a track record or because they were young / developing.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:58 - Mar 7 with 2263 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:08 - Mar 7 by Dennyx4

How many supporters thought it was a good idea to give Lambert a 5 year deal?

So you’re answering a question with a question.

As for the deal, it made good sense if there are break clauses (which there are). Either the club carried on top of the league and Lambert was secured here (and we got compensation if he was poached) or if things didn’t work out Evans could sack him anyway with minimal cost. Sound business.
Mick sure did hold us together on 21:04 - Mar 7 with 2254 viewsjobsworthblue

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:58 - Mar 7 by Oxford_Blue

So you’re answering a question with a question.

As for the deal, it made good sense if there are break clauses (which there are). Either the club carried on top of the league and Lambert was secured here (and we got compensation if he was poached) or if things didn’t work out Evans could sack him anyway with minimal cost. Sound business.

The same people who wanted MM out now want Lambert out

I just hope and pray that Evans is strong enough to ignore the nonsense this time
Mick sure did hold us together on 21:07 - Mar 7 with 2248 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:04 - Mar 7 by jobsworthblue

The same people who wanted MM out now want Lambert out

I just hope and pray that Evans is strong enough to ignore the nonsense this time

I’d be prepared to accept lambert being sacked if we get someone better - and not Warnock who is just yet another old name.

If we can’t get anyone better then I’d be prepared to give lambert till Oct / Nov next season although at present the team is in utter free fall so it might be hard for him to stay if this continues.
Mick sure did hold us together on 21:07 - Mar 7 with 2248 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:50 - Mar 7 by Oxford_Blue

How many supporters were strongly against the appointment of any of his managers?

There were plenty who were unenthused by Keane, Jewell, Lambert and even McCarthy for various reasons, but what the fans think is irrelevant really, Evans is the one in control and tasked with making the correct decision

Also whether people were supportive or not at the time doesn’t change the fact that all bar McCarthy have turned out to be absolutely dreadful appointments

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:13 - Mar 7 with 2239 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:07 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There were plenty who were unenthused by Keane, Jewell, Lambert and even McCarthy for various reasons, but what the fans think is irrelevant really, Evans is the one in control and tasked with making the correct decision

Also whether people were supportive or not at the time doesn’t change the fact that all bar McCarthy have turned out to be absolutely dreadful appointments

Before they actually took the job everyone we have appointed has had positives going for them. Keane Sunderland. Jewell Wigan, Mick Wolves, Hurst Shrewsbury. All did good jobs there. That's not to say that there were not genuine and valid reservations about their appointments either though.

On the face of it I don't think Evans has appointed poorly necessarily. I do think the way he runs the club prohibits the managers he appoints though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:14 - Mar 7 with 2240 viewsBlueBadger

Mick sure did hold us together on 20:39 - Mar 7 by Basuco

But when you cannot even be bothered to stand up to celebrate a goal because the football is so boring, it is time for that manager to just go and bore fans from another club. Sorry but the MM style is not worth getting out of bed to watch, I have been bored out of my skull too many times at PR to regret him leaving.

This is just coming across as some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:15 - Mar 7 with 2233 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:14 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

This is just coming across as some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome now.

Oh shut up. I was thoroughly bored at PR when we were in the playoffs, a mere three games from the Premier League.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:18 - Mar 7 with 2229 viewsKeaneish

Mick sure did hold us together on 19:28 - Mar 7 by Oxford_Blue

Yes. And you’ve dared to question the judgment of our fans. The same fans - or a section - who are adamant that the club would be better off without the only person in the world right now who is willing to spend six million - yes, six million - just to keep the club going and that “someone” will magically appear who will spend that six million plus tens of millions on new players.

You realise though that while £6m is a very large figure to us all, it’s actually nothing to a man with an estimated worth of £700m +. For him to put less than 1% of his wealth into our club it does beg the question, what is his ambition?

If I earnt £700 a week or had assets of equivalent worth you could guarantee that I’d be giving more than £6 a week to help the club fulfil its ambition.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 21:22]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:22 - Mar 7 with 2220 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:18 - Mar 7 by Keaneish

You realise though that while £6m is a very large figure to us all, it’s actually nothing to a man with an estimated worth of £700m +. For him to put less than 1% of his wealth into our club it does beg the question, what is his ambition?

If I earnt £700 a week or had assets of equivalent worth you could guarantee that I’d be giving more than £6 a week to help the club fulfil its ambition.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 21:22]

I’m afraid that’s a flawed analogy.

Being worth £700m doesn’t mean you have that money in cash.

