Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... 13:48 - Feb 24 with 5574 viewsVeryStableGenius

Just when I thought that Evans couldn't lose any more of my respect...

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/jim-magilton-interview-in-north

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:41 - Feb 25 with 535 viewsrgp1

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:36 - Feb 25 by sparks

Hardly essential if you can dominate possession- which he had shown his teams could do.

Will never forget us passing an oppoonent to death for 45 minutes without scoring and the boos at half time by igorant idiots. Almost inevitably, spaces opened second half and we won two nil. Comfortably. And people complained it was a poor performance. That is the attitude we battle against.

I agree but I remember Joe Royle saying that you needed ' battle hardened' players in the championship and given the lack of quality in the lower leagues then surely it's more relevant now than ever before.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:45 - Feb 25 with 526 viewsSwansea_Blue

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:36 - Feb 25 by sparks

Hardly essential if you can dominate possession- which he had shown his teams could do.

Will never forget us passing an oppoonent to death for 45 minutes without scoring and the boos at half time by igorant idiots. Almost inevitably, spaces opened second half and we won two nil. Comfortably. And people complained it was a poor performance. That is the attitude we battle against.

It takes years to educate a fan base. Brendan Rodgers was very good at it down here, but I’m struggling to think of anyone we’ve had who’s taken the time to explain what they are trying to do and how we’re trying to play. We get nonsense about forearms.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:47 - Feb 25 with 525 viewssparks

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:41 - Feb 25 by rgp1

I agree but I remember Joe Royle saying that you needed ' battle hardened' players in the championship and given the lack of quality in the lower leagues then surely it's more relevant now than ever before.

Tell that to Fulham. Or even, dare I say it, Norwich.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 23:04 - Feb 25 with 513 viewsrgp1

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:39 - Feb 25 by sparks

He was treated disgustingly by Evans and mor eimrpotantly by fans.

I nearly had a fight with some idiot who repeatedly called him an "irish C-unit" throughout the last match I went to at PR (whenever a player, god forbid, played an imperfect pass).

Havent been back until last weekend.

You're right for a club legend his treatment was appalling considering we were only a smidgen away from the play offs that season. I just thought with the signings like Norris smuliskoski and gio on loan I thought at the time that surely this is something we can build on.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 23:23 - Feb 25 with 507 viewsRyorry

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 19:54 - Feb 25 by stonojnr

absolutely, plus you only had to see his first press conference, the place was packed with national media, it was felt with Evans money to spend we might start to attract players of real star quality through Keanes presence.

and people seem to have forgotten, Magilton had only mentioned he wanted to take up coaching during his last playing season at town and actually expected to retire and go off and earn his coaching badges back in NI, his only assets that led to him being appointed as manager when Joe Royle left was he was very cheap and he already knew all the players names, we actually appointed Klug alongside him to work as the coach.

and Magilton spent that first season in charge, just like he'd done as a player on the pitch, shouting and bawling out anyone who did anything wrong, or that he felt he could have done better himself, which is fine when you are a player, fine maybe even as captain, it doesnt work as a manager, long term you end up actually exactly as Keane turned out, its just Keanes personality resulted in that happening quicker.

"shouting and bawling out anyone who did anything wrong, or that he felt he could have done better himself, which is fine when you are a player, fine maybe even as captain, it doesnt work as a manager, long term you end up actually exactly as Keane turned out"

I think that depends entirely on the individual. Someone like Jim, clearly hotheaded & passionate about both his football & ITFC, who loses it briefly in the interests of those committments but otherwise is someone the players like & respect, is a totally different kettle of fish to someone like Roy Keane who appeared to have no inclinaction to even try to understand others, never mind showing anything resembling man-management abilities. I'll never forget or forgive him for the way he cold-shouldered Owen Garvan when he first arrived, when he had been Garvan's childhood hero. (from an interview and/or report on it at the time).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 23:31 - Feb 25 with 495 viewsRocky

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 23:23 - Feb 25 by Ryorry

"shouting and bawling out anyone who did anything wrong, or that he felt he could have done better himself, which is fine when you are a player, fine maybe even as captain, it doesnt work as a manager, long term you end up actually exactly as Keane turned out"

I think that depends entirely on the individual. Someone like Jim, clearly hotheaded & passionate about both his football & ITFC, who loses it briefly in the interests of those committments but otherwise is someone the players like & respect, is a totally different kettle of fish to someone like Roy Keane who appeared to have no inclinaction to even try to understand others, never mind showing anything resembling man-management abilities. I'll never forget or forgive him for the way he cold-shouldered Owen Garvan when he first arrived, when he had been Garvan's childhood hero. (from an interview and/or report on it at the time).

Yes, not sure if Jim is ever cut out for club management. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is always likely to fall out with players who he thinks are not taking his words on board. But what is for sure is that he would have done a thousand times better than the succession of managers that Evans replaced him with.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 01:57 - Feb 26 with 456 viewsCrock

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:27 - Feb 25 by rgp1

Yes but we lacked a physical approach like we do now. The team had no height for example as we had players like Byron Lawrence and Alan Quinn, technically good players but standing at 2 foot 6!

Byron Lawrence played 1 game for us and that was when Paul Jewell was manager.

Poll: Favourite number?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024