If you own a house worth £700,000, but earn £50,000 a year, you’re worth £700,000 but unless you sell the house or remortgage it, you can’t get hold of the cash. Would you really sell your house or borrow just to throw cash at a business that loses money, when you’ve already had your fingers burned in the past?

See my other post. I doubt Evans has the money lying around to release £30-50m which is as a minimum what it would take to get us even remotely competitive in the championship.
Mick sure did hold us together on 21:26 - Mar 7 with 2216 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:22 - Mar 7 by Oxford_Blue

If you own a house worth £700,000, but earn £50,000 a year, you’re worth £700,000 but unless you sell the house or remortgage it, you can’t get hold of the cash. Would you really sell your house or borrow just to throw cash at a business that loses money, when you’ve already had your fingers burned in the past?

See my other post. I doubt Evans has the money lying around to release £30-50m which is as a minimum what it would take to get us even remotely competitive in the championship.

Under your scenario I probably wouldn't buy a football club in the first place.

Let's be honest, he gambled on us. Evans thought he could get us up to the PL on the cheap and then reap the rewards. Never in his worst nightmares did he imagine the current situation he has created.

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:28 - Mar 7 with 2213 viewsOxford_Blue

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:26 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Under your scenario I probably wouldn't buy a football club in the first place.

Let's be honest, he gambled on us. Evans thought he could get us up to the PL on the cheap and then reap the rewards. Never in his worst nightmares did he imagine the current situation he has created.

Agreed. He gambled - but in 2007 the economy was strong (pre crash) and his businesses were no doubt doing well; the amount of money in the Championship was limited so that the investment he was making was pretty significant at the time; and the club had just come 7th with no money. His gamble was to spend £20m or so to have a decent chance of getting in the premiership and remember at this time the club hadn’t been that long out of the premiership and was getting 21-23,000 gates routinely.
Mick sure did hold us together on 21:36 - Mar 7 with 2204 viewsKeaneish

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:22 - Mar 7 by Oxford_Blue

Of course but the fact is, he does have it in some capacity. To the same point as some other posts, he’s is vastly more wealthy now than he was ten years ago but we are in a much more desperate state. So the question is, why are his other businesses prospering but this is failing? The fact it’s a football club is irrelevant, it’s still a business which makes no money and has no successful metrics or KPIs to point to in a decade.

I’d argue there are ulterior motives for owning us. What they are now compared to what they may have been have drastically changed no doubt but he clearly doesn’t have the success of the football club at heart so what’s the point in him floating a loss making business if it doesn’t benefit him elsewhere?

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:38 - Mar 7 with 2200 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:36 - Mar 7 by Keaneish

Of course but the fact is, he does have it in some capacity. To the same point as some other posts, he’s is vastly more wealthy now than he was ten years ago but we are in a much more desperate state. So the question is, why are his other businesses prospering but this is failing? The fact it’s a football club is irrelevant, it’s still a business which makes no money and has no successful metrics or KPIs to point to in a decade.

I’d argue there are ulterior motives for owning us. What they are now compared to what they may have been have drastically changed no doubt but he clearly doesn’t have the success of the football club at heart so what’s the point in him floating a loss making business if it doesn’t benefit him elsewhere?

I don't think there are ulterior motives. He gambled, his fingers were burned and he is now in the process of trying to turn it around. Basically he's in the denial stage.

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:47 - Mar 7 with 2191 viewsKeaneish

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:38 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

I don't think there are ulterior motives. He gambled, his fingers were burned and he is now in the process of trying to turn it around. Basically he's in the denial stage.

What’s he doing to turn it around though? If he hasn’t got the cash, is he trying to raise it? At least with Sheepshanks I felt he was active.

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:48 - Mar 7 with 2189 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick sure did hold us together on 21:47 - Mar 7 by Keaneish

What’s he doing to turn it around though? If he hasn’t got the cash, is he trying to raise it? At least with Sheepshanks I felt he was active.

Still hoping we will get promoted on the cheap, twice now though, would be my guess.

Mick sure did hold us together on 23:28 - Mar 7 with 2160 viewsITFC_Follower

Magic Mick.

I am sure he'd have had enough at some point anyway of having to work the way he did with no resources (not blaming Evans at all he chose the right guy for the job in this respect though not many appreciate that) but the way he was treated by some of the fans was terrible.

Family club....it was not Mick that screwed that just some Numbskulls innit.
Mick sure did hold us together on 01:04 - Mar 8 with 2125 viewshaynes_toe1

How do you have less than 'no' hope?

Because those claiming we had no hope under Mick...we certainly have worse than that now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